• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 |OT| The Future Is Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lister

Banned
I have a serious question regarding the apparent drama around game developers tying bonuses to Metacritic scores.
This seems to be perceived as toxic by the gaming community at large, and I don't understand it.

In every job I have ever held there has been some kind of performative metric tied to my ability to earn a raise or receive a bonus of some kind at the end of the year, and I genuinely don't see how this is any different. It is easily the most relevant "metric" you can tie to game development.

I have seen people screeching that it should be based on sales, but that seems way more dependent on your marketing departments ability to sale the game, and less about the quality of the game itself.

Am I completely off base here and out of touch, or am I just seeing a vocal minority making a big deal out of nothing?

Bringing this up because of all the huffing and puffing going on because CD Projekt Red was going to dole out bonuses if the game reached a 90 on Metacritic. (They have since decided to give out a bonus regardless, which is even better!)

Uhm, at your work, is the metric that defines your bonus and promotion potential based on your performance, or on the crappy management of other people and the performance of other teams?

Further is that metric based on some type of objective data points, or is it completely and utterly subjective, where some random dude can change the metric that determines YOUR bonus because, gee I don't know, there was a pandemic happening and your teams game happened to be a little too scary for the snowflake and he'd rather be playing animal crossing...

Not only are these scores very subjective and often times arbitrary, but they often reflect on the management and production at the top, not on the work of say an individual animator or programmer. And those at the top are mlthe most likely to get the larger share of the profits anyway and often don't shoulder the type of extra work time experienced during crunch.

Last edited:

Shouta

Yeah, I was wondering about that perk. In the first 7 hours I've played, junk is basically the main source of money, so I couldn't see why I would want to automatically break everything down. Better to have the choice. Doesn't take that long to go into the inventory and break down what you don't want to sell for parts.

That perk is more for crafters than anything since you can make pretty much everything with a recipe and there are other perks that increase the price of crafted items when sold. Probably best not to take it if you aren't going to dabble in that.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Im so jealous of the X's quality mode :( Way better ress, shadows, SSAO and NPC/car density. Its still not even close to PC version but looks a lot better than what we got on PS5 :(

Last edited:
Reactions: KO7
D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Getting junk with 750 eddy value that gets auto-destroyed into a common component. Doesn't make much sense in that regard.
I would like to believe the amount of parts/quality of parts you get correlates to the value of the junk, but I haven’t been able to test this

Bartski

Gold Member
Just rolled the credits.

Deliberately went for what most likely is the least exciting finale, an option you get after
crossing the expected "point of no return" and one that quite abruptly ends the campaign before, what seems like, a multitude of exciting and different scenarios of how grand finale can play out.

The game absolutely delivers on side quests, most or which are on pair with the main questline despite this content being roughly twice the size of the "main job"... That's quite an achievement.

I'm also leaving a lot of that stuff unresolved but to be perfectly honest after 53 hrs and almost 90 missions of such mix of the good, the bad and the ugly - I'm exhausted and really just wanted it to end.

The big filler here is the completely bare-bones open world aspect of the game with ZERO emergent gameplay, which is probably not what people expected. Not what I expected either but most of the "handcrafted" stuff really makes up for it, as long as characters aren't glitching out and things work close to how they should.

I'm putting the game on hold to see how some of those stories end, as well as the "real" ending for my character, until after the next-gen patch... which I really hope will be as much about performance as about bugs and truly abysmal AI that unfortunately makes this game difficult to recommend in its current state.

Last edited:

Nikoran

Neo Member
I enjoyed my time with the game (about 30 hours worth,. still wanting to go back in and do more of the side content) but the main story was severely underwhelming for me. The game up until the aftermath of the heist was enjoyable and interesting, but the stakes they set after that sort of just made me uninterested. It also felt really short when compared with the Witcher 3, which I think people complained was too long? Whatever. I suppose we will have to wait and see what CDPR plan to do in terms of DLC/Expansion Packs, but I think they have a lot of work to do with the base game before they should even consider bringing out brand new content for the game.

There are some thing I do question, like not being able to customise your character after the initial creation. I know that the majority of the game is in the first person perspective, but for them to go on about how deep the customisation was only to lock you out from actually changing anything after you start is weird. The cars as well, I was hoping to take my car into an auto-shop to change the colour scheme, upgrade the engine etc, but nothing was there to let me do that.

The actual city and all the detail they poured into it is great, it's the type of game I've been wanting for years. A large, futuristic city to explore with all the neon lights and crummy streets. It reminds me of Mega City One more than the Los Angeles of Blade Runner or Neo-Kobe of SNATCHER, but that's something I like.

