• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Is Being Flooded With Very Positive Reviews On Steam

GymWolf

So much hyperbole about this game. It's either perfect or the worst game in history while frankly both are way off mark.

I've completed it twice on PC, once in the first few weeks following release and it was no worse bugs wise than a good percentage of games are these days. Some games are perfect polished gems and this for sure wasn't but to argue it was unplayable is simply wrong.

The big issues for me (outside of hiding the last gen versions which was disgusting) were the marketing selling something that didn't exist and the half arsed approach to the open world making it an easy target for ridicule.

The fact there is no police or civilian AI is apparent to anyone that has gone on a rampage and the sandbox doesn't even compare to early open world games nevermind GTA5 and RDR2. To me it would have been better if they just locked the player out from doing that - everyone is filled with microchips so it would have been easy to justify no civilian casualties in game.

I loved the story (even if it was mostly super linear which again the marketing suggested wasn't the case) and think it would have been better as a game just set in an open world rather than a half arsed RPG sandbox affair.

Look at all the big PS4 open world games and how shallow and limited they are (not picking on PS4 other than these were huge, well reviewed games and I can't think of any XB1 open world exclusives).

Spiderman has a linear story and no clip friendly NPCs with no apparent AI.

Days Gone and Horizon have linear stories and lock your weapons anywhere there are friendly NPCs and the NPC are either rooted to the ground or move in a small loop so literally need no AI.

Ghost of Tshusima has a frustratingly linear story that ignores how you actually play the game and again has no clip friendly NPCs that are mostly rooted to the ground so no need to program AI.

I know there was a bit of very minor backlash about a couple of the above games and how the worlds felt fake (especially Days Gone and Horizon) but nothing like the backlash Cyberpunk got when people realised the game let you do something (attack random NPCs) but didn't actually have functioning AI if you did. Surely someone at CDPR must have foreseen this..

I think Cyberpunk would have been better if they just justified some in game reason you couldn't violently interact with NPCs and then spent more time faking an open world that the player couldn't easily break and focus on crafting a great story. I doubt anyone hated the Witcher 3 (another 'faked' open world for that matter yet still one of the best games last gen) because you couldn't murder civilians.
I'm with you but i think that days gone does a well enough job with his open world, sure no major ncs interactions ala rdr2\watch gods 2, but a lot of dynamic combats between men, infected and animals, a lot of small scripted events, the roaming hordes and a good job contestualizing even the lamest side mission etc. (And i rated that game a 7)

Last edited:
I will never forget how CDPR full on lied to the public about the state of the game, only gave the press a PC portion to review, had a very strict embargo and have now cancelled their earlier promises by delaying the next gen patch and other patches to next year. Even if it DOES turn out to be a good game, the way they abused and exploited the goodwill and trust of players they had built up over the years was nothing short of a disgrace. That will always be weighed into my final opinon of the game when I play it with the next gen patch. Never forget. They don't deserve the posiitive reviews. It just serves to show them and over devs that it's fine to release a broken product and fix it years down the line. Complete day light robbery.

Last edited:
Still laughing at people blaming old hardware for the problems with the game. As if it isn't missing fundamental RPG mechanics. As if it wasn't still buggy as hell, even on next gen consoles. PC people claiming "I had zero issues", sure sure sure. People are still acting like the story was great, because they have to pretend like something about CP2077 was good. (The characters were good, the story is laughably bad).
A year later, and CDPR is still trying to lie their way out of culpability with this game.
Why is the story bad?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
basically the current state of the game.

a1MEXMr.jpg

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
How standards have lowered l guess.

Gamers just accept patch after patch of updates until they get something they expected to buy day 1.

If by magic the user reviews get better over time. Who’d have thought it.

Then you have the company proudly marketing this over twitter.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Why is the story bad?
i've been liking it so far. I'm relatively early on but the cyberpunk themes are well fleshed out, more than i thought they would be.

Its janky, but besides that the game is easily on par with deus ex with the writing and level/mission design, at least as far as i've gone.
Unfortunately got some of its bad parts too, like dumb rpg mechanics or excessive use of textlogs for fleshing out the world around you.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Are you just talking about less bugs or they improved other things?
I started a new game and they added to the main quests. Added to the main quest scenes. And added more side quests. Definitely a lot of tweaking and additions since I okayed through 3 times at launch.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
i've been liking it so far. I'm relatively early on but the cyberpunk themes are well fleshed out, more than i thought they would be.

Its janky, but besides that the game is easily on par with deus ex with the writing and level/mission design, at least as far as i've gone.
Unfortunately got some of its bad parts too, like dumb rpg mechanics or excessive use of textlogs for fleshing out the world around you.
Dumb rpg mechanics? It’s an rpg! And I love that there is so much depth to the character building and character building changes what you can do during quests dramatically .

Like one quest I did yesterday you could either

- go into the warehouse guns blazing if you had the right gear and skills.
- slowly disarm camera, guards and sneak in if you had the right technics
- break open a side door if you have had a body stat of 12
- double jump to an open window on the second floor if you had a double jump leg mod.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I recently started a new playthrough. I noticed they don't really allow you to pick a starting class. Like I went Solo the first time, I was expecting to pick Netrunner this time and...no dice. Did they change it?

