• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crystal Dynamics has announced it is now developing the next TOMB RAIDER

Fake

59fd66a281dcf2f8d04994bf9614b265.gif

Giraffe Raider

Tarkus98

MS hired Crystal Dynamics to do full production while the 50 odd devs at Initiative lead the project.
Thank you for the clarification. You and 2 or 3 others have filled me in and i appreciate the info. It just took me a while to roll that damn rock off me that I've been living under. I do now remember a few people splitting from the Initiative not long ago. I actually appreciate Microsoft setting up CD as a support team in lieu of canceling or adding a huge delay to the game.
Since the Initiative is such a new team this may become a good opportunity for them to gel as a group as well as gaining additional knowledge from CD. Even though they are a mix of veteran talents they can view this as a chance to solidify the group and be a better developer as a result. But hey, that’s just my management style speaking here. I believe there’s always something to be gained in these kinds of situations.
Ugh, fucking wall of useless text

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
^that plastic lara with pointy tits and ginormous boobs look so fake and ridiculous and only good for costplay

Aint no way that outfit is comfortable for survival in the jungle

The curent crystal dynamics lara are far superior to that
yCbiYBp.jpg

They just need to improve the graphics for the next game
A different team did Shadow
I prefer that version, a little more meat on her in the right places.
It just the whole trilogy story and Lara's personality sucks.

V4skunk

Banned
They just started ?? Ffs this gen gonna sucks waiting for big games on unreal engine 5. See you guys in 2025

And no. I don’t count ps4/Xbox one games on ps5/series x a next gen games . Including halo and horizon forbidden banana
Lol they have been making it for years already most likely.
They only revealed its on ue5 because ue5 just officially released like yesterday.....

Sygma

Given how bad Rise was and forgettable Shadow was, zero hope for this one

CD made the same story three times in different settings and oddly enough all the set pieces in TR 2013 are vastly superior to anything done in the sequels (not technically speaking of course, just the variety)

Last edited:
So every fucking big game is not using their in house game engine anymore & are switching to UE5 i don't know how to feel about that
UE5 looks amazing but we are gone to lose so much when every game is gone to be running on UE5 only which sucks
Epic will have a monopoly on Games Engine

CosmicComet

So every fucking big game is not using their in house game engine anymore & are switching to UE5 i don't know how to feel about that
UE5 looks amazing but we are gone to lose so much when every game is gone to be running on UE5 only which sucks
Epic will have a monopoly on Games Engine
UE3 may have sucked because of the bald marines meme. But every UE after that has been good. So internationally accessible.

If it helps makes games come out faster that's great.

UE4 was very versatile and could accommodate a wide variety of art styles.

In the end we play games. Not engines. If UE5 makes jobs easier then good.

UE3 may have sucked because of the bald marines meme. But every UE after that has been good. So internationally accessible.

If it helps makes games come out faster that's great.

UE4 was very versatile and could accommodate a wide variety of art styles.

In the end we play games. Not engines. If UE5 makes jobs easier then good.
I disagree if let say for example Rockstar decide to switch to UE5 for the next GTA & Red Dead it means Epic will have won they will rake in billions

Hopefully they’ll stop trying to knock off horrible “cinematic” games and return to the adventure and puzzle solving of the originals.

Keep that pain moaning though xoxo

Corndog

Banned
The Initiative has been having issues retaining employees. So Microsoft and Square Enix agreed to have Crystal Dynamics assist them with development. It sounds like they're doing the heavy lifting for now until The Initiative can get more people internally.
That may or may not be the reason. Let’s not treat speculation as fact.

Varteras

Gold Member
That may or may not be the reason. Let’s not treat speculation as fact.
It's certainly not speculation that The Initiative has lost a lot of people and is trying to rebuild its staff. I know you don't have a big developer step in to help you develop your game unless you severely lack the ability to do the heavy lifting yourself.

Neolombax

To be honest, playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider killed of any interest I had for the series. A very well made game, but the longer I played, the more bored I became. There was too much bloat I think, between the optional dungeons to the upgrading of your gear. I know you can just skip ahead to the story missions, but I'm the type of person who will always try and complete content once they appear in game before doing the core stuff. It became too much of a chore.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Look. I am glad that the industry went all super realistic, dark and gritty Nolan reboot in the 2010s, but it's time to go back to the series roots. For ALL games. Give me dragons. Give me dual wielding pistols. Give me big tits and shorts. Give me a fucking slut who jerks off while taking showers like Angelina Jolie did in the movies.

90s were a true progressive era. Lesbian lovers in Fatal Frame. Sluts leads in Tomb Raider and Resident Evil 3. Whores in Dead or Alive. Let's give the power back to the women and embrace the sexual revolution.

