• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Review Thread

Should we lock this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 196 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 628 76.2%

• Total voters

s-bojan

Banned
There are zero 3rd person cutscene...
This is not true.
It is evident that you did not play the whole game and are just parroting what you've heard about the game.
The game was rushed out in an unfinished state, marketing lied a lot, it's ok to call them out on that and still like the game.
Rushed? It was.
Unfinished? Well, that is debatable.
I agree that they should be called out or even sued, but we had too much negativity since the game released.
That is why it's refreshing seeing the Girlfriend Reviews review of the game. They did not take an easy way and went with a clickbaity video.
They're getting sued by the way. Maybe they should choose their attorney on Gaf, it seems there are tons of people ready to defend them for free here.
I don't care about that. I've bought the game and enjoyed it.
I don't own their stocks, so...
I don't even have any previous love for CDPR, did not finish any prior game they've made (not into fantasy at all).

Last edited:

mr.dilya

Banned
Doing a second playthough and another big peve I have with the game are the fixers.

There's no build up with them. You just get a random call with a shit introduction and then you're off doing a load of fetch quests for them.

Massive waste of potential there. Just lazy

You’ve been bitching about the game since it’s release and yet you are on your second playthrough. This isn’t a job bro, if you don’t like it stop playing it.

harmny

Banned
You’ve been bitching about the game since it’s release and yet you are on your second playthrough. This isn’t a job bro, if you don’t like it stop playing it.
brawlhalla.jpg

Attack the argument, not the poster.

I'm on the phone with the CEO of CDPR as we speak so just let me know if you want a taste of his dick yeah?

Last edited:

mr.dilya

Banned
I'm on the phone with the CEO of CDPR as we speak so just let me know if you want a taste of his dick yeah?

Lol. I have my issues with cyberpunk and I personally give it an 85 after just finishing it....But I enjoyed the game overall and am on my second playthrough.

You however despise the game, do nothing but complain about it, but yet you can’t stop playing it. Why are you playing a game you obviously don’t enjoy? So you can shit up threads on the internet?

harmny

Banned

you can't be on the phone with him. i'm watching him fuck my wife right now.

Lol. I have my issues with cyberpunk and I personally give it an 85 after just finishing it....But I enjoyed the game overall and am on my second playthrough.

You however despise the game, do nothing but complain about it, but yet you can’t stop playing it. Why are you playing a game you obviously don’t enjoy? So you can shit up threads on the internet?

so he can talk about how other people like the penis of marcin iwinski. the penis he thinks about every single night while he is laying on his bed alone.

Last edited:

You see lots of complaints from me about the game because the game has a lot of issues

Still enjoying it as a Witcher 3 reskin. I just didn't want it to be a Witcher 3 reskin

So, he's about to drop the call for his next investors meeting. You up for that dick tasting or not?

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

Well he obviously enjoys it enough to keep playing it.

Personally I have a love/hate relationship with the game. When it's good it can be very good but there are so many glaring issues that just can't be dismissed.

I'd sum this game up as the biggest missed opportunity of the generation. It could have gone down as the greatest game of the generation if they fixed the obvious issues, fleshed a few things out more, stuck to their promises and didn't resort to lazy copy/paste game design in order to fill the world with activities.

you can't be on the phone with him. i'm watching him fuck my wife right now.

so he can talk about how other people like the penis of marcin iwinski. the penis he thinks about every single night while he is laying on his bed alone.

Get off Gaf you're meant to be tickling his balls.

Lemondish

i will answer you. because the game is not gta. the game is not a sandbox focused on random open world interactions and activities. its a narrative driven action adventure rpg.do you compare gta quests, side quests, dialogue choices, leveling, skills, builds, perks and player agency to cyberpunk or the witcher? or criticize it for the lack of those features?
why don't you compare the game to other games of its genre like HZD. GoT. AC. Spiderman. TW3. and see how all of those worlds are even more just "facades" with braindead random npcs that don't do crap. btw in all of the games i mentioned you can't even kill them and there is no law system at all. however nobody complains about that and reviewers praise the world
It is a sandbox because they have enabled that level of interaction.

