• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Dev Talks Microtransactions in Multiplayer -- "We Won't Be Aggressive"

sublimit

Banned
I don't get why some people freak out. They clearly said that the single player will have free DLC and paid expansions just like the Witcher 3. Microtransactions will only be for MP.

That said this game doesn't interest me at all personally (unlike The Witcher games) so these news don't affect me.

Mhmmm 2077

People in this thread has been living under a rock I guess? The multiplayer game won't come out before 2022 anyway. And CDPR always said that there will be no microtransactions in the single player game, besides, I wouldn't expect Ubisoft/EA/etc. kind fof evil microtransactions, just look at Gwent developed by CDPR, it has microtransactions and it's one of the most fair f2p games on the market.

Bkdk

From business standpoint, it’s stupid not to add micro transactions into multiplayer modes, EA and actiVision both showed it worked wonders, you might be better off just to buy some of their stocks to earn a little bit more money from the massive profit gain anyway. Those profits can compensate my game expenses annually.

Audiophile

It seems to me the game was originally conceived and most importantly portrayed/marketed as a single player experience only; and everyone will be getting just that without MTX, with free next-gen upgrades, with current-gen pricing for the game, with some free dlc and with some substantial paid expansions that I think it's fair to assume will offer great value based on precedent. Not to mention their more expansive physical standard editions.

If they want to add a multiplayer component a year or two down the line; that's a separate thing, an addition beyond what was originally expected; and if they going to monetize that, there are few companies I'd expect to do MTX in a fairer way than CDPR.

My issue has never been with the concept of MTX, I mean, if it's an ongoing service that doesn't take away from the base product, then procuring additional revenue is fine by me. My issue has been predatory practices, functional shortcuts and extortionate pricing.

In MW, despite a move in the right direction (cosmetics only, well, mostly....), a gun blueprint, a character skin and a charm/emblem/calling card can cost ~£20 which is an absolutely piss take. Not to mention the abysmal rotating store front.

If CDPR offer all stuff upfront or at least on equal footing for everyone, keep it cosmetic only with no functional shortcuts and charge much lower prices, I'm fine with that. And again, it's said to be part of an additional multiplayer component that was never expected anyway.

The Shepard

I do wonder if they are going for a gta online style multiplayer?

The MTX will probably be skins and outfits for multiplayer; coats, skins, genital size

I don't get the point for skins for a first person game as you only ever see the gun, and who would pay for gun skins?

It's about their MULTIPLAYER game in cyberpunk universe that will release in 2022, not single player Cyberpunk 2077. And it's obvious that such game will have some form of mtx and thet stated now it will be not agressive form of mtx. We shall see i guess

Last edited:

nochance

Banned
CDPR is keeping you hostage. Not only are they forcing you to buy CYberpunk 2077 multiplayer campaign, which evidently they are, they're also holding you at point blank range and making you buy cosmetics.

Charging for services you voluntarily decide to purchase?!
It's positively outrageous, I say!
For me it's quite simple, I will skip the game, with hopes of as many as possible gamers doing the same. I will also spread the message of them lying wherever I see the game being mentioned.

PresetError

Neophyte
People in this thread has been living under a rock I guess? The multiplayer game won't come out before 2022 anyway. And CDPR always said that there will be no microtransactions in the single player game, besides, I wouldn't expect Ubisoft/EA/etc. kind fof evil microtransactions, just look at Gwent developed by CDPR, it has microtransactions and it's one of the most fair f2p games on the market.

Don't make me laugh. I played Gwent and after a week the free progression stoped to a crawl and the matchmaking of the game was screaming in my face to buy stuff if I wanted to win.

For me it's quite simple, I will skip the game, with hopes of as many as possible gamers doing the same. I will also spread the message of them lying wherever I see the game being mentioned.
You should have started spreading this since Gwent multiplayer game that released few years ago and has microtransactions

I do wonder if they are going for a gta online style multiplayer?

I don't get the point for skins for a first person game as you only ever see the gun, and who would pay for gun skins?
It's fomo and peacocking. You see other people's characters look 'amazing' and whales/saddo people want to be the person that random online people aspire to. Or something.

It's why Diablo 4 has a hub world and 'non-aggressive' MTX. It's a bait and switch. They change the game so that you have to see other people's skins and it makes suckers want to buy them.

