• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077: Do you think that it has poor difficulty scaling?

Is Cyberpunk 2077's difficulty levels poorly scaled?

• Yes

Votes: 25 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 28 45.9%
  • I don't know

Votes: 8 13.1%

• Total voters

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I'm playing the game on PC with the difficulty set to normal, but it feel as if I'm playing it on what would be hard or very hard in other games. Enemies are bullet sponges; I have to hit enemies in their bodies with over 100 rounds to kill them or a few times in the head to kill them (unless their health is already less than 100%). In most other games, it doesn't take so many bullets to the body or more than one shot to the head (even if they have 100% health) to kill enemies.

Compounding this issue is the conversely lower number of rounds that it takes for an enemy to kill my character; one well placed shot or a very short burst of shots to the body causes my character's health to drop to critical levels, which results in me having to use a health-regenerative consumable in order to prevent the next shot from killing my character.

I've recently reached the boss battle with Sandayu Oda and I'm seriously puzzled as to how I'm going to beat him despite the aforementioned issues; he's very fast, continuously attacks, and is a bullet sponge. Sasquatch was manageable because even though she continuously attacked and was a bullet sponge, she was slow and therefore her attacks were relatively infrequent and easy to dodge.

TheKratos

I feel like you're build is really important in CP. I leveled up my reflex/handgun build and all critical skills. Was two shotting everyone with revolvers (headshots), except mini bosses obviously.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Haven't played, but lots of RPGey shooters have that problem. Borderlands or The Division (on hard) were sponge fests.

I think RPGs with shooter mechanics should implement the RPG part in a way that doesn't affect damage, becuse it makes those games a chore and, most of all, it doesn't make fucking sense. Using accuracy, bullet spread or reloading speed for example would be much better imo.

Kupfer

Playing on hard in Ps5 and in the beginning it actually was hard and I didn't do any damage - 10 close range shotguns shots to kill a grunt felt weird. But I managed to gain skills, weapons and a playstyle with which I manage to kill many enemies in one shot or at least way quicker than in the beginning. (Lizzie / Fenrir / Overwatch / Mantis). Close range fighting is still difficult af, I can't beat the twins for example, although I'm level 28ish and the quest is tagged as very easy. And I die a lot. Enemies can drain your health in no time. But it's fun. It plays a bit like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. where you also had to have a plan before you approach even an easy looking fight.

Last edited:

Serianox

Once levels and perks start to add up combat can get really easy even in the hardest difficulty. Pretty much killed the last boss in like 5 seconds but any damage can also take you down really fast. For the Oda fight use Reboot Optics when he starts doing his melee parts or focus on dodging until he backs off and starts doing ranged attacks.

Last edited:

Ivory Blood

I'm playing the game on PC with the difficulty set to normal, but it feel as if I'm playing it on what would be hard or very hard in other games. Enemies are bullet sponges; I have to hit enemies in their bodies with over 100 rounds to kill them or a few times in the head to kill them (unless their health is already less than 100%). In most other games, it doesn't take so many bullets to the body or more than one shot to the head (even if they have 100% health) to kill enemies.

Compounding this issue is the conversely lower number of rounds that it takes for an enemy to kill my character; one well placed shot or a very short burst of shots to the body causes my character's health to drop to critical levels, which results in me having to use a health-regenerative consumable in order to prevent the next shot from killing my character.

I've recently reached the boss battle with Sandayu Oda and I'm seriously puzzled as to how I'm going to beat him despite the aforementioned issues; he's very fast, continuously attacks, and is a bullet sponge. Sasquatch was manageable because even though she continuously attacked and was a bullet sponge, she was slow and therefore her attacks were relatively infrequent and easy to dodge.
I played once on normal, and then started second playthrough on hard. Second time I've grinded to 50, and set a crazy build with crafting. Right now I one shot everything with a revolver and sniper rifle, getting crits in the range of 300k - 500k damage. CDPR sure need to do some tuning on the difficulty, cause if you use all the perks and weapon modifications available - you basically become an unstoppable terminator.

I played on very hard and the only place that I struggled was the mission where you get the flathead. That was mostly because I did not fully understand game mechanics at that point. Everything after that was okay.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
LOL, I guess my issue is that I've been playing this game as a regular shooter; I haven't upgraded much of anything.