It is also how they described the game.

Wanna try again there, bub?

harmny

Banned
Well he obviously enjoys it enough to keep playing it.

Personally I have a love/hate relationship with the game. When it's good it can be very good but there are so many glaring issues that just can't be dismissed.

I'd sum this game up as the biggest missed opportunity of the generation. It could have gone down as the greatest game of the generation if they fixed the obvious issues, fleshed a few things out more, stuck to their promises and didn't resort to lazy copy/paste game design in order to fill the world with activities.
if you think the world activities are copy paste game design i can't take your opinion seriously. literally every gig on the map is different. that is the opposite of copy/paste. only cyan activities are copy paste and they exist just to let you grind money experience if you want to. you can ignore them. maybe what you mean is that the content is handmade instead of emergent or procedural. but that doesn't mean is copy pasted. they always said it was going to be like that. like the witcher 3
Get off Gaf you're meant to be tickling his balls.
i am i can write with one hand. get off gaf and keep playing the game you secretly love.
It is a sandbox because they have enabled that level of interaction.

It is also how they described the game.

Wanna try again there, bub?
https://www.vgr.com/cyberpunk-2077-goof-wont-be-gta/
oh yeah? they did? look at this 2018 article.

Cyberpunk 2077 Will Let Players “Goof Around” But Won’t be Like GTA V​

"whether it’s side quests or encounters waiting for you on the streets of Night City, it will be crafted by us with a lot of love and care. Whilst it’s very humbling to us to have our game be compared to GTA, with Cyberpunk 2077, we are striving for a different, story-driven experience…"

Last edited:
if you think the world activities are copy paste game design i can't take your opinion seriously. literally every gig on the map is different. that is the opposite of copy/paste. only cyan activities are copy paste and they exist just to let you grind money experience if you want to. you can ignore them.

i am i can write with one hand. get off gaf and keep playing the game you secretly love.

https://www.vgr.com/cyberpunk-2077-goof-wont-be-gta/

oh yeah? they did? look at that 2018 article

"whether it’s side quests or encounters waiting for you on the streets of Night City, it will be crafted by us with a lot of love and care. Whilst it’s very humbling to us to have our game be compared to GTA, with Cyberpunk 2077, we are striving for a different, story-driven experience…"

He's just told me you tickle like a crippled gorilla so get off gaf and do your job properly

GHG

Gold Member
if you think the world activities are copy paste game design i can't take your opinion seriously. literally every gig on the map is different. that is the opposite of copy/paste. only cyan activities are copy paste and they exist just to let you grind money experience if you want to. you can ignore them. maybe what you mean is that the content is handmade instead of emergent or procedural. but that doesn't mean is copy pasted. they always said it was going to be like that. like the witcher 3

So what are all the blue icons then? The NCPD stuff is literally the definition of open world copy paste filler.

Sorry you don't live in the real world.

So you agree that they are copy paste but you can't cope with the fact that it's a valid flaw with the game?

It's ok, you can pretend to live in a world where the game is perfect. Have fun.

Probably arguing it's all more unique than in your average Ubi title and I agree. I've had a lot of fun with the content you deem copy and paste. In fact I think the main story missions are slightly lacking compared to the little stuff in the world to do, the character, dialogue and story work make up for it but the actual mission structure for story missions often feels lacking compared to the freedom the open world encounters give you.

harmny

Banned
So you agree that they are copy paste but you can't cope with the fact that it's a valid flaw with the game?

It's ok, you can pretend to live in a world where the game is perfect. Have fun.

i agree that ncpd activities are copy pasted. not that it's a valid flaw because you have tons of side quests that are handcrafted. much more than your average game so ncpd activities are just there to add something if people want to play more but it's not like you run out of content in 5 hours without them.

let's break down the side content.
side jobs - handcrafted same production value as main quest. that alone is better than 99% of other games
gigs - handcrafted lower production value but still better than 99% of other games where side quests are usually crap
ncpd activities - copy paste activities to grind money and experience

so you nitpick the low priority ncpd activities and use that to say the world is full of filler lazy copy paste crap when that is not the case. you can easily ignore that content if you don't like it because you have dozens of hours of actually handcrafted gigs and side jobs. you are talking like this game is ubisoft level of copy pasted crap.
if they removed the ncpd missions would you praise the game for how different and unique the side content is?

