• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Cyberpunk 2077 needs 4-5 months of work to be polished and ready" Reddit undercover CDPR dev vetted by Jason Schreier

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I would pay a lot of money to get a peek at that garbage fire, considering the state it's in on consoles now in December
I'm guessing some aspects of the game outpaced others. Like obviously the art and content feel pretty complete, probably have been for a while. The game looks great, tons of stuff to do... And that stuff I think is easier to plan and predict how long it will take.

But bug fixing is much harder. I mean there are a couple quest bugs that never got fixed in Witcher 3 after 3 years of patches. And they clearly needed time on systems and AI and that kind of thing too.

Although I do have to say, even for as incredible and unprecedent as the world detail is, why are there like 4 billboards? It's a fucking Cyberpunk game, guys.

Well ,people with a high end PC are saying the game is great

Wouldnt call it great even with all the bugs ironed out. Some problems are fundamental to the game design like the AI.

Why on Earth did they initially think the game would be ready for a release in April (this year)...?

Maybe they originally planned to split the new gen and old gen in release window. But then management got greedy and went all in to get those Xmas sales by releasing ecerything in a broken mess.

Last edited:
Will this user and the 33 other users who liked this post now come back and admit they were wrong about Jason?

Lets find out in the next episode of People who will never admit they were wrong.

Jason's problem isn't his sources. He seems to have unparalleled access to industry pros. It's the political angle. He's wrong and then wrong, before being wrong yet again.

Let's see how the game's shaping out by May n2021.

Yoda

Looks like this "insider" was on the money. Finished the game last night (PC) and it's truly an incredible experience when everything is working as (I think) they intended. Bugs aside a few other areas needs polish: crafting, loot, skill progression. They need another 3 months on the console versions alone though, so even mid 2021 seems like a stretch.

cripterion

I'd rather play a polished game than a broken one. If it takes 5 months or even more so be it.

In the end all you'll get is a polish game
tenor.gif

I think they'll patch the game to no hell yeah. But damn they have their work cut out for them... especially when it comes to the AI : shoot in indoors area, go back out and notice people around creeping in their foetus position, you can steal litteraly everything in the face of the NPC's and no reaction...

Royal-Slime

Banned
One day developers will understand how letting these "journalists" get away with bribing people to leak info, how all this focus on "insiders" is harming everyone: players, developers, publishers. I hope to see the day when Schreier and people like him will be sued.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Trusted people have been saying for over a month now that it was in a rough state and may not be ready.

This hardly qualifies as "Nostradamus" worthy.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
One day developers will understand how letting these "journalists" get away with bribing people to leak info, how all this focus on "insiders" is harming everyone: players, developers, publishers. I hope to see the day when Schreier and people like him will be sued.
So you want it to be easier for publishers to lie to us and release half finished games?

Royal-Slime

Banned
So you want it to be easier for publishers to lie to us and release half finished games?
I mean, bribing developers, spreading lies, trying to undermine potential sales and influence of a game they find to be "wrong", having a little army of dedicated snitches ("birds", I believe Schreier called them?) - all of that in no way stops EA, Ubisoft, Activision from making unfinished games. Remember that if you will not appreciate the efforts of CDProjectRed and other developers which are trying to make good games, all you're going to have left is online junk and lootboxes. Those types of games don't care about their public image or anything. Fortnite is the most hated game in existence even on the Internet... and yet it sells better than anything else.

Appreciate the developers and their work if you want them to let you play good games. If you don't want to - Fortnite is always there.

Last edited:

Madflavor

The game was well received and it is indeed great.

Has a tons of issues like he said.

April was the date most are choosing to say the game should be released.

It's absolutely a great game, on PC. Initial metacritic reviews released before the controversy show that the game itself is excellent, and most of the negativity is centered on the kind of cut corners a few more months in development could have fixed.

That's not just about bugs. A lot of people are hung up on features in the game that are scaled down or not fully fleshed out. Things like AI for NPCs and ambient cars being basically nil, or the hints at a GTA-style police system that is just not there. These are things that could have been addressed with just a little more development time, and they're not hugely game-breaking but they're clearly the primary source of a lot of the negativity.

I don't think it is in it's current state, but maybe one day it can be. It depends on how much they support the game after they release the big bug fix patches in Jan/Feb. The big problem with the game that me and so many others are finding, is that the world is just dead. That is a result of a combination of things such as the atrocious Police and Civilian AI, the fact there's no down time immersive activities to do in the city (gambling, cards, darts, pool, strip clubs, hanging with friends/girlfriend, gun range, etc), a severe lack of customization (no transmog, gun and car color, apartment customization, no barber, etc), not to mention all the design decisions that don't make sense.

