• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Patch 1.2 Analysis: Good News For PS4 Pro... But What About Other Consoles?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That's usually exactly what optimization means, finding wich settings give you tbe best performance/graphics ratio.
I'm not disagreeing with you on the terminology and give and take.

But when a dev says patches or optimization is coming, the general sentiment is that things can only improve and not get worse. Especially with the train wreck 2077 is on lower spec consoles.

CDPR even gloated with a patch road map, so it looked like things can only get better. Guess not.

lucius

I played a little after the update on PS5 I am not sure why but things looked worse to me not performance but visually. I had messed around with some HDR recommendations to get it acceptable (I know it is partly broken) but things seem worse then changed to SDR looks slightly better but still hard to make things out in some areas. I can't believe I paid full price for this, the gunplay doesn't even stand up to something like FC5 it is just decent. I like the story and music, but I should just wait for the upgrade to finish it.

bender

What time is it?
The good will that CDPR built up with the Witcher 3

giphy.gif

hemo memo

Gold Member
I played a little after the update on PS5 I am not sure why but things looked worse to me not performance but visually. I had messed around with some HDR recommendations to get it acceptable (I know it is partly broken) but things seem worse then changed to SDR looks slightly better but still hard to make things out in some areas. I can't believe I paid full price for this, the gunplay doesn't even stand up to something like FC5 it is just decent. I like the story and music, but I should just wait for the upgrade to finish it.
I’m glad I finished and sold the game on PS5 before this downgrade patch.

The good will that CDPR built up with the Witcher 3

giphy.gif

This is only from the perspective of sony only players. CD Red had good will since 2004 when they announced the first Witcher and was buiklding up over the years, with each E3 showing. It was a different rpg than the rest. Then when it launched, they went ahead and invested over a million dollars at the time for the Enhanced Edition which was free for base game owners. CD Red didn start existing with Witcher 3, it was a household name long before

bender

What time is it?
Well the fix for PS4 Pro is less/no people and delayed streaming, some of the other scenes looked bad on PS4 Pro, but then again is better to have good framerate...

Until that framerate buckles and the game crashes. And that's the "best version". Cyberpunk 2077 on consoles makes the GOG's marketing stunt from 2010 look like a wild success.

Rikkori

Tbh I just wouldn't recommend playing this game on consoles. Tried it for a bit at 30 fps + gamepad on PC (due to RT) and it was just incredibly awful. And that's a tightly locked 30, nvm fluctuations you'd see on consoles, but the gamepad aspect is just as bad unless you play a pure stealth/netrunner character. Idk if they allow M&KB on consoles for this game but believe me people who play with a gamepad and people who play with M&KB are playing vastly different games.

wnAZDXF.gif

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Tbh I just wouldn't recommend playing this game on consoles. Tried it for a bit at 30 fps + gamepad on PC (due to RT) and it was just incredibly awful. And that's a tightly locked 30, nvm fluctuations you'd see on consoles, but the gamepad aspect is just as bad unless you play a pure stealth/netrunner character. Idk if they allow M&KB on consoles for this game but believe me people who play with a gamepad and people who play with M&KB are playing vastly different games.

wnAZDXF.gif

snimekobrazovky2021-0umktt.png

The game is still kinda shit even on PC. There is a reason the lead game designer working on this game for 6 something years left. He either got sacked or knew he wouldn't be able to deliver on what was shipped to make things right.

Sounds like the studio needs a major shake up with actual talent.

Sevenfold

I glanced over the PCGamer article the other day. I dropped it like a stone at 90 hours after getting stuck in a vending machine. Haven't played it this year. Not since Evolve have I bounced off a game so hard. I will drag myself to the end at some point but man it's the fucking soggiest of squibs. What a colossal let down.

Last edited:

Rikkori

wnAZDXF.gif

Dj Khaled And Another One GIF

regawdless

Banned
Really sucks so much for owners of the last gen versions. Game looks and runs like shit. But honestly, I kinda expected it to be that way. The hardware is just ancient and not fit for rendering that game. There is no hope for owners of these versions. These people got screwed.

I played it on a high end PC and enjoyed it a lot though, great game - in my case.

Yeah on PC it is super dope.

It's a major fuck up on somebody's part.
Do you guys think CDPro was ever actually developing this game with consoles in mind or did they just not give a shit?
I played all the way through on PS4 Pro and it was fine. Honestly I think COVID probably fucked w a lot of endgame polishing stuff and a complicit access journalist media decided not to report on the lack of real last gen console footage.

It is honestly a problem of information. The public was sold something that it had not seen. Had the media told people "The game crashes all the time on PS4 and runs like trash" then we would have known.

Apparently not a single journalist requested to see last gen footage? But they all kept smiling and taking the money and wrote articles about dick and pussy sliders instead.