AmateurPong

Playing on hard and I actually feel pretty OP due to how powerful quickhacks are, haven't done this particular fight yet tho.

Certinty

35 hours in on normal and I’ve barely died. I haven’t even bothered upgrading guns or my character, basically all i’ve done is just assign most upgrade points to the body category.

Sakura

On normal I was just one shotting everyone in the head with a sniper rifle.
There were some situations where I found myself just dying straight away though, could probably use some balancing.
For Oda, I found if you jumped up on the box or container or whatever it was that is there, he doesn't/can't melee you, which was the only thing that was really giving me trouble.

Last edited:

deafmedal

If anything the game is too easy (on normal), once I figured some things out systems/build-wise I really only died to explosions/stupidity. I did a “fast” play through so I’m not sure how many boss types I encountered but I don’t recall any of them killing me, esp in the last 20ish hours of my ~40 hour run.

Pretty sure I have a bunch of perk points left over too, only invested in the hacking and stealth trees, I can only imagine how strong a fully spec’d character would feel.

Isendurl

Yes, I think difficulty scaling is bad, but for different reason than OP, after certain point its too easy even on very hard. Basically almost every build in the game is broken by the end game you can just one shot people without much afford.

Caffeine

it has poor scaling based on difficulty. the gap between normal and hard is really jarring. The enemies are pretty tough on hard. but then on normal they are stupid. As the guy above said just flood body and you will tank everything.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
On normal I was just one shotting everyone in the head with a sniper rifle.
There were some situations where I found myself just dying straight away though, could probably use some balancing.
For Oda, I found if you jumped up on the box or container or whatever it was that is there, he doesn't/can't melee you, which was the only thing that was really giving me trouble.
Thanks for the advice regarding Oda. I'm about to jump back into the game right now.

ripeavocado

Banned

It’s one of the easiest games I remember, you must do everything wrong to find it hard

Reactions: MrS

Elios83

Try using cyberwares.
You can pretty much stop him with the proper cyber attacks and then you can use weapons or grenades to finish him. It was an easy battle for me.
Are you sure you're actually playing this like a RPG and not like a fps?
I was level 20 with a level 30 reputation when I beat him.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Try using cyberwares.
You can pretty much stop him with the proper cyber attacksand then you can use weapons or grenades to finish him. It was an easy battle for me.
I was level 20 with a level 30 reputation when I beat him.

I just beat him. I increased my body's stats and started off with a cyberattack (short circuit) but was unable to do any more because the options to do so became unselectable. I then weared him down with gun fire but then ran out of bullets. So, I finished him off with a sword, wearing him down from ~ 40% to 0%.

Elios83

I just beat him. I increased my body's stats and started off with a cyberattack (short circuit) but was unable to do any more because the options to do so became unselectable. I then weared him down with gun fire but then ran out of bullets. So, I finished him off with a sword, wearing him down from ~ 40% to 0%.

Well honestly you should know why those ''options became unselectable" since you're almost at the end of the game :p
It's the RAM recharge time of the cyber attacks. You just need to wait (depending on how much RAM slots you have in your cyberdeck and how much you have developed your hacking abilities) to be able to use more cyber attacks.
You can also use grenades with emp attacks.
Btw yeah it seems like you have played this like a fps and ignored the RPG and cyber attacks aspect of the game which is the wrong way to play it, hence your issues with balance and difficulty scaling.
You always need to power up your weapons, stats and abilities, you have to buy new hacking tools and mods for both your weapons and your clothes.

iorek21

I usually complain a lot about bullet sponges, but Cyberpunk is quite alright after the initial hours. You get a lot of nice weapons and useful skills.

With that said, my biggest gameplay related problem with this game is hacking. Oh, what a waste, it could have been so much better...

Braag

It never got too easy or too hard for me. Unless when I went into missions and areas which were marked as being way under or over my level.
It's not like AC games where everything just scales with you so you never really feel like your character has become more powerful.

sobaka770

Banned
I think it's probably has some balancing issues but on my end I started on Hard and once I get back into it I want to start on Very Hard. I didn't find the game particularly challenging if you use all the tools you have at your disposal and some minor crafting.

regawdless

Banned
What is your level and character build? I'm doing a Cold Blooded Gunslinger focussing on headshot damage.

Playing on normal, It's so easy I'm running into hordes of enemies and just crushing them.

