• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Night City Wire #2 - August 10th 6PM CEST

Ivory Blood

Going Corpo girl - all for that Motoko Kusanagi feel.

Honestly it looks great - shooting feels solid, lifepaths seem to be a lot more than just origins from Dragon Age, and the art is just out of this world.

Hope CDPR makes that november 19th date - they at least seem pretty sure of it, plastering it all over the trailers.

MadYarpen

I like this episode. Still watching, but I just wanted to say... How no one is saying anything about the eyes of this lady? You could drown in them.

mortal

Gold Member
ZkdPsZr.gif
AHofd1s.gif
2Aaumnr.gif
KPeJoq4.gif
WhdRQzS.gif
7AcdcMb.gif

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member

Tactical dismemberment & canned vs ragdoll animation blending:

VG247: This probably applies more to guns than melee, but what are really the benefits of targeting different areas of an enemy’s body? Like, if you are shooting for the kneecaps, or for the feet, to try and slow them down, does that sort of thing work?

Kapala:
Absolutely. We have different hit reactions per body part of the NPCs. So, if somebody’s charging at you with a baseball bat, for example, if you shoot them in the kneecap, they will actually fall over. If you want to disarm somebody, quite literally, you can shoot them in the arm, and part of their arm will actually fly off. If you injure somebody in an arm, they might drop their two-handed weapon in favour of using a one-handed pistol. It’s not necessarily that we expect the players to use this at every opportunity, however, it’s useful to know about this, that sometimes, actually engaging the enemies in certain limbs will give you an edge in combat.

(...) what about character deaths? Is that canned animations, or is that physics? What goes on there?

Kapala:
It would be a mixture of the two. It depends on the strength of your weapon. So, if you headshot somebody with a small calibre pistol, you would not expect him to go into ragdoll, necessarily, or just to fly away. Like, we’re not doing a Quentin Tarantino movie. However, if you have a grenade explosion, you will see that the bodies actually get dismembered, they go into ragdoll, they get flung away from the centre of the explosion. And this extends to weapons as well. So, depending on the strength of your weapon, the overall power of your weapon, you will see different results there, on NPC death.

Bullet-sponges:

VG247: Obviously, in an RPG, at a point, you need to have enemies that can take a lot of punishment. But how do you avoid these bullet-spongey enemies, where encounters seem to drag on, and you’re shooting someone over and over again? I’m thinking about the big fella you see in the Braindance, who’s heavily augmented…

Kapala:
Adam Smasher.

VG247: Right. He’s clearly not going to be somebody that goes down in a few hits, no matter what weapon you’re using. Even if you’re using a rocket launcher, I would assume. So, how do you balance that, to make sure it doesn’t cross from challenging to frustrating?

Kapala:
So, in the core of the game, if we’re talking about the normal NPCs that you meet on the street, they can have different rarities to them, I would say. Most of the NPCs that you will meet are normal, just goons. And if you’re continuing to level up, and if you’re on the level of the enemy, you should never experience bullet sponginess. They will feel quite fast to kill, quite fast to engage. However, they’re quite deadly as well, so you need to basically use cover, and move around a lot.

Some of the NPCs will be more armoured, or more, how do I say? Some of the NPCs would be, like at officer level, so they’re more elite enemies that deal even more damage, and they take a little bit more punishment. However, what we opted to do there is that, we basically ensure that hit reactions on our NPCs are always played. This is a big problem in most of the games that I played that have bullet sponges – that basically you don’t see any type of reaction on the NPC as you’re hitting him. It feels like you’re literally shooting a sponge, like there’s nothing there. And we never want to have that. So, we will still play hit reactions on those NPCs. You will still see that they’re getting hurt. They will stumble, they will fall from your gunfire. So, that’s still in place. And as far as boss fights are concerned, well, I think it would be best if players see it for themselves. However, I can assure you that we took the necessary steps not to have them feel like bullet sponges as well.

A.Romero

Have we ever seen this running or even a screenshot of what this looks like on current gen?

I think it's going to be something similar to what we are looking at in the trailers (PC).

I couldn't resist the temptation and watched the stream. I'm hyped as hell. Probably the last major game I pick up this year... Unless I get a next gen console.

Everything looks right. It seems they made the right decisions everywhere. Never even read anything related to the Cyberpunk lore but I still find it attractive. I have the sensation this game will sell much better than Witcher 3.

MiguelItUp

It's looking better and better IMO. Hype was dormant for for a bit with all the delays, but I feel it picking back up. Excited about what I'm seeing! I usually don't bother replaying many titles, but with each path being so different, definitely makes me wanna check out every path.

The game looks and sounds phenomenal.
What we'll be getting for 65 bucks seems to be unparalleled in terms of value for money. The replayability promises to be off the charts.

Siri

Banned
I wasn’t a fan of The Witcher games, but I’m looking forward to Cyberpunk. I do believe though that a lot of The Witcher fans are going to be disappointed by this game. Expectations are too high for some people. This is what happens when games stay in development too long.

