• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Cyberpunk 2077' publisher's stock plummets 22% after Sony pulls the buggy game from its online store and offers refunds

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
let's stop pretending the game was pulled because of bugs. i know that the game is a mess on PS4 but it was because CDPR told people to get a refund off Sony. they obviously don't give a shit what state a game is in or they'd not have let it in the store in the first place. their certification process only really does the minimum to make sure it's not breaking any ToS, risking security, making consoles overheat, or crash system resources.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Controlling what games are on their store is a flex by SONY. They don’t want bugs in their house.
Or maybe people should stop cheerleading this shit, because it's clearly because Sony dislike refunding games so much, that they kick the game out of store.

It's commandable act, but I think people should be wary of why that happened.

Also absolutely don't understand, why would Sony stocks shoot upwards when they ban some game, crazy.

lucius

Can Keanu play Keanu in the movie who will play Phil Spencer after they buy CDPR? Tom Cruise too expensive, Ben Affleck maybe, Superman yes can get the Witcher fans . Can Scorcese direct it for Netflix? or is he too good his last one was no Age of Innocence

Wonder what the floor on that stock price drop is. Might have to buy some shares. Gamers are fickle but people love redemption stories. See: Final Fantasy XIV and No Man’s Sky. There’s enough passion in the development team to get the game into a proper state eventually, and one quick drop of a Witcher sequel trailer will have everyone crawling back again.

I dunno about that something seems rotten at the core in CDPR. A dev rebellion wont be far off from what I've read.

Bald-N-Furious

Neo Member
Isnt this a stock market fraud crime, they promise a product but it dont hold their promise and they increase the value of the stock and dump it when its skyhigh.

Unlikely, this is most likely a correction of an overvalued stock. CDPR does not have diversified portfolio except GOG, and that is getting pummelled as well atm.
Stock can raise if they can demonstrate the MP component to be on the scale of GTA Online but who knows when it will be released, if ever.

it will shoot to the moon once witcher 4 releases

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Controlling what games are on their store is a flex by SONY. They don’t want bugs in their house.

Sony were happy to greenlight the thing after it was submitted to them for testing. You think Sony doesn't test games from other developers before they're released on their platform? Sony could've said it was unacceptable, unless they didn't bother looking at it on the base PS4.

Last edited:
Do people who write "CD Projekt Loses a Third of Its Value on Game Bugs, Refunds
"realize that stocks that go red can potentially go up again, that the verb "lost", while making for dramatic headlines, is perhaps a tad too definitive and irrevocable for such a dynamic entity like the stock market? Evidently, next Monday once WSE opens, it can get worse, way worse, or better, or stay the same.

Go figure.

Game should have released Holiday 2021. Management went crazy to please investor expectations of no more delays.

Just think of what 1 more year under the hood would have done for the game:

Already in acceptable working condition on PC as base game in 2020 (but in 2021 bug free and optimized for a winder range of lower end cards).
Mostly bug free and performant on base consoles. Optimized properly.
Next-gen versions launching in 2021 day and date - bug free.

And by bug free I mean acceptable bug free. There is always gonna be some smallish bugs.

All they had to do was wait one more freaking year, and put in the time and money for polish. Greeeeeed got to them hard. What a fall. They can only blame themselves.

Last edited:
Management needs to feel this kind of pressure. They chose to do so many unrealistic things. They had them develop for so many platforms, set insane deadlines, streamlined the RPG elements to appeal to a wider audience and none of it payed off. When the game ran like dogshit on base consoles they just ignored it.
I'm enjoying it on ps5 and I'll definitely enjoy it once it gets patched and next gen enhancements come but they basically tried to scam anyone with a base console.

Game should have released Holiday 2021. Management went crazy to please investor expectations of no more delays.

Just think of what 1 more year under the hood would have done for the game:

Already in acceptable working condition on PC as base game in 2020 (but in 2021 bug free and optimized for a winder range of lower end cards).
Mostly bug free and performant on base consoles.
Next-gen versions launching in 2021.

All they had to do was wait one more freaking year, and put in the time and money for polish. Greeeeeed is a helluva drug.
I don't think they could have crunched those devs another year lmao. Also I don't think any amount of time will make the base consoles work if I'm honest. They were better off ditching last gen entirely

I don't think they could have crunched those devs another year lmao. Also I don't think any amount of time will make the base consoles work if I'm honest. They were better off ditching last gen entirely

Anything is better than what's happening now. Those devs get paid for their work. 1 more year eases the pain on scheduling and overwork. The game runs on base consoles. They're just full of glitches and bugs - the code needs to be leaner, and meaner if you will, and cutbacks where necessary. It was a time thing. Time x manpower = optimization schedule to an acceptable state. This game ain't doing anything out of the ordinary that other devs like Rockstar etc haven't dealt with.

