• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Currently, what's your opinion on Jak II and Jak 3 in retrospect? Good? Bad?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Loved all of them, would love a sequel that is 100% open world to make it standout from Ratchet and Clank. Could work as an RPG as well like Zelda and Genshin.

They were the brother series of R&C. For anyone here I recommend looking into dev videos or finding the dev levels of Ratchet 2 and 3. Insomniac explains a lot about how these two dev teams(Them and Naughty Dog) were rivals under Sony yet helped each other excel, they used the same engine, and would trade tips and try to outdo each other with each sequel. Eventually Naughty Dog went down their own path but those were fun times while it lasted.

Both Ratchet 2 and 3 and Jak 2 and 3 were incredible games.
Yes, I'm aware of their interplay. So call it a sibling rivalry.

Fwiw, I've enjoyed all the games in both series, but Jak (for me) was always a notch below R&C. R&C is an all-time great franchise in my book.

jigglet

Banned
I've never played a Jak, but as an outsider my view is it followed the Prince of Persia trajectory - it started as a fun-going stylised game, and then tried to become a darker, more mature game that it never should have been.

If they gave Mario a gun I'd check the fuck out. There are many series that do not need to have a "darker" side.

Last edited:

McCarth

I loved and still love the original.

I loved 2 and 3 when they released, and while I still enjoy them, they really haven't aged well. 2's erratic difficulty spikes in particular feel ancient nowadays.

GymWolf

Played half of jak2 and bailed out, never touched jak 3 so you can make your own conclusion.

Strange because as today i love far more shooting than platforming so i would probably like the sequels...

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I've never played a Jak, but as an outsider my view is it followed the Prince of Persia trajectory - it started as a fun-going stylised game, and then tried to become a darker, more mature game that it never should have been.

If they gave Mario a gun I'd check the fuck out. There are many series that do not need to have a "darker" side.
He had a gun/beam cannon in Mario Rabbid Kingdom.

636395441969890441-Mario-MRKB.jpg

And different gun types

maxresdefault.jpg

And they still kept it colorful and fun. Guns don't make a game dark, edginess does.

Also to ask a troubling question in my head, is Fludd technically a gun that shoots water? 🤔

jigglet

Banned
And they still kept it colorful and fun. Guns don't make a game dark, edginess does.

Also to ask a troubling question in my head, is Fludd technically a gun that shoots water? 🤔

Well I didn't mean it literally. You get the point I was trying to make. If it's a kiddy / colourful / whimsical game, it's totally ok to embrace that. My favourite game is Rainbow Six Siege - a competitive shooter. Yet I will clear my calendar without hesitation for a new Mario game - a diametrically different game. I want Mario to stay Mario. Just like I think Jak should stay Jak. No need to transform it into something it's not.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Well I didn't mean it literally. You get the point I was trying to make. If it's a kiddy / colourful / whimsical game, it's totally ok to embrace that. My favourite game is Rainbow Six Siege - a competitive shooter. Yet I will clear my calendar without hesitation for a new Mario game - a diametrically different game. I want Mario to stay Mario. Just like I think Jak should stay Jak. No need to transform it into something it's not.
The weird thing about saying Jak should stay Jak is that in the first game he was a near silent protagonist. The second and third games actually injected a personality in him lol. I think that's what adds to the split fanbase. Also the third game finds a good middle ground between the first and second.

Fahdis

I will say they didn't space out most of the city which makes me wonder if the vehicles were an after thought. Some areas like the larger area where you meet krill are fine but most of the city is a bit bumpy. It wouldn't be that bad if there weren't missions that involve quick driving or not taking hits.

In some cases changing to hovering at ground level under the traffic helps but because the ground is also filled with people and guards (and sometimes objects) you might either still bump into things, though not as often, or the most likely scenario, hit a guard.

You should play it and see how you like it, I know it's polarizing but there's still elements of the first game in there.

Trust me bro. Playing it now and half way done. Everything in this game is maximum pain. I don't even understand why people like it. I just got the airboard and am about to traverse that huge as Air Temple place. I literally have put the game down for 2 weeks not wanting to go through it.

In contrast Jak 1 is heaven.

honestly the city being difficult to traverse is sort of part of the gameplay. you can look at it like a pain but realistically it spices things up. even if it was partly due to technical limitations at the time, i think i still would have wanted the city to be designed as difficult and windey as it is should they have had the freedom to do whatever.

all the j&d games were great, honestly naughty dog needs to quit fucking around and make some more j&d before mike erwin and max casella get too old. this series is literally a goldmine waiting to be tapped and they're just sitting on it.

The way the city is literally made is to annoy you due to technical limitations. I am trying so hard not to dislike J&D because I played the 1st one when I was a kid and loved it and had that feeling again going for the platinum. This second one is like Prince of Persia: WW. Everyone had to be a badass dark hero then.

RAIDEN1

Couldn't get into the game when I had it on PS3...never looked at it since...(any of the jak and Daxters) however Ratchet and Clank...

Shakka43

Jak 2 was a good game with some major flaws like an awful check point system and the city being way too narrow for proper vehicle navigation. The third one mostly fixed these flaws and I liked it more for that.
The first one was definitely my favorite but I did like the darker tone from the sequels and Jak having a voice was certainly an improvement.

Last edited:
Top Bottom