• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek Releases Hardware-Agnostic Raytracing Benchmark "Neon Noir"

llien

Crytek today released the final build for their hardware-agnostic raytracing benchmark. Dubbed Neon Noir, the benchmark had already been showcased in video form back in March 2019, but now it's finally available for download for all interested parties from the Crytek Marketplace. The benchmark currently doesn't support any low-level API such as Vulkan or DX 12, but support for those - and the expected performance improvements - will be implemented in the future.

Neon Noir has its raytracing chops added via an extension of CRYENGINE's SVOGI rendering tool that currently Crytek's games use, including Hunt: Showdown, which will make it easier for developers to explore raytracing implementations that don't require a particular hardware implementation (such as RTX). However, the developer has added that they will add hardware acceleration support in the future, which should only improve performance, and will not add any additional rendering features compared to those that can be achieved already. What are you waiting for? Just follow the link below.

System requirements:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2500X CPU/Core i7-8700
  • AMD Vega 56 8 GB VRAM/NVIDIA GTX 1070 8 GB VRAM
  • 16 GB System Ram
  • Win 10 x64
  • DX11

TechPowerUp

bilderberg

Maybe you have a great GPU.
Sure, a gtx 1080 is still good, but If i try playing quake 2 rtx i'm lucky if i hit 20 frames, and that's below 720p. Here i'm 80+ just about all the time. I bet the technology in this bench only works because it is so artist driven and curated. Like i bet if I could explore this space i'd be able to spot all the tricks. So i don't know how applicable this is in games like rtx ray tracing.

Thanks

This benchmark ran way better then any RTX game I've played.

Is Nvidia RTX a fucking scam? Even if MAYBE it's not on the same quality, it's still ray tracing and it ran beautifully.

Last edited:
Thanks

This benchmark ran way better then any RTX game I've played.

Is Nvidia RTX a fucking scam? Even if MAYBE it's not on the same quality, it's still ray tracing and it ran beautifully.
MAYBE not the same quality??

lmao... this is basic shit compared to what Nvidia and other games are doing... Mirrored reflections are the least computationally intensive form of reflection. There's no reflections on diffused surfaces where light would bounce off in all different directions.

It's very simplistic comparatively.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I did a Ultra vs Very High comparison at 1080p on Ryzen 1600 + RX 480 8GB:

Ultra vs Very High:
NNUltravsVeryHighpn.png

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
It's using the SVOGI technique. It's only used on surfaces with mirror reflections. This article is really leading people astray. It's not the same thing as RTX -- at all.

1) The reflections are only mirror
2) They fade away as the camera moves away from the reflective surface
3) No blurred reflections using importance sampling
4) No ray-traced diffuse bounced light or environment sky lighting
5) No soft shadows
6) No emissive lighting (i.e. area lights)
7) No ambient occlusion

etc.. etc.. etc..

Don't get excited over this..

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
DF's testing of the Neon Noir benchmark with a nice breakdown of the tech. Turing looks to be much more capable than it's Navi counterpart, with the 2060 Super scoring a ~20% win over the 5700 XT, even without use of it's RTX hardware features.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Top Bottom