• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Cyberpunk 2077 needs 4-5 months of work to be polished and ready" Reddit undercover CDPR dev vetted by Jason Schreier

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I rather they delay the game and get it right than fixing a broken game with patches. I can wait!

The fact that so many people in this thread believe some random shitpost on reddit is really concerning. I thought only boomers Gen Z believe in everything they read on the internet
CrRqj6o.jpg

Fixed that for you.

I rather they delay the game and get it right than fixing a broken game with patches. I can wait!
Delay the game for yourself then. I think every reasonable person was expecting a long cycle of patching after release. It's a shame but with such a large scale game comes a lot of fine tuning that can't reasonably be justified by massive delays. I fully believe the game will be enjoyable from start to finish with lots of small bugs and maybe a couple of rare game breaking bugs. If you aren't okay with that, don't buy the game until you feel comfortable. It's okay. The world will be fine without you playing cyberpunk.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Delay the game for yourself then. I think every reasonable person was expecting a long cycle of patching after release. It's a shame but with such a large scale game comes a lot of fine tuning that can't reasonably be justified by massive delays. I fully believe the game will be enjoyable from start to finish with lots of small bugs and maybe a couple of rare game breaking bugs. If you aren't okay with that, don't buy the game until you feel comfortable. It's okay. The world will be fine without you playing cyberpunk.
I wish there was a thumbs down award. Never ever support a broken product. Just be patient and let the game released finished. Rockstar takes many years to release their games but always turns out worth it in the end. The same with Nintendo. You need to just wait until the game is finished!

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Anyone here who knows a lot about development and releases give the odds they think it actually comes out on the 10th?

Has a game ever gone gold and gotten delayed multiple times before?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No doubt they are delaying the game to time it with the next gen patches. In which game sites will base their review scores on PS5/SeX.

All year they had been saying the game will launch and next gen patches will come later, but the realized the current gen games probably look and run crap, so they don't want to be bombed with current gen 7/10s which everyone will remember.

That would be a very fiscally retarted thing to do. Only a small handful of people will even have next Gen machines. Did you not see the launches where asshole bot scalpers took the pre-orders before humans had even a chance? I was there for both consoles pre-order release and both were sold the f out immediately. Why would they not sell to a 160million player base on ps4/xbone?
This!!! Don't forget the fact that delays are inevitable especially for online retail pre-orders..Not everybody is getting a next gen console as launch.

No doubt they are delaying the game to time it with the next gen patches. In which game sites will base their review scores on PS5/SeX.

All year they had been saying the game will launch and next gen patches will come later, but the realized the current gen games probably look and run crap, so they don't want to be bombed with current gen 7/10s which everyone will remember.
I highly doubt that since it would mean potentially losing more sales and dealing with an even bigger PR nightmare...

The pure concentrated entitlement that oozes from this reply is astounding.

I know they won't do it because there is too much money to be lost but in a perfect world they'd just move all development over to next gen and PC and forget current gen consoles, clearly they are having issues getting the game up to snuff on the old hardware.

Maddux4164

Fuck the idiots saying “delay till summer 2021”

That’s absurd. Don’t buy the damn game and let us day 1 owners enjoy it then. You can purchase it mid 2021 with next gen patches and bug fixes and DLC. That’s fine. That’s perfectly ok.

I’ll pick this up in 4 weeks and I’ll enjoy it more than I did my amazing day one purchase of TW3.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's a polish company. Sure it's badly managed. The game should come out 2 years ago at the peak of its hype

bargeparty

I haven't read through this thread but I remember similar posts prior to Witcher 3 and it turned out to be bullshit.

There was another I recall from the first Watch Dogs, someone posting how the game was a mess and tried to use a screenshot of a funky train track intersection as proof and it was debunked since that's how it actually appears in real life.

Last edited:

vkbest

I mean yeah, but the PS4/Xbone versions are what's holding it back at this point. It doesn't make sense to hold back the finished product just for those versions. Bring out a PC version, bring out the next gen versions, then you can rake in all that capital and continue to work on the old versions.

That would be a stupid move for them, a later released game is perceived for people like old game. They would lose a ton of sales on current gen if the game release before on other platforms. Besides they would need launch money for marketing 2 times.

