• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Review Thread

Should we lock this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 196 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 628 76.2%

• Total voters

harmny

Banned
I agree. I liked that game a lot but I distinctly remember the combat being shit, tons of bugs and it having things like your horse continuously running when it got to walls etc. It wasn't polished.

That CDPR tried to do Night City with this sort of AI is a crime though -- Knowing full well they would be compared to GTA they just didn't seem to want to even attempt it. The AI in Goldeneye was better than this.
It's abysmal, and the shooting hovers between being piss easy and one shot you're dead annoying. They really don't know what they're doing.

the combat ai is not bad. random npcs walking on the street are bad. and the shooting is better than every rpg i've played

I love ACGs reviews but I think he was very harsh on this one. Bad textures? awful pop in? terrible rain effects? I just don't agree.

to me it sounds like the hate train is rolling so let's destroy this game nitpicking every single thing we can because "fuck cdpr for releasing a broken game" is the trend right now. many youtubers went from "cdpr can do no wrong i love them" to "CDPR DID EVERYTHING WRONG THEY ARE THE WORST DEVELOPER IN THE WORLD" hyperbole everywhere because outrage sells.

of course crashes. awful performance and game breaking bugs are important. but things i've never seen being criticized before are being pointed out like they are super important and broken when nobody really gives a crap about them in the first place and they are actually not as bad as they sound. especially compared to other games of the same genre.

Last edited:
I love how, before, people were like, "I'm going to wait my man Karak's review; he is the only one I trust." And now, after he has reviewed it and said his thoughts, you got people saying stuff like"he was very harsh," "reviews are pointless," and "I don't think I can trust him to be honest."

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
I love how, before, people were like, "I'm going to wait my man Karak's review; he is the only one I trust." And now, after he has reviewed it and said his thoughts, you got people saying stuff like"he was very harsh," "reviews are pointless," and "I don't think I can trust him to be honest."

you are quoting different people that's why. neogaf has different users with different opinions.
i never said i was waiting for karak's review. i did say i can't trust him though because i had an exchange with him yesterday and he didn't seem fair.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I am watching his review after having beaten the game myself. He hit more bugs then I did and it sounds like some of the more minor ones bothered him more then they bothered me. That’s why I said he was a bit harsher the I would be. I still enjoyed the review and found it well written. There is nothing wrong with anything in it.

Lemondish

I'm seeing a lot of folks saying it is unfair to compare Night City in Cyberpunk to GTA.

I will ask why it is unfair to expect it to exceed a game built on 14 year old console hardware.

Night City is a fucking facade and it is an absolute gods damn disappointment.

harmny

Banned
I'm seeing a lot of folks saying it is unfair to compare Night City in Cyberpunk to GTA.

I will ask why it is unfair to expect it to exceed a game built on 14 year old console hardware.

i will answer you. because the game is not gta. the game is not a sandbox focused on random open world interactions and activities. its a narrative driven action adventure rpg.do you compare gta quests, side quests, dialogue choices, leveling, skills, builds, perks and player agency to cyberpunk or the witcher? or criticize it for the lack of those features?
why don't you compare the game to other games of its genre like HZD. GoT. AC. Spiderman. TW3. and see how all of those worlds are even more just "facades" with braindead random npcs that don't do crap. btw in all of the games i mentioned you can't even kill them and there is no law system at all. however nobody complains about that and reviewers praise the world

Last edited:

Rikkori

Because the comparison only goes one way, and it's dumb. When people point out GTA does X and CP doesn't, they forget to point out all the Y, Z, W and K that CP does but GTA doesn't. People who think GTA V has a more developed world & activities than CP 2077 are simply straight up delusional.
And what I don't understand is people's fascination with the police/wanted system, it's been shit ever since GTA III and even in RDR 2 they haven't nailed it to the point where its inclusion was beneficial to the game, so if the wanted system is shit in CP but you can 99.9% of the time not engage with it then good, it's better than GTA & RDR where sometimes you're forced to. They certainly had a better time with it in GTA IV, but they failed to continue improving it and slid backwards instead. Who knows, might just be the shitty CPU in the consoles holding them back.