It's not a bad game by any means. If I had to put a score on it, I would say it's a solid 7/10. But it needs work. A lot of work if it's ever gonna achieve greatness. But some of it's issues are so deeply ingrained into the game, who knows if it'll ever be fixed.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Crossing fingers MS gets it on Gamepass when next gen version hits. Get refund so out until it hits.

SF Kosmo

I don't think it is in it's current state, but maybe one day it can be. It depends on how much they support the game after they release the big bug fix patches in Jan/Feb. The big problem with the game that me and so many others are finding, is that the world is just dead. That is a result of a combination of things such as the atrocious Police and Civilian AI, the fact there's no down time immersive activities to do in the city (gambling, cards, darts, pool, strip clubs, hanging with friends/girlfriend, gun range, etc), a severe lack of customization (no transmog, gun and car color, apartment customization, no barber, etc), not to mention all the design decisions that don't make sense.

It's not a bad game by any means. If I had to put a score on it, I would say it's a solid 7/10. But it needs work. A lot of work if it's ever gonna achieve greatness. But some of it's issues are so deeply ingrained into the game, who knows if it'll ever be fixed.
It's a great game on its own merits. People evaluating it by subtraction against their dreams and expectations are kind of missing the point.

If you had never heard of this game or had any expectation for it, and just picked it up because it was an open world Deus Ex kind of game, you'd easily score it a 9/10. It's only because it got hyped up for 8 years that you're complaining you can't use the pool tables or whatever.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I mean, bribing developers, spreading lies, trying to undermine potential sales and influence of a game they find to be "wrong", having a little army of dedicated snitches ("birds", I believe Schreier called them?) - all of that in no way stops EA, Ubisoft, Activision from making unfinished games. Remember that if you will not appreciate the efforts of CDProjectRed and other developers which are trying to make good games, all you're going to have left is online junk and lootboxes. Those types of games don't care about their public image or anything. Fortnite is the most hated game in existence even on the Internet... and yet it sells better than anything else.

Appreciate the developers and their work if you want them to let you play good games. If you don't want to - Fortnite is always there.
I agree with you on the whole SJW, crunch nonsense that Schreier peddles in, but you can't pick and choose what "journalists" are allowed to report on. These companies can already through NDA's sue the employees who are leaking, but it is on them to lock this down.

Hawk269

You know what is interesting about the original post where the person was saying 4-6 months?

On the Conference Call they had not long ago due to all the back lash and issues, the team mentioned several times the following:

There will be another patch within the next 7 days..then the team is taking a much needed holiday break.

There will be a big patch in January

There will be a big patch in February

So if we back to that original article in the OP, which was done in October it seems to me that based on that timing that the patch that lands sometime in February, would be right around the 4 months that they person states. Does anyone else kind of think that these things and the the stuff they said on the conference call are kind of lining up. Like they knew the issues, they knew how long it might take to fix them? Just seemed to stand out to me a bit.

Madflavor

It's a great game on its own merits. People evaluating it by subtraction against their dreams and expectations are kind of missing the point.

If you had never heard of this game or had any expectation for it, and just picked it up because it was an open world Deus Ex kind of game, you'd easily score it a 9/10. It's only because it got hyped up for 8 years that you're complaining you can't use the pool tables or whatever.

Dude stop. You can't blame people for having certain expectations when CDPR themselves set those expectations. They kept calling Cyberpunk an Open World RPG, until it wasn't, and they even changed it's description from RPG to Action-Adventure. There are lists out there of all the things the devs said would be in the game, that wasn't. It's not our fault that we were told for years we were going to be served a Ribeye Steak, and then got ground beef and ketchup instead. It's cool if YOU think the game is great, because your opinion is all that matters in the end. But you can bury your head in the sand and pretend people don't have legitimate reasons to be disappointed in the game outside of it's bugs, or you can take the time to read all the constructive and in depth criticisms so many people out there have already put together.

Boneless

It will need a lot more than 5 I think? Some things like cops spawning in is more than just a bugfix and more about mechanics.

SF Kosmo

Dude stop. You can't blame people for having certain expectations when CDPR themselves set those expectations. They kept calling Cyberpunk an Open World RPG, until it wasn't, and they even changed it's description from RPG to Action-Adventure. There are lists out there of all the things the devs said would be in the game, that wasn't. It's not our fault that we were told for years we were going to be served a Ribeye Steak, and then got ground beef and ketchup instead. It's cool if YOU think the game is great, because your opinion is all that matters in the end. But you can bury your head in the sand and pretend people don't have legitimate reasons to be disappointed in the game outside of it's bugs, or you can take the time to read all the constructive and in depth criticisms so many people out there have already put together.
TBH, I think they'd have been better off leaving its billing as an RPG, but that was 100% marketing and not because they changed the design. It isn't feature bare compared to, say, The Witcher 3 or Fallout 3, which we mostly all agree are good games. So what if it doesn't incorporate every feature from GTA and Yakuza and Divinity on top of all that? No one ever promised you it would.

