• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Cyberpunk 2077 needs 4-5 months of work to be polished and ready" Reddit undercover CDPR dev vetted by Jason Schreier

Belmonte

aktwMJo.jpg

More time to save money for a new graphic card!

ReBurn

Gold Member
They went gold, but maybe they really went brass and it's going to take a few months to clean off all of the tarnish.

They should kill the stadia version. That will help.

MiguelItUp

Also LOL at that ".......without doing crunch :D" comment in the image.

No, E V E R Y AAA developer and publisher crunches, especially before cert and shipping. Just as I mentioned before, a AAA developer or publisher is not going to NOT have crunch unless the entire industry changes. It's not simply a management issue, it's the fact that the industry functions in a specific way, and that way is similar across every developer and publisher. It's been that way for 15 years if not longer.

Just I said before, Bluepoint crunched on Demon Souls before shipping, but you didn't hear ANYTHING come from them.

Romulus

Imagine thinking you're going to a get a polished game on current gen consoles at launch. This could be another 3-4 months of patches before its even remotely good. There's probably a bunch of people out there that think "it'll be fine."

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
They should honestly postpone the release date to around March 2021.

There's no point in releasing the game in a poor state.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This isn't terribly alarming, I think it's normal to feel as if a few more months would have done a project good, and he isn't saying the game is bad or in serious trouble.

But it'sa little disappointing coming from a CDPR who -- for maybe the first time in their run -- really shouldn't be facing a great deal of pressure to ship at a given time.

With that said, CDPR is known for putting a lot of work into their post launch patches and updates, far more than most companies, so we can probably expect that there WILL be updated and improvements in the months to come. If you're patient maybe better to wait.

Witcher 1 and 2 had MASSIVE, substantial post launch updates in the "Enhanced Edition" releases, so there's a good chance we might see something similar here.

Aggelos

Eld40LfXEAAbNgP

This reddit post is a few weeks old so their statement still rings true, and given the lack of full confidence from CDPR to hit that December 10th date going off their latest round of teleconference calls: Adam Kiciński said: "We feel — maybe not comfortable, but confident [in the new release date]." Again, not the kind of comment that you want to hear if you're betting on Cyberpunk hitting its new date.

Even Michal Nowakowski, vice president of business development, doesn't seem totally sold on the idea. When asked if the game would definitely launch on the 10th December, he replied: "That's more or less what I'm saying, I guess — yes."

At least there are plenty great games dropping prior to Cyberpunk 2077 so we can try and cast our attention away from the continual disappointing delays this game is receiving.

Think on the bright side, game will be much better with the more polishing time it gets, and other games can shine which may had been overlooked prior to this recent delay.

o8jwp39lrp551.jpg

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Guys, I'd like to congratulate the great work of the CDPR Art Department for Cyberpunk 2077 (got the Artbook). Truly nice work!
As for the game itself, for me, it's a write-off as a 2020 release. See you again in 2021 everyone! Ciao!

Alienware

Isn't he a former developer too?
Meaning he's no longer working for CDPR.

I mean, I believe the guy, but it's one opinion, probably from someone way down the chain of command who hasn't the whole project in his scope.

Whatever the case, I'm pretty sure that the management cares about the game way more than us, if they need to delay it to reach their (probably out of the world high) standard, then they will.

tryDEATH

If there is a year for game devs to get a pass for delaying a game it is this year and every studio should take full advantage of that no matter if needed or not. I seriously don't know what they don't just delay it indefinitely for another 4 to 6 months and ship the game with next gen patches as well. Who cares that people will get trigger at the end of teh day everyone scretching will still end up buying it no matter what as it will be masterpiece.

I am getting tired of studios being afraid of the backlash instead of just telling gamers to stfu and wait for the game, because shit happens.

FireFly

Maybe I am desensitised, but to me it seems perfectly normal for a game this size and scope to be "done" several months after release. I mean even The Witcher 2 shipped without a tutorial and with a broken difficulty curve.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Yeah I’m just gonna wait until I can put together an AMD-based new rig altogether maybe Q2 2021, assuming they even have it out by then.

install base is too big and so many people would be pissed off. how many PS5s and Xbox XSX and XSS will be in homes on December 14th? Less than 5m? Not gonna happen sadly.

I mean yeah, but the PS4/Xbone versions are what's holding it back at this point. It doesn't make sense to hold back the finished product just for those versions. Bring out a PC version, bring out the next gen versions, then you can rake in all that capital and continue to work on the old versions.

MrS

Banned
I mean yeah, but the PS4/Xbone versions are what's holding it back at this point. It doesn't make sense to hold back the finished product just for those versions. Bring out a PC version, bring out the next gen versions, then you can rake in all that capital and continue to work on the old versions.
I'd be all for it and I hope it happens for sure. Just being pragmatic, I don't think they're gonna want the story out there to be spoiled and stuff.