THEAP99

Banned
that's the cycle, yep

Mobilemofo

Thats complete BS there are side quests in this that beat the side quests in witcher 3. The one with the suicidal Ai was fantastic, the evolution of the Side quests beat many games, Including Rock star side quests.
Anyone stating otherwise hasn't played the game.
Or maybe, just maybe, there opinion differs. And that's ok. I've finished the game, and currently doing sidequests and haven't done any that are amazing so far...

highrider

Banned
Is this worth playing on Xbox one? Everything I’ve read makes me think I should hold off until I upgrade I don’t care about graphics but I want the game to work lol. PC is not an option for me, too involved.

acm2000

people should talk more about how amazing the soundtrack for this game is, i often find myself pulling over to the side of the road just to let a song finish.

78 Track Official Youtube Playlist:

TMLT

I'm getting into it a lot more now. Have put in 4+ hr sessions the past few nights. Theres still a lot of issues I have with the game but more than anything it was killed by its own hype. After all the years of anticipation it needed to be a Witcher 3/GTAV/RDR2 level magnum opus to live up to peoples expectations, and its most certainly not that, its not even in the ball park. But if it had been some obscure random dev making it and it had come out with little fanfare I think people would have actually been like "woah, this is pretty damn good" now. It certainly wouldnt be getting pulled off stores and review bombed. Not defending CDPR of course because they knew exactly what expectations were and had plenty of time to meet them, they badly mismanaged all of this. But its all that context that makes the game a disaster, not the game itself, its not THAT bad.

i will answer you. because the game is not gta. the game is not a sandbox focused on random open world interactions and activities. its a narrative driven action adventure rpg.do you compare gta quests, side quests, dialogue choices, leveling, skills, builds, perks and player agency to cyberpunk or the witcher? or criticize it for the lack of those features?
why don't you compare the game to other games of its genre like HZD. GoT. AC. Spiderman. TW3. and see how all of those worlds are even more just "facades" with braindead random npcs that don't do crap. btw in all of the games i mentioned you can't even kill them and there is no law system at all. however nobody complains about that and reviewers praise the world

I think this is the worst part of the backlash. Needlessly comparing it to other unrelated games. It just feels lazy instead of being clear with one's criticisms.

Game reviewers are especially terrible with this and rely on it far too often. I don't care about GTAV, tell me about the game that brought me here.

I also don't think some people understand or appreciate the technical achievement, the details or verticality of the city. "But Cyberpunk 2077 has nothing to say!" No, it doesn't. It shows you. The details are staggering and do tell tales. The city is literally filled everywhere with details both loud and subtle.

Rikkori

Thats complete BS there are side quests in this that beat the side quests in witcher 3. The one with the suicidal Ai was fantastic, the evolution of the Side quests beat many games, Including Rock star side quests.
Anyone stating otherwise hasn't played the game.
The funny thing is, if you only play the game once you'd never realise how many things actually change by both doing things differently and making different choices. The things play out & appear differently in the world but if you only see it once you won't realise it. The Meredith situation being a prime example, because it would involve swimming to see it, which 99% won't figure out. Or at the beginning of corpo run, where it says "in 2 minutes.." and if you actually wait 2 minutes you see it happening, etc.
There's a lot of layers to the game that will not be immediately obvious to 'muh gta' crowd because if you don't slap them in the face with it they won't notice. Just the sad reality of an ADD generation.

Nice long review from our buddy Karak Karak out. Watching now.

17:11 "This is a mostly open world shooter with some RPG elements" - Karak Karak , what?

It was a shooter for you because you decided to role play as a shooter mercenary type of character. My first V was a hacker and 99% of the time I sneaked around and virus hacked fools from the shadows. On my second run I specialized in blades and was running like a rabid dog slicing everything that stood in my way. It's almost like Cyberpunk is an open world RPG with some shooting elements...

Not the best review, to be perfectly honest.

tassletine

the combat ai is not bad. random npcs walking on the street are bad. and the shooting is better than every rpg i've played

to me it sounds like the hate train is rolling so let's destroy this game nitpicking every single thing we can because "fuck cdpr for releasing a broken game" is the trend right now. many youtubers went from "cdpr can do no wrong i love them" to "CDPR DID EVERYTHING WRONG THEY ARE THE WORST DEVELOPER IN THE WORLD" hyperbole everywhere because outrage sells.

of course crashes. awful performance and game breaking bugs are important. but things i've never seen being criticized before are being pointed out like they are super important and broken when nobody really gives a crap about them in the first place and they are actually not as bad as they sound. especially compared to other games of the same genre.
The combat AI is terrible. It's so bad I'm pretty sure it's why the seeking / shoot through walls weapons are there from the beginning. Almost every gunfight ends with someone freezing on the spot.
The shooting might well be better but since I have no idea which ones you've played so that means nothing. The idea that this game was ready at launch is laughable, it'll be at least a year before it's in a decent state.

tassletine

They complained the hell out The Witcher 3's combat and still do.
HZD and Spiderman, both have superior combat to Cyberpunk -- And with HZD that's saying something. But at least the robots are fun and don't just sit there.

