• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Review Thread

Should we lock this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 196 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 628 76.2%

• Total voters

Krisprolls

Banned
Exacly, to get the Religious one you have to not shoot the guard, First time I did but died second time I let it play out and BAM! whole new quest line, Then in another quest I got a side mission from a new guy and F'd it up and well now not any more sidequests, from him, Honestly the design is fantastic.

The main quest and main side quests play mostly the same whatever your choices. The only half complex one is the one with Maelstrom gang, which is the only one they showed before release, like marketing does so well.
The game ending only has 3 different branches including 2 which finish the same with the same final boss, and that's only if you finished 2 other predefined linear side quest arcs (Panam's arc and Johnny's arc). Otherwise there's only a single ending, whatever happened before in your dozens of hours of game time.
I retried multiple quests and nothing changed really. Your life paths don't matter at all either except for flavor text. All this is mostly linear to me.

Basically you may click or not on blue sentences and it doesn't change anything outside of flavor text. Clicking on yellow dialogue advance the story, mostly always in the same way. That's not really New Vegas level, and it's an old game now.

Last edited:

nowhat

You think so? I haven't played Deus Ex in a while, but it feels really similar to me in terms of how many routes there are in many missions. I always start with a stealth approach and it's fun finding different ways to approach an objective. I think the combat is more satisfying, too, so I don't save scum nearly as much as the Deux Ex games and instead just roll with the situation.
I suppose the comparison is unfair, Deus Ex is still (predominantly) a stealth game. I find games that have stealth in them but are really not about stealth fall into two categories: either stealth is way too OP or it is frustrating, and for me this falls into the latter category. I don't think there are enough traversal options, where's my invisibility cloak ("active camo" is a thing in the game world), but most of all, the enemy AI is just so brain dead it makes everything unpredictable and thus not so fun. As a shooter Cyberpunk certainly beats Deus Ex though, no arguments there.

I suppose the comparison is unfair, Deus Ex is still (predominantly) a stealth game. I find games that have stealth in them but are really not about stealth fall into two categories: either stealth is way too OP or it is frustrating, and for me this falls into the latter category. I don't think there are enough traversal options, where's my invisibility cloak ("active camo" is a thing in the game world), but most of all, the enemy AI is just so brain dead it makes everything unpredictable and thus not so fun. As a shooter Cyberpunk certainly beats Deus Ex though, no arguments there.

Also some enemies have sixth sense when you do stealth kills

Bloody infuriating

Last edited:
You think so? I haven't played Deus Ex in a while, but it feels really similar to me in terms of how many routes there are in many missions. I always start with a stealth approach and it's fun finding different ways to approach an objective. I think the combat is more satisfying, too, so I don't save scum nearly as much as the Deux Ex games and instead just roll with the situation.

Nope. Heck, even the original Deus Ex has better level design (another other things). Deus Ex open world this is definitely NOT.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. Heck, even the original Deus Ex has better level design (another other things). Deus Ex open world this is definitely NOT.

Eh, scratching the same itch for me. Just less save scumming.

I definitely disagree here what's amazing about cyberpunk is how many small little self-contained Deus ex type levels there are if you do all the side content. They're not all amazing but there's so much of it and a lot of it is right on par with a Deus ex. It's probably the most fun open world I've ever experienced because of this.

aries_71

So in terms of player choice this is more or less like Mass Effect... but with less freedom in the dialogues. In Mass Effect your paradigm status changed quite a bit your action/responses, but not here.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
So in terms of player choice this is more or less like Mass Effect... but with less freedom in the dialogues. In Mass Effect your paradigm status changed quite a bit your action/responses, but not here.
Nope.. You can choose dialog paths that will end major side-stories.

Example:

Last edited:
hey, you kids need to really play this game with reshade, and add Sharpening HDR plus Vibrance.

game needs sharpening bad bc it has this weird blurry ass film over the image.

mine is = AMD sharpening at 3000, HDR, Vibrance

Cyberpunk-2077-Screenshot-2020-12-23-20-06-27-51.png
Cyberpunk-2077-Screenshot-2020-12-23-20-21-42-48.png
Cyberpunk-2077-Screenshot-2020-12-24-18-38-20-88.png
Cyberpunk-2077-Screenshot-2020-12-23-20-21-04-40.png

