• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 delayed because of current gen consoles, new source claims

Javthusiast

Banned
And so we wait.

RgkWxRF.png

Saber

Gold Member
Why do I feel like this game suddenly arrised with a bunch of problems?

I mean, I'm 100% certain this game will have a world war drama after the release(from "you know who site").

MHubert

Funny how I see multiple people arguing that maintaining maximum compatibility across console generations is a bad thing... I guess it's real easy to find a scapegoat to blame and direct your anger towards. Somehow the consumer having more choice/options is bad. Go figure. Hating on the Xbox is popular I guess.
To me, it's a very good thing that you don't immediately need a new console to play the launch games, which more often than not are far away from the new hardware's potential anyway.

Game delays are not rare nowadays, and this is no different. If you're salty because you have to wait longer for a game to be released, that's your problem. You're not going to die if you wait a few months. Deal with it.

I have no memory of anyone stating that 'maximum compatibility' will not make people, who don't want to buy into the new generation, happy. The argument is that it will put a strain on developers making big games in 2020/21 because they have to make their games run on almost 10 year old hardware, and thus the quality of the games will suffer. Hell, the whole point in console generations is that new hardware has to come out to accommodate the advanced features developers put in their games, you know, to evolve the medium or at least to keep with the times. This is still a reality, and MS will stop supporting XOne(X) AT SOME POINT (!), and just because they post-pone the inevitable a few years doesn't mean that they have somehow introduced some kind of new 'forward-compatible' concept/strategy. Its PR speak saying that they won't have any big first party exclusives ready. If Sony, MS and Nintendo could keep making big money on their first consoles, they would.

It's funny; In the almost 17 years I have been keeping up with gaming news, gamers usually hype new consoles because they envision all the new kinds of games they will be able to play. This is the first time I have seen some people being excited about the opposite.

Last edited:
It's funny; In the almost 17 years I have been keeping up with gaming news, gamers usually hype new consoles because they envision all the new kinds of games they will be able to play. This is the first time I have seen some people being excited about the opposite.

It's crazy but it's also transparent - it's only coming from one side because their fave console maker has decided to make a backwards move (motivated by money) so now we're getting all kinds of crazy arguments as to why new games only on new hardware is bad! I mean Christ on a bike.

Not sure I believe this. If the XB1 is singled out and not the PS4 then it's not because of the CPU. And I find it hard to believe that the XB1 can't run the game fine at 720p and lowered settings. That's not ideal but it's certainly preferable to a significant delay.

Blond

Banned
terrible? I felt it was the classic god of war feeling. The ps2 games always ran 40-60 fps.
It got better after patches definitely, at launch there was times in combat I wasn't sure. It could've been better I guess

Unfortunately it's the state of the whole industry ri
ght now. Sony & Microsoft started heavily promoting 4K when Pro and X came out instead of also focusing on perfectly stable 60fps in 1080p. At least with some console games you have the built-on option to choose between higher framerate or image quality.

That's right! I can definitely see CD PR will give gamers the options to pick to prioritize framerate or resolution. They haven't let us down yet.

Okay, you convinced me. Hopefully they don’t fail...

NO way CD PR will go under. They will be bought out at a premium before that happens. MS will love to acquire such a developer. But in Poland the government will give you loans to make games, movies etc. CD PR was supposed to have started paying back the government loans around June 2019. So CD PR must have renegotiated the loan since the game won't be out until 18 months after the initial due date.

Moses85

NO way CD PR will go under. They will be bought out at a premium before that happens. MS will love to acquire such a developer. But in Poland the government will give you loans to make games, movies etc. CD PR was supposed to have started paying back the government loans around June 2019. So CD PR must have renegotiated the loan since the game won't be out until 18 months after the initial due date.

Sounds quiet good! Thanks for the positive vibes!

With way lower CPU and GPU than their minimum specs on PC.

Sorry that makes no logical sense. PC version currently running fine, Xbox One version not because of weaker hardware.

Xbox version seems to be impacted because of weak hardware. PC version okay.

So once again, can you please explain how does the Xbox version impacts the PC version?

Is the PC versions framerate impacted? Or is the graphical fidelity? Or is it the effects?

Patiently waiting for your explanation.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
If this is already a problem and we didnt even start next gen, how the fuck will all xbox games run accross all xbox systems?

Everyone here still thinks its just a simple downscale from the top plattforms?
No one even thinks of the cost and time it will take to downport next gen games to these outdated systems.

And this game should really only release on next gen at launch period.
Release pc version upon completion and consoles will get the game with some dlc and multiplayer later.

