• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Debut Week Sales In Japan Predicted To Be Under 100K

"Cyberpunk 2077 debut week sales in Japan have been predicted to be under 100K. It puts it ahead of The Witcher 3 but beneath Horizon Zero Dawn.

Cyberpunk 2077 will be out on December 10. It is releasing in Japan as well where it is rated Cero Z. This is the highest adult rating given to a game in Japan and basically limits to anyone over the age of 18. Japan prohibits a lot of sexual and graphic content in the game so the game will be heavily censored even if it has been given a Cero Z rating.

According to the official Cero website, they have a code of ethics that has strict requirements for things that have to be removed from a game to pass certification in Japan. This includes “expression of genitals and parts thereof (including pubic hair),” and “expression of a sexual intercourse or sexual-intercourse-associated embracing, caressing, etc.” These are commonplace in Cyberpunk 2077 so they are likely removed from the game.

Despite the censorship for nudity, the game appears to have done well and currently lists as the best-seller on Amazon Japan for PS4. Cyberpunk 2077 is also a best-seller on Amazon USA which is not a big surprise since it is currently being offered for $49.94 instead of the full price.

Game Data Library on Twitter has shared a prediction of the debut week sales of Cyberpunk 2077 putting the game’s opening week under 100k. This is subject to how well the game is received by the critics, and if the reviews are solid, the sales could potentially go over 100K and beyond. For comparison, The Witcher 3 opened to under 70K on PS4 while Sony’s Horizon Zero Dawn debut was a little under 110K. One of the recent success stories from a Western developer is Ghost of Tsushima, which has done really well in Japan.

While Cyberpunk 2077 is one of the most anticipated games in the West, it is also poised to do well in Japan. It might not end up creating a new sales record there, but this is still a good result for a game that is a new IP in Japan.

Japan isn't as big on first person shooters, even though this isn't just a first person shooter...

cultural taste in games is always interesting, I'll play japanese and third person games all day, but I'll do the same with fps's that are good. So I get a little confused when someone acts like they can't play one of the choices at all.

I could never imagine letting a title that looks like cyberpunk slip away just because it's first person. It clearly looks a head above most other titles, if not every one this year.

Last edited:

Regis

It will be interesting to see where Cyberpunk lands with its first weekend revenue

GTA V: 1000+ Million
Fallout 4: 750+ Million
RDR2: 725 Million
Modern Warfare: 600 Million
Black Ops 3: 550 Million
Halo 4: 250+ Million

Ol'Scratch

Considering the next gen console user base currently as well as the numbers of actual PC gamers in Japan that really is not surprising.
It has nothing to do with weeb trash, which is kind of honestly just stupid as fuck to say.
This is a game that you really have to go next gen for, especially after seeing play vids. It may have legs but the initial push will be slow.

Last edited:
Why bother with thins kind of prediction? Just wait 10 days and tell me the actual number.

And if they are predicting that it will be ahead of Witcher 3 sales then I guess that's pretty good.

My prediction is that it will sell more in the first week than this guys prediction!

Blond

Banned
Japan isn't as big on first person shooters, even though this isn't just a first person shooter...

cultural taste in games is always interesting, I'll play japanese and third person games all day, but I'll do the same with fps's that are good. So I get a little confused when someone acts like they can't play one of the choices at all.

I could never imagine letting a title that looks like cyberpunk slip away just because it's first person. It clearly looks a head above most other titles, if not every one this year.

if they can’t see the animu and mango waifus and gender bender boyfriend’s it’s just not worth it smh

Bodomism

Banned
Top 5 best selling games in Japan in this Generation (PS4, XBO, WiiU, NSW) physical sales.

1. Animal Crossing - 6 million units
2. Smash Ultimate - 3.8 million units
3. Pokemon SwSh - 3.8 million units
4. Splatoon 2 - 3.6 million units
5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 3.2 million units

Top 5 best selling games in Japan in this Generation (PS4, XBO, WiiU, NSW) physical sales.

1. Animal Crossing - 6 million units
2. Smash Ultimate - 3.8 million units
3. Pokemon SwSh - 3.8 million units
4. Splatoon 2 - 3.6 million units
5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 3.2 million units

yeah that's pretty much sums up, what type of games are preferred in japan

Senua

I'm shocked, they love virtual coitus! I suppose the women in Cyberpunk are a bit too old looking though :messenger_poop:

56565655656xvji1.gif

Bodomism

Banned
I'm shocked, they love virtual coitus! I suppose the women in Cyberpunk are a bit too old looking though :messenger_poop:

56565655656xvji1.gif
Weeb trash stuffs usually are very niche even on Japanese market.