Tranquil

So I've been cruzing along having fun doing side gigs trying to level up and now I'm stuck with nothing I can do, I have only 3 quests available and they all want me to wait...

crzLRls.jpg

XFQqFan.jpg

FhH93TP.jpg

Gtafans93

The main quest and main side quests play mostly the same whatever your choices. The only half complex one is the one with Maelstrom gang, which is the only one they showed before release, like marketing does so well.
The game ending only has 3 different branches including 2 which finish the same with the same final boss, and that's only if you finished 2 other predefined linear side quest arcs (Panam's arc and Johnny's arc). Otherwise there's only a single ending, whatever happened before in your dozens of hours of game time.
I retried multiple quests and nothing changed really. Your life paths don't matter at all either except for flavor text. All this is mostly linear to me.

Basically you may click or not on blue sentences and it doesn't change anything outside of flavor text. Clicking on yellow dialogue advance the story, mostly always in the same way. That's not really New Vegas level, and it's an old game now.
well the main and side quests that stem from each other have to connect somehow but side gigs are just well done in terms of choice and flavor, But even still if you Eff up a side quest that connects to the main quest the endings are lost or gained to you. and even then the secret ending is only available with certain parameters. It's RPG gold goodness. not the second coming of gaming but still solid

Hugare

Doing a second playthough and another big peve I have with the game are the fixers.

There's no build up with them. You just get a random call with a shit introduction and then you're off doing a load of fetch quests for them.

Massive waste of potential there. Just lazy
I believe that they've done it this way in order to make it non linear and more fluid

In GTA you usually meet a new "fixer" during a mission or something. But you have to wait until the story progresses to meet him/her.

In Cyberpunk all you have to do is to get to a new district. Then you get a call.
Also, getting a call is lame, but its more "straight to the point" than "meet me at X".

I see it as a design choice, but it could probably be to save development time, of course.

I'm fine with meeting fixers only at the end of their storyline like Delamaine (and Regina? I've seen a video where you meet her face to face)

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

So, why are people complaining about Karak's review? I think its pretty fair. I mean I like the game but its pretty obvious it has a lot of issues and we should point these things out so they get fixed. Pretending that everything is fine won't help anybody.

Same reason every child lost their minds when BotW didn't get perfect 10s across the board.

Krisprolls

Banned
All the lies of the marketing on this game summarized in a long video :

Listing all the lies and cut features takes 33 fucking minutes... That must be some kind of world record.

Never again... I liked the game as a good linear action adventure game, but that's extremely far from what was promised.

They lied a ton about that game. From 3rd person cutscenes to complete lack of standard NPCs AI to the lack of importance of your starting path to dozens of other things... Very few things were true. Shameful.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned

Listing all the lies and cut features takes 33 fucking minutes... That must be some kind of world record.

Never again... I liked the game as a good linear action adventure game, but that's extremely far from what was promised.

They lied a ton about that game. From 3rd person cutscenes to complete lack of standard NPCs AI to the lack of importance of your starting path to dozens of other things... Very few things were true. Shameful.

You can do a video like that about every game released in history. That's why the pre release footage/trailers have many disclaimers that say "work in progress. Things are subject to change"

Jethalal

Banned
Last edited:

JayK47

That is why I do not pay attention to early videos of games or listen to the developers tell me what will be in it. It is too early to say what will be in a game like this. Games get edited all the time and it is dumb to set expectations too high. I am having fun with the game because I have realistic expectations. The devs never promised me the world. When something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. It surprises me how many people are pissed off because the game did not meet their unrealistic expectations. I remember so many great games that fell short of the hype, but I still loved them anyways. STALKER is one. Deus Ex Mankind Divided is another one. I could go all day. Between gamers falling for hype and pre-ordering, being disappointed is to be expected.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I also like how the story is picking up in Act 2, although a bit too much exposition with multiple main quests advancing at the same time. I liked the Witcher 3 approach where each part was split between opposite regions you could pursue separately.

That is why I do not pay attention to early videos of games or listen to the developers tell me what will be in it. It is too early to say what will be in a game like this. Games get edited all the time and it is dumb to set expectations too high. I am having fun with the game because I have realistic expectations. The devs never promised me the world. When something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. It surprises me how many people are pissed off because the game did not meet their unrealistic expectations. I remember so many great games that fell short of the hype, but I still loved them anyways. STALKER is one. Deus Ex Mankind Divided is another one. I could go all day. Between gamers falling for hype and pre-ordering, being disappointed is to be expected.