There is still a lot of work to do with the game in terms of making it playable for the ones that went with the console versions and for general bugs that pretty much ruin the experience. The subsequent delays make me wonder what they were actually working on and the state of the game when those delays were decided.

I know that most people are disappointed with the game because it was not what they expected. I don't know if that has to do with the marketing of the game or individual expectations. Personally, I like it (aside from my personal gripes with the main story). There are things I wish were included, but hopefully once the game's major issues have been ironed out and fixed, they can spend some time in adding to the game.

It's a shame that the game is getting beaten and torn apart, but with something like this that has taken almost 8 years to come out, I can understand why.

Lister

Banned
I'm loving this game. The characters and the world are amazing.

Its truly a AAA CRPG.

And while the performance with my almost half decade old 1080 is pretty good, I want to experience the game with raytracing. So I'm going to wait for a new gpu.

Hopefully I can get my hands on a 3080 by early next year.

Last edited:

Poppyseed

I'm really bummed by how buggy this game is even on my high-end PC. Weird glitches like a major baddie getting stuck in an elevator, floating NPCs etc.

I also pretty much have no idea what I'm doing - as the game does a TERRIBLE job of explaining how much you can level up in the game - is it bad to spread points across different abilities or be more focused. The UI is also terrible with a gamepad. 11 hours in and still not a clue how to actually "play" the game.

If this game had had another few months to polish and refine the interface, not to mention remove some AWFUL bugs (I had to reload a save due to the "Viktor" quest never clearing), this game could have been really something.

Ironically I have no complaints with the performance of the game - runs at 1440p/60fps no issue with Ultra settings/RT full on/DLSS on on a 10700K/3080.

Last edited:

Cracklox

As a base ps4 user still playing and really enjoying the game, I have one key piece of advice to making the experience more tolerable to any one else in the same boat.

Play it stealth. Beside the fact that the hacking distraction and stealth kills are pretty OP, you alleviate some performance issues. Going around stealthily killing or sneaking past mooks doesn't mess with the frame rate the same way blasting away in gun fights with shit exploding and effects going off everywhere does. I've done a tonne of side stuff in 20 odd hours and more or less everything is viable via the stealthy route so far. The exception being cyberphysco's (who I've managed to cheese a few of), and (I'm assuming as I've only done one) boss battles.

If stealth ain't your thing, then I can perfectly understand not wanting to play on the old consoles. I've been save scumming a fair bit to do perfect stealth runs, and the few time's I've let big gunfights breakout, it's become a total mess. Which is a shame, because the gunplay feels pretty nice, it just turns the game into a bit of a slide show.

So, if you're cool with stealth, savescum'ing, and it otherwise not running and looking as good as it does on slightly newer hardware, then I'd say, its a pretty damn good game.

I understand thats a few pretty big qualifiers, but it works for me

Woggleman

Another thing is if you are on X Box one X or PS4 Pro force it to run at 1080P. It actually looks better and runs a lot more smoothly.

I've got a strange bug. Whenever the phone call UI comes up (the talking head) it shows the character I've called, or who has called me, and Delamain in differing positions. Very strange.

John2290

How...Loading...many...loading...times...loading...can...loading...some...loading...poor...loading...fucker...loading...pass...loading...out?

I know no one will really know 100%, but just trying to see if I am being somewhat realistic or dreaming about the next gen updates...

1. Do you think we (PS5 and Xbox Series X) users will have a full blown next gen update within the next 6 months?

2. Do you think a majority of the bugs will be ironed out by then?

3. Do you think the next gen consoles will also get an FoV slider?
Hard to say, but here are my thoughts.

1. Likely.
2. I'm sure quite a few will be, simply due to how much money this is making them and how high profile it is.
3. Is this a thing for consoles nowadays? Normally I'd say 'unlikely'.

harmny

Banned
I have a serious question regarding the apparent drama around game developers tying bonuses to Metacritic scores.
This seems to be perceived as toxic by the gaming community at large, and I don't understand it.

In every job I have ever held there has been some kind of performative metric tied to my ability to earn a raise or receive a bonus of some kind at the end of the year, and I genuinely don't see how this is any different. It is easily the most relevant "metric" you can tie to game development.

I have seen people screeching that it should be based on sales, but that seems way more dependent on your marketing departments ability to sale the game, and less about the quality of the game itself.

Am I completely off base here and out of touch, or am I just seeing a vocal minority making a big deal out of nothing?