Last edited:

nowhat

It is honestly a problem of information. Had the media told people "The game crashes all the time on PS4 and runs like trash" then we would have known. But they all kept smiling and taking the money and wrote articles about dick and pussy sliders instead.
It indeed was a problem of information. The media had no console codes. Hell, CDPR didn't allow reviews to show their own PC footage. The problem was all on CDPR and "it runs surprisingly well on current gen".

Woggleman

It honestly was a great experience on Series X but it never should have been released on last gen consoles. If they want to fix one thing then something else needs to suffer and they will never get it right. This game was made to be played off of an SSD and that is why new gen feels so much better.

Imagine 4 months after the launch you have the follow state:

Xbox One X: unplayable
Xbox One (S): unplayable
PS4: unplayable
PS4 Pro: well considered somehow playable

And we will see a lot defending CDPR here yet.
Exactly.

When Shenmue 3 is a better game than yours, you should know things have gone wrong. Shenmue 3 is a masterpiece compared to Cyberpunk on PS4. It should mean something for people.

Shenmue fucking 3 is a better game than Cyberpunk on PS4!

Now image a 40 gig patch on Shenmue 3 with so much people working on it and with so much budget. Yeap, it's thinking!

Shenmue fucking 3 runs better than Cyberpunk. A game made by 20 old guys that were clueless about Unreal Engine 4. And it does not brick your console. Is that a point of no return(al)?

😂😂😂

Last edited:

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Playing on Xbox Series X. Updated with the latest patch. The game is still glitching on the mission I'm on. I've now uninstalled the game.

Hugare

Experience from someone who has it since launch on thr PS4 Pro: right now, the game is fine. Perfectly playable.

I've replayed 10h or so of the game from the start, and with the new patch, the game is A LOT more polished than before.

They really fixed a lot of bugs and problems with the presentation, like NPCs doing awkward shit in cutscenes, cars blowing by themselfes and etc.

I'm playing on an SSD and I cant say enough how much it improves the game. A lot of the problems are HDD related.

"But the normal PS4 owner only has an HDD", I know, and that sucks that CDPR made the game not considering hard drives limitations. But it is what it is. Playing on an SSD you will have a much improved experience.

I cant imagine this game ever being playable on an HDD.

Not due to poor optimization. Look at other city open world games of this generation. Compare this game to any Watchdogs game.

It pushes a staggering amount of assets and geometry at a breakneck pace when driving through town.

Yeah, people.saying it can't be done on last gen consoles are dumb. We've seen way more impressive games than this, but I guess they have to believe it's the hardware's fault ant not their favorite developer.

They said the same thing when Halo Infinite was shown. Instead of blaming 343's incompetence, they started saying the hardware wasn't capable and all next gen games shouldn't try to go for 4K because that's what happens.
In Halo Infinite defence the version shown was running on PC, also in that games case it needed more development time, I'm sure it will look far better next time we see it. Cyberpunk on the other hand is probably more of the developer biting off more than it can chew. Also don't underestimate how hard it is to release and optimise on so many different hardware.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
You know what sucks even more? CDPR claiming it runs "surprisingly well" on current (well, previous by now) gen and not handing out console codes before release.
You know what sucks even more? CDPR claiming it “Plays great also on Xbox Series X and PS5”. On what metric does that performance equals to great?

Flabagast

Yeah, people.saying it can't be done on last gen consoles are dumb. We've seen way more impressive games than this, but I guess they have to believe it's the hardware's fault ant not their favorite developer.

They said the same thing when Halo Infinite was shown. Instead of blaming 343's incompetence, they started saying the hardware wasn't capable and all next gen games shouldn't try to go for 4K because that's what happens.
I am not sure about that, Night City seems to be unlike anything else we have seen in terms of city design within the open world genre. The sense of scale and density of objects is through the roof and feels truly next gen in that regard.

I mean just look at the comparison with Watch Dogs Legion, which does not run very well on last gen base machines by the way. London is packed with details as well and "simulation aspects" of the world (basically NPC AI) is definitely better than CP but everything feels super tiny in comparison to Night City, where for example buildings are like 5-10 fold bigger

Nothing wrong but you have a very high tolerance for broken games. Other people don’t.
yeah, i'm just on pc so i had to do some adjusting to make it run good, yet when it plays it plays well. it's unfortunate that console players were stuck with what appears to be an incomplete product. they should make it their priority to correct things on that front, maybe help to generate some goodwill with console players.

Rikkori

Yeah on PC it is super dope.

It's a major fuck up on somebody's part.

I played all the way through on PS4 Pro and it was fine. Honestly I think COVID probably fucked w a lot of endgame polishing stuff and a complicit access journalist media decided not to report on the lack of real last gen console footage.

It is honestly a problem of information. The public was sold something that it had not seen. Had the media told people "The game crashes all the time on PS4 and runs like trash" then we would have known.

Apparently not a single journalist requested to see last gen footage? But they all kept smiling and taking the money and wrote articles about dick and pussy sliders instead.