Last edited:

Mozzarella

i agree that ncpd activities are copy pasted. not that it's a valid flaw because you have tons of side quests that are handcrafted. much more than your average game so ncpd activities are just there to add something if people want to play more but it's not like you run out of content in 5 hours without them.

let's break down the side content.
side jobs - handcrafted same production value as main quest. that alone is better than 99% of other games
gigs - handcrafted lower production value but still better than 99% of other games where side quests are usually crap
ncpd activities - copy paste activities to grind money and experience

so you nitpick the low priority ncpd activities and use that to say the world is full of filler lazy copy paste crap when that is not the case. you can easily ignore that content if you don't like it because you have dozens of hours of actually handcrafted gigs and side jobs. you are talking like this game is ubisoft level of copy pasted crap.
if they removed the ncpd missions would you praise the game for how different and unique the side content is?
This break down is similar to the one i once made to some new player in Witcher 3.
I told him about the quest structure the same way you explained this but in a little more detail.

I also used numbers to rank them in terms of priority to playing the game.

(From most important to least important)
Witcher 3:

1- Main Quests (Story)
2- Secondary Quests (Extra Story development for the side and main cast and major influence on ending)
3- Side Quests (Well written and unique side quests, some are funny like the bank in Toussaint some are sad like the one with the werewolf in Velen.) + (Also forgot to add Gwent and fistfight and racing if you want)
4- Contracts (Mini-boss fights with Witcher sense investigation to gather mutagens and fight monsters, well written as well and sometimes has choices too)
5- Random Encounters (All kind of things, adds life to the open world)
6- Treasure Hunts (Gear and exploration, in the 2nd DLC it has good backstory)
7- Points of Interest (Grind and XP, for people who enjoy the gameplay, sometimes leads to a side quest, open up villages and by opening it up you may open a new quest too)

Just like you said, the main quests and secondary quests are both on same production value.
Side quests like you said about gigs, However i would say Witcher 3 ones were better.
Contracts is probably closer to gigs than side quests, a side quest like Paperchase is actually unique and interesting.
Random Encounters are those ! you find on the map in yellow and they sometimes lead to a bigger side quest too. But sometimes they are just an encounter like that dude who wants to duel Geralt to prove he is worthy to his girl. Its a series of encounters actually, another thing Witcher 3 did better imo.
Treasure hunts and Points of interest are kinda repetitive but as you said those are to grind money and test your gameplay abilities on enemies.

Cyberpunk 2077:
1- Main Jobs (Story)
2- Side Jobs (Extra Story development for the side and main cast and major influence on ending)
3- Gigs (Nothing impressive from point of writing, but good to play the game and try different weapons and gameplay approaches)
4- NCPD (as you said grind xp and items)

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
This is not true.
It is evident that you did not play the whole game and are just parroting what you've heard about the game

I finished the game with two different endings. Feel free to ask questions.

The only time your character can be viewed is when he / she looks in the mirror.

There is zero 3rd person cutscene with the player like the one in promotional material when the demo scavenger mission ends.

Rushed? It was.
Unfinished? Well, that is debatable.
I agree that they should be called out or even sued, but we had too much negativity since the game released.
That is why it's refreshing seeing the Girlfriend Reviews review of the game. They did not take an easy way and went with a clickbaity video.

I don't care about that. I've bought the game and enjoyed it.
I don't own their stocks, so...
I don't even have any previous love for CDPR, did not finish any prior game they've made (not into fantasy at all).

I finished the witcher 3 and loved it. It was a lot more polished and choices mattered more.