STALKER fell short of the hype? Say what now?

GenericUser

It's a strange game. I boot it up from time to time to look at the game and do one or two quests, but then I get bored and turn it off again. I don't know. I played for like five hours now and the story does not seem to go anywhere and it feels as if there is no real reason to push forward. The world is beautiful, but I don't feel like as I'm a part of it, it feels like my presence in the game is meaningless. Kinda meh. I just finished baldurs gate 1 and 2 before this game and also got pretty far in fallout 4 and in comparison, cyberpunk's writing feels sluggish.

dalekjay

Don't really want to delve into reviews too much due to possible spoilers. But is there any information regarding next gen performance? Have the choice to go for ps5 or xsx, but rather go ps5. Just worried that backward compatibility mode will be weaker on ps5 despite parity in performances in compatible next gen games that have been seen so far.

BTW, it is nice to be able to speak about a video game freely... Imagine. On a video game site!
I’m going playing like a Series X, it’s incredible and if people said that’s already the next gen upgraded I would believe it! Playing since day 1
My wife is at 100h (?!) and just re started from scratch, and is literally her first game in her life hahah, she don’t play because she doesn’t like games because violence and shooting, and here she is with 100h reading every codex and restarting on Hard

Isendurl

Nah, it's far worse here. There are tons more lies than we usually have. Compare to other marketing materials, it's not even close.

Can we stop with this fucking rhetoric? No, they did not lie, they considered a lot of features for their ambitious game and they had to cut a lot of them, probably because of lack of time AS EVERY GAME IN FUCKING HISTORY and btw we knew that a lot of these features were no longer in the game even before the game came out. Stop believing everything you see on the internet.

Your standards are too low.

Or maybe Im just not miserable human being that needs every piece of entertainment to be perfect because his life isn't. 🙄
Now excuse me Mr. high standards I will go to enjoy my imperfect game.

Edit: Edited for my peace of mind.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned

Jesus christ kid give it a rest. You know how game development works right? You seem to not understand

hemo memo

Gold Member

They are already getting sued so we are just going to wait until they fix the game to an acceptable state.

s-bojan

Banned

I must admit that I did not watch the video, but based on your comment, it's probably similar to those Reddit posts we see often these days.
As for the 3rd person cutscenes, we knew for more than a year that the whole (well, not whole, but no spoilers here) game will be in the 1st person:

And after playing the game, I can say that they were right - both the gameplay and story-telling benefited from this.
I've been playing Mankind Divided again and it's not nearly as immersive as CP was.

The whole game being in the 1st person impressed me way more than the single shot thing in God of War.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
I must admit that I did not watch the video, but based on your comment, it's probably similar to those Reddit posts we see often these days.
As for the 3rd person cutscenes, we knew for more than a year that the whole (well, not whole, but no spoilers here) game will be in 1st person:

And after playing the game, they achieved what they wanted.
The whole game being in the 1st person impressed me way more than the single shot thing in God of War.

God of War was way more impressive to me graphically, at least way more consistently beautiful for sure, as it should as it's mostly not open world.

Open world games are usually inconsistent graphically since you can't control fully the environment. There will always be ugly angles, and there are tons of them in Cyberpunk for sure.

But that's not the point here.

They made promotional videos and gameplay demos where a lot of things were non existing features and false promises.

Like your quest choices would influence the world, the 3rd person cutscenes they showed... You can't even make the V they used in the real game. There are zero 3rd person cutscene... The game changing life paths have zero influence on the game.

They talked about a dynamic world reacting to you, and in the real game, the world is as static and dead as it gets. With the most brain dead one liners NPCs ever. Unable to drive a car, unable to flee. Alzheimer cops with teleportation skills you didn't even get on PS2.

If we accept this kind of marketing, then everything is ok I guess.

The game was rushed out in an unfinished state, marketing lied a lot, it's ok to call them out on that and still like the game.

They're getting sued by the way. Maybe they should choose their attorney on Gaf, it seems there are tons of people ready to defend them for free here.

Last edited:

nowhat

There are zero 3rd person cutdcene...
Actually... (spoiler regarding one of the endings)
If you decide to go fuck it and off yourself, there is a third-person cutscene, as brief as it is. But seems to work well with your custom character.

Top Bottom