• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 "is shorter’ than Witcher 3, ‘but more replayable"

Stuart360

I agree with the general sentiment that shorter isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Still, having The Witcher 3 as reference, "shorter" could really mean anything between 1 and 90 hours.
Well if they are actually mentioning it, its certainly something that is going to be noticeable, and thats a bit of a worry for me.

Miles708

Well if they are actually mentioning it, its certainly something that is going to be noticeable, and thats a bit of a worry for me.

True.
But also, they were worried about The Witcher 3 not having enough content too (if I remember correctly from a Noclip Youtube documentary).
Even if they cut the game by half, we're talking about a 50-60hr thing. With this being a pretty reasonable "worst-case" scenario, I honestly wouldn't worry much about it.

Kadayi

Banned
Good. As I get older I tend to favor shorter games, and TW3 was a bit too long.

Agreed. Life gets busy and a game that takes 120+ hours to finish can become a bit of a chore after a while went you're only able to fit in playtime sporadically.

Kadayi

Banned
But then you just stick to the main story and ignore side content. Its ALWAYS better to have the content there, than not.

UnsungAdmirableChickadee-size_restricted.gif

Ignore side content? Not on my watch dog. You want to know how many NPC quest givers were seeing when I play?

source.gif

See I'm in the mould of Frank from Once Upon a Time in the West: -.

It might not bother you never following up on that lone NPC stood over there in the bar, but for me....I've gotta find out what they're all about., or that shits gonna nag at me.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Solid post. Unfortunately I'm not 15 anymore, can't dump hundreds of hours into a single game with a job, a relationship, friends and animals to take care of.

Gimme a 20-30 hour RPG over some 60+++ hour long one any day.

^^

Agreed, fatigue set in around 70 hours for me and I started playing other games.
What kind of excuses is? Not 15 anymore?

So you cant endure great long journey in rpg game..because of work, relationship, animals etc?

Seriously that your excuses? Work, relationship, animals etc?

A 20 hours rpg game is short as fuck

Just pack it up and play call of duty game

Fatigue start at 70 hours and i started playing other game if the game last longer than that?

Last edited:

Madonis

I think this is a good thing, as long as there can be massive differences between playthroughs during the main story and also exclusive side quests that you can't see in only one go.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
The Witcher III took me around 300 hours and I played it through twice. Second time so I could have my game save file for the two expansions. However, the Witcher III is the ONLY game that I have replayed this generation out of 95 games. I simply don't replay games because I see it as a total and complete waste of my time because I know everything already. Having a few different "paths" or "scenarios" isn't going to change that for me. Would prefer Cyberpunk 2077 to be over 50 hours with an excellent main story quest and great side quests as opposed to less but you have to replay the game or quests in order to see all the alternate outcomes. Not into that at all.

What was the logical end point for Isolation? I don't disagree with it being a bit too long, but Im curious what you feel would have been logical?

Personal opinion of course, but for me it was:

When you spaced the xenomorph by detaching the section of the space station, jumping into the space suit, and getting back to safety. By that point you had been given the flamethrower and it was established that the creature had a personal vendetta against Ripley. I would've been happy for the game to have wound down at that point.

junguler

Banned
a game being to long never is an issue for me and i always have time to play a good game to completion. i don't have a youtube channel to feel obligated to have many how to videos in the launch window or a twitch channel to marathon the whole game on there. if a good game takes a month of playing 2-3 hours a day so be it, i'm not in a rush to finish it.

Perrott

Gold Member
Stopped playing after just 30 hours ? For one of the greatest game this generation?

Whats wrong with gamers these days?

short attention span or something? ADHD? Maybe pew pew game like call of duty or something like that?

Anyway i thought with upcoming dlc the game will last much longer
The gameplay mechanics and mission design were garbage, which affects user engagement in the long term.

That's what's wrong with your greatest game of this generation.

Airbus Jr

Banned
The gameplay mechanics and mission design were garbage, which affects user engagement in the long term.

That's what's wrong with your
greatest game of this generation.

Am i reading this right?

Witcher 3 which has some of the best quest and mechanics..and youre calling it garbage?....

Uh....you do your thing buddy...

Last edited:

Bkdk

So this could end up just being a slightly longer outer worlds with better graphics and no mod support. I still am pretty hyped about this and have high expectations about their multi path questing, but I think now I’m looking forward to starfield more. Just enjoy large open world exploration playground more.

So this could end up just being a slightly longer outer worlds with better graphics and no mod support.

Ouchie. I thought Outer Worlds was gonna be a sleeper hit and overhyped a 7-point-something out of 10 game in my mind. I can't imagine our polish friends spending all this time and money on Cyberpunk to produce something comparable. But I was already wrong about outer worlds so what the hell do I know?

Anyway, quality over quantity - until you nail quality, and then where in the actual fuck is my quantity at bitch

Tahj

I've played W3's Wild Hunt campaign 5 times now, I believe,, 3 of those including the expansions, & there's a couple parts I felt were done meh compared to the rest - some of the Novigrad stuff & third act portions of WH poorly paced/stretched. As for Cyberpunk, from everything I've seen in the demos, articles, etc., I expected a bit shorter main campaign overall, but with more diversity in the replay. Loved many of W3's side quests, & really looking forward to what CDPR has cooked up. WRT game length, I tend to take forever, so if the average ends up being 30-35hrs for the main stuff, I expect it'll take me 60 XD

Codswallop_

Neophyte
With the dlc Witcher 3 took me over 150 hours. Wasn't expecting that, but at least 30 would be nice. Not to mention this will surely have dlc.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I'm kinda pissed and honestly planning on cancelling the preorder, I got a stricht rule, 1 hour = 1 euro.

So never mind the quality feel the width? You presumably played The Witcher games right? did any of them feel underserved? Shorter than TW3 doesn't mean a 20-hour game.

I'm fine with a shorter experience. Sometimes games drag on far too long. For example I'm half done Kingdomcome deliverance and I looked at the walkthrough and Ugh.... so far to go.

Kenpachii

Things they need to do to make it interesting

1) co-op with other players through internet and make leveling flexible so u can always jump in with other people.
2) way less story focused more gameplay focused, witcher 3 was a bore fest because of it and it made me quit because of it
3) faster pacing of content that actually matters, hunting rats in the basement or other filler content can just gtfo.
4) Combat that actually feels rewarding and well done, witcher 3 was awful at it. Worst combat i ever experienced
5) Visual leap forwards with focus on PC.
6) Shorter game and lower price, sorry 200 hours RPG is to long and 59,99 with prices dropping 2 months later to half isn't remotely interesting to me, 29,99 woul be cool. They can release expansions for that. otherwise 39,99 with expansion pass in it that contains all content.

-MD-

What kind of excuses is? Not 15 anymore?

So you cant endure great long journey in rpg game..because of work, relationship, animals etc?

Seriously that your excuses? Work, relationship, animals etc?

A 20 hours rpg game is short as fuck

Just pack it up and play call of duty game

Fatigue start at 70 hours and i started playing other game if the game last longer than that?

It's really fun being able to enjoy more than one genre of video game. I like competitive games, games where mechanics are the priority. I'm no Call of Duty fan but don't try and use something like that as some sort of insult just because you can't keep up with people online. You're allowed to sit alone in your room and fill XP bars all you want.

Am i reading this right?

Witcher 3 which has some of the best quest and mechanics..and youre calling it garbage?....

Uh....you do your thing buddy...

The main criticism thrown at the Witcher series is the gameplay mechanics, to deny this is delusional.

Last edited:

thief183

So never mind the quality feel the width? You presumably played The Witcher games right? did any of them feel underserved? Shorter than TW3 doesn't mean a 20-hour game.
Shorter game doesn't mean a better quality game too. I work for my money and when I spend them I want value back.

I played all the witcher games ofc, imagine that I'm a huge fan of Vader that made the song for the intro of witcher, (the sword of the witcher, is the title) and I'm also a huge fan of cdpr in general, but when I preordered I've been promesed a bigger game than the witcher 3, I decided to support them (I never preordered before) and now it came out as bullshit.

Maybe the game is awesome, bit if it is less than 70hours I wouldn't even spend time in an rpg. Action or story driven games are differenti stories, I'm referring to rpg in particular.

Sorry for the english but I'm on mobile and it keeps reformatting my sentences....

Gargus

Banned
Good.

I liked witchery 3 but God damn by the time I was in the last 4th of the game I didn't give a shit. I just wanted to blow through it and be done with it. I left a lot undone because I was just tired of it and wanted to finish it.

Malachai

Gold Member
Even though I enjoyed the game immensely the story felt like it was never going to end so I'm fine with Cyberpunk being shorter as long as the side missions are up to the quality of Witcher 3's.

thief183

That's not what I said. Could be GOTY 2020 but if it is under 70 hours you'll pass?

giphy.gif
Unless I'll pay it less :)

Btw for an rpg less than 70 hours is a pass for me. Rpgs need time to evolve and to try to make you care for its character. I don't have a hurge to finish a game so I like to take my time with it and fully immerse myself in the lore. It is like playing D&D, I don't see the point on investing time in something that ends in 2/3 sessions but if it is a story of 2/3 years you can count me in.

If the game is an action game like dunno Gears or DMC then I agree.

Top Bottom