Outside of a graphical downgrade, very few lies were used in its promotional material.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
Jesus christ kid give it a rest. You know how game development works right? You seem to not understand

Tell that to the people who currently sue them kid. Apparently they don't know about that either. They seem to think CDPR lied a bit too much and that it deserves a class action. I kinda agree with them.

You should go cheerlead them with harmny at the trial.

Last edited:

Isendurl

Tell that to the people who currently sue them kid. Apparently they don't know about that either. They seem to think CDPR lied a bit too much and that it deserves a class action. I kinda agree with them.

You should go cheerlead them with harmny at the trial.

I mean, you know they are getting sued by their investors right? Investors are suing them, because they feel they withheld info about technical state of the game on last gen consoles from them. It has nothing to do with marketing or missing features...

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
I mean, you know they are getting sued by their investors right? Investors are suing them, because they feel they withheld info about technical state of the game on last gen consoles from them. It has nothing to do with marketing or missing features...

Hiding the state of the last gen version is just another lie on the pile, I don't see how it isn't linked.

They're sued because they lied and mislead people.

Isendurl

Hiding the state of the last gen version is just another lie on the pile, I don't see how it isn't linked.

They're sued because they lied and mislead people.

Oh, so even though it has nothing to do with your original post, you are using it because its convenient.

Got it.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
Oh, so even though it has nothing to do with your original post, you are using it because its convenient.

Got it.

They made multiple lies, including this one stating last gen versions were running fine. And so they're being sued because they lied and mislead people on this game. Which is what I complain about.

I'm not sure what's so hard to grasp here.

It's a good thing corporations can still be sued that way, you should be happy.

Cheerleading for corporations doesn't make sense. It doesn't help anybody. Be like Johnny Silverhand instead.

Last edited:

Isendurl

I'm not sure what's so hard to grasp here.
Im not sure either, yet here we are.

btw Im not cheering for anybody. I was jut making sure you understand why they are getting sued. Now when its clear you dont understand its pointless to continue this argument.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
Im not sure either, yet here we are.

btw Im not cheering for anybody. I was jut making sure you understand why they are getting sued. Now when its clear you dont understand its pointless to continue this argument.

Yes, the world doesn't understand, only CDPR Defense Force and cheerleaders understand things well. The investors are stupid too.

CDPR lied and mislead people about this game, so they're getting sued. That's pretty simple actually.

Last edited:

Isendurl

Yes, the world doesn't understand, only CDPR Defense Force and cheerleaders understand things well. The investors are stupid too.

CDPR lied and mislead people about this game, so they're getting sued. That's pretty simple actually.

I was not aware I was in CDPR Defense force, but thats ok, been called worse.

Just so you know I feel kinda bad now I called you names in my previous post. Hope you did not took it too personally. :messenger_winking:

Have a nice Christmas dude. (y)

Krisprolls

Banned
I was not aware I was in CDPR Defense force, but thats ok, been called worse.

Just so you know I feel kinda bad now I called you names in my previous post. Hope you did not took it too personally. :messenger_winking:

Have a nice Christmas dude. (y)

Wow, nice comeback. Happy christmas too !

For what it's worth, I didn't say you were in CDPR Defense Force, but apparently it was obvious to you ironically.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
Wow, nice comeback. Happy christmas too !

For what it's worth, I didn't say you were in CDPR Defense Force, but apparently it was obvious to you ironically.

happy christmas!
better christmas than cdpr developers i can tell you that.

Last edited:
I've been more impressed with Valhallas mysteries than the side quests in this game.

Just did two quests that involved the monk and a BD and what snooze fest those were

Also fixer missions are just a load of fetch quests

Last edited:

Phase

I've been more impressed with Valhallas mysteries than the side quests in this game.