If this is already a problem and we didnt even start next gen, how the fuck will all xbox games run accross all xbox systems?

Everyone here still thinks its just a simple downscale from the top plattforms?
No one even thinks of the cost and time it will take to downport next gen games to these outdated systems.

And this game should really only release on next gen at launch period.
Release pc version upon completion and consoles will get the game with some dlc and multiplayer later.

While I agree with your sentiments about the cost and use of further resources to downgrade games for current gen when next-gen comes out, I don't agree that their should ONLY be exclusive next gen games (although that would be nice) when you have 160 million + PS4s and XB1s installment base out there.

Ascend

YES! We need to strip consumers of some options. Don't be this entitled. At some point consumers will need to buy something new, to play the new games. Xbox One and PS4 can't be supported forever.
Excuse me? Having more options as consumers is entitlement? You know what's entitlement? Trying to marginalize the rest so that you can have the best. THAT is entitlement.

No one is saying older consoles should be supported forever. But there is nothing wrong with a transition phase.

I have no memory of anyone stating that 'maximum compatibility' will not make people, who don't want to buy into the new generation, happy. The argument is that it will put a strain on developers making big games in 2020/21 because they have to make their games run on almost 10 year old hardware, and thus the quality of the games will suffer. Hell, the whole point in console generations is that new hardware has to come out to accommodate the advanced features developers put in their games, you know, to evolve the medium or at least to keep with the times. This is still a reality, and MS will stop supporting XOne(X) AT SOME POINT (!), and just because they post-pone the inevitable a few years doesn't mean that they have somehow introduced some kind of new 'forward-compatible' concept/strategy. Its PR speak saying that they won't have any big first party exclusives ready. If Sony, MS and Nintendo could keep making big money on their first consoles, they would.

I understand the argument perfectly. Let me ask you something. What is this oh so big leap that we experienced going from the PS3/X360 generation to the Xbox One/PS4 generation? As far as I'm aware, it was mostly a resolution bump with little else, especially in terms of gameplay. And what is the next big thing that everyone is talking about right now? Ray Tracing, i.e. another graphical upgrade with little innovation on the gameplay side.

Want to evolve the medium? Look at Hellblade, Minecraft, PUBG etc. The innovation is not coming from the big studios. All that we are getting is graphical upgrades from the AAA studios, and nothing else other than loot boxes and season passes. Graphics make games look nicer, but does not necessarily make them better. And if all we're getting is ray tracing and SSDs for fast loading, there is little reason to discount the older consoles, since they will be perfectly capable of playing the same games with less detail and lower resolutions.

Think I'm wrong? You're free to explain what is oh so great about the next consoles that the current ones can't do. Actually, that's too lenient. What great feature will these consoles be able to deliver us for the first two years after they're out, that the PS4 and Xbox One can't deliver? If developers are going to spend all their time developing money grabbing systems like season passes and loot boxes, they might as well put those resources into making the same game run on the older consoles. If the Switch can run Skyrim and The Witcher 3, I don't see how this is going to be an issue. And the PS4 Pro + PS4 and Xbox One, Xbox One S and Xbox One X are also already doing it.

Last edited:

Neofire

I believe this personally but it's CD's choice to release it on the platforms they want even though I think they should have waited for the next generation consoles.

Although it's hard to think that the Xbox one X can't run the game properly though.

Terenty

Sorry that makes no logical sense. PC version currently running fine, Xbox One version not because of weaker hardware.

So once again, can you please explain how does the Xbox version impacts the PC version?

Is the PC versions framerate impacted? Or is the graphical fidelity? Or is it the effects?

The same way Witcher 3 was downgraded on PC alongside consoles

ethomaz

Banned

PC version has a minimum required spec that the dev sets so the game won’t run well below that even if you se everything to low... that happens to all PC games.

XB1 / PS4 hardware is way below that minimum hardware requirement.

So they are having issues to scale the game to these targets.

Now they will probably need to tune something down on PC to make it reache the low target hardware or consoles... maybe even changing codes threat already runs fine on PC to make it compatible with XB1/PS4 low hardware.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
While I agree with your sentiments about the cost and use of further resources to downgrade games for current gen when next-gen comes out, I don't agree that their should ONLY be exclusive next gen games (although that would be nice) when you have 160 million + PS4s and XB1s installment base out there.
We had almost double of that user base last gen yet we still moved on and all was fine if not better.
Ps4 and xone were breaking records at launch and that momentum kept going on and on.
All due to the fact people were tired of the same old and wanted the next evolution in graphics.