The more I look at it and the more I think about it the more I come to think that they should've completely abandoned trying to add any sort of systemic elements to it, and instead should have focused purely on the RPG & stories, with just few activities sprinkled in, and then use the base of the game they've already built for a sequel and then in that sequel, which would be next-gen exclusive, they could go actually wild on it & start adding systemic elements and focus more on emergent gameplay and open world elements.

Because it's clear a lot of effort & time has went into creating the world, which necessarily leaves less time for experimenting on the gameplay side, not to mention it's impossible for them to do it with jaguar CPU as a limitation. To me Cyberpunk 2077 would've made more sense if they went The Witcher 2 direction, and then for the sequel they can try to be more Kingdom Come/Red Dead Redemption 2-ish.

I guess we'll see how they approach it when the sequel does drop 6-7 years from now because clearly they won't abandon this brand and I personally love the game anyway.

PSlayer

What good news?
It looks even worse now, how can anyone call this "optimization"? They just lowered the settings even more, it's absurd. A bigger scam than Star Citizen.
That is exactly what developers call optimization. It's time for people to understand that, most of the time, the word "optimization" or "polishing" means "finding the balance between performance and visuals",similarly to how PC gamers tweak their settings to get stable framerate.

It pretty rare to see "magic coding" that makes things run faster with no penalty, not only because most algorithms running underneat games are old and heavily optimized already, but also because developers rely on third party engines and frameworks so they don't have to touch on hard code anymore.

I am not sure about that, Night City seems to be unlike anything else we have seen in terms of city design within the open world genre. The sense of scale and density of objects is through the roof and feels truly next gen in that regard.

I mean just look at the comparison with Watch Dogs Legion, which does not run very well on last gen base machines by the way. London is packed with details as well and "simulation aspects" of the world (basically NPC AI) is definitely better than CP but everything feels super tiny in comparison to Night City, where for example buildings are like 5-10 fold bigger

Looks the same to me.

iorek21

Seriously, if their plan was always to release on the PS4/Xone, then why the hell didn’t they scale the game accordingly?

Make it in a smaller scope, try aiming at slightly worse graphics (something between Deus Ex, Mafia, TW3 or other acceptable looking open world games).

But nooo, they just went with whatever came up in their minds without any real plan or contingencies.

Is CDPR a Polish studio or a Brazilian one? What they did with CP2077 is exactly what a Brazilian company would do.

Seriously, if their plan was always to release on the PS4/Xone, then why the hell didn’t they scale the game accordingly?

Make it in a smaller scope, try aiming at slightly worse graphics (something between Deus Ex, Mafia, TW3 or other acceptable looking open world games).

But nooo, they just went with whatever came up in their minds without any real plan or contingencies.

Is CDPR a Polish studio or a Brazilian one? What they did with CP2077 is exactly what a Brazilian company would do.
What's whith the discrimination?

NahaNago

Having not played both games I kept getting watch dogs legion confused with cyberpunk because of how good it looked at times. I totally agree that scale of cyberpunk feels a lot larger since you have tons of tall building everywhere so you don't really get that airy outside feel you get from watch dogs. The density issue could be excused because of the style of cities. Cyberpunk seemed more claustrophobic feeling in that vid. I will say that cyberpunk did not seem to look as good as watchdogs in that video though.

MadAnon

Visually in this comparison WD blows CP77 out of the water, that much is clear. During the day walk CP looks like an entire gen behind.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Did i hear that right 40GB patch?? 😳this game is such a mess

Ths company just doesn't give a shit about their console players im starting to think Sony did the right thing by removing the game from their store
They give a shit. They are dumping a ton of resources into trying to fix this, unlike other games like Mass Effect Andromeda that just abandoned their games.

But they also bit off way more than they can chew. They clearly didn't start working on console until way too late, after they had already built the begins and assets in a way that wouldn't really work well on console. There's not an easy fix here they could do but don't want to. They're doing what they can, they just fucked up bad.

People think optimization is just about efficient code. It's also about how you build your assets, about how you design the engine. To really make this game work WELL on last gen you would have to totally remake it.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
What good news?
It looks even worse now, how can anyone call this "optimization"? They just lowered the settings even more, it's absurd. A bigger scam than Star Citizen.
Optimization isn't a magic wand. It usually means cutting corners and removing or simplifying things. And ideally you do that in a way that is subtle and hard to put your finger on and it doesn't look quite as good but it's close enough.

In Cyberpunk's case, they have a lot more distance to travel. In particular they are really having a hard time with the CPU budget, and a lot of that has to do with the amount of streaming assets they have to load and decompress.

What they've done here is not so much a cut but a reprioritization of the processes. They're saying to the game that keeping up with the frame rate and gameplay is priority over loading certain non-essential assets like signs or extra NPCs and to do those things when it has the overhead.

The other alternative would be to rebuild the assets at a lower quality with less CPU intensive compression. That's obviously going to come at a cost to visual quality as well.

Top Bottom