Just did two quests that involved the monk and a BD and what snooze fest those were

Also fixer missions are just a load of fetch quests
How good is Valhalla? I haven't bought an Assassin's Creed game since 2. It seemed somewhat janky on the videos I watched.

harmny

Banned
I've been experiencing all of them

The good side quests are few and far between. The rest is just busy work or just plain unengaging (i.e the monk quest)

It's normal to find them Boring after your fifth playthrough. let the game rest for a little bit you have been playing it 24/7 for weeks

Last edited:
It's normal to find them Boring after your fifth playthrough. let the game rest for a little bit you have been playing it 24/7 for weeks

2nd playthough. 1st one I didn't interact with the side content much. This time around I am and sorry to break to it you, but once the honeymoon phase wears off you'll come to terms with how dissapointing the side content actually is.

There's the occasional cool questlines like the hunt, and the one with delamain, but it's clear the majority of this stuff was rushed to get more content out of the door

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've been experiencing all of them

The good side quests are few and far between. The rest is just busy work or just plain unengaging (i.e the monk quest)

I thought the monk sidequest was interesting even if it was simple in terms of mechanics. A fun short little infiltration mission with some interesting lore contextualization.

I thought the monk sidequest was interesting even if it was simple in terms of mechanics. A fun short little infiltration mission with some interesting lore contextualization.
Do you mean the monk brothers where one got cyberfied? (One i actually quite liked, but was too short)

Talking about the monk who has you mediating with a BD. I've run into him twice and I just skip his diologue its that boring.

Lethal01

It's too bad that's not much of a compliment since it's main quest is mediocre at it's best and often worse than those 99% of games
And the Gig are often less fun than even rat hunting quests in FF7

EDMIX

I mean....do you not hear what you are saying? Sir they're literally being sued for omitting information to their own investors why would they not then omit information from consumers? I have no fucking problem with a game missing a few features but the purposeful LACK OF TRANSPARANCY of the massive laundry list of things that are missing in this game are so substantial it's starting to make it sound as if there's a fraud involved as in it was their intent to tell people about a feature that literally was never going to be put in the game with the hopes that consumers would purchase the game based on something that did not exist.

So I'm willing to excuse stuff like wall running or even the train not being in the game for you to ride but when you're omitting information like the artificial intelligence of the NPCs not having their daily lives like the bullshit that was stated previously or the cops having the ability to accept bribes or the weather being Dynamic with acid rain I mean my God the list just goes on and it tells me there was intent to continue to say this stuff to mislead the public especially since they're fucking being sued for misleading their investors.

It means the company's comment cannot be taken at face value you cannot actually accept what they're saying if they're already lying about other things.

Even if we want to run on the classic BS excuse of "things change over the years doe" 2 months? What on Earth happened to the car tuning?

So...in 2 months, that shit didn't exist? Yet this game was suppose to fucking come out in April 2020... So I'm greatly questioning how much of this game really was going to exist back in April if this is what we are getting in December. They lied to investors, I see no reason to then believe they wouldn't lie to consumers.

edit.

and before anyone starts to pretend that none of us expected some tuning shit, never forget.....

We simply expected the game to be what the developers in clear English told us it would be. So I followed this game for years, I've criticized them for a long time too, but even I was expecting 2 fucking months from release they'd have features they are telling us IN THE FUCKING TRAILERS of the game. Why make this if its not working at all? It sounds like the intent was to get sales more then actually making a working, functional product.

Last edited:

tassletine

2nd playthough. 1st one I didn't interact with the side content much. This time around I am and sorry to break to it you, but once the honeymoon phase wears off you'll come to terms with how dissapointing the side content actually is.

There's the occasional cool questlines like the hunt, and the one with delamain, but it's clear the majority of this stuff was rushed to get more content out of the door
I think in general they're pretty well done, and I appreciate that a lot of the levels are actually designed with stealth in mind like a puzzle -- But the elephant in the room is The City.

After you pick your jaw off the floor you realise that it's probably designed like this to obscure draw distance, and it's very repetitive, so few missions really stick out.
I loved a couple of the missions in the corp buildings but warehouses and nightclubs all look the same. It would have been nice to enter some different buildings like maybe a theatre, or sports arena, just things a regular city has, something else apart from nightclubs and porno shops. There's lots of people walking around, but where are they going?

Top Bottom