Maybe they thought it was unnecessary as you pretty much have freedom with how you build your character.

I did notice the game is running noticably smoother on pc. I'm running a 3080, 5800x All raytracing features turned on medium with DLSS set to performance Haven't seen much slow down and the game seems crisper than I remember. Maybe it's just me, but the game is definitely improved.

Guilty_AI

Dumb rpg mechanics? It’s an rpg! And I love that there is so much depth to the character building and character building changes what you can do during quests dramatically .

Like one quest I did yesterday you could either

- go into the warehouse guns blazing if you had the right gear and skills.
- slowly disarm camera, guards and sneak in if you had the right technics
- break open a side door if you have had a body stat of 12
- double jump to an open window on the second floor if you had a double jump leg mod.
its just that the perks in general are unbalanced. It was a similar problem with Deus Ex too, where you had some implants or skills that were super OP alongside others that were completely useless.

The stuff you're talking about is more related to level design, which does leverage some of the simpler stats you can upgrade, and is indeed pretty fucking amazing (at least has been so far to me).

Last edited:

SliChillax

I don’t know how the game is on consoles but I started playing for the first time yesterday and I couldn’t put it down for like 8 hours. I’m really enjoying it and the game looks spectacular. Maxed out on my 3080ti with dlss it’s also running flawlessly.

GymWolf

I started a new game and they added to the main quests. Added to the main quest scenes. And added more side quests. Definitely a lot of tweaking and additions since I okayed through 3 times at launch.
Can you be more specific?

Did they balanced hacking and improved ia during stealth?!

Last edited:

Flabagast

Can you be more specific?

Did the balanced hacking and improved ia during stealth?!
Yes they did, if I remember correctly they notably nerfed hacking a little and made variations in detection times of the AI depending on the difficuly + some other small tweaks

GymWolf

Yes they did, if I remember correctly they notably nerfed hacking a little and made variations in detection times of the AI depending on the difficuly + some other small tweaks
A little is not enough, hacking was absolutely broken in the vanilla game, even on max difficulty.

But it's a start i guess.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Still laughing at people blaming old hardware for the problems with the game. As if it isn't missing fundamental RPG mechanics. As if it wasn't still buggy as hell, even on next gen consoles. PC people claiming "I had zero issues", sure sure sure. People are still acting like the story was great, because they have to pretend like something about CP2077 was good. (The characters were good, the story is laughably bad).
A year later, and CDPR is still trying to lie their way out of culpability with this game.
I played Cyberpunk in December 2020 on XSX. Worked perfectly fine, I didn't have a single crash. I thought the game was great, a great RPG but didn't have that iconic moments that elevated the Witcher 3 (the Bog, three Sisters, Ard Skellig music, the Baron, etc.). Regarding the music - I probably listen to the Witcher 3 OST at least once a week, I don't give a damn about Cyberpunk's OST.

It's a great game, it's not a GOAT game, and after Witcher 3 it's a step back in storytelling.

Guilty_AI

Regarding the music - I probably listen to the Witcher 3 OST at least once a week, I don't give a damn about Cyberpunk's OST.

It's a great game, it's not a GOAT game, and after Witcher 3 it's a step back in storytelling.
Really? I think the ost is amazing, especially at the story moments they're played

Can't say much about the story since i'm still early in the game but so far it has gripped me far far more than The Witcher 3 ever did.

That said, i think a lot of it comes down to personal taste. I much prefer modern and futuristic settings to medieval ones.

Last edited:
I played Cyberpunk in December 2020 on XSX. Worked perfectly fine, I didn't have a single crash. I thought the game was great, a great RPG but didn't have that iconic moments that elevated the Witcher 3 (the Bog, three Sisters, Ard Skellig music, the Baron, etc.). Regarding the music - I probably listen to the Witcher 3 OST at least once a week, I don't give a damn about Cyberpunk's OST.

I played it on a PS5, and it crashed over 45 times.

pratyush

I played the game on PC and enjoyed it. This was even before 1.5 patch. Few issues here and there but overall good experience.

Its the previous gen console which was an issue. They should have just released on next gen and PC

NickFire

How standards have lowered l guess.

Gamers just accept patch after patch of updates until they get something they expected to buy day 1.

If by magic the user reviews get better over time. Who’d have thought it.

Then you have the company proudly marketing this over twitter.
I agree that releasing broken games is a problem, but what is the issue with user reviews getting better as the game gets better? Doesn't that help potential purchasers know what the state of the game is before purchasing?

Fredrik

I agree that releasing broken games is a problem, but what is the issue with user reviews getting better as the game gets better? Doesn't that help potential purchasers know what the state of the game is before purchasing?
For rocky launch games games like Cyberpunk 2077 and No Man’s Sky user reviews are actually better than critics reviews. The critics only review the day 0 version and that version might not even reach regular people, their reviews might be completely irrelevant to anyone checking reviews a year later to figure out if a game is worth buying.