Sentenza

I haven't read through this thread but I remember similar posts prior to Witcher 3 and it turned out to be bullshit.
Yeah, I remember that.
Two months before release:
“The entire production is a mess. The CEO is despotic and wants to enforce on everyone his artistic vision forcing people to rework stuff.
The company is promoting in marketing a product that simply doesn’t exist in reality”.

Turned out to be one of the rare four-five games in an entire decade that overdeliver on most of their promises.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
no not really. game has bugs but what launch release doesn't? were people saying Fallout 76 was unfinished? lol nope.

anyone who says "the game is 70% done" is a hyperbolic moron.

game has bugs but that's about it. it's perfectly playable on anything not last gen.
The OP doesn't say the game is 70% complete, it says the game is great, but needed a few more months of polish. It says the graphics are great and it will get good reviews (on PC), but probably should have been pushed to March or April.

That seems like a pretty damn accurate assessment.

Madflavor

Man, this turned out to be exactly right, didn't it?

Yes and no. He's right in the sense it needed another 4-5 months in the oven to come out mostly bug free. He was completely wrong on the game being well received and a great game. People have had the game for a week now, and it's problems are very well known by this point.

Ugh.

Should've cancelled my pre-order tbh, but my wife is enjoying it on PS4 Pro and I wanted to support CDPR.

Gonna wait for the "next-gen" patch; whenever that is.

xiseerht

Yes and no. He's right in the sense it needed another 4-5 months in the oven to come out mostly bug free. He was completely wrong on the game being well received and a great game. People have had the game for a week now, and it's problems are very well known by this point.

Well ,people with a high end PC are saying the game is great

SF Kosmo

Why on Earth did they initially think the game would be ready for a release in April (this year)...?
Because, for all of the prestige they gained from Witcher 3, they're not a very experienced developer. This is the third real AAA game they've ever shipped, and a lot of the managers and execs are people who have been there from the beginning and never worked anywhere else, and the fact is they don't know the industry standard "right way" to do things a lot of the time.

CDPR has always been accused of having kind of bad project management, and getting by on having an incredible talent pool and an inexpensive labor force that allows them to simply brute force their way through a problem; to just throw enough people at it to get shit done.

Their artists and writers and devs are some of the best in the business, but their management sucks and always has. I mean they essentially got nothing done on this game from 2012-2016, just off and on pre-production and a design they eventually threw out. This is not a well-managed company. And their games always come out buggy and a little underbaked and need patches too.

But they've always supported their games well, always been generous with their customers, and always put out good games so they earned a lot of good will. But shipping outright-broken console ports is a bridge too far even for them.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Well ,people with a high end PC are saying the game is great

Some are, but a lot of them are pointing at the problems with the game beyond the bugs and performance issues. The first 2-3 days the bugs were the most well known and obvious problem, and only those who had a decent PC were able to run the game well. After those first few days however, as people spent more time with the game, the actual problems started to arise.

iconmaster

Banned
it's perfectly playable on anything not last gen.

But nigh-unplayable for possibly millions of CDPR customers expecting to play it on the systems they already own and for which versions CDPR was happy to accept full payment. I can't excuse the company on the basis that the customer can solve the problem by buying a new $400 or $500 machine.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
The game was well received and it is indeed great.

Has a tons of issues like he said.

April was the date most are choosing to say the game should be released.

SF Kosmo

It's absolutely a great game, on PC. Initial metacritic reviews released before the controversy show that the game itself is excellent, and most of the negativity is centered on the kind of cut corners a few more months in development could have fixed.

That's not just about bugs. A lot of people are hung up on features in the game that are scaled down or not fully fleshed out. Things like AI for NPCs and ambient cars being basically nil, or the hints at a GTA-style police system that is just not there. These are things that could have been addressed with just a little more development time, and they're not hugely game-breaking but they're clearly the primary source of a lot of the negativity.

The signs were all there. Weeks before launch I tried convincing friends to wait for issues to be ironed out, but they still believed that a day 1 patch would be a magic remedy for most big issues, even on PC. But nope.

Roufianos

no not really. game has bugs but what launch release doesn't? were people saying Fallout 76 was unfinished? lol nope.

anyone who says "the game is 70% done" is a hyperbolic moron.

game has bugs but that's about it. it's perfectly playable on anything not last gen.

Problem is, there's only 3 dedicated SKUs available and 2 of them are last gen.

Top Bottom