HeadsUp7Up

After being a manager for more than a few years it's really easy to look at things from the sidelines and think people made a ton of bad decisions and "all" they had to do was this or that and things would have sailed so much more smoothly, without crunch, blah blah blah. Often times people don't realize how many hard decisions are made daily that have unforeseen consequences. They also don't know about all activity behind the scenes that may be driving certain decisions or literally having to pick the lesser of two evils and it being a lose-lose situation. I always thought I knew more than my superiors until I became one and realized that it's not as easy as it may appear to be on the surface.

Plus I couldn't imagine trying to develop a game in the middle of a pandemic. It's already hard enough to do anything with a large group of people under normal circumstances let alone stopping down for a few weeks and getting everyone up to speed working remotely.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
CDPR releases the game in an unoptimized state, people will hate them for it and call them incompetent or lazy devs and resent all of the post-release patches.

CDPR makes the unfortunate decision to delay the game even further to ensure that it plays smoothly with minimal bugs and issues across multiple platforms, people get upset and call them incompetent devs and liars.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I'm not saying they're immune from criticism, but it's perplexing to see some people treat them with the same vitriol like an EA or Activision Blizzard or Bethesda Games Studios, who fucked over their consumers on multiple occasions. CDPR can just as easily say fuck you, release the game in a buggy & unpolished state, and gladly take your money just like those aforementioned companies tend to do.

Ideally, I would've prioritized optimizing the game for PC/PS5/XBSX release, then port it to PS4/XB1/Stadia after the fact.
Realistically, that wouldn't make the most financial sense, especially for a high budget AAA title like CP2077 and the current gen install base being as large as it is.
That's the reality they're dealing with, then you add Covid restrictions into the mix...

After being a manager for more than a few years it's really easy to look at things from the sidelines and think people made a ton of bad decisions and "all" they had to do was this or that and things would have sailed so much more smoothly, without crunch, blah blah blah. Often times people don't realize how many hard decisions are made daily that have unforeseen consequences. They also don't know about all activity behind the scenes that may be driving certain decisions or literally having to pick the lesser of two evils and it being a lose-lose situation. I always thought I knew more than my superiors until I became one and realized that it's not as easy as it may appear to be on the surface.

I agree. Shit happens, man. Developers often need to adapt to any unforeseen issues during the course production all the way up to release, and in many cases post-release.
Then again, they did make the decision to announce this game all the way back in 2012, even before current gen consoles launched lol.
So it could just as easily be mismanagement on their part, but it's purely speculative at this point.

Seems like CDPR's biggest mistake was being too transparent about the game's development. Should've held off on that marketing push, I suppose.

Being consumer minded can make some people really apathetic to the creative process. It is what it is.

Last edited:

Kaleinc

Banned
I am getting tired of studios being afraid of the backlash instead of just telling gamers to stfu and wait for the game, because shit happens.
I'll let amazon delivery dude know how patient you are and tell him he can use that 3070 you ordered for 10 years and then casually drop in ur chimney for Christmas 2030.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus Christ, that's a bunch of nothing. Even if true, it's just a guy who is really close to the game who has a vision in his mind of just how much better it could be with 4 ~ 5 months more work. Hello, every game developer in the history of game development. What a riveting statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
CP 2077 might be the most complex game ever created and people are expecting bug free on day 1.

Ultimately it's CDPR's fault for hyping the game too early. If they started the hype closer to the time when they knew the game would be polished, things would be better.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
I might just ignore the game for a few months, despite releasing this year. The Witcher 3 was also a buggy mess to be honest. I'm in no hurry.

It was pretty fucked up though, at least on consoles, hell the character movement was trash for about a month until they released a patch. Crashes galore, shit not working right, bugcity. The game was a fucking mess.
I had a weird abnormal bug where the camera was lagging when I turned to look. It was hard to play and deal with so I just stopped playing until they patched it months later.

I might just ignore the game for a few months, despite releasing this year. The Witcher 3 was also a buggy mess to be honest. I'm in no hurry.
The devs should be in no hurry and take their time to finish the game. There shouldn't be any pressure to kill themselves to deliver a game that has issues, be it with bugs or general level of polish.

Sure Covid could be reason for the game suffering development setbacks but the devs should know when they can finish the game and set expectations beyond that timeframe to cover themselves in case the process gets interrupted again for some reason.

We are not going to see this game released come December. Of that I am 100% sure. This is a 2021 game.

jaysius

Banned
Don't care. Launch hype is a blight in the game industry anyway, just get the thing a few months after release

It predates a very certain kind of gamer, and as we've seen they're far from stable from these death threats the people have sent. It's abusive and needs to stop.

jaysius

Banned
I liked your comment. Just sharing my experience because it was super frustrating but I knew the game was good and the story was engaging. Shame I had to wait for a while for it to be playable. PS4 btw

I was on PS4 also, the bog area was the worse overall, unplayable til I think I got a PS4 Pro, even the pro patch was late.

DavidGzz

With enough crunch I can make about 5 months of gains in one month. They'll be fine.

On a serious note, maybe that's when ill finally play this. By April after a big patch.

Top Bottom