A.Romero

I wasn’t a fan of The Witcher games, but I’m looking forward to Cyberpunk. I do believe though that a lot of The Witcher fans are going to be disappointed by this game. Expectations are too high for some people. This is what happens when games stay in development too long.

I don't know how well I can represent the average Witcher fan (I spent close to 150 hrs playing Witcher 3) but so far it looks like Cyberpunk will be bigger and better in every conceivable way. It might not have as many weapons or armor pieces but I think it compensates very well with mods and configurations.

My expectations are in check but to be honest it's hard not to be hyped for this.

dV8tR

Neo Member
Both new trailers looking incredible. Weapons looking interesting, environments/sound amazing and all lifepaths look interesting - definitely looking like multiple playthroughs will be warranted. HYPE !!

Madflavor

My PC is I5 8400 cpu, RX 580 GPU, 16gb. Just bought a 1440p 32 inch 144hz monitor.

So now I gotta start thinking of upgrading. I'd like to think upgrading my GPU to a RTX 2060 Super and my Ram to 24g, but I dunno. We still don't have official PC recommended specs yet, and I'd really hate the thought of having to own a Lamborghini of a PC to run on Ultra 60fps.

M.W.

Anyone else not particularly impressed yet?

Don't get me wrong, the presentation looks slick but we don't play presentation. We play with mechanics. I haven't seen any particularly exciting gameplay mechanics yet.

I know what you mean. Hopefully it's as good as it appears.

I wish this game had AC unity level npc count. I know current tech is limited my console cpus so we won’t see that kind of density for a long time (ac unity was broken in many parts because of it).
Ass creed unity was so gorgeous. The crowd tech, the lighting, the interiors. It’s hard for me to judge the game since the Overwhelming graphics distract me so much.

scydrex

This is a CDPR game. Give it a year and it will be 100% better.

Exactly... I'm gonna wait 1 year or until they release the PS5 or full update for the PS5 version. I played Witcher 3 at launch. I liked the game but then I played the DLC after they were released and I told my self... damn I should have waited at bit for a couple of updates or until the first dlc release. The game was different and improved.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
So, the book that was mentioned at the end... The World of Cyberpunk 2077.... does anyone here own that? I’m a big book lover and the recent dismantling of Prima was a huge blow to me. I might have to buy that.

Abear21

Banned
Damn those gifs look incredible, I cannot wait to see the final product. When I was a kid and wondered what games would be like in 30 years, this is the game I imagined. The style, the look, the freedom, it all just looks like pure fun. If they nail this it could go down as one of the greats. Hyped!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
prolly corpo first here, instinct is none of the above but that doesn't exactly play
The interview they just put out helps explain what the decision really means in better detail. Other than the intro 2 hours being different, you mostly would play the same game after that point.

However, your choice of starting point will give you additional dialogue options throughout the game. So it's basically like choosing a skillset. Street Kid obviously will have much more knowledge of gangs, crime, and will be able to make deals and get additional options in situations like that. Corpo will have a greater understanding of business, and will understand hidden motives around high level, powerful people. Nomads will have a ton of experience in the badlands outside the city which is a dangerous area, and will be very experienced in fighting and survival skill.

Tesseract

Banned
The interview they just put out helps explain what the decision really means in better detail. Other than the intro 2 hours being different, you mostly would play the same game after that point.

However, your choice of starting point will give you additional dialogue options throughout the game. So it's basically like choosing a skillset. Street Kid obviously will have much more knowledge of gangs, crime, and will be able to make deals and get additional options in situations like that. Corpo will have a greater understanding of business, and will understand hidden motives around high level, powerful people. Nomads will have a ton of experience in the badlands outside the city which is a dangerous area, and will be very experienced in fighting and survival skill.
oh, should probably go nomad

thank you kindly for the information

Punished Miku

Gold Member
oh, should probably go nomad

thank you kindly for the information

No problem! I don't think it actually affects your skills, but more your dialogue options and ability to see hidden information in conversations that the other classes would have no experience in. A Street Kid wouldn't know a thing about high level executives and their motives, and vice versa.

THEAP99

Banned
I am gonna go corpo. This game looks great visually it will probably be the best looking game ever at release.

Gunplay seems pretty standard but for a deep RPG like this, I wouldn't expect amazingly great combat mechanics when what will define this is its world and branching paths that seem to be really ambitious.

Can't wait! This will be a ps5 launch game for me!

MadYarpen

Knowing CDPR i also suspect we will get some specific quests for each path. How significant I have no idea, but it makes sense for example to have a nomad-family quest, right? Or some corpo revenge etc.

Stuart360

My only real worry is the game length, and size of the map, in paticular the city itself. That screen shot froma while ago, which showed the whole map size, it made the city look tiny. And with CDPR already saying the game is shorter than Witcher 3, well if the devs themselves are the ones saying it, expect the game to be considerably shorter.

FireFly

My only real worry is the game length, and size of the map, in paticular the city itself. That screen shot froma while ago, which showed the whole map size, it made the city look tiny. And with CDPR already saying the game is shorter than Witcher 3, well if the devs themselves are the ones saying it, expect the game to be considerably shorter.
I thought they were talking about the main quest, since they are expanding the side quests.

Top Bottom