I am not saying the game is "ground beef and not steak," I think it's an extraordinary game, one that combines immersive sims and an incredible open world in a way that has never been done before. And if you look at everything they showed from the game, this does all that. They never talked about mini-games and all of this stuff that wasn't there, that's all people hyping themselves up.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
You know what is interesting about the original post where the person was saying 4-6 months?

On the Conference Call they had not long ago due to all the back lash and issues, the team mentioned several times the following:

There will be another patch within the next 7 days..then the team is taking a much needed holiday break.

There will be a big patch in January

There will be a big patch in February

So if we back to that original article in the OP, which was done in October it seems to me that based on that timing that the patch that lands sometime in February, would be right around the 4 months that they person states. Does anyone else kind of think that these things and the the stuff they said on the conference call are kind of lining up. Like they knew the issues, they knew how long it might take to fix them? Just seemed to stand out to me a bit.
CDPR definitively knew the issues.
Jason got his info from own CDPR's employees.... he have access to emails sent only internally.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Impossible ,people here says it's perfect.
I saw a guy saying that if the game crashes on PC is due the dude shit PC because he played it on PC and never saw a crash lol
I mean the dude PC never crashed with a game until Cyberpunk 2077 but his PC is the issue.

Last edited:

cebri.one

I saw a guy saying that if the game crashes on PC is due the dude shit PC because he played it on PC and never saw a crash lol
I mean the dude PC never crashed with a game until Cyberpunk 2077 but his PC is the issue.

I saw someone here saying that if you say it's bad it's because you are a PS fanboy and only dislikes it because they added quality mode to XB.

BTW, I like the game. But the expectations are no close to being met.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

I will say I have 27 hours on the PC version and while I have encountered bugs, I have had not one crash or lock up or anything that forced me to exit the game, so there's probably truth to the fact that it might be something specific to his PC.

Probably more likely drivers or whatever than "shit PC," though.

Hawk269

I will say I have 27 hours on the PC version and while I have encountered bugs, I have had not one crash or lock up or anything that forced me to exit the game, so there's probably truth to the fact that it might be something specific to his PC.

Same on PS5. There are rampant reports of it crashing almost hourly on the PS5....I have about 15 hours on the PS5 version of the game and have had zero crashes. Bugs sure. glitches you bet your ass..but zero crashes. The PS5's are basically all the same, so I am sure there is something that is triggering the crashes...it not like a PC where almost every part can be different.

ethomaz

Banned

The guy installed a new Windows with fresh drivers just to play Cyberpunk 2077.
I mean no other game crashed before...
BTW there are tons of relates on internet (YouTube, Reddit, Twitter, etc) with the game crashing on PC.

You know there zillions of PC hardware combinations in the market... you probably have one that works or maybe did not triggered the crash ingame (maybe it is a specific thing you do in the game I don't know).

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

The guy installed a new Windows with fresh drivers just to play Cyberpunk 2077.
I mean no other game crashed before...
BTW there are tons of relates on internet (YouTube, Reddit, Twitter, etc) with the game crashing on PC.

You know there zillions of PC hardware combinations in the market... you probably have one that works or maybe did not triggered the crash ingame.
I'm not blaming him or saying "just needs to update the drivers," I'm saying there is probably an issue with his particular combination of hardware/software because the game is rock stable for me.

ethomaz

Banned
I'm not blaming him or saying "just needs to update the drivers," I'm saying there is probably an issue with his particular combination of hardware/software because the game is rock stable for me.
Or the game is really rushed and crash in a lot of PCs?

I mean google "Cyberpunk 2077 has flatlining" (the infamous meme created by PC crashes).

byjrz4ec4x461.jpg

Last edited:

Hawk269

The bugs are just weird. We have 2 Series X in our house. I can load up the same save on each one and have a different bug. For example, my latest bug is that when I look in the mirror, my character shows up nude on my Series X. On my wife's, he shows up completely clothed. This is the same save file, same character, same everything.

ethomaz

Banned
The bugs are just weird. We have 2 Series X in our house. I can load up the same save on each one and have a different bug. For example, my latest bug is that when I look in the mirror, my character shows up nude on my Series X. On my wife's, he shows up completely clothed. This is the same save file, same character, same everything.
Your Series X is probably shit because it doesn't happen in your wife's Series X :p
That is what PC players says.

Nezzeroth

What lies did he spread?

EA, Activision and Ubisoft have never released a game in this state by the way.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

They've had 8 years to iron all this out, its not exactly a game spanning multiple discs, did they even have a Q&A department, its like the staff must have strolled into the office, and thought hey we got 3-5 years on this project whats the hurry..I just don't get it.....same with Metal Gear 5, how big was the gap between 4 and 5, and what exactly did they do in that time period....

Madflavor

They've had 8 years to iron all this out, its not exactly a game spanning multiple discs, did they even have a Q&A department, its like the staff must have strolled into the office, and thought hey we got 3-5 years on this project whats the hurry..I just don't get it.....same with Metal Gear 5, how big was the gap between 4 and 5, and what exactly did they do in that time period....

I don't think the game went into true full production until sometime in 2016 or maybe even 2017. It was in early production for awhile until they shifted their full focus into developing TW3. Once TW3 and all it's DLC was complete, that's when they went full tilt into CP77. Whatever ideas they had for the game in 2012 probably changed by then.

A Metascore of 53 for the PS4 version and I doubt many reviewers will be feeling charitable enough to patch their scores.

Few people play last years game. CDPro had one shot. That's why its better to delay. I simply do not believe they can "relaunch" this title on PS5.

RAIDEN1

I don't think the game went into true full production until sometime in 2016 or maybe even 2017. It was in early production for awhile until they shifted their full focus into developing TW3. Once TW3 and all it's DLC was complete, that's when they went full tilt into CP77. Whatever ideas they had for the game in 2012 probably changed by then.
So in some respects, they bit more than they could chew...

BlackM1st

Banned
CDPR is an eastern European PC company man. Look at piranha bytes Gothic series. Now compare it to The Witcher 3. Then compare Cyberpunk to Deus Ex from square enix. CDPR is a AA dev making AAA games.

RAIDEN1

CDPR is an eastern European PC company man. Look at piranha bytes Gothic series. Now compare it to The Witcher 3. Then compare Cyberpunk to Deus Ex from square enix. CDPR is a AA dev making AAA games.
Talking of which I want to see Deus EX back -4k with all the bells and whistle...

Madflavor

So in some respects, they bit more than they could chew...

Oh for sure. I would not be surprised at all if they fully intended it to be this truly immersive RPG Cyberpunk experience, but at some point they were told there were expectations for a deadline, and that's when they realized they bit off more than they could. They did not have the luxury of time, and that may explain why so much was cut and streamlined. That doesn't excuse the way they kept marketing the game as such in it's later stages, but if I were a betting man in Vegas, I would say this is what probably happened. I think the Development team and the Management were very much at odds with one another, with a serious lack of communication. I don't think that's speculation, it's really obvious.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Few people play last years game. CDPro had one shot. That's why its better to delay. I simply do not believe they can "relaunch" this title on PS5.

I mean No Man's Sky was given second life after a lot of patching and now is seeing good success, so why not?

Oh man, you cannot be serious with this xgen port. Horizon has nothing on Cyberpunk lol

Cyberpunk is also for PS4 and PS5 so what point are you trying to make? The chances of Horizon scoring lower than Cyberpunk are slim, and the chances of it being as buggy or glitchy are even slimmer.

RAIDEN1

Oh for sure. I would not be surprised at all if they fully intended it to be this truly immersive RPG Cyberpunk experience, but at some point they were told there were expectations for a deadline, and that's when they realized they bit off more than they could. They did not have the luxury of time, and that may explain why so much was cut and streamlined. That doesn't excuse the way they kept marketing the game as such in it's later stages, but if I were a betting man in Vegas, I would say this is what probably happened. I think the Development team and the Management were very much at odds with one another, with a serious lack of communication. I don't think that's speculation, it's really obvious.
Hence why I will wait till the end of Feb, to see the state of play with the game...before I jump in, without another Deus EX coming out anytime soon, I see this as the next best thing under the circumstances...the game isn't a complete write-off, sure its not in a great state at the moment...I'm sure though in time it will be reasonable enough to check out..

BlackM1st

Banned
Cyberpunk is also for PS4 and PS5 so what point are you trying to make? The chances of Horizon scoring lower than Cyberpunk are slim, and the chances of it being as buggy or glitchy are even slimmer.
Uhuh. Yeah. 1 small detail. Horizon is made first for PS4 and will be ported to PS5. Cyberpunk was made for PC and made to BARELY run on PS4.

Horizon is a mediocre open world action game with a trash tier characters and nonexistent world interactions, so eh... scores are nothing.

Top Bottom