• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek has paid €140000 for using Denuvo in Crysis Remastered for one year

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
1200px-Denuvo_vector_logo.svg.png

A lot of PC gamers have been wondering why game developers wait for a whole year before removing the Denuvo anti-tamper tech from their cracked games. And today, we may finally have an answer to that question. According to some leaked documents, most game developers are paying Denuvo/Irdeto a one-year fee for using this anti-tamper tech.

In case you weren’t aware of, ransomware gang “Egregor” leaked data it has obtained from the internal networks of Crytek in October 2020. These documents leaked Crysis 2 Remastered and Crysis 3 Remastered. They also leaked Crytek’s future development plans. And, according to these documents, Crytek has paid €140000 for using Denuvo in Crysis Remasted for one year.

According to the agreement between Denuvo and Crytek, the fee would be lowered to €126000 in case the game came out prior to its initial release date. That initial release date was March 31st, 2021.
After the initial 12 months, Crytek must pay €2000 for each and every month. Crytek must also pay €60000 extra fee for products that receive over 500000 unique activations in 30 days.

unknown.png

Additionally, Crytek will have to pay €10000 extra fee for each storefront. Thus, if Crysis Remastered on Steam has Denuvo, Crytek will have to pay that additional amount of money.

What we also find interesting here is the extensive “piracy” support that Denuvo offers. According to the documents, Denuvo scans for piracy releases and informs the developers/publishers. Moreover, it provides manual piracy monitoring. Not only that, but it provides manual profiling of the game for performance uncritical functions (when using this anti-tamper tech).

Lastly, these leaked documents confirm, once again, Crysis 2 Remastered. According to them, Crysis 2 Remastered will also use Denuvo, and will be timed-exclusive on Epic Games Store.

Last edited:

Md Ray

For me was the flop of the year. PS4 version don't even get a patch since the launch.
For perf issues? It won't get fixed. The CPU is crap.

Only way to play at locked 60fps is to go PS5, but then again even on PS5, there's a checkpoint stutter which they can address in a patch. But they won't.

Miles708

That's not that surprising, isn't it? In recent years more and more businesses in the tech space moved to a monthly/yearly business model, and deals between big corporations only happen for 100k+ dollars

I guess the news is the additional fee for every extra marketplace, and for the 30-days activations threshold.

I wonder how much this makes sense on an economic level, once you factor in the loss in sales for people waiting for a patch and the PR hit.

Crisis is a game aimed to a pretty hardcore tech audience, that gets easily irritated by these things.

Last edited:

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Probably better to just pocket that cash. Delusional publishers.

If a year is the minimum (is it?), then Denuvo is such a scam. It usually gets cracked within 30 days, give or take, so not much reason for a dev/pub to use it for longer than that.

martino

i so regret not waiting now that i've seen in a link in your article horizon will release on GOG
what a good move.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I think the original looks better in many places, I think the remaster has more technically accurate lighting, shadows, materials, etc but who gaf if it doesn't actually look as good overall.

They dun goofed on this one imo if you can play the PC version, but ignore me if you are playing for the first time on console though, its still a lovely looking game.

Kadve

Waste of money since all games are cracked. A pirate is going to pirate no matter what.

Personally i want companies to start embracing the Stardock policy when it comes to DRM. Don't bother with it as that means you've lost the free marketing that piracy would otherwise create, not to mention piss off people that would torrent the game in order to try it and then buy it for real if they ended up liking it.

(There is also a sad/funny story attached to that. After dismissing DRM as "customer unfriendly" in an article, StarForce responded by Posting Torrent links (!) of Galactic Civilizations II and threatened to sue them for slandering. Needless to say, the later never happened and Stardock ended up thanking them for the former as it again, spread the game to wider audience that might not otherwise have heard about it)

Last edited:
Top Bottom