• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Patch 1.61: FSR 2.1 Tested on PS5 and Xbox Series X/S - A Big Boost To Image Quality?

Justin9mm

What in the ACTUAL fuck are you guys and Digital Foundry smoking?

The games looks SO MUCH WORSE after they added FSR on console! I swear to god I can't stand CD Project and Digital Foundry anymore.

I noticed the worse image quality immediately on Ps5. Have people not played this for more than 5 minutes? Anytime you're driving the road has awful artifacting. Edges shimmer when they didn't before. When it rains the IQ is at its worst.

All the classic hallmarks of bad FSR are here and somehow the consensus is that the image quality is improved?

Craziest this is it didn't even run any better after this patch, at least not on ps5.

I hadn't played this in months so I fired it up to see if CD Project cleaned up the iq months after the patch. They didn't.
I agree, the game still looks and plays like shit. Just finished up the last part of the main story last week.

Is it just me or are people bumping old a lot of old topics lately? I swear this is the 3rd one I have seen up at the top that is more than 6 months old, some older than that.

So what? If it's a relevant topic I don't see why this is wrong to do ...I was thinking of making my own thread about this but neogaf suggested not to do that ...so what can ya do?

StereoVsn

I agree, the game still looks and plays like shit. Just finished up the last part of the main story last week.
On the PC side it's pretty good image wise. I mean there are still some textures here and there that could fit on a PS4, but in general Image Quality is quite good, especially when dialed up to 11.

That includes motion. I am not sure about DLSS3 as I have a 3080ti and so no frame interpolation for me.

Now, performance with all that crap turned up is terribad unless you got a 4080/4090 cards, but even without RT turned all the way up, the game looks good. Well, except for generic NPCs, they look and move like shit.

-Zelda-

Banned
So what? If it's a relevant topic I don't see why this is wrong to do ...I was thinking of making my own thread about this but neogaf suggested not to do that ...so what can ya do?
It is, but I also know how triggered mods can be when it comes to this sort of thing. Not going to be a Narc, just don't care to see anyone hit over it.

Justin9mm

Is it just me or are people bumping old a lot of old topics lately? I swear this is the 3rd one I have seen up at the top that is more than 6 months old, some older than that.
I don't know if this sounds stupid but if the powers that be don't want old threads resurrected, can't they just lock out reply posts after a certain agreed timeframe if the thread is not currently active with posts?

-Zelda-

Banned
I don't know if this sounds stupid but if the powers that be don't want old threads resurrected, can't they just lock out reply posts after a certain agreed timeframe if the thread is not currently active with posts?
They could, but they don't for some reason. Other game forums I visit will auto lock a topic at a certain number of posts, such as 500.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
On the PC side it's pretty good image wise. I mean there are still some textures here and there that could fit on a PS4, but in general Image Quality is quite good, especially when dialed up to 11.

That includes motion. I am not sure about DLSS3 as I have a 3080ti and so no frame interpolation for me.

Now, performance with all that crap turned up is terribad unless you got a 4080/4090 cards, but even without RT turned all the way up, the game looks good. Well, except for generic NPCs, they look and move like shit.
DLSS is a whole different ballgame than FSR. DLSS is actually a net improvement over native in many cases just due to the better AA it produces.

DLSS3 is magic, too, but it's best reserved for getting 60fps games up to 100+ on a Gsync monitor rather than getting 30fps games up to 60, because it does start to add noticeable latency on those low end scenarios.

I fired the game up for the first time in a while yesterday and turned on Overdrive RT and it's an unbelievable looking game.

Ev1L AuRoN

We will see. AMD aren't even sure they can do it and have said as such. If the input lag it generates is too close to the lag of motion interpolation implementations already built into TVs then it's worthless.
Input lag is important of course but tv's do a poor job interpolating frames since tv's don't have access to motion vectors, AMD will need to develop a tech similar to reflex to decrease latency at the render pipeline.