That's not to say that ditching the last-gen versions wouldn't have benefited workload - of course it would, by a lot. But CDPR can't even ship next-gen ready versions either, and even the PC version is hardly bug free (lots of issues as well if read up on it - just not as flagrant). This all paints a picture of a game coming in hot (aka needing more time, even on its best platform - PC). I don't think the argument is a hardware limitation argument as much as a time, scope and proper production issue.

Last edited:

Fredrik

You can make a killing from it, they will fix it with patches and the stock price will normalize again
They’ll turn around for sure but I wouldn’t jump in now, and a rise of 22% isn’t all that much tbh. I used to invest the size of a GPU upgrade on Nvidia stocks and could then upgrade from the earnings alone from Ti to Ti. Not saying everyone should invest in nvidia now though, they’re up 125% for the year already, but I think CDPR will go down further for awhile before they start recovering.

BWJinxing

I can only hope EA doesn't attempt a hostile take over.

Imagine, "the most consumer friendly studio", in the hands of " the worst company in the world', twice winning.

Im in the PC camp, and desipte the lag, it was playble. I enjoyed myself.

Personally, I'm holding out for the modding community to bring the game alive.

Just fix the bugs and introduce toolbox CDPR.

MMaRsu

Banned
Have you read some of the "positive" reviews? It seems like CDPR defenders are positively review bombing it to drown out any legitimate criticism's.

Yeah it couldnt be that te game plays vastly better on pc right...

Im sure all those folks including me are just lying lmao

yurinka

Wonder what the floor on that stock price drop is. Might have to buy some shares. Gamers are fickle but people love redemption stories. See: Final Fantasy XIV and No Man’s Sky. There’s enough passion in the development team to get the game into a proper state eventually, and one quick drop of a Witcher sequel trailer will have everyone crawling back again.
Mmm, may have to buy some stock...
This game will still sell millions, will buy stock on Monday
I'd wait, I expect their stocks to continue falling at least some days more due to the refunds and Sony delisting the game from their store.

And well, the publishers of the retail versions of the game won't be happy seeing the game being refunded and released in that shape so who knows if they may announce bad news for CD Project and their relationship with them this week.

Time to buy CDPR stock soon when they have dropped some more. It is bound to bounce back in like 6 - 12 months or so.
Yes, but I think they will bounce back sooner, maybe this spring or summer. That is when I expect them to have the game pretty much fixed and the -properly fixed too- next gen console version released.

Last edited:

Phase

Looking at the 48min tech demo I have to wonder if the game even existed as shown or if the whole thing was actually just a movie made to look like someone was playing. The differences are vast. The "final product" that was released is completely different. Refresh your mind and watch.

The Skull

Yeah it couldnt be that te game plays vastly better on pc right...

Im sure all those folks including me are just lying lmao

I do believe it plays better on pc but anecdotally I've seen at at least a dozen people I know have game breaking issues constantly to the point where they can't progress but others are ok with just visual bugs. I'd expect that with the variable nature of PC but you can't deny there is definitely a CDPR defence force.

Komatsu

I'd wait, I expect their stocks to continue falling at least some days more due to the refunds and Sony delisting the game from their store.

CDPR is not listed in New York, or in America, for that matter. I've been trying to get my hands on an ADR (ticker: OGTLY) we have here for their stocks but they don't trade much.

I believe 3 weeks ahead will be the perfect time to dip in.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For you investors, the stock was around 440 PLN two weeks ago, and sold off to around 300. No doubt insiders knew a bombshell was going to hit.

On Friday when the refund news hit, the stock dropped to 246 PLN at lunch time, then rebounded hard in the afternoon to finish at 271.

It ended the day -12%.

You never know, it may have already bottomed. Will be interesting to see what happens next week with a full trading week.

Last edited:
Looking at the 48min tech demo I have to wonder if the game even existed as shown or if the whole thing was actually just a movie made to look like someone was playing. The differences are vast. The "final product" that was released is completely different. Refresh your mind and watch.

Some of it is better in this demo, the wall destructibility and the car chase... but honestly the game is a visual upgrade over this and most the content shown is nearly the same as how these sections are besides that you don't have to do them the exact same way. The chase sequence kinda bums me out, though.