Japanese best selling games are also popular on Worldwide market too.

1. ACNH
2. Smash Ultimate
3. Pokemon SwSh
4. Splatoon 2
5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
6. Super mario Odyssey
7. Monster Hunter World
8. Pokemon Let's Go
9. Zelda BOTW
10. RingFit Adventure

Only Minecraft could compete against those games in Japan. Other western games are pretty much irrelevant there.

waquzy

It will be interesting to see where Cyberpunk lands with its first weekend revenue

GTA V: 1000+ Million
Fallout 4: 750+ Million
RDR2: 725 Million
Modern Warfare: 600 Million
Black Ops 3: 550 Million
Halo 4: 250+ Million

I’m guessing 500 million

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I would watch a documentary where various official censors/ratings boards around the world discuss Cyberpunk.

Its just strange, i gotta give it to the west at least...we play everything. They simply wont lol

A good looking game is a good looking game. An ambitious game is noteworthy to us, im not down with this "we play this type of stuff" energy, as someone who appreciates japanese media also.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Japanese don't really like this type of stuff.

Yeah Japanese gamers were complaining about Demon's Souls on 2ch calling it a "gaijin game" so I can't imagine Cyberpunk will fair any better.

Mentat02

Banned
CDPR should have put a popular idol girl singer in the game and watch the 40 to 50 year old simps flock to the game like honeybees.

mcjmetroid

Japanese gamers have pretty shocking in taste in fairness.

No region is perfect but we're far more willing to give Japanese games a chance rather than them giving a western game a chance.

Bodomism

Banned
CDPR should have put a popular idol girl singer in the game and watch the 40 to 50 year old simps flock to the game like honeybees.
This is so wrong on so many levels

Tokyo Mirage Session encore flopped so hard despite having the idol weeb stuff and sold only 27K copies lol.
ecd58bb748f70e097d36883d2bfa8e6d.jpg

tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-encore-080.jpg

While this game is going to sell around 4 million copies in Japan next year

zp-278838_Monster-Hunter-Rise_2020_10-06-20_012.jpg

zp-278830_Monster-Hunter-Rise_2020_10-06-20_002.jpg

Last edited:

Shouta

Japan used to be the ones who were cool with sexy stuff. What happened?

They'd probably be into the sexy stuff if they weren't suffering from motion sickness. Can't enjoy sexy if you're suffering!

But seriously, FPS isn't terribly popular over there and even if it isn't like other games, it definitely looks like it, heh.

Tokyo Mirage Session encore flopped so hard despite having the idol weeb stuff and sold only 27K copies lol.

If you're talking about the Switch version, it flopped because it was based off the edited US version of the game. JP didn't want that, lol. It actually caused a spike in the original release's sales because of it I think

Mentat02

Banned

ecd58bb748f70e097d36883d2bfa8e6d.jpg

tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-encore-080.jpg

While this game is going to sell around 4 million copies in Japan next year

1_MHRISE_Multiplayer_ss01.jpg

1_MHRISE_Multiplayer_ss02.jpg
I'm talking about motion capturing real idol girls into the game. There are girl groups in Japan that sell thousands of tickets for $300 USD just to shake hands for 15 seconds.

Bodomism

Banned
They'd probably be into the sexy stuff if they weren't suffering from motion sickness. Can't enjoy sexy if you're suffering!

But seriously, FPS isn't terribly popular over there and even if it isn't like other games, it definitely looks like it, heh.

If you're talking about the Switch version, it flopped because it was based off the edited US version of the game. JP didn't want that, lol. It actually caused a spike in the original release's sales because of it I think
Even the original released had flopped back then.

Rentahamster Rentahamster actually im curious now....i already own cyberpunk and have it downloaded...if my coe comes through soon and i end up moving to Tokyo...do i retain all my games..will they be locked if they are incompatible with the new region? For new games is there a way around it..i know vpns are discouraged on steam because you can get banned..is there a way around it? Is there anything you do?

Last edited:
Top Bottom