Bringing this up because of all the huffing and puffing going on because CD Projekt Red was going to dole out bonuses if the game reached a 90 on Metacritic. (They have since decided to give out a bonus regardless, which is even better!)

and also they hit the target. so there is no problem at all.
now imagine working your ass off for years to make a great game and hit 90 metacritic and then the alt left gets angry at a random asset, an ad that has nothing to do with the game and they score your game a 6-7. lol

Last edited:

cebri.one

Nice pic.
What are your other specs and settings?
I'm running an i5 4670k w/ 1660ti.
I am waiting for some more ram.
I can play on high, but don't mind the visuals and frame rate increase with some medium settings.

6600k OC to 4.5 Ghz. However in some areas there are heavy dips. i5 don't cut it anymore, there were already some games that have issues on 4cores/threads.

John2290

Another thing is if you are on X Box one X or PS4 Pro force it to run at 1080P. It actually looks better and runs a lot more smoothly.
I was doing that until 1.04 just to get rid of the fan noise and yes it greatly improved performance on 1.02 but it's not the case anymore, forcing 1080p is a lower resolution at the games hieghts without much of a performance boost. They managed to make it just as stable (which isn't saying much) with 2160p and man, when the game looks good... the games looks GOOD.

HotPocket69

Banned
Currently

Xg5AU6k.jpg

DS62p8U.jpg

DarkBatman

Sadly CDPR offered me the worst game release experience I ever had.
Game looks and runs terrible and they fucked up their pretty pricey CE. And instead of offering any help, they pretty much accuse me of lying and stealing.

I'm pretty happy to see how many gamers seem to love the overall experience.
For me the hype is dead and I'm pretty much done with CDPR, even if it hurts a bit.

John2290

I'm really bummed by how buggy this game is even on my high-end PC. Weird glitches like a major baddie getting stuck in an elevator, floating NPCs etc.

I also pretty much have no idea what I'm doing - as the game does a TERRIBLE job of explaining how much you can level up in the game - is it bad to spread points across different abilities or be more focused. The UI is also terrible with a gamepad. 11 hours in and still not a clue how to actually "play" the game.

If this game had had another few months to polish and refine the interface, not to mention remove some AWFUL bugs (I had to reload a save due to the "Viktor" quest never clearing), this game could have been really something.

Ironically I have no complaints with the performance of the game - runs at 1440p/60fps no issue with Ultra settings/RT full on/DLSS on on a 10700K/3080.
Lol, count yourself lucky if that's the extent of your problems. Before 1.04 I had to turn off my console, restart it and redo all my personal settings. Sometimes two or three times in an hour if I happened to drive without thinking or fast travel. Play the game on an OG PS4 for an hour or two then go back to your system, I done that, went back to my PRO version and it gave me some perspective plus 1.04 ironed out almost ever complaint since but I'd still recommend doing it.

Komatsu

For those struggling on PC, once again I recommend Stadia as a very viable option. You can play it on Chrome with KB + Mouse just as a regular PC title and if your rig is wired to a high speed connection, it looks gorgeous. Game is shining on that platform.

Madflavor

Welp I tried swapping out my HDD to my new SSD I just got, so CP77 would load and render faster. Did not go well at all. For some reason the PC wouldn't boot properly. I went into the Bios Menu and setting my SSD to Priority #1. Didn't work. Restored defaults. Didn't work. Made sure the SSD was being recognized to begin with. It was. Selected it as my primary. Didn't work. Ended up giving up and switched back to my HDD. I don't know what to do aside from getting a Sata cable, and setting up my SSD as my secondary, and see if my PC can at least recognize it that way. Sucks, I spent $120 on it.

Last edited:
Sadly CDPR offered me the worst game release experience I ever had.
Game looks and runs terrible and they fucked up their pretty pricey CE. And instead of offering any help, they pretty much accuse me of lying and stealing.

I'm pretty happy to see how many gamers seem to love the overall experience.
For me the hype is dead and I'm pretty much done with CDPR, even if it hurts a bit.
On PS4? What happened with your CE? I got mine yesterday and it all adds up. Sorry to hear you are having a bad time of it.

Welp I tried swapping out my HDD to my new SSD I just got, so CP77 would load and render faster. Did not go well at all. For some reason the PC wouldn't boot properly. I went into the Bios Menu and setting my SSD to Priority #1. Didn't work. Restored defaults. Didn't work. Made sure the SSD was being recognized to begin with. It was. Selected it as my primary. Didn't work. Ended up giving up and switched back to my HDD. I don't know what to do aside from getting a Sata cable, and setting up my SSD as my secondary, and see if my PC can at least recognize it that way. Sucks, I spent $120 on it.

Does the SSD already have windows on it or are you not able to get far enough to format/partition the drive and install the OS?