We will never have a major step forward if we keep supporting the elderly.

This gen ran its course more so than any other generation before. By time of release it will be 7 years old thats the same as ps3 to ps4 and people were saying it was the longest generation change in history and it over stayed its welcome.
And remember back than those systems were almost on par with current market tech minus your 5k pc. Ps4 and xone were all budget consoles made with left over off the shelf budget parts sprinkeld with some nitro magic.

Even the midd gen refresh that i bought into didnt bring the desired improvement i was hopping for .
If this new gen is once again just a refresh like pro and x there will be realy no reason for me to purchase a new console.

And you can ray trace the shit out of current games to call it next gen but you will still run down a corridor shooting brain dead enemies with invisible walls around you.

Redefine07

Will be like Dragon Age Inquisition was on X360 / PS3 , I was so sad when I saw it running on my X360 so sad that I went with PC version and did not regret it =)

PC version has a minimum required spec that the dev sets so the game won’t run well below that even if you se everything to low... that happens to all PC games.

XB1 / PS4 hardware is way below that minimum hardware requirement.

So they are having issues to scale the game to these targets.

Now they will probably need to tune something down on PC to make it reache the low target hardware or consoles... maybe even changing codes threat already runs fine on PC to make it compatible with XB1/PS4 low hardware.

Okay so basically you have zero evidence for your claims. Fine.

We will never have a major step forward if we keep supporting the elderly.

This gen ran its course more so than any other generation before. By time of release it will be 7 years old thats the same as ps3 to ps4 and people were saying it was the longest generation change in history and it over stayed its welcome.
And remember back than those systems were almost on par with current market tech minus your 5k pc. Ps4 and xone were all budget consoles made with left over off the shelf budget parts sprinkeld with some nitro magic.

You will always run into the issue of a generation being too long when you have mid-gen refresh. Even Nintendo, who is usually unaffected with generational fatigue due to their brilliant first-part games, needs to release hardware update to keep things fresh. Hopefully, Sony and MS will figure this next-gen out. I would rather them just release a 5-6 year system each, then to have a Pro version 3 years in. But I honestly don't think we will ever see a game system running 5+ years without a refresh anymore giving how fast technology moves nowadays. Cheers!

MHubert

I understand the argument perfectly. Let me ask you something. What is this oh so big leap that we experienced going from the PS3/X360 generation to the Xbox One/PS4 generation? As far as I'm aware, it was mostly a resolution bump with little else, especially in terms of gameplay. And what is the next big thing that everyone is talking about right now? Ray Tracing, i.e. another graphical upgrade with little innovation on the gameplay side.

Want to evolve the medium? Look at Hellblade, Minecraft, PUBG etc. The innovation is not coming from the big studios. All that we are getting is graphical upgrades from the AAA studios, and nothing else other than loot boxes and season passes. Graphics make games look nicer, but does not necessarily make them better. And if all we're getting is ray tracing and SSDs for fast loading, there is little reason to discount the older consoles, since they will be perfectly capable of playing the same games with less detail and lower resolutions.

Think I'm wrong? You're free to explain what is oh so great about the next consoles that the current ones can't do. Actually, that's too lenient. What great feature will these consoles be able to deliver us for the first two years after they're out, that the PS4 and Xbox One can't deliver? If developers are going to spend all their time developing money grabbing systems like season passes and loot boxes, they might as well put those resources into making the same game run on the older consoles. If the Switch can run Skyrim and The Witcher 3, I don't see how this is going to be an issue. And the PS4 Pro + PS4 and Xbox One, Xbox One S and Xbox One X are also already doing it.

Look, all I'm arguing is that if MS had a slew of next-gen exclusive AAA titles ready to dish out at launch, they wouldn't use their current rhethoric - That devs has to make a lot of compromises during development to meet their goals (being time -costs- or features) and that having a year of cross-gen exclusives hardly makes them more pro 'consumer choice', than not.

As for your examples, you might as well argue that Death Stranding could be made on PS1, which I guess it could in theory, but lets not kid ourselves pretending leaps in graphics doesn't have an impact in the zeitgeist of gaming. You and I know, deep inside, that it's pointless to discuss what gameplay could or could not have been designed around last and current gen (although, good luck making PUBG or Fortnite work with a netcode supporting a hundred players online in realtime on PS3/X360). Look at the launch of WiiU and tell me that differentiating new hardware from old isn't a big deal if you want to move a lot of units.
I'm not accusing MS of fucking up majorly or botching the launch of their new console, because as you point out, new hardware is not necessarily going to make big game companies more innovative. I am basically saying that I'm very excited what MS has up their sleeve, because as it stands now, they have made the XBSeX a hard sell to the core 'next-gen demographic' (the console buyers who wants the cutting edge), during its first year.