Path of exile is the same.

imsosleepy

I don't get why some people freak out. They clearly said that the single player will have free DLC and paid expansions just like the Witcher 3. Microtransactions will only be for MP.

That said this game doesn't interest me at all personally (unlike The Witcher games) so these news don't affect me.
apparently.. r/gaming also dont seem to grasp this...

Did they ever disclose this when speaking about microtransactions?
Yes, everything is in their financial report for investors from few days ago. About microtransactions in their big multiplayer game we know for a long time already. I dont understand confusion right now. Standalone multiplayer game set in cyberpunk universe is very old news.

MadYarpen

I don't see how this relates to CP single player to be honest.

If it does then fuck them, but I'm pretty sure it is about the future MP.

Itachi87

As long as there's no MTX in the single player game, I could care less. Don't plan on playing the multiplayer anyways.

SO much misinformation about this topic lol. It's CLEARLY stated they are talking about standalone multiplayer game set in cyberpunk universe that will release in 2022. It's actually their another AAA project. And we know this since freaking january. People who panic about mtx in CYBERPUNK 2077 don't even read the articles on the subject. There will be zero mtx in CYBERPUNK 2077 https://www.gamespot.com/articles/c...m_campaign=hub_platform&utm_source=reddit.com

Last edited:

Jaxcellent

I don't mind if there are MTX in the free multiplayer add-on.. CD project red will show the world how to do MTX, It's all about value, they should keep prices low, like super low.. lower..... and they will be fine. iMO its a great idea to do some multiplayer after they release the SP part.

Laptop1991

It was already known they would add mtx to multiplayer, as long as the singleplayer doesn't have them like they said, then i'm still in for the game, if they add them later to sp, then i won't be, of course i will have already bought the game by then, it's sad you can't trust the game industry anymore.

I will buy this game when it's cheap and if I feel it's good enough/that I want to play the campaign.

I don't understand this thread reaction at all, perhaps you guys shouldn't pre-order games at all, if with every single bit of news that comes out you have to reconsider wether the game is still worth it or not. Seems stressful having to do that.

Perhaps you're not that hyped about it and what you've seen doesn't warrant a full price purchase.

/Forza Horizon 4 Microtransaction rant

Microtransactions in a game I paid for generally annoy me, but, I doubt they'll go the Forza Horizon 4 route, of shoving lego themed loading screens in my face, keeping map checkpoints that I can't turn off for content I don't own (plus, other things, like not separating on the game car store what I own/can own with ingame money, from what I have to purchase with actual money). That, being the definition of not being respectful (still, when I searched online, I didn't find a lot of people complaining about this, and I found this to be surprising).

/end rant

This microtransaction thing is clearly meant for online, and by respectful, I understand not as bad as most games who rely on them.

For me, said online game is only conceptually worth it if I can play without making microtransactions and not be punished for it. But, even if I wanted that, I'd say there are bigger things to consider, like: will it end up being any good at launch? Lot's of these games aren't requiring lots of fixes, server down time, rebalancing and the community feeling like glorified beta testers. And, by 2022, will it come to current gen consoles and is that an advantage or disadvantage? I'd say there will be people advocating one or the other, but fact is most of us will be playing cyberpunk 2077 on a current gen console (or, dare I say, current gen pc) so what we have might not even be the baseline for this.

And, I certainly wouldn't buy a standalone cyberpunk game just to play online but if it's a free add-on two years on, then I think they can actually justify microtransactions even if I don't happen to like the way they do it. So, there's that, this changes nothing for Cyberpunk 2077 in 2020 (or it's singleplayer campaign even after that).

Last edited:

CitizenX

Banned
This is what these companies have learned, the internet does not buy games. there is only and will always be just one goal in life, no mater who or what you are.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I asked this before, why a full price game needs Microtransactions in the first place!? For F2P is much more understandable since thats the only way to make money from it.

PapyDoc

Weren't these the guys who said they would never do microtransactions? Not a fan of multiplayer being tacked onto single player games these days. There is enough mulitplayer out there, we do not want that in a CD Project Red game.
V9gLSvk.gif

iorek21

Not surprising, really. I think every AAA studio will end up putting MTX in their games in one way or the other.

That is why I'm slowly getting into my new philosophy: Day one purchases just for indies + masterpieces (usually Sony exclusives); the rest I'll buy on sale.