It's not that the city is a facade that bothers me, it's that the game breaks constantly. There's no point even trying to build an immersive world when you are reminded that the game isn't finished every ten minutes or so.

Is the thing that I've been told to do really what they want me to do, or is it a bug?
Three times now I've been left hanging by this game, not knowing what to do, only to find out that it was a bug that was preventing progress. This sort of pull you out of the game to google if the game is actually working shit, is unacceptable.

17:11 "This is a mostly open world shooter with some RPG elements" - Karak Karak , what?

It was a shooter for you because you decided to role play as a shooter mercenary type of character. My first V was a hacker and 99% of the time I sneaked around and virus hacked fools from the shadows. On my second run I specialized in blades and was running like a rabid dog slicing everything that stood in my way. It's almost like Cyberpunk is an open world RPG with some shooting elements...

Review is great. It's a weak RPG

Being able to spec into a few builds doesn't change that. In fact the builds are really the only adequetly done RPG elements in the game

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
The way it's implemented in Cyberpunk it might as well not exist at all.
yep. it shouldn't exist and people wouldn't be able to cry about it and compare it to gta v

They complained the hell out The Witcher 3's combat and still do.
HZD and Spiderman, both have superior combat to Cyberpunk -- And with HZD that's saying something. But at least the robots are fun and don't just sit there.

It's not that the city is a facade that bothers me, it's that the game breaks constantly. There's no point even trying to build an immersive world when you are reminded that the game isn't finished every ten minutes or so.

i think you are confused. i was talking about the open world aspect of the games when comparing them. HZD robots are fine but the random people on the towns are braindead and you can't do anything with them

The combat AI is terrible. It's so bad I'm pretty sure it's why the seeking / shoot through walls weapons are there from the beginning. Almost every gunfight ends with someone freezing on the spot.
The shooting might well be better but since I have no idea which ones you've played so that means nothing. The idea that this game was ready at launch is laughable, it'll be at least a year before it's in a decent state.

i might be playing a different game then. the combat ai might not be super next generation groundbreaking but it is definitely ok. especially when you compare it to similar games. enemies come after you. flank you. you have nice variety of enemies that do different things. deus ex is worse. bethesda games are worse.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Is this worth playing on Xbox one? Everything I’ve read makes me think I should hold off until I upgrade I don’t care about graphics but I want the game to work lol. PC is not an option for me, too involved.
Wait till u upgrade to ps5 or xsx(or even xss) but dont play on 2013 gimped console, man, frequent dips under 20fps in action heavy scenes/driving/shootouts, game looks rough too, res below 720p when lots of stuff happening on screen etc, textures not loading or loading really late , here DF video

Madflavor

Considering how fast CDPR are patching the game, how much it's selling, and their track record of doing an exceptional job at supporting their games post launch, it might be safe to say that Cyberpunk 2077 is going to significantly improve over the next year or so. This wouldn't be close to the first time we've gotten games that have terrible launches, but then had really strong power creep over the years to become way better, or even beloved titles. I'm pretty confident the same will happen here.

As for Karak's review, it did come off as a bit overly harsh, but at this point what does is it even matter? The game is on track to selling around 15 million total by the end of the year. That is a colossal success no matter how you look at it. That might trigger certain people, but despite the game's issues there are obviously a lot of people out there that are really enjoying the game.

Isendurl

So, why are people complaining about Karak's review? I think its pretty fair. I mean I like the game but its pretty obvious it has a lot of issues and we should point these things out so they get fixed. Pretending that everything is fine won't help anybody.

Last edited:

Probably for the same reason I didn't judge GTA V's shooting mechanics against Halo CE.