Do you level up your weapons in the crafting menu?

Life

If you're struggling on normal - you're not playing the game right. There are various ways to make V overpowered. Health buffs/gun buffs/cyber buffs and armor.
I don't even know what normal is like since I played on very hard from the get-go. You can't just run & gun on very hard - but I imagine you can on normal.

Makariel

I'm playing on normal, most enemies die after a headshot with a sniper rifle, through cover.
I even took out a bunch of cyberpsychos with a single headshot, but most need a few more headshots, and can be slowed down/messed with via quickhacks. I've not found any bullet-sponges, enemies die pretty quickly IMO.

Bartski

Gold Member
Played on Hard as blades netrunner and it was piss-easy all the way. Just don't go do missions that the journal tells you you're underleveled for and you'll be fine.
Oda - cripple movement hack + R2 spam good katana with stamina boosting perks and he was down half health.

luffie

Nah, this game is easy, it gives you a lot of tools at your disposal, and you gotta use them well.

Oda may be fast, but Oda can't hack you. Reboot optics, cyberware malfunction, cripple movement, these hacks will immediately stop Oda at his tracks.
You can also slow time using Kerenzikov and get a few head shots or melee attacks. If you have tagged Oda, you can run and double jump behind covers to shoot him using power weapons as well. Using a melee build, I killed Oda in less than a minute.

If you are shooting a lot and miss a lot, you might want to use weapons that have more damage per bullet but fire less shots.

Prepare well, drink and eat before combat, and not even the last boss will stop you.

Labadal

Game is very easy. I have died, but it was because of my own stupidity. For Oda, if you have the perk that grants you immunity to your own grenades, just spam them on him.

50 hours in I've upgraded crafting enough to make legendary items. It takes FOREVER to craft up parts one at a time. But I would say the my character is now overpowered for even high dificulty. crafted shotgun with upgrades and kickback. I can takedown everything with just two or three shots.
I've saved the main quests for later when I get a Series X. So I've cleared out all I can do of the blue open world area's and have now moved on to the orange side quests.
There are 3 broken blue open world quests that bugged out and I'm unable to complete for bugged reasons.
I do not have mad skills as a gamer and complain about hard difficulty all the time in other games but CP77 is easy for me.

V4skunk

Banned

It sounds like you don't understand what you are doing.

I thought this was going to be a different thread... I have been thinking it’s too easy. I mean I’m playing on very hard and I can still one shot most people in the head with a silenced revolver. I am set up to do huge damage when I crit headshots (ie; 280 dmg per shot weapon doing 55000 dmg per shot on a crit). Hacking is also very powerful. For large crowds just use contagion and take them all down together. There really is a variety of options. If you’re having trouble hitting people use smart weapons or get a sniper rifle and shoot them in the head through objects, just ping and shoot.

Last edited:

Paltheos

The game's very easy, regardless of your build. I'm 20 tech / 10 int / 7 cool / 6 body / 5 reflex atm and flooring everybody despite elements of my build not complementing each other very well. A few perk points into stealth and hacking lets me take down rooms very easily. Reboot Optics is the best quickhack in the game I've found because the AI only alerts the entire group on sight. Even if they hear you running around or you hack them at worst, sometimes, they go to a yellow alert where all the stealth rules still apply. On the tech side, where I've put the bulk of my points, tech weapons are dumb. Enemies are outlined red when they're aware of your position, so just hide behind walls and pop them in the head through walls (My only complaint there is that 'what is a wall' is surprisingly inconsistent; even with full charge I can't shoot through stuff sometimes). I've only experimented with light body stuff but even just Gorilla Arms without body investment lets me roll over enemies.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's about as janky as The Witcher 3 was. I'm playing on hard, and don't really mind the sponginess of the enemies, but just like in TW3, it feels like you get inextricably one-shot at times and feedback when you're taking damage is extremely poor.

Kuranghi

I honestly can't think of anything I'd want to do less than play this game based on what I've heard about it. Even if a world is unbelieveably amazing and the characters are super deep and interesting I just can't care if the actual moment to moment gameplay is boring/annoying.

So it sounds poor to me.

Nester99

i agree OP,
I am getting owned at low levels.

Reminds me of Witcher 3. I got owned until i got gear and skills.

Top Bottom