We had our fun in 2000s and 2010s with super realistic storylines, characters and gameplay. All very boring and unfun. And it culminated with Abby. A joyless brute that epitomizes what it was like to play games in the 2010s.

New gen. New decade. New engine. Lets make games great again.

Last edited:

YuLY

Do we really need another one? Cant people come up with something new? These didnt even sell that well according to Square Enix, so why continue

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I love the optimism from some in this thread that you actually think this will in any way be a return to the classic Tomb Raider formula.

Of course it won’t.

Tomb Raider was a masterpiece of atmosphere, art design, and a mentality of ‘less is more’. Does anyone seriously think that in 2022, from the people who made The Avengers, that we’re getting anything like that?

It’ll be bombastic, linear, overblown, overwrought, and full of micro transactions. It’ll also try to ape whatever the most popular game format is at the moment, because they have no idea how to actually make a Tomb Raider game.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Do we really need another one? Cant people come up with something new? These didnt even sell that well according to Square Enix, so why continue
Tomb Raider is too big of a brand. It will never die. They‘ll reboot it, if it doesn’t work, they‘ll just reboot it again until it does.

cireza

Not looking forward to it. I have recently replayed the first game on Saturn. A timeless masterpiece.

After doing this, I realized that even the first reboot in the trilogy is poop. Not even talking about the bloated work simulators that were the two sequels.

I have zero faith that they can capture the essence of Tomb Raider again. It is most probably going to be another game with shit to pick-up every two steps, useless crafting, skill trees, absurd cut-scenes and a laughingly bad story.

And I think they had some pretty decent sales numbers with this "modern action game" formula anyway.

Last edited:

Filben

Great, now make her less whiny, have her daddy issues solved and kick ass.

Actually liked the gameplay very much, but story and character was meh.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i never bothered with the last one. it's all the same old shit. maybe they will try something different this time? or are we going to get another story where lara cries about her dad, goes to find a hidden artifact/city, and has to get there before some evil private military/religious cult?

also they should model lara on Alicia Vikander. she's the best lara croft.

iu

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

They won't do it but make it an actual survival game with complex level design like the first one. If they chase Uncharted yet again i'll pass. Tomb Raider could differentiate itself by being an actual tomb raiding game with tough encounters, puzzles, and dungeon crawling.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I would fully be behind this scenario….

It’s not Laura but Laura’s half black son Terry who takes up an adventure after getting word of his mother’s demise … just announce that for a few months and watch the twidiots fume!! … but then we find out he’s not only gay but trans and takes up not only the Croft mantle but also his mothers skimpy outfits!! … with the big twist being that his mother isn’t dead after all but is disgusted and does not approve of his lifestyle and ends up being the final boss of the game… which he beats but then as he is getting off the plane back home two redneck cops kill him for being half black.
Twidiots cheer and give it 10 out 10 across the board, then the series finally dies of lack of sales.

Corndog

Banned
It's certainly not speculation that The Initiative has lost a lot of people and is trying to rebuild its staff. I know you don't have a big developer step in to help you develop your game unless you severely lack the ability to do the heavy lifting yourself.
The had people leave. The rest of your statement is made up unless you have a source for it.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
Hopefully what they mean by unifying both TR series is that this next one will show a more confident, kick ass Lara who is now full Raider of tombs.

We can only hope.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Loved the last 3. Definitely looking forward to what CD does with the franchise next. UE5 is a ridiculous engine which means Laura should look and move pretty stunning in the next game.

I just wanna duel wield pistols. They do let you in the first reboot game at the very end and then it never happens again. I actually liked the new games but why? Its one of the actually iconic things about the character.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Tired of these old ass franchises. Do something fresh and new, like another Deus Ex.
Man, I cant even imagine living a life where the developers literally hold a gun to your head and hold your family hostage and force you to play these games you dont wanna play. Such an intense and unfortunate set of circumstances.

s/

DaGwaphics

Back to basics please 🙏

Back to the grid, only this time each move costs 10 gold bars that you can mine in game or purchase from the store?

Seriously though, I hope they break away from the generic action game-ness of the last trilogy and get back to puzzles (both traversal and tombs) being the primary focus. Should be a looker, TR lends itself well to that.

Last edited:
I'm in if I'm not just going to be slaughtering 1000's of faceless goons again. Make the action impactful and have the environment be the biggest threat to Lara instead of these armies of bad guys that seem to know about artifacts lost to time.

I want the new game to make PETA mad by fighting tigers and bats and whatever else.

Top Bottom