• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Cyberpunk 2077 needs 4-5 months of work to be polished and ready" Reddit undercover CDPR dev vetted by Jason Schreier

#Phonepunk#

Banned
4 months from October will be February

CDPR has told us patches are incoming

the full next gen version for consoles is due by March. March is 5 months from October. that matches the timeline Jason claimed in October.

So if his estimation is right the timeline of the patches matches what they had been planning for months and we should expect massive improvements by March

The game isn’t going to magically have all these GTA style mini games people want for some reason. It won’t have deep dialogue trees for random npcs (seriously this is the most bizarre criticism I see about the game, what open world game has npcs that aren’t just set dressing?). But it will clean up a lot of the bugs and improve last gen performance.

The game isn’t “unfinished” it is unoptimised for consoles and needs bug patches on all platforms. Which is what they are doing. They already pledged towards free updates for the next gen version so this was always looked at as a work in progress. This is extremely common for gaming these days so honestly I’ve no idea why people are freaking out.

Last edited:
CDPR really fucked this one up. I'm interested in eventually hearing what actually happened during the development of this game. I'm figuring things were probably overhauled and restarted from scratch multiple times. Any time a game goes over 5 years for development (including pre-production) and still comes out this buggy, something went wrong in a big way.

Jason's problem isn't his sources. He seems to have unparalleled access to industry pros. It's the political angle. He's wrong and then wrong, before being wrong yet again.
He's also a condescending elitist that blocks anyone that disagrees with him. His echo chamber is deafening. The guy puts out some very very good work, but seems like a complete and total prick.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

the full next gen version for consoles is due by March. March is 5 months from October. that matches the timeline Jason claimed in October.

So if his estimation is right the timeline of the patches matches what they had been planning for months and we should expect massive improvements by March

The game isn’t going to magically have all these GTA style mini games people want for some reason. It won’t have deep dialogue trees for random npcs (seriously this is the most bizarre criticism I see about the game, what open world game has npcs that aren’t just set dressing?). But it will clean up a lot of the bugs and improve last gen performance.

The game isn’t “unfinished” it is unoptimised for consoles and needs bug patches on all platforms. Which is what they are doing. They already pledged towards free updates for the next gen version so this was always looked at as a work in progress. This is extremely common for gaming these days so honestly I’ve no idea why people are freaking out.

Where you get the bolded from?

Rikkori

Why on Earth did they initially think the game would be ready for a release in April (this year)...?
Sometimes you put a deadline down because otherwise things tend to drift. I can't tell you how many construction projects I've seen where it's clear to everyone involved that the deliverables are 100% wishful thinking but nonetheless everyone engages in the charade all the same. Same for cost - hence you see a lot of "cost overrun" for such projects, but in reality the bids were too low. You still had to make the bids low because otherwise you'd have no chance at the contract but everyone knows it's all bullshit.

So, my guess is that the April date was purely there so that a target date exists and thus they can push all the devs towards it.

Was there any confirmation or word that they would have next gen patches around March?

Denton

CDPR really fucked this one up. I'm interested in eventually hearing what actually happened during the development of this game. I'm figuring things were probably overhauled and restarted from scratch multiple times.
Only once, after TW3 shipped they started fresh preproduction and most of what was prepared before TW3 was redone. Because Adam Badowski became director and had different vision for it.
Nothing scandalous happened, apart from CDP management being idiots and launching the game prematurely.

I hope this will serve as a lesson for them to never again ship a game before it is 100% Rockstar-level ready. Because they severly damaged reputation they have been building for 20 years.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

Only once, after TW3 shipped they started fresh preproduction and most of what was prepared before TW3 was redone. Because Adam Badowski became director and had different vision for it.
Nothing scandalous happened, apart from CDP management being idiots and launching the game prematurely.

I hope this will serve as a lesson for them to never again ship a game before it is 100% Rockstar-level ready. Because they severly damaged reputation they have been building for 20 years.
also they should never announce the game too early.

Derktron

Banned
And they still released the game in the current state it is in, that's truly pathetic and uncalled for and I expected better from CPR. Cyberpunk 2077 is the last game I ever get from them and I mean it. I would prefer EA games or Ubisoft games then these people.

e&e

Banned
So Sony delisted this and doing refunds...all that goodwill built up over years go down the drain wtf???

Edgelord79

Gold Member
It's funny reading comments from posters who don't game on PC trumpet talking points from those who do as if it were their own.

Their desperation to be authorities on certain subject matters reeks of self-aggrandization. Their sudden concern for all things gaming on PC is touching....

Scotty W

Gold Member
This is the kind of gamer stuff that drives me crazy.

They delayed the game repeatedly and people called it vaporware and said it would never arrived.

They tried crunching to finish it and people freaked out.

They released a very good product with some serious problems that they have pledged to fix, and you get the same chorus of complaints.

There is not a single thing they could do which would not result in tears except for ‘plan better and execute flawlessly’. The exact same way that SJWs use to condemn society. Coincidence?

In the meantime, finish part of the backlog you have been
meaning to get to, you complaint addicted children.

This is the kind of gamer stuff that drives me crazy.

They delayed the game repeatedly and people called it vaporware and said it would never arrived.

They tried crunching to finish it and people freaked out.

They released a very good product with some serious problems that they have pledged to fix, and you get the same chorus of complaints.

There is not a single thing they could do which would not result in tears except for ‘plan better and execute flawlessly’. The exact same way that SJWs use to condemn society. Coincidence?

