• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Preview Ran at 1080p with DLSS 2.0 Enabled on an RTX 2080Ti Powered PC

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Those games are nowhere near as dense or detailed as Cyberpunk though.

Skill Up basically said this was as if someone had taken a highly detailed linear single player game (I think he referenced the last of us 2) and then made it so that the amount of detail, variation and density remained at that level throughout a whole open world.

I know. I watched Skill Up's preview/impressions yesterday. It's going to look superb on Series X but still good enough on the current gen base consoles. Besides, those who are still playing on them and a 1080P HDTV, they simply don't care about all the extra visual stuff, they just want to play the game.

Aidah

Does anyone know how well the 20 Series card do RT? As it stands it doesn't seem like they do very well. Some people have speculated that the Nvidia rushed/pushed RT too early and that the 30 Series should be able to handle them much much better. It makes me wonder how the AMD cards, and consoles, will tackle RT. I wonder if they learned a few things from Nvidia. So far, the only thing I've heard about RT in the next gen consoles, at least when it comes to performance, is what throw away quote from Mark Cerny at the Road to PS5 thing, something like "i've seen implementation of RT, with very minimal hit to performance" but who knows really.
The PS5 event had a few games with RT (one even runs at 4K/60fps with some RT features. GT7)

For Xbox, we saw that Minecraft RT demo, which ran at 1080p with an unstable framerate. You could get a significantly better overall result with a RTX 2060, provided you use DLSS. However, for a console, that's still impressive.

As for RTX cards and RT performance, like with most things it's safe to assume that the 2nd gen RTX cards will bring a big boost to RT performance. However, with DLSS 2.0 you can get some really impressive performance out of the current RTX cards even if you go all out on RT features in current games that have them.

Last edited:

Starcheif

you can't choose on console.

on pc you can tailor the setting around your tastes.

you can singularly disable rtx and a shitload of other graphical setting to achieve what you want.

on console the max choice you have is a resolution mode or a performance mode with a framerate less stable than the average member on reeeeeee.

Maybe on Next Gen we will have the option to disable parts of games like Cyber Punk just like on PC.

RaySoft

The PS5 event had a few games with RT (one even runs at 4K/60fps with some RT features. GT7)

For Xbox, we saw that Minecraft RT demo, which ran at 1080p with an unstable framerate. You could get a significantly better overall result with a RTX 2060, provided you use DLSS. However, for a console, that's still impressive.

As for RTX cards and RT performance, like with most things it's safe to assume that the 2nd gen RTX cards will bring a big boost to RT performance. However, with DLSS 2.0 you can get some really impressive performance out of the current RTX cards even if you go all out on RT features in current games that have them.
To be fair though.. Minecraft utilizes pathtracing, as in full-on raytracing mode. Other games will use RT sparingly, but to a good use.

Aidah

A little off-topic, but have to ask: I'm planning on building a new PC for this game. Do you think November is a good time, specially with the new console generation so close to release?
Personally I'm waiting on Nvidia's RTX 3000 series (possibly October) and AMD's Zen 3 (possibly somewhere in the last 3 months of 2020, or January 2021) (or maybe Intel if they have the better offering at that time as far as gaming performance is concerned)

Also I think this video from Digital Foundry is a good watch if you're planning to build a PC.

Last edited:
To the contrary of popular belief, there is no performance delta between XSX and the PS5. Both will do 4K (4096 × 2160) mostly 30fps, with some titles 60fps.
The only way MS is tooting their 120fps horn is because of their BC catalogue. #thereisnospoon
You keep telling yourself that with that Cerny avatar. The XSX has the clearly faster GPU by a sizeable margin. Even assuming the PS5 can maintain those insane clocks.

To be fair though.. Minecraft utilizes pathtracing, as in full-on raytracing mode. Other games will use RT sparingly, but to a good use.
I didn't know that. Kinda goes to show you how taxing full-on raytracing actually is. I know this is probably weird to some people, but If they can get similar results to full-on raytracing without having to be full-on, I really don't care. It doesn't make me feel better to know it's real RT, same way it doesn't make me feel better to know something is native 4k, once I start playing a game it all kinda goes away.

Starcheif

To the contrary of popular belief, there is no performance delta between XSX and the PS5. Both will do 4K (4096 × 2160) mostly 30fps, with some titles 60fps.
The only way MS is tooting their 120fps horn is because of their BC catalogue. #thereisnospoon
Dirt 5 is running at 120FPS so it's more than BC.

Amaranty

Didn't Witcher 3 have poor performance at release on high end machines?

Pretty sure they will optimize it a lot more before and after release.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Personally I'm waiting on Nvidia's RTX 3000 series and AMD's Zen 3 (or maybe Intel if they have the better offering at that time as far as gaming performance is concerned).