Steam let you update your review, I think that’s a great feature. I always update my reviews if things has changed dramatically. Feels unfair to make a harsh review after 20 hours if it was updated and I kept playing it for hundreds of hours.

Kenpachii

For rocky launch games games like Cyberpunk 2077 and No Man’s Sky user reviews are actually better than critics reviews. The critics only review the day 0 version and that version might not even reach regular people, their reviews might be completely irrelevant to anyone checking reviews a year later to figure out if a game is worth buying.

Steam let you update your review, I think that’s a great feature. I always update my reviews if things has changed dramatically. Feels unfair to make a harsh review after 20 hours if it was updated and I kept playing it for hundreds of hours.

Reason why metacritic is useless. They only look at the day 1 game which with practically every game these days is shit.

Fredrik

Reason why metacritic is useless. They only look at the day 1 game which with practically every game these days is shit.
I don’t think it’s useless, it says how the game is for those who are preordering at least. But it’s clearly not as relevant in 2021 as 10 years ago, and things will only become worse going forward as ever evolving games (games as a service) gets more common. You can’t look at metacritic to check how good GT Sports is. Or No Man’s Sky, Driveclub, SF5, etc.
I think critics needs to start revisiting games that devs still support. Could add a mods support score as well since mods can improve games a ton but is never there at launch.

Last edited:

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood

No issue at all it's just something l hope isn't a trend for AAA games, i.e., let's focus on releasing a quality game day 1 instead

Kenpachii

I don’t think it’s useless, it says how the game is for those who are preordering at least. But it’s clearly not as relevant in 2021 as 10 years ago, and things will only become worse going forward as ever evolving games (games as a service) gets more common. You can’t look at metacritic to check how good GT Sports is. Or No Man’s Sky, Driveclub, SF5, etc.
I think critics needs to start revisiting games that devs still support. Could add a mods support score as well since mods can improve games a ton but is never there at launch.

If i want to see what a game is, plays and looks like i will move to a twitch channel that plays the game and see what it really is. Twitch kinda made every single review outlet useless. I can now see what it is and interact with the person actually playing it. I think most games on PC also started to understand this to the point they heavily advertise on it.

For the people that do want written reviews, the other best option is steam reviews and filter out on x amount of hours played. Specially newer reviews from current game state is a good indication of how the game actually is. Lots of users warn other users if the product for example is a scam or just not what they advertise.

The problem with metacritic is and always has been that there reviews are too static and always have been. it stayed longer relevant for consoles because they didn't really focus much on the online aspect on gaming but that's rapidly changing also.

This is why battlefield reviews where such a mess.

I honestly wouldn't know how u can review for example a wow expansion or even wow vanilla 18 years ago without simple not experience any of the content on day 1. It simple doesn't work.

If i want to see a review of a mmo for example, i watch some twitch streamers, wait untl they are at the end game and they drop video's, i played 200 hours of this game and its shit or good or whatever. As end game is all that matters in mmo's. Then i watch some footage of them playing it and see if its something i care about.

This is how i for example got introduced to valheim a game that i absolute have no interest in, until i saw twitch people play it and recommend it.

Fredrik

If i want to see what a game is, plays and looks like i will move to a twitch channel that plays the game and see what it really is. Twitch kinda made every single review outlet useless. I can now see what it is and interact with the person actually playing it. I think most games on PC also started to understand this to the point they heavily advertise on it.

For the people that do want written reviews, the other best option is steam reviews and filter out on x amount of hours played. Specially newer reviews from current game state is a good indication of how the game actually is. Lots of users warn other users if the product for example is a scam or just not what they advertise.

The problem with metacritic is and always has been that there reviews are too static and always have been. it stayed longer relevant for consoles because they didn't really focus much on the online aspect on gaming but that's rapidly changing also.

This is why battlefield reviews where such a mess.

I honestly wouldn't know how u can review for example a wow expansion or even wow vanilla 18 years ago without simple not experience any of the content on day 1. It simple doesn't work.

If i want to see a review of a mmo for example, i watch some twitch streamers, wait untl they are at the end game and they drop video's, i played 200 hours of this game and its shit or good or whatever. As end game is all that matters in mmo's. Then i watch some footage of them playing it and see if its something i care about.

This is how i for example got introduced to valheim a game that i absolute have no interest in, until i saw twitch people play it and recommend it.
I kinda agree at some things but I also think the hate train can show it’s ugly face on Twitch and Youtube, only rant about and highlight bugs. How useful video content is depends a lot on who’s playing.

Regarding Cyberpunk 2077, I think my playtime counter is close to 300 hours now. I firmly believe those who still hate this game have clocked in max 20 hours and has played it on console. I would highly recommend the game to any RPG and cyberpunk fan now, as long as they play on PC and aren’t afraid to dabble with mods. It’s far from perfect and I hope they keep improve it but the story telling is great, dialogues are fantastic, first person immersion is top in class, and in a genre where combat is usually full of jank it absolutely shines.

The low points for me is how similar each life path is and the character creation is pretty much just the face and the world isn’t living and breathing as I hoped. But most things people still moan about isn’t sinking the game for me. I would rate it 9/10 today without hesitation.

Top Bottom