• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Review Thread

Should we lock this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 196 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 628 76.2%

• Total voters

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
They have no choice but to try and fix it to turn it into a sustainable source of income. They have the MP add on to consider supporting too.

Console sales will dry up fast in the next year or so if they can't make improvements and the bad word of mouth continues to spread.

If it's true that they made all their expenses back already then there shouldn't be any more pressure.

CDPR was able to work on Cyberpunk 2077 for so many years because Witcher 3 kept making them money, year after year. It's going to be a different story if Cyberpunk 2077 sales crash and don't recover enough to fund their future projects in 2021 and beyond (free RT upgrade for current Witcher 3 owners, Cyberpunk 2077 next gen upgrades for PS/Xbox, Cyberpunk DLC + online modes, Witcher 4).

Yoboman

uicTp2l.png

Mozzarella

Damn, this 40 review dropped the score down. Weird to think about it since they gave Far Cry 5 a 100 too.
Well, kinda expected when you see all the hate on the game going all over the internet, Reviewers will drop down the score to satisfy the angry crowd. Just like 100 score is to satisfy the fan crowd. I still think 40/100 is too low for this game, especially if you are giving a game like Far Cry 5 a 100/100. Weird standards but i guess its different opinions and we accept them.

Damn, this 40 review dropped the score down. Weird to think about it since they gave Far Cry 5 a 100 too.
Well, kinda expected when you see all the hate on the game going all over the internet, Reviewers will drop down the score to satisfy the angry crowd. Just like 100 score is to satisfy the fan crowd. I still think 40/100 is too low for this game, especially if you are giving a game like Far Cry 5 a 100/100. Weird standards but i guess its different opinions and we accept them.
Do you know Quarter to Three? Its a fucking joke for years.

cebri.one

Another point we disagree.
Cyberpunk departs a lot from RPG.... in fact it is more a action-adventure story just like Horizon.

It probably was a RPG in the past but CDPR changed the direction.

oDldUQQ.png

BTW I don't consider AC, Cyberpunk, Horizon, etc... RPG... you need to take that in mind about my opinion.

Nice catch and yes, the issue is not the game being bad. But they sold it as the Witcher Evolved in a futuristic setting and it's not that. It's a nice shooter with a progression system and some loot.

Isendurl

Nice catch and yes, the issue is not the game being bad. But they sold it as the Witcher Evolved in a futuristic setting and it's not that. It's a nice shooter with a progression system and some loot.

Im starting to think people have this mythical version of The Witcher 3 in their head because its beloved game now.

Cyberpunk absolutely is The Witcher 3 with guns, to a fault I would say.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned

quarter to three is famous for giving games low scores just to get attention. tom chick is a joke
they gave tlou a 6
borderlands 3 a 2
ac origins a 4
civ VI a 4
the witness a 4
forza horizon 2 a 2

Last edited:

vpance

CDPR was able to work on Cyberpunk 2077 for so many years because Witcher 3 kept making them money, year after year. It's going to be a different story if Cyberpunk 2077 sales crash and don't recover enough to fund their future projects in 2021 and beyond (free RT upgrade for current Witcher 3 owners, Cyberpunk 2077 next gen upgrades for PS/Xbox, Cyberpunk DLC + online modes, Witcher 4).

I imagine they’ll fire a lot of people to keep expenses manageable. At the end of the day they do have 2 games as a source of income now, which is better than it was just last week.

I do think they fucked up their future dev potential massively with this release though. It’s unlikely they’ll be as ambitious with the next game. No one will forget this debacle. That hype to create 8M preorder sales at launch will not be there next time.

quarter to three is famous for giving games low scores just to get attention. tom chick is a joke
they gave tlou a 6
borderlands 3 a 2
ac origins a 4
civ VI a 4
the witness a 4
forza horizon 2 a 2
MC should have banned him years ago ( GameCritics too) , the guy is a click bait, must know as tom click
I imagine he pays a good amount to MC still allow his reviews, no other explanation

Yoda

The journos wanted to bash the game for not kowtow-ing enough to the woke mob, CDPR gave them a lane of legit criticism and now said journos have dialed up the hate to 11. There's no winning this PR nightmare for them, best thing they can do is go heads down and fix the game No Man's Sky style. I'd also recommend they revert the company back to private, the holiday sales blinded them to real issues in the console versions and they may have lost their (hard earned) reputation in the process.

ZehDon

Where are all the people of the Night City? Almost no cars and crowds during the day. Even on PC. What a joke.
"Almost no cars and crowds"? If you want to criticize the game, by all means go for it, but straight up lying just makes you look bad. The crowd density - on PC - is terrific. I'm constantly impressed at how many citizens are moving about - especially in the crowded markets and apartment building hallways.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Quarter to Three bomba games just for the clicks all the time.

Giving the PC version that score is a joke in itself, they really are the pits.

Where are all the people of the Night City? Almost no cars and crowds during the day. Even on PC. What a joke.