Last edited:

Komatsu

Did you clone your old HDD to your SSD?

That reminds me, we should probably have a PC Building/Support thread...

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Can't you go back to the first ripper (Viktor?) and pay off the E$20k you owe him or is that not possible? I can even remember where his shop is.

Madflavor

Did you clone your old HDD to your SSD?

That reminds me, we should probably have a PC Building/Support thread...

I'm only bringing it up cuz I mentioned earlier I'm getting an SSD for the game a couple days ago, so I'm just following up. And no I didn't clone it. Is that pretty much the reason?

Lister

Banned
For those struggling on PC, once again I recommend Stadia as a very viable option. You can play it on Chrome with KB + Mouse just as a regular PC title and if your rig is wired to a high speed connection, it looks gorgeous. Game is shining on that platform.

Whats the resolution on stadia? I was thinking about goeforce now but its only 1080 and no support for.uktra wide there.

kbear

God gorilla arms are ridiculous. I'm just beating the hell out of everyone. And I just ripped the gun from a turret for the first time - guys were just exploding and body parts going everywhere. I love this game.

Already thinking about how to make a corpo cyber hacker/sword build on my next playthrough.
You or anyone else have a video of this? The exploding body parts and mayhem with gorilla arms

cormack12

Gold Member
Can't you go back to the first ripper (Viktor?) and pay off the E$20k you owe him or is that not possible? I can even remember where his shop is.

Yeah, just select it in your journal and track this job. Or work out from your apartment its not that hard. Dont exoect a reward or anything. He says keep it but V says naw and pays it.

Woggleman

I am running it from an external SSD on my One X so maybe that is part of why I don't seem to be running into the issues that others are.

DarkBatman

On PS4? What happened with your CE? I got mine yesterday and it all adds up. Sorry to hear you are having a bad time of it.

PS5. Several crashes within the first few hours. One crash fried my save game, had to start from 0.
Some more crashed followed, but I wanted to give the game a second chance. Then the patch came and fried my save game again.

The CE situation broke me hype completely, though.
It arrived on Thursday and I was pretty overwhelmed, because the quality and contents are just A+++.
After preaparing everything for the initial install, I wanted to check the statue and found one piece missing in the styropor box.

Contacted CDPR about that and the first reaction was a "We never had that happened" followed by a "How can we know you didn't take the part out and just want a refund or another CE box for free?"
Now I also contacted the publisher in Germany and some other contacts at CDPR and hope the situation will change.

PS5. Several crashes within the first few hours. One crash fried my save game, had to start from 0.
Some more crashed followed, but I wanted to give the game a second chance. Then the patch came and fried my save game again.

The CE situation broke me hype completely, though.
It arrived on Thursday and I was pretty overwhelmed, because the quality and contents are just A+++.
After preaparing everything for the initial install, I wanted to check the statue and found one piece missing in the styropor box.

Contacted CDPR about that and the first reaction was a "We never had that happened" followed by a "How can we know you didn't take the part out and just want a refund or another CE box for free?"
Now I also contacted the publisher in Germany and some other contacts at CDPR and hope the situation will change.
Oof, that f'ing sucks all around. Sorry, mang. :lollipop_confounded:

Mozzarella

I'm loving the combat, for a first person RPG its fun, gunplay is very good. (Melee? not as much but still decent, i mean what can you do with melee weapons first person)
I dont like clothing system though, its utter garbage. Makes me look like a clown, also the good clothes NPC wear, we dont get to use them, and to think about that after they publish the video Cyberpunk 2077 - In style. Makes me mad tbh. Where is the style? I went to every shop and its basically similar bad clothes, no style, no fashion, what the hell is this!! I hope they add some free DLC as customization.

Also soundtrack is fantastic, this Marcin guy knows his stuff.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Smart weapons kind of suck ass. They seem to miss a lot, even point black with a smart double barrel shotgun. I have the implant and all.

THEAP99

Banned
The more I play Cyberpunk 2077, the more disappointed I am in this game with it's bugs, glitches, and brain dead open world.

Bartski

Gold Member
Seeing people beat it already. I'm still in Act 1, pre-title card at 23.5 hours.

to those of you who beat it: does the game end completely or can you continue to play after the ending?

you can revert to your last save before a certain moment that starts the final chapter

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
When people say they're 9 hours into the prologue... are they basically saying all of Act 1 is prologue?

You’re limited to one section of the city during Act 1, very much equal to White Orchard in W3. Once Act 2 begins the whole map is opened up for the taking.

So yeah it sort of is the prologue.

And it took me around 15 hours. Doing everything in that one city zone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom