• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 "is shorter’ than Witcher 3, ‘but more replayable"

TeamGhobad

Banned
Game length aggregation site How Long to Beat measures Witcher 3’s main campaign as taking an average of 51 hours to complete.

Witcher 3’s side quest system was reportedly described as “a single line, with a bunch of branches sticking out of it,” whereas in comparison CDPR said Cyberpunk 2077’s side missions will often evolve into further side quests which in turn impact other quests, including the main story.

sure no bother but as long as its not 12hours. i want at least 35hours here.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Don't mind at all just means less filler. Hoping for 25 hours with no filler that for the main story that would be ideal for me. After that it seems developers toss in the filer left and right to up the play time for the hardcore. Then have meaningful side quests to fill out the world world for the fans.

Sound good. I get fed up with games when they go on for too long, especially if there was a logical end point that was breezed past (looks at Alien: Isolation and Days Gone).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Sound good. I get fed up with games when they go on for too long, especially if there was a logical end point that was breezed past (looks at Alien: Isolation and Days Gone).
What was the logical end point for Isolation? I don't disagree with it being a bit too long, but Im curious what you feel would have been logical?

GreyHorace

Fine by me. I love The Witcher 3 but man was it way too long at times. But in fairness a lot of the side content didn't feel like padding. *cough* Dragon Age Inquisition *cough*

I'd like Cyberpunk to be at least 50-60 hours in length.

johntown

Banned
The longer the better for me! I enjoy RPG's that I can spends hours upon hours in just exploring every inch of the world and being rewarded for it. CDPR typically has solid side quests too so I am hoping with side quests to at least get 100 hours out of the game.

Belmonte

Good.

The less hours a RPG has, easier is for it to have choices and consequences and character build that actually matters. Obviously a middle term between length and reactivity is the best approach but I think too many RPGs these days are going for length above all.

Last edited:

klosos

51 Hours for vanilla Witcher 3 ? i done 130 hours on my first run of Witcher 3.i am someone who likes to do everything then move on. so i know i will be getting my moneys worth out of this.

Anyway Cyberpunk 2077 is my most anticipated game of 2020 i cant wait for it, i have full confidence in CD Projekt RED

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I had a very hard time believing it would ever match the length of Witcher 3 in terms of content. This is not a bad things as long as it's not drastically shorter.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I like really long games if they offer compelling content and great meaningful side quests. W3 was really long but it had a LOT of boring filler content and meningless side quests whereas this sounds like the side quests will be far more interesting. Hopefully I can still stretch CP2077 iout to 100+ hours since I explore every inch of a game if I'm loving it.

I don't mind it as long as it's a good 30-40 hours. These long, open world games get very tedious and time-consuming. I don't mind a better crafted narrative that uses a short time window to make it more focused.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Good to hear that, stopped playing W3 after 30h because the combat wasn't fun no more.

Stopped playing after just 30 hours ? For one of the greatest game this generation?

Whats wrong with gamers these days?

short attention span or something? ADHD? Maybe pew pew game like call of duty or something like that?

Anyway i thought with upcoming dlc the game will last much longer

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Witcher 3 was just too long, it was the only one in the trilogy I didn't finish.
tenor.gif

Kupfer

Whats wrong with gamers these days?

short attention span or something? ADHD? Maybe pew pew game like call of duty or something like that?

No, Monsterkillah,
it just got boring for me. Luckily, not everybody has to have the same opinion on "the greatest games" of it's generation.
FYI, on the one hand I stopped playing CoD MW 2019 after 1 hour because it felt like a boring shooter, on the other hand I have 65h in Death Stranding, a boring walking simulator.

"WHaTs WrOnG wItH gAmErS tHeSe DaYs"...

Last edited:
1 dollar for 1 hour gameplay ... no more no less

(jk)

T'will always be worth investing time and money in CDPR games.

But Shorter Length = more playthroughs with different builds. And that's fine with me

It will still take me the 'recommended length x 2' as I'm sure there will be plenty of time spent staring at sunsets and the citizens with their pottering / faffing / fighting / illegal dealings / larking about.

Airbus Jr

Banned
No, Monsterkillah,
it just got boring for me. Luckily, not everybody has to have the same opinion on "the greatest games" of it's generation.
FYI, on the one hand I stopped playing CoD MW 2019 after 1 hour because it felt like a boring shooter, on the other hand I have 65h in Death Stranding, a boring walking simulator.

"WHaTs WrOnG wItH gAmErS tHeSe DaYs"...

I honestly have no idea on how some people will deliberatly wasted the opportunity to experience one of the greatest game of mankind history

But you do you brother, do your thing

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
"Shorter" goes with "more replayable" because in my book I don't want to replay a really long game. Instead, I want to explore as much of the content I can on one playthrough. Smart move from CDPR.

Kupfer

I honestly have no idea on how some people will deliberatly wasted the opportunity to experience one of the greatest game of mankind history

But I experienced it, for 30 whole hours. I liked the world, I liked the characters, I kind of liked the story, but somehow it got boring. I had some good hours with the game, I just didn't want to play it any longer. So if Cyberpunk is shorter and more linear I'm in for it!

But I experienced it, for 30 whole hours. I liked the world, I liked the characters, I kind of liked the story, but somehow it got boring. I had some good hours with the game, I just didn't want to play it any longer. So if Cyberpunk is shorter and more linear I'm in for it!

I'm with this guy. I played the Witcher 3 for a couple of hours, realised it was going to be a chore that would get boring after 10 hours or so and I uninstalled it.

I got about 20 hours in to Fallout 4 before canning that, but after the first 3 hours I was really forcing myself to play.

Some games B boring.

June

It's not evn the greatest game of its own franchise

Witcher 2 was miles better and it's length and lack of bloat was a big part of why

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I have completely pulled away from the "every game needs to be long" mentality. I'm appreciating shorter games more and more as time goes on. The formulas of some games just don't justify their playtimes. The appeal wears off before the story can even end.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
As much as I love The Witcher 3 I have to admit it was too long. I've fully completed the game only once even though I've replayed large parts of it several times. If Cyberpunk will offer 30-40 hours for a standard playthrough (all main quests + bigger side quests) then it's still going to be a solid number and it won't feel it ended too soon like the last Deus Ex.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

20-30 hours is fine for story. It's just as good if there's multiple ways to get through the story. Witcher is great, but it was a trog to get through after the 60 hour mark.

-MD-

Solid post. Unfortunately I'm not 15 anymore, can't dump hundreds of hours into a single game with a job, a relationship, friends and animals to take care of.

Gimme a 20-30 hour RPG over some 60+++ hour long one any day.

20-30 hours is fine for story. It's just as good if there's multiple ways to get through the story. Witcher is great, but it was a trog to get through after the 60 hour mark.

^^

Agreed, fatigue set in around 70 hours for me and I started playing other games.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Not saying that being shorter than Witcher 3 bothers me. What bothers me its how much short and what kind of replayability are we talking about.

Stuart360

What was the logical end point for Isolation? I don't disagree with it being a bit too long, but Im curious what you feel would have been logical?
I very much take the line of 'the longer the better', but Isolation did go on too long imo. There were 2 or 3 parts where i thought 'this is the end', but it just kept on going.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
That's cool with me. Witcher 3, for how great it was, I found that once I started smelling the end of the game I just rushed to finish it. In a way I wish I just stopped playing until my appetite for the game came back, but just looking at the map, it's kinda ridiculous all the markers on there. I just didn't want to explore it all. Reminded me of Assassin's Creed Unity. I just looked at the map...and was like... :messenger_unamused:

mortal

Gold Member
This game is going to have a huge open world, optional story threads, customizable character builds, single player DLC, and even an entire multiplayer component.
Let's be reasonable here, the game being shorter than TW3 isn't really that big of a deal. CP 2077 is going to have huge replay value.

Longer doesn't alway equate to something positive imo. A game with better pacing is much preferred than a game being arbitrarily longer just for hell of it.

Reactions: Fuz

Banned
good.

RPGs always boast with their playtime, but in a 200h RPG, usually at least half of that is filler or absolutely braindead activities.

this is why my favourite RPG to this date is The Last Story, almost no filler, no grinding, a very fun fighting system and engaging through and through.

pack it with interesting gameplay, interesting quests and well designed enviroments... that's how a good RPG should be, not a slog that drags on forever and sends you to one fetch quest after the other

Last edited:

Miles708

I agree with the general sentiment that shorter isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Still, having The Witcher 3 as reference, "shorter" could really mean anything between 1 and 90 hours.

Top Bottom