• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Better than Witcher 3

Amiga

Launch was a disaster everyone on the planet agrees. This is about the content of the game post new gen version.

CDPR improved massively over the Witcher 3. The storytelling was just as good with better animations. The plot was properly sophisticated to match the Sci-Fi setting. The script was professional and made Keanu Reeves seem like a decent actor. The endings were meaningfully different. The music was perfectly melded, evocative tunes matching the proper moments. The City was colorful, beautiful with diverse settings. the The gameplay wasn't Doom or Eden Ring but was one of the best in a mainstream guns&cars open world game. Much better and compelling than Farcry or GTA.

Confidant CDPR will make a big rebound. Can't wait for their next game.

Bartski

Gold Member
The script was professional and made Keanu Reeves seem like a decent actor.

The gameplay was one of the best in a mainstream guns&cars open world game. Much better and compelling than Farcry or GTA.

laugh jordan GIF

Denton

I don't consider it better than Witcher 3, but it is in some aspects more extensive (specifically gameplay is more varied with more meaningfully different builds possible - of course this limitation in Witcher stems from it being a game about, you know, Witcher). In other aspects it is slightly weaker (there not as many memorable sidemissions in Cyberpunk as there are in Witcher 3).

Both are fantastic games overall and I love how different they are. Shame about the premature release and the decision to release lastgen versions.

When compared to GTA, I actually agree Cyberpunk has more enjoyable gameplay mechanics. It has better gunplay, it has proper stealth, hacking, pretty good car physics.

FarCry is probably even stronger, but it's a shooter, so it is highly deficient in other areas compared to Cyberpunk (such as storytelling).

Last edited:

DZ_b_EZ

I whole heartily agree. It was personally my dream come true (mostly). I beat that game within a month, whereas with The Witcher 3, I still haven't beaten it seven years later. It's a good game, it's just a bit long in the tooth and I think I started to get tired of the Aryan medieval setting. CP2077 just felt like a breath of fresh air for me as far as the setting is involved. The story and characters were really good. The ray tracing is incredible. It's the best game I've ever played.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yeah I really liked the combat. Once it all clicks I was poisoning crowds from stealth then running in and decapitating everyone with my surgically implanted arm swords.

Bartski

Gold Member
When compared to GTA, I actually agree Cyberpunk has more enjoyable gameplay mechanics.
I don't hate the game at all. I just think it's funny 'cause comparing it to GTA is the one can of worms you don't really want to open.

Bankai

I though Cyberpunk was really good, but also quite shallow. I was never really invested in the storylines, although I did enjoy lots of em. Though, compared to other RPGs like Deus Ex, Bioshock and even Fallout New Vegas, it falls flat.
Witcher 3 felt way more substantial in that regard. Still remember certain sidequests to this day, the the one with the dead kid.

Josemayuste

Agreed with OP, even tough it might be a pretty controversial opinion

I think the same, combat, how you approach combat and the diverse options that the game has in store in that regard, hacking, stealth, etc. gunplay, weapon variety, character upgrades through implants, cyberprostetics, this game is leagues ahead of The Witcher 3 (and I love that f.. game) but a troubled development can't hurt some of Cyberpunk's strenghts, and must not.

If I start talking about quests.. environmental storytelling etc.. I could fill a whole OT dedicated to Cyberpunk and why I think it's better.

It was not a bad game by any means.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Playing through CP2077 now. It is not nearly as good as Witcher 3. The story is a bit on the boring side. The open world has no soul. The characters are not nearly as memorable. The gameplay is OK.
With CP2077 I just want to finish and be done with the game. With Witcher 3 I may still go back and replay it another time (already done 2 40-50 playthroughs).
CP2077 is technically impressive and what's there is interesting enough to keep going, but as a game it lands around the 8/10 range for me where is Witcher 3 is more of 9-10 level masterpiece.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
I think the story and characters are right at the same level of the Witcher 3, the gameplay is better than the Witcher 3. But the Witcher 3 is a better rpg. Both have mediocre stuff too.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
in a lot of ways yeah Cyberpunk is the better game. CDPR learned a lot between games. Cyberpunk has flaws but I was impressed with how well they done.

I'm excited for the inevitable Cyberpunk sequel. Seems like "Witcher 4" is next but hopefully "Cyberpunk 2" is right after that :)

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
It is legit a top 3 most amazing videogame experiences ever.

The pros outweigh the cons by several orders of magnitude, it is an incredible accomplishment in videogaming. The visuals, style, design, music, atmosphere are overwhelmingly superb.

I wish I could shake hands with everyone involved in making this game.

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I played all the way through 2077 but just never felt connected to the world, versus Witcher 3 where I just felt completely enthralled by the story and the characters and the lore.

I honestly think the first person versus 3rd person had a lot to do with it for me. I love being able to see my character in story driven games.

Denton

I don't hate the game at all. I just think it's funny 'cause comparing it to GTA is the one can of worms you don't really want to open.
I don't see why. One can look at both games dispassionately and compare their strenghts and weaknesses. It is obvious GTA rules when it comes to its open world pedestrian AI and reactivity for example, where Cyberpunk is much weaker. Rockstar have been making city-based action games for decades and tuned their engine to perfection at portraying it, while for CDP this was their first attempt. But still, Cyberpunk has stronger narrative and branching as well as some gameplay mechanics.

I pity everyone who cannot enjoy both these great games.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I enjoyed the Witcher 3, more than CP2077, mostly because of the characters and story.