StereoVsn

DLSS is a whole different ballgame than FSR. DLSS is actually a net improvement over native in many cases just due to the better AA it produces.

DLSS3 is magic, too, but it's best reserved for getting 60fps games up to 100+ on a Gsync monitor rather than getting 30fps games up to 60, because it does start to add noticeable latency on those low end scenarios.

I fired the game up for the first time in a while yesterday and turned on Overdrive RT and it's an unbelievable looking game.
To be fair, I find FSR 2.1 and higher not to be too bad, with caveat it has to be in their "quality" mode. So FSR 2 on Quality upscaling from 1440p to 4K is decent even in motion. Still worse vs modern DLSS but not too bad.

Things do break down more and sooner on lower res/upscaling settings with FSR vs DLSS.

SF Kosmo

To be fair, I find FSR 2.1 and higher not to be too bad, with caveat it has to be in their "quality" mode. So FSR 2 on Quality upscaling from 1440p to 4K is decent even in motion. Still worse vs modern DLSS but not too bad.

Things do break down more and sooner on lower res/upscaling settings with FSR vs DLSS.
I'm not saying FSR 2.1 isn't useful, but it isn't fair to compare to something like DLSS or XeSS.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What in the ACTUAL fuck are you guys and Digital Foundry smoking?

The games looks SO MUCH WORSE after they added FSR on console! I swear to god I can't stand CD Project and Digital Foundry anymore.

I noticed the worse image quality immediately on Ps5. Have people not played this for more than 5 minutes? Anytime you're driving the road has awful artifacting. Edges shimmer when they didn't before. When it rains the IQ is at its worst.
What are you smoking?
Every complaint you made WAS present before but at lower resolution.

StereoVsn

I'm not saying FSR 2.1 isn't useful, but it isn't fair to compare to something like DLSS or XeSS.
Eh, looking at decent amount of comparisons while it is inferior to DLSS, at 4K/Quality FSR at least puts up a fight.

Hardware Unboxed actually just recently did a video on the topic. DLSS is clearly stronger but FSR 2.1/2.2 is pretty good at 4K Quality all things considered.

SF Kosmo

Eh, looking at decent amount of comparisons while it is inferior to DLSS, at 4K/Quality FSR at least puts up a fight.

Hardware Unboxed actually just recently did a video on the topic. DLSS is clearly stronger but FSR 2.1/2.2 is pretty good at 4K Quality all things considered.
It's just doing something completely different than what DLSS and XeSS do. It's a decent upscaler compared to other non-AI methods but you can't push it that hard or it's gonna show.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
They weren't present to the degree they are now. Also, the resolution was 1440p native prior to fsr right? What's fsr resolution?
Well the image is sharper so it would stand out more.
All the issues that was mentioned I complained about when it first release on PS5 and I'm just assuming it's how the game renders those effects on consoles as the quality of those haven't improved and FSR isn't going to improve that either.
Resolution was dynamic 1296/1440p before but it had a muddy look at distances but resolved better in close ups.
I think they used CB to boost the resolution to 4k which probably gave it it's muddy look at times and would have been better with native 1440p
FSR improves this with the same dynamic 1296/1440p base with FSR boosting it up to 4k which gives it more consistent nice overall jump in charity.
Both suffer in fast motion but FSR has better resolve and looks sharper

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They weren't present to the degree they are now. Also, the resolution was 1440p native prior to fsr right? What's fsr resolution?

The resolutions are still the same, give or take, but the IQ is definitely improved as per DF.

As for PS5 and Series X? They each continue to run at a constant native 1440p in their ray tracing modes, as before. FSR2 then reconstructs that to appear like a 4K image in static moments, quite convincingly I will say. And in performance mode, the resolution is more flexible, adjusting between 1728p and 1260p.

FSR2 does genuinely improve image quality, whether it be in static shots, in motion, in dealing with aliasing, or even in instances of disocclusion - where objects in the foreground move, revealing previously hidden detail.

Top Bottom