Komatsu

For you investors, the stock was around 440 PLN two weeks ago, and sold off to around 300. No doubt insiders knew a bombshell was going to hit.

On Friday when the refund news hit, the stock dropped to 246 PLN at lunch time, then rebounded hard in the afternoon to finish at 271.

You in Poland, Streets? Do you see a lot of movement on CDPR stock with online brokers?

Stock holders/investors are probably one of the main factors in deciding to release the game in the state it's in.
ive noticed the saying”buy the rumors sell the news” is accurate like 9 times out of 10.
I saw it with the PFE vaccine. Ran up to like 42 on the hype of them getting approval. It got approval and it pulled back to like 37.

a delay probably would have benefited the stock and there resulting drop on release from people taking profits would not have been nearly as severe a correction as we saw, as the game would have been in a much healthier state

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
ive noticed the saying”buy the rumors sell the news” is accurate like 9 times out of 10.
I saw it with the PFE vaccine. Ran up to like 42 on the hype of them getting approval. It got approval and it pulled back to like 37.

a delay probably would have benefited the stock and there resulting drop on release from people taking profits would not have been nearly as severe a correction as we saw, as the game would have been in a much healthier state
I bought PFE at $36 literally month ago (you know how that stock has been dead money ages). It rose to $38.50 and I dumped it. Then was kicking myself as it hit $42 as you said. Shit what a break out. I bailed too fast.

What a crash and burn. Back to $37 as you stated.

yurinka

Stock value had a P/E ratio of 115 in September. Thats what is calles a perfect bubble. With the incomes in future the share value will go on decreasing.
Well, you don't need to be an expert or to watch any ratio. It's pretty obvious CD Project was too overvalued.

It was a joke to see CD Project more valued than Ubisoft when they just released their 4th game (all licensed ones, they don't have their IP) and have a small PC games store. Ubisoft has over 18000 workers in over 40 studios across the world, they release a ton of games every year -including at least 3 or 4 big AAA open world games-, own many popular IPs that even generated merchandising that even include Hollywood movies and so on.

Sure, CD Project has value and potential for future growth specially once they recover after the Cyberpunk 2077 drama (now some investors said they are going to sue CD Project, and the CD Project CEO is appearing in the news because he liked on Twitter some tweets shitting Sony because they delisted Cyberpunk from PSN).

But people should be realistic. Even before the Cyberpunk 2077 mistakes, CD Project real value was way smaller and now even more after all their recent mistakes, that let's hope they help them and other big devs and publishers to learn some lessons for the future.

Last edited:
Anything is better than what's happening now. Those devs get paid for their work. 1 more year eases the pain on scheduling and overwork. The game runs on base consoles. They're just full of glitches and bugs - the code needs to be leaner, and meaner if you will, and cutbacks where necessary. It was a time thing. Time x manpower = optimization schedule to an acceptable state. This game ain't doing anything out of the ordinary that other devs like Rockstar etc haven't dealt with.

That's not to say that ditching the last-gen versions wouldn't have benefited workload - of course it would, by a lot. But CDPR can't even ship next-gen ready versions either, and even the PC version is hardly bug free (lots of issues as well if read up on it - just not as flagrant). This all paints a picture of a game coming in hot (aka needing more time, even on its best platform - PC). I don't think the argument is a hardware limitation argument as much as a time, scope and proper production issue.
They are doing something rockstar doesn't though, rockstar does the games for consoles only then ports it to PC later. Cyberpunk decided to make it for way too many platforms and develop for 2 generations basically. They also built the entire game in a dense city instead of the normal rural landscape every open world does

Last edited:

Isendurl

Not after this. I think people will think twice before pre-ordering or buying Witcher 4 day 1 after this. This will hunt CDPR for a long time.

Thats not how it works on the internet. When hype machine will start rolling everybody and their mother will preorder Witcher 4.
Now Cyberpunk is worst game ever in a year it could be best game ever and we will have videos showing how much better it is then GTA VI.
Some of you people act like we've never seen this before. 🙄

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Thats not how it works on the internet. When hype machine will start rolling everybody and their mother will preorder Witcher 4.
Now Cyberpunk is worst game ever in a year it could be best game ever and we will have videos showing how much better it is then GTA VI.
Some of you people act like we never seen this before. 🙄

Yeah we’ve seen it before just like the reputation of Bethesda and other studios. Just like how people know CDPR for great support, they’ll also be known of this broken mess on launch.

lucius

There was a lot of movement even before this disaster obviously some saw the game and sold wonder if it was any employees not sure if that's illegal over there.

Of course it existed, what are you smoking?

Top Bottom