PeteBull

So, why are people complaining about Karak's review? I think it was pretty fair. Im mean I like the game but its pretty obvious it has a lot of issues and we should point these things out so they get fixed. Pretending that everything is fine won't help anybody.
Indeed, he put up great review, everything he mentioned is actually based ona game he reviewed, not some sjw agenda, and its not like he said to never play it, just to wait till game is fully patched, which actually is smart thing to do for every1 who wants to get best experience possible. Ofc he was harsher about this game vs some other games he reviewed before, which is ok thing to do too since all reviews are subjective at the end of the day after all.

tassletine

Cyberpunk is not to be a GTA. GTA is a sandbox, Cyberpunk isnt. They aren’t the same genre lol. Thats your fault for being unaware
GTA still has a better plot.
yep. it shouldn't exist and people wouldn't be able to cry about it and compare it to gta v

i think you are confused. i was talking about the open world aspect of the games when comparing them. HZD robots are fine but the random people on the towns are braindead and you can't do anything with them

i might be playing a different game then. the combat ai might not be super next generation groundbreaking but it is definitely ok. especially when you compare it to similar games. enemies come after you. flank you. you have nice variety of enemies that do different things. deus ex is worse. bethesda games are worse.
But the central combat is good in those games, especially Spiderman, that's my point. Here all you have is the story, stray outside of that and the game collapses.

Bethesda games are worse, but citing a broken game to defend a broken game doesn't work.
Flanking and "coming after you" are basic requirements. I'd say the AI here is comparable to that Aliens Marines game. It barely exists and completely craps out in any sort of complicated environment.

Senua

So, why are people complaining about Karak's review? I think it was pretty fair. Im mean I like the game but its pretty obvious it has a lot of issues and we should point these things out so they get fixed. Pretending that everything is fine won't help anybody.
I didn't have a problem with his review at all except the criticism towards the graphics, which I just don't get

#Phonepunk#

Banned
The more bitching I see about this game the more overblown it sounds. “They stole money from people” loool how about take some personal responsibility for once in your life. Nobody held a gun to your head and told you to buy it. And they are offering refunds.

The more the whining goes on the more pathetic it is. Like lol people are defending broke ass Skyrim hahah I’m sorry that shit is extra funny.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
GTA still has a better plot.

But the central combat is good in those games, especially Spiderman, that's my point. Here all you have is the story, stray outside of that and the game collapses.

Bethesda games are worse, but citing a broken game to defend a broken game doesn't work.
Flanking and "coming after you" are basic requirements. I'd say the AI here is comparable to that Aliens Marines game. It barely exists and completely craps out in any sort of complicated environment.

if you prefer the plot of gta it's fine that's subjective. to me cyberpunk is miles ahead narrative wise.

i think the central combat is good in cyberpunk too. i'm not citing a broken game when i say bethesda games. i'm citing critically acclaimed open world rpgs.

tassletine

Considering how fast CDPR are patching the game, how much it's selling, and their track record of doing an exceptional job at supporting their games post launch, it might be safe to say that Cyberpunk 2077 is going to significantly improve over the next year or so. This wouldn't be close to the first time we've gotten games that have terrible launches, but then had really strong power creep over the years to become way better, or even beloved titles. I'm pretty confident the same will happen here.

As for Karak's review, it did come off as a bit overly harsh, but at this point what does is it even matter? The game is on track to selling around 15 million total by the end of the year. That is a colossal success no matter how you look at it. That might trigger certain people, but despite the game's issues there are obviously a lot of people out there that are really enjoying the game.
Well patching games, definitely seems to be their business model. They took 3 games to get Witcher right!

I'm very wary of this sort of thing because when people wait for things, they get very attached to their beliefs, doubling down in defense, then hiding behind a self righteous air or "I told you so" when things work out.
They just don't want to think about the fact that someone has wasted their time so pretend otherwise.

So you're right to be confident, it will definitely work out, but that's not the issue. The issue is that when you pay for a full price game you expect something of a certain quality, not a ticket for a beta test. The fact that they hid previews means they were complicit in that deception and that should not be excused.

tassletine

if you prefer the plot of gta it's fine that's subjective. to me cyberpunk is miles ahead narrative wise.

i think the central combat is good in cyberpunk too. i'm not citing a broken game when i say bethesda games. i'm citing critically acclaimed open world rpgs.

Narrative and plot are two different things. I would agree that the narrative is better in Cyberpunk simply because the world is more engaging.

harmny

Banned
Narrative and plot are two different things. I would agree that the narrative is better in Cyberpunk simply because the world is more engaging.

i know that's why i said that the plot is subjective. i won't criticize you for liking the plot of gta v more.

Last edited:

Madflavor

On top of the patching, improvements, and DLC, if Cyberpunk gets pretty good community mod support, then the game is going to have insane longevity.