Gameplay better than GTA, I have to agree. GTA driving is better than in CP 2077. But combat in GTA sucks, compared to CP 2077.
Both melee and shooting are so much better in CP 2077.

killatopak

Better than Witcher 3 worse than Witcher 2. 2077bis ana amazing game. Ppl just like to shit over it for the shitty launch.
I had a good time with CP2077. I just can't in good consciousness rate it high knowing my experience isn't indicative of everybody else's.

At least with Witcher 3, the baseline is good enough that everybody has the same experience and for the most part a lot of peope enjoyed it very much.

Launch was a disaster everyone on the planet agrees. This is about the content of the game post new gen version.

CDPR improved massively over the Witcher 3. The storytelling was just as good with better animations. The plot was properly sophisticated to match the Sci-Fi setting. The script was professional and made Keanu Reeves seem like a decent actor. The endings were meaningfully different. The music was perfectly melded, evocative tunes matching the proper moments. The City was colorful, beautiful with diverse settings. the The gameplay wasn't Doom or Eden Ring but was one of the best in a mainstream guns&cars open world game. Much better and compelling than Farcry or GTA.

Confidant CDPR will make a big rebound. Can't wait for their next game.
drive off 50 cent GIF

Braag

I liked them both a lot. Hard to choose but I might edge out with TW3 because I've read all the books and love that world so much.

To me CP2077 had OK story but not even close to gripping as W3. In W3 you wanted to do the most random side quests just because it would take you to places even more fun than the main story.

Mozzarella

How is it better? i know its an opinion and you are entitled to it, but everything you just wrote is done WAY better in Witcher 3, like every aspect of the game.
You did explain what you liked about it but you didnt explain how it was better.

For me, factoring in budget, development time, hype, what it tries to do and what it ended up achieving, post-launch support, expansions. All those factors adding to my personal preference makes Witcher 3 an easy choice for the better game.

1) 80M$ vs 300M$
2) 4 years vs 8 years
3) ok/average triple A hype vs massive GTA 5 levels of hype
4) Tries to be medieval grey moral fantasy inspired my slavic folklore, a continuation of novel saga and third in a trilogy, main job is to tell stories through quests that flesh out the world and promises to give the player immersive role playing in Geralt's shoes VS Sci-Fi Cyberpunk modern metropolis about dystopian future, tries to be deep rpg according to marketing and class system but fails, tries to tell stories about human relation and dystopian future but falls short, marketed to be a fleshed out city bustling with life but failed, claims to be next gen open world experience but fails and has worse world than farcry.
5) Fixes most major issues 1-2 months within launch, released big meaty story driven expansion that is 10-15 hours with some of the best writing in the video games history, releases 30-40 hours content DLC that feels like a sequel and regarded the best DLC ever made with 16 free dlc all in a span of 1 year! VS a jacket and a car and bug fixes that FINALLY reached a stable state AFTER 2 YEARS!!
6) Personal preference: A better, more meaningful and consistent story and better side quests, better enemy variety and even better a.i, more inspired and iconic soundtrack and world compliments narrative and better romances and characters. VS a rushed story with prologue that means NOTHING, a relationship with a character told in a 5 min cutscene flashback, kind of episodic act 2 with forgettable characters except 2, worse villains, OST that is less iconic, terrible radio music, lackluster and lifeless city, gangs that are set dressing and has no difference between others except for clothes, worse Gigs compared to contracts, less interesting main character, forced out buddy who is Johnny that imho under-performed and generally side quests that felt unfinished or anti-climactic (dream on)

The problem with Cyberpunk 2077 is that the developers (aside from the known fuck ups) tried to implement what worked with Witcher 3 to Cyberpunk and imo it didnt work and even exposed the previous issues Witcher 3 had that managed to hide, so i would call that an amateur mistake by them, they thought Witcher 3 succeeded so that it gives them green light to simply cut and paste most design choices to Cyberpunk and it ended up biting them in the ass, one of those examples is the skill trees and the class system, it seems in W3 its acceptable due to Geralt being a Witcher and the system was already implemented from the start so saying faithful to the source and OG principles is seen as ok, but Cyberpunk skill system which is similar in a way, was seen as a bad thing, because it does NOT take advantage of the character creator system, nor it does present a fluid or deep rpg mechanics system, this in turn makes the flaw itself much more apparent and annoying.

Anyway, that's just my opinion, and i appreciate that you liked it more, i think Cyberpunk is not a bad game and it deserves some love after its disaster, i dont share your opinion and i thought i owe you an explanation as to why i disagree.

Lets hope for a good expansion. 🙏

Fallout 4 is a better game. That's how bad CP is
Hey, Fallout 4 is not a bad game, its just decent enough, i think people treat it way too harsh.
New Vegas > 2 > 1 > 3 > 4 > 76 > Shelter
Fallout 4 had a great open world and the gameplay feels fun, the mods make it a much desirable purchase and i think its better than The Outer Worlds for example.
Fallout 4 is like Dragon Age Inquisition, its not a bad game but fails to live up to its franchise.
After i finished Cyberpunk 2077 i thought it was better than Fallout 4 but now i think i would give both a decent 3/5

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Cyberpunk is just an average game so the comparison ends there. They tried to focus on so many things the game became an unbalanced nightmare. Useless skills. A map filled with marks it beats old AssCreed titles (Valhalla fixed this thankfully).

The game can’t be fixed with patches as the game problems go beyond simple glitches and QoL.

Top Bottom