I'm not sure you're playing the game on PC with crowds turned up then....are you?

Last edited:

base

Banned
Quarter to Three bomba games just for the clicks all the time.

Giving the PC version that score is a joke in itself, they really are the pits.

I'm not sure you're playing the game on PC with crowds turned up then....are you?
Checked the pc version on Youtube. Does it count?

benzsaaa

Neo Member
People saying "they will fix the bugs" are missing the point that the game has many broken or missing core components.

EDMIX

none. i'm saying that may be you have the population setting on low. because on high there is definitely a lot of people and cars in the city

I'm sure it has people and cars like any modern open world game, but I've yet to see any version of the game show the number of NPCs shown in its original demo.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Bashing Cyberpunk is so hot right now.

I’m probably the biggest supporter of CDPR after W3 but this is just a mess and beyond anything I have ever played on consoles and I’ve played really buggy games. 6th crash on PS5 just a moment and I’m less than 12 hours in. I’v never had a game with this many crashes. It ridiculous and they deserve every heat they get.

kuncol02

Banned
I’m probably the biggest supporter of CDPR after W3 but this is just a mess and beyond anything I have ever played on consoles and I’ve played really buggy games. 6th crash on PS5 just a moment and I’m less than 12 hours in. I’v never had a game with this many crashes. It ridiculous and they deserve every heat they get.
Immortals was crashing for me in similar rate (It also has super serious bug with autosave not always working, which exists also in Valhalla and Legion on XSX) and no one is crying that it's buggy mess. From what I read Cyberpunk crash if you are playing more than one hour on PS5 unless you restart it manually before, then it's working "fine".

Last edited:

Hugare

Game was too ambitious for CDPR. Rockstar on the other hand is a fucking wizard for creating RDR2 and GTAV
Not really

Rockstar has some of the most talented people in the industry, no doubt.
But their secret sauce is: a lot of people, crunch and no rush

The "no rush" part is very important.

Its all assumptions right now, but I believe on that theory that Cyberpunk's story was rewritten in 2018 in order to put more of Keanu in it. Which would be insane, but in terms of marketing and etc., could make sense on why they decided to go for it.

If they started the production for real after The Witcher 3 launch, they had way too small of a time for a game this ambitious.

RDR 2 had 8 years, Cyberpunk had roughly half of that. Theres no amount of crunch in the world that could save the project.

JonkyDonk

Not really

Rockstar has some of the most talented people in the industry, no doubt.
But their secret sauce is: a lot of people, crunch and no rush

The "no rush" part is very important.

Its all assumptions right now, but I believe on that theory that Cyberpunk's story was rewritten in 2018 in order to put more of Keanu in it. Which would be insane, but in terms of marketing and etc., could make sense on why they decided to go for it.

If they started the production for real after The Witcher 3 launch, they had way too small of a time for a game this ambitious.

RDR 2 had 8 years, Cyberpunk had roughly half of that. Theres no amount of crunch in the world that could save the project.
I think that demo they showed in 2018 was probably the only real thing they had at that point, and most of the actual game was built in the last two years. Which isn't too crazy honestly, a lot of games are made like that. When people say a game was in development for X number of years, it doesn't mean that it was literally in full production for that many years. A lot of the early dev time goes towards engine work, developing the concept and lore, research, etc. And at some point they make a prototype to set out the blueprint for the game and then they have to figure out how to turn that slice into a full length game. Along the way a lot of compromises have to be made to the original vision in order to actually ship a game within the limitations of the project budget/scope and the hardware spec.

I especially think this is the case for Cyberpunk because some of the things that were shown in that first demo promised a game that was significantly and fundamentally more complex than the final product turned out. So it makes sense that that stuff was just hopes and dreams that were never realised, rather than anything that was actually made and then changed or cut.

Last edited:

Hugare

I think that demo they showed in 2018 was probably the only real thing they had at that point, and most of the actual game was built in the last two years. Which isn't too crazy honestly, a lot of games are made like that. When people say a game was in development for X number of years, it doesn't mean that it was literally in full production for that many years. A lot of the early dev time goes towards engine work, developing the concept and lore, research, etc. And at some point they make a prototype to set out the blueprint for the game and then they have to figure out how to turn that slice into a full length game. Along the way a lot of compromises have to be made to the original vision in order to actually ship a game within the limitations of the project budget/scope and the hardware spec.

I especially think this is the case for Cyberpunk because some of the things that were shown in that first demo promised a game that was significantly and fundamentally more complex than the final product turned out. So it makes sense that that stuff was just hopes and dreams that were never realised, rather than anything that was actually made and then changed or cut.
Exactly

Especially considering that, from what Ive played so far, that mission was by far the one with the most ramifications available in terms of choices. No other even comes close.

Johnny is a very important part of the story, and they pitched it to Keanu on August 2018. Keanu enjoyed it so much that he asked to double the amount of his participation, so CDPR had to rewrite a bunch of stuff. In late 2018.

Top Bottom