Also I think this video from Digital Foundry is a good watch if you're planning to build a PC. (video)
Haha I'm sure this is gonna cost me more than one head ache... I've been disconnected from PC gaming from quite a while and some terms sound like druken chinesse.
I don't want to derail the thread, so thanks dude for your recommendations and for that video.

Cheers!

RaySoft

You keep telling yourself that with that Cerny avatar. The XSX has the clearly faster GPU by a sizeable margin. Even assuming the PS5 can maintain those insane clocks.
Edit: I'm clearly on medication.. I read: CPU, not GPU...

But while we are on it...
The XSX GPU is actually slower than the PS5's GPU clock wise.
Yes the XSX has more CU's and can do theoreticaly more compute than the PS5, but as Cerny said, A tide rises ALL boats (i.e clockspeed is higher across the board) If you can fill those CU's with meaningfull jobs, then ofc, that would be the better strategy. We wil see..

Last edited:
clearly faster GPU?
With all 16 threads (where all next-gen games will land) there is a 100Mhz difference... Vertually nothing. It's probably already eaten up by the time assets are streamed decompressed into RAM, compared to PS5.
What have the 16 threads of the CPU got to do with that GPU?

Aidah

Haha I'm sure this is gonna cost me more than one head ache... I've been disconnected from PC gaming from quite a while and some terms sound like druken chinesse.
I don't want to derail the thread, so thanks dude for your recommendations and for that video.

Cheers!
No problem.

To put it simply, if there's new hardware coming out just around the corners, it's almost always a good idea to wait for it, especially if you're the kind of person who will keep the same PC for years like myself.

Aidah

I didn't know that. Kinda goes to show you how taxing full-on raytracing actually is. I know this is probably weird to some people, but If they can get similar results to full-on raytracing without having to be full-on, I really don't care. It doesn't make me feel better to know it's real RT, same way it doesn't make me feel better to know something is native 4k, once I start playing a game it all kinda goes away.
Devs will try and do that. Look at the Unreal 5 demo for instance, where they try to get some similar benefits to ray tracing without using any ray tracing at all. Or how some games mix in SSR with Ray traced reflections, basically substituting RT reflections with SSR in situations where RT reflections wouldn't provide a significant benefit. You'll probably see a lot of tricks.

Is it not running at 1080p because....

a) the Raytracing ( which makes native 4k impossible )
b) Nvidia want to show off DLSS 2.0 ( which makes lower resolutions "ok" )

If they simply turned off all forms of Raytracing, I bet that same 2080ti would be able to handle native 4k and 60fps.

Don't buy a 2080ti for Cyberpunk. The 3080 will be available before Cyberpunk launches, as will Big Navi.

Last edited:
Devs will try and do that. Look at the Unreal 5 demo for instance, where they try to get some similar benefits to ray tracing without using any ray tracing at all. Or how some games mix in SSR with Ray traced reflections, basically substituting RT reflections with SSR in situations where RT reflections wouldn't provide a significant benefit. You'll probably see a lot of tricks.
If there's one thing these dev's have, it's tricks. There are some very talented teams out there. I hope they go that route if performance is improved.

Aidah

Is it not running at 1080p because....

a) the Raytracing ( which makes native 4k impossible )
b) Nvidia want to show off DLSS 2.0 ( which makes lower resolutions "ok" )

If they simply turned off all forms of Raytracing, I bet that same 2080ti would be able to handle native 4k and 60fps.

Don't buy a 2080ti for Cyberpunk. The 3080 will be available before Cyberpunk launches, as will Big Navi.
The video they posted is 4K/30fps with no ray tracing.

And yes, definitely don't buy a 2080ti now.

Last edited:
avzObmW_460swp.webp

SantaC

Do you even read the OP? Even without the full RT (partial RT on), the game runs on PC at 1080p and rarely target 60 fps.
Lets hope for a better optimization.
Thats why I want a option to disable RT. Such a performance waste.
There is new graphics cards coming out

Mister Wolf

The comment at the end of the article is idiotic:

"The RTX 2080Ti should be able to play the game at 4K resolution with DLSS 2.0 active and all ray tracing effects enabled"

Based off what can the author make this claim?

Type_Raver

..."as the Cyberpunk 2077 preview apparently ran at 1080p with DLSS 2.0 enabled (announced yesterday by NVIDIA to be available for the game) and some (but not all) raytracing effects enabled on a computer powered by the mighty RTX 2080Ti graphics card."

That sounds quite intensive, and based on this I wouldn't expect a high end PC with a 2080ti to run this at 4k with RT Shadows, AO, Diffuse Illumination, Reflections, even with DLSS 2.0. In my opinion, you would have to disable 1 or more RT effects with reach 4k at your respective playable framerate.
However, based on what we know about the RTX3000 series, this should not be a problem.