Obviously I would rather have the game be GOAT right out of the game, but Corpos fucked the dev team, so if I gotta wait another year or so for it to reach that status, so be it.

harmny

Banned
On top of the patching, improvements, and DLC, if Cyberpunk gets pretty good community mod support, then the game is going to have insane longevity.

Obviously I would rather have the game be GOAT right out of the game, but Corpos fucked the dev team, so if I gotta wait another year or so for it to reach that status, so be it.

those "corpos" were born poor in communist poland and founded this company that went from nothing to what it is today. so without them the game (or cdpr for that matter) wouldn't exist at all.
and they were still an indie company when they got the rights for the game in 2012 and look the game they delivered now.

Last edited:

Kagero

Amazing game! Took my time with it, but made it to the end last night. Chose an ending I wasn't prepared for and instantly quit to the main menu. Will probably choose a different route and finish today. The characters in this game are so good. Some of the best in gaming. It's not talked about enough. Also, Judy is "best girl" for sure.

those "corpos" were born poor in communist poland and founded this company that went from nothing to what it is today. so without them the game (or cdpr for that matter) wouldn't exist at all.
and they were still an indie company when they got the rights for the game in 2012 and look the game they delivered now.

Lmao what's your point here? The devs got fucked by poor managment and the brand's goodwill pro consumer face has been tarnished. That's the reality.

Karak

Nope 2nd fully jumped into the RPG. Much less than I had hoped for and disappointing.
Also that's also discussed in the "ways you can play sections and the roleplaying versus roleplaying section.

i said to karak yesterday that people were criticizing things about the world of cyberpunk that they never criticize in other action adventure/rpgs.

pointing out how the witcher 3 doesn't have different cars or police/random npcs ai. you couldn't even kill civilians. and nobody cared

i thought he could have a great take on why that is happening and he thought i was really talking about adding cars or police to a medieval setting when it's obvious i was talking about an equivalent mechanic that could involve different horses and guards that chase/remember you.
i don't know if i can trust him to be honest.
First you should never "trust" so move on that's good. Always get many ideas of a game from many people.

As for an answer, you had already gone off the rails like 3 other times and started freaking out about interactive chairs and shit. I couldn't make heads or tails of what you were saying and while you think I have ESP I do not. I had no clue later on which of your many points you were even trying to remake or make.

Last edited:
I'm really confused about something. Ps4 Pro downloaded and installed an update to Cyberpunk 2077 last night at 1.06, But when I check my update history it does not have any new notes that the site says that 1.06 is, and the update history says I am still running 1.05. Others have mentioned this at the reddit and gamefaqs, but nobody knows anything else about it. Did it actually update or not?

Karak

I love ACGs reviews but I think he was very harsh on this one. Bad textures? awful pop in? terrible rain effects? I just don't agree.
I can't argue there if you don't get bothered by them. The rain effects are broken completely and stop prior to the character and have a broken buffer check, and even the devs know and are fixing. Though since it appears to be some kind of weird sheet, as others have pointed out, I am not sure if it will look great ever.
The popin is hideous and was bad enough that CDPR was investigating the .ini fix themselves and made mention of the mod in their patch notes.
I don't have much to state other than the devs themselves are working on it and if they seem to think its a big deal...I don't think mentioning it is somehow against type.

BUT I also stated I loved the look of the game in many places.

So I mean...harsh to mention them? I don't see how. That would be ridiculous as the game doesn't need a hug. However, discussing all the parts of a game's graphics good and bad? Personally, I think that should happen.

99.9% of the people are not. Its actually been highly pleasant lol.

Last edited:

Jethalal

Banned
I can't argue there if you don't get bothered by them. The rain effects are broken completely and stop prior to the character and have a broken buffer check, and even the devs know and are fixing. Though since it appears to be some kind of weird sheet, as others have pointed out, I am not sure if it will look great ever.
The popin is hideous and was bad enough that CDPR was investigating the .ini fix themselves and made mention of the mod in their patch notes.
I don't have much to state other than the devs themselves are working on it and if they seem to think its a big deal...I don't think mentioning it is somehow against type.

BUT I also stated I loved the look of the game in many places.

So I mean...harsh to mention them? I don't see how. That would be ridiculous as the game doesn't need a hug. However, discussing all the parts of a game's graphics good and bad? Personally, I think that should happen.

99.9% of the people are not. Its actually been highly pleasant lol.
Would you re-review a more refined (bugs ironed out) and complete edition of the game with DLC in ~1.5-2 years?

Top Bottom