P.s.
SSD drives, not so much ray tracing, will enable the unseen console features you are asking for. No load times = not having to design you game around streaming assets from a HDD, which pretty much defines the limitations of last -and current gen.

Jtibh

Banned
You will always run into the issue of a generation being too long when you have mid-gen refresh. Even Nintendo, who is usually unaffected with generational fatigue due to their brilliant first-part games, needs to release hardware update to keep things fresh. Hopefully, Sony and MS will figure this next-gen out. I would rather them just release a 5-6 year system each, then to have a Pro version 3 years in. But I honestly don't think we will ever see a game system running 5+ years without a refresh anymore giving how fast technology moves nowadays. Cheers!
Agreed.
I too dont support midd gen refresh and i think it was all a test and also a low level effort to push 4k tv sales.
At this point and like you said rapid technological evolution , you can clearly see that even developers and console manufactures are tired and out of ideas to support these old systems.
No e3 cuz nothing to show etc.
5 year life cycle per gen is the most they should aim for.

And yes i know the transition phase is always a headache but the fact that there will be no x only title and all titles have to be on all platforms doesnt sound like we are transitioning at all.

mckmas8808

Banned
Excuse me? Having more options as consumers is entitlement? You know what's entitlement? Trying to marginalize the rest so that you can have the best. THAT is entitlement.

No one is saying older consoles should be supported forever. But there is nothing wrong with a transition phase.

What's wrong with wanting things the way they were for 35 successful console years? I don't mind a transition phase, but for some $100 million big-budget games; yes I'd like to see that game in its best light. Not downgraded just so an additional 100 million people can play it.

mrMUR_96

Euh ... I think this is proof that the Series X won't be held back by "no exclusives". They're complaining about performance on the Xbox One, pretty sure it's running fine on the One X.
but it still has to run on base xbox one. If one x can handle and base one can't, then it's clearly an issue for xsx.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
solution:

STADIA

play it early, without the downgrade.

finally, your killer app.

it is there waiting for them. M$ would be foolish not to try this.

Last edited:

mrMUR_96

Sounds pretty far fetched to me. The xbox an the ps4 while different, aren't THAT different. If it can't run on xbox "properly," whatever that actually means, it would be an issue all around.
It's likely xbox one's crappy memory bandwidth which is far lower than ps4's.

JLB

Banned
We now literally have an example of last gen consoles sapping resources and causing delays to a high profile title, but we will still have these armchair idiots going "hur dur cross gen pro-consumer, something something anti-consumer".

I wish I had less power to work with - said no developer ever.

one example with probably the most demanding game of current gen. your point is settled.

TeamGhobad

Banned
the difference between og xo and xbox s is only 0.09 tflops. does that really make that much of a difference? im thinking the problem is both.

Verchod

I know but we're all thinking it. And I bet CD Project wish they hadn't committed to it the current consoles.

Of course you're missing out on an enormous install base, but this game was always going to need powerful hardware to do it any justice.

In fact the the PC hardware that's around now and the potential spec of the next consoles are ideal for this kind of game and setting.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I said this in an old thread..... by I have a feeling 2077 is going to be either a 90+ rating game, or a mediocre 65-70er.

Some reason I get vibes it's not going to be a solid 84 kind of score.

skneogaf

Well duh. The 5+ months of delay will be for DOWNGRADES, not for "polishing" the game lol. Stupid fucking consoles ruining gaming like usual.

The downgrades are relevant to the particular console so will affect you only by the choice of platform you will play the game on, pc included.

I imagine a 9900k, 2080ti using nvme ssd will likely have to reduce some settings and the consoles aren't ruining it for that setup.

Because theres nothing to get excited about with these new consoles consoles are about to become like smart phones a whole bunch of upgrades that are marginally better. The last time the console gaming landscape was changed was with the 360 and ps3 and thats been a decade ago. There is almost 0 advancements in console gaming since then broken BR games, half baked motions controls, Sonys trying con with people with 3d tvs, ps VR tech demos, xbox game pass, none of that is exciting at all since almost all of those things are proof of concept models. Games have been getting worst as well instead of improving gamplay or A.i we now have devs wasting time on writting scripts and pushing graphics to the max. No amout of power is going to fix lazy devs. Even with VR we are still 2 decades out before we get anything on the level of a sword art online or player one.

Top Bottom