Audiophile

Gold Member
I don't think the GPU differential is going to be a major indication of resolution/framerate between skus of this game. The low-clock, low-ipc Jaguar cores will be a hard limit and I think we're gonna see something like 720p/900p on the base consoles and 1080-1440p/1440-1800p on the Pro/X.

It's a shame that even with next-gen compatibility and eventual upgrades coming, this game is going to be fundamentally limited by those Jaguar cores, mechanical HDDs, poor I/O and constrained relative bandwidth the One S/OG and Pro. But then, going next-gen only probably wouldn't be financially viable or wise given the investment that has gone into this game in terms of both time and money.

IF this level of "life" and complexity is still present in the city/daytime sections in the final release I'd be very surprised if any current gen system including the One X gets far above 1440p:

IMPaR9.gif

I think this game is going to be the ultimate stress test for current gen hardware.

What's going to be hard to gauge is what next-gen consoles will be doing once patched/upgraded. If they increase FX quality, add RT and make any changes to scene complexity / simulation then major resolution or performance bumps are probably unlikely. But if they just do a straight res/fps bump then if X is hitting 1440p 30fps plus, near-4K @ 60fps doesn't seem too far fetched given the CPU/GPU upgrade (jot just flops and clocks, but ipc, efficiency and featuresets).

What I'd like to see is a moderate bump in resolution alongside a dynamic res scale + temporal reconstruction (preferably TI/TAAU), a push for 60fps and an option to prioritise performance or higher dynamic resolutions. Screen Space Reflections but with RT Reflections as a fall-back for occluded or off-screen assets (on a per-pixel level) and RT contact shadows / ambient occlusion. A general bump in post-process quality. filtering accuracy, lod distances [and textures if need be]. And of course near-instant loading / fast-travel along with optimisation to reduce pop-in.

Last edited:
the iq improve a lot too, for some strange reason, 1440p on pc is more clear than 4k on xone x...

Turning the HDR off on the X1X version cleans it up a lot as well, sadly on the One X you have to do it in the system menu but on PS4 version they have the option in the game menu. I have it for both Pro and One X and while DF will dog the checkerboarding used on the Pro version if you swap back and forth from one to the other you really can't see any differences, the photo mode works better on the Pro version too.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Btw, are we sure this is sub-1080p and DLSS-ing up to 1080p or is it 1080p base and using DLSS to get up to 4K? I'm having a very hard time believing it's the former.

It's a very good looking game when you look at it from the perspective of it having current-gen underpinnings, but it's not so impressive as to have me think a 2080Ti can't run it at 1080p 30fps with most RTX functionality disabled. Much of what's impressive about this game is the complexity, simulation and dynamism; which is predominately CPU-side stuff; an area where any reasonably spec'd mid-to-high end PC will already excel.

If a 2080Ti can't even do 1080p then I struggle to see how the mid-gen consoles have a chance, let alone the base consoles. There would have to be serious downgrades outside of even resolution, fps and filtering. The One S/'OG' and even PS4 'Base' would have to go full potato mode.

RaySoft

game comes out in October so it was probably built for both Gens. I would not count that as part of MS BC but to each their own.
I've never said it was a BC game. It's more like a "PC" game. More bells & wistles on XSX compared to Lockhart.
With that said, theres no denying that Dirt 5 is an interim game, releasing during a generational shift. Engine is not truly prepped for next-gen. (wich is normal)

Last edited:

Fake

when amd brings out a highend card for the first time in like 10 years, yes
You're just reforcing my point. AMD forgot about high end and pretty much focus on mid range. Without proper competition, we can't expect similar prices.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
i guess:

XB1 - 720p 20-30fps
PS4 - 900p 25-30fps
Pro - 1080/1440p 25-30fps (upscaled to 4k if 1440p)
XB1X - 1440/1800p 25-30fps (upscaled to 4k)

PS5 - 1800p 30fps with much higher settings and some light raytracing
XSX - 4K 30fps with slightly higher settings than PS5 and similar raytracing
You think XSX is going to pump out that many more pixels than PS5 AND run at higher settings?

It’s not happening with a theoretical 18% increase in GPU power.

Last edited:

Starcheif

I've never said it was a BC game. It's more like a "PC" game. More bells & wistles on XSX compared to Lockhart.
With that said, theres no denying that Dirt 5 is an interim game, releasing during a generational shift. Engine is not truly prepped for next-gen. (wich is normal)

Maybe I am reading your comment wrong? because when you said "The only way MS is tooting their 120fps horn is because of their BC catalogue. #thereisnospoon" I simply picked Dirt because it had the option of running at 120FPS and was not a BC game.

Top Bottom