As nothing has been exactly revealed yet, I still consider CP2077 a must buy, but that could change before release/reviews

V9gLSvk.gif

What's the word I'm looking for here, that aptly describes the fact CD Projekt Red made statements specifically about single-player or specifically about multiplayer that some are now trying to apply universally, to show a supposed contradiction?

These people haven't noticed Gwent, a multiplayer experience, has had microtransactions for years now.
But, oh, no. CD Projekt have been caught red-handed.
What will they possibly do now?

Weren't these the guys who said they would never do microtransactions?

Yes, they've said as much about single-player games and will be keeping their promises for the single-player campaign of Cyberpunk 2077.

Not a fan of multiplayer being tacked onto single player games these days.

It's an entirely separate game. It's coming out in 2022 and not even being developed by the same team, if I remember correctly.

There is enough mulitplayer out there, we do not want that in a CD Project Red game.

Who's "we"?
Your household?

"We" will vote with "our" wallet.
Then and only then will you be able to say that "we do not want that in a CD Project Red game." with legitimacy.

Maybe it's naïve of me, but I assume they would conduct market research that exceeds your household before starting a mulita-million dollar project.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
I don’t care about MTX in multiplayer or care about multiplayer at all.

Single player should be the absolute focus and i’m sure they’ll deliver because they gave us one of the best games this gen.

Also people should calm down. This is CDPR not 2K.

MadYarpen

I don’t care about MTX in multiplayer or care about multiplayer at all.

Single player should be the absolute focus and i’m sure they’ll deliver because they gave us one of the best games this gen.

Also people should calm down. This is CDPR not 2K.
Some need to learn to read first...

Also I think the title should be updated to say *IN MULTIPLAYER* before someone gets a heart attack...

NinjaBoiX

Whatever. I play many games with microtransactions and the only time I have spent money is by getting extra characters for DBZ Fighterz.

It can be done in a way that is not intrusive for people that don't want to spend any.
Exactly.

“No! Not microtransactions! That is inherently bad because reasons!”

Companies can implement MTX really well if they want to, let the dedicated player base that are willing to shell out for a shiny new hat or some shit go nuts if it helps to release the core/tangible content for free.

It’s a viable model if it’s done right.

I still dont understand why these guys are treated like gaming 'royalty'. They made ONE game that could be considered great. ONE

Yet the number of people dickriding them is staggering

Mozzarella

Some people are so over-dramatic here, its for multiplayer only and honestly they have to keep those multiplayer servers going for years and they will invest in them with patches, probably some extra dlc as well, they said its going to be cosmetics and very fair and i give them the benefit of doubt, because so far they are the most customer friendly developer out there, i have no problem with this.
Dont see a reason for this imo "fake" outrage here, but probably some CDPR haters will use this to push their complaints about them so any bit of news like this will help, LOL.

Because they are a consumer friendly company in an industry full of greedy companies.
Well that doesnt explain why so many people act like they were seasoned devs with several classics under their belt. They still have to prove themselves imo.

We'll also see how long the 'consumer friendly' thing lasts now that they are not the little guy in the industry trying to get noticed anymore

Miles708

I don't mind if there are MTX in the free multiplayer add-on.. CD project red will show the world how to do MTX, It's all about value, they should keep prices low, like super low.. lower..... and they will be fine. iMO its a great idea to do some multiplayer after they release the SP part.

I agree with this. Is the multiplayer portion a free download? Then, no problem.
I'll happily ignore those, but I understand why it is needed: multiplayer means constant support, fixes, new content, and its overall a pain for the devs (at least with single player there's a deadline).

BUT if the multiplayer is sold as a separate entity, then we have a problem.

Last edited:

JayK47

Still not a fan of CD Project Red doing multiplayer games. They do so well with story telling, I do not want them to stray from that. So it will be a separate game. Great. I am glad the single player game will be unaffected, but seriously there is so much multiplayer out there, I do not want them to jump into that crowded market and take talant away from any single player games they could be working on. I would love to see more Witcher games.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
3rd person view for 5 US dollars. Thanks.

On a serious note I don't like microtransactions in any of my games. Looks like even CDPR will succumb to the greed.

Yeah you won't be *aggressive* but they will still be *there*.

Fuz

Banned
I still dont understand why these guys are treated like gaming 'royalty'. They made ONE game that could be considered great. ONE

Yet the number of people dickriding them is staggering
They made THREE - also a fourth (Thronebreaker) that was pretty good too.

Top Bottom