In the meantime, finish part of the backlog you have been
meaning to get to, you complaint addicted children.
A very good product on PC

People are rightfully upset because they hid the version of the game that a huge chunk of people will be playing and that version of the game looks and plays like absolute dookie. It would be another thing if they had shown off gameplay footage and let the press go hands on with it pre release like they did with the PC version, but the public didn't really have any idea until the game was out. Another perfect example of why you shouldn't pre order games.

It's a really scummy move however you want to cut it, and I'm a huge CDPR fan.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Eh, how many copies do they realistically miss out on selling if they simply wait and release a finished game? Does the holiday season make people who wouldn't have bought it get it anyway?
They knew the holiday season was coming and released a banged up game this tells me a couple of things. Games are chess pieces to developers in the end sales matter. Delaying the game again doesn’t automatically mean a better built game will launch. I don’t know why this was released other than for the holiday season. People are paying to play the game, delaying again could be smart but I would rather launch and than give them patched (Socom Confrontation, Fallout, Halo MCC etc.) you could argue today games are absolutely released broken today and “get right” over the course of time. This one feels like it’s unique.

Bkdk

I think incompetant devs is a bigger issue, the art and visuals team did a near perfect job while the AI and level design team struggles to make most basic level and AI work. Those quest level design is worse than deus ex human revolution after years of development, how is it even possible? Rushed is just an excuse for some incompetant developers and departments within the team. Ubisoft managed to have some better open world AI within 2-3 years of their development timeframe, some departments clearly need big restructuring or just scale it back to deus ex size of a project for the sequel.

Last edited:
CPDR needs to do what Microsoft reluctantly did with Halo: Infinite and accept it's going to need a huge delay. They need to refund anyone who wants it right now and Microsoft should de-list it from their store.

I know both games are from CDPR, but I really wish people stop comparing Cyberpunk 2077 to Witcher 3, it’s giving people the wrong impression, they’re not on the same level. It’s like comparing Dead Space to Mass Effect Andromeda, just no. Other companies had their hits and miss, cdpr doesn’t get a free pass, as much as I love Witcher 3 it should never be spoken in the same breath as Cybergunk 2077.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
CPDR needs to do what Microsoft reluctantly did with Halo: Infinite and accept it's going to need a huge delay. They need to refund anyone who wants it right now and Microsoft should de-list it from their store.
Well I don't think they need to delisted it from store in full extent, just make it unavailable for Xbox One base, if that's even possible. Also I think that since they are refunding it absolutely no question asked, even if you finished the game. I feel like total delist is not needed, general public now knows about this situation, it even hits mainstream media. I watched Czech news in the morning and they were talking about it. After information that we have biggest influx in consoles ever here. I am suprised, because this sort of news are normally ignored here. Well outside of when Daniel Vávra do some game, because then it's all day long in the news.

I'll keep harping on the essential truth.

The board is there because the rightful owners want it so. No one but the rightful owners has the right to pick the board and upper management. Therefore, no one but the board and upper management has the mandate to lead the company. If shareholders are dissatisfied then can always see to it that the leadership is replaced. Just know the board includes some of the biggest individual shareholders.

Developers work for CDPR. Developers do not own CDPR. No matter how many times upper management screws up - and there have been a few - it is still the Board's right and mandate to steer the company towards whatever safe harbour they have in mind. They reap both the rewards and the backlashes of their decisions. They screwed-up. They seemingly misled and concealed crucial info. Let them deal with what's hit the fan and learn from it.

If you as a developer don't appreciate the direction CDPR has gone in and your repeated attempts to persuade management have failed, leave. It cannot be healthy for you to inflict so much stress upon yourself, to work at a company whose management you view as the villains, not just as sincerely wrong or even incompetent, no, but actual villains, as some greedy exploitative pigs in YA fiction.

Have the integrity you demand of others.
Leave.

Longer development means higher development costs. Those salaries have first to be paid and then to be covered for. Either shareholders accept a dent on their profits or, voilá!, the price tag will reflect the extended development. Perhaps that's part of what former Sony exec had in mind when he said current AAA development model is not viable.

I am also curious as to how return and refund policies on digital goods are going to evolve. Surely, executives are reading these threads. They can't possibly be cheerful about, for example, a folk, say, playing 70 hours of a game, finishing it, and then asking for a refund with a straight face. In what bizarre cosmos is this not blatant abuse?

What a time to be alive.

Royal-Slime

Banned
I'm just hoping that when February patches make the game perform well on every platform, CDPR is going to announce plans for free content (which will take those 3 months) and then after that (!) plans for DLC.

It will be very interesting to see how exactly are they planning to sell 30 million copies and make story DLC until 2022, and then have people play the multiplayer in 2022....

Royal-Slime

Banned
I am also curious as to how return and refund policies on digital goods are going to evolve. Surely, executives are reading these threads. They can't possibly be cheerful about, for example, a folk, say, playing 70 hours of a game, finishing it, and then asking for a refund with a straight face. In what bizarre cosmos is this not blatant abuse?
It's simple. Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo will continue doing what they do - not offer any refunds at all. :p Pre-orders - maybe but I highly doubt someone at Sony will come out and say "we'll not start offering refunds on our games". Just no way. They're very scared of loosing even one percent of sales and they don't even try to implement regional pricing for regions where buying a 60$ game was incredibly difficult... and now games are 70$. All Sony needs to do is have a strict system of IP-check, maybe do a mobile phone check, there are ways. They just don't care and will squeeze out the profit out of USA, Europe and Asia the way they do it now.

Top Bottom