• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis Port is Mess Up

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
13 years later and Crytek still can't optimize? Geeze, these guys are mediocre.
Lol. The PC landscape was completely different back then. Crysis was developed when the thought process for where CPU growth was going more toward frequency rather than cores/threads. So for example, at the time Crysis would run like a fucking dream if you had an 9800GTX and a CPU clocked at 6ghz. Problem is, CPU's didn't go that way. So there way of future proofing essentially meant that no one would be able to achieve it completely for a long long time. Even still today, there's no perfect solution to running the original DX10 mode other than pure BRUTE fucking force.

"Can it run Crysis" mode is a different paradigm entirely. They essentially are rendering EVERYTHING at full LOD and with no-pop in. So it's a ton of shit loaded into memory and most games aren't made that way. It's incredibly inefficient but it is a really cool idea that you no long have to worry about shitty LOD-transitions or character/shadows/items popping up into sight only when you are in proximity. It's not really meant for anyone that wants to play it at 60fps with today's cards because there aren't really any cards on the market that can run it properly, I'd bet the 3090 will do ok though. Even still, when they actually implement DLSS 2.0 it'll open up the possibility to a TON more people.

Playing the remaster on High setting at good framerates is what is intended for the vast majority of players. Console players always get ass-blasted when it comes to choice so I don't know what to expect on that side of the fence.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Lol. The PC landscape was completely different back then. Crysis was developed when the thought process for where CPU growth was going more toward frequency rather than cores/threads. So for example, at the time Crysis would run like a fucking dream if you had an 9800GTX and a CPU clocked at 6ghz. Problem is, CPU's didn't go that way. So there way of future proofing essentially meant that no one would be able to achieve it completely for a long long time.

"Can it run Crysis" mode is a different paradigm entirely. They essentially are rendering EVERYTHING at full LOD and with no-pop in. So it's a ton of shit loaded into memory and most games aren't made that way. It's incredibly inefficient but it is a really cool idea that you no long have to worry about shitty LOD-transitions or character/shadows/items popping up into sight only when you are in proximity.
To be fair its not just the 'can it run Crysis' mode thats hard to run. Gameriot has a 2080ti and he had to play on 'High' (not even very high), and ray tracing turned to 'performence', to get 60fps, and even then he had tons of drops well below 60fps.

GrayFoxPL

Game already looked bad on their trip to crytek. LOD was hilarious and when the frame rate counter showed 28-29 fps, they said the counter was wrong.

RYzaQH4.gif

Last edited:

Fake

I almost confirming is not a PC port. Is look like a remaster of the PS360 because some AI behavior really have some identical bugs as when I played on Xbox 360. I have loads of time played on X360.
Lets see if true.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Better question is - can you not care even more about the first Crysis? Sequels are miles better than this overrated, overhyped and absolutely terrible POS when it comes to performance. Crytek are complete and incompitent idiots, 14 effin' years later they still can't fix the main performance problem of the first game - complete lack of multi-core/thread support and extreme dependency on higher core clocks and lock to one core ~100% utilization.

Why can you just not effin' make complete remake on the newest Cry Engine and make original game way better than it was and still is? JFC.

Keihart

I think it's alright, when i watched the linus video it was pretty obvious that big part of why this even exists it's to make the game more taxing again so we can keep using the meme. The highest graphical option is "can it run crysis" lmao

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
meh, crysis deserves better

no multiplayer either
giphy.gif

I almost confirming is not a PC port. Is look like a remaster of the PS360 because some AI behavior really have some identical bugs as when I played on Xbox 360. I have loads of time played on X360.
Lets see if true.

I could swore I thought Digital Foundry said it was the same PS360 code enhanced for the new consoles. Which I'm not the hugest fan of, but I did like how they combined some of the nano suit powers to make easier to use over the original release like they did with the sequels.

Last edited:

Banned
I think it's alright, when i watched the linus video it was pretty obvious that big part of why this even exists it's to make the game more taxing again so we can keep using the meme. The highest graphical option is "can it run crysis" lmao

it isn't taxing on GPUs tho, it still has the CPU issues where it runs like absolute shit even on High settings on a 2080ti at 1080p. because the GPU isn't even remotely at it's limits, neither is the CPU, but that one or two cores it actually uses get maxed out

Great Hair

Banned
And weren't these two idiots sent an invitation to Crytek HQ to help identify issues? Who would have thought that two twats without a lick of dev experience would have failed at that job?

Do you have any source for that? doubtful at best, to think that a game studio would hire not one but two youtubers to fix their game. sounds silly (havent watched their pilgrimage to crytek HQ, at least not fully)

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
it's a simple thing, a lone programmer could get it going in one weekend

:/
How did Digital Foundry play Crysis Co-op in that Raytracing mod video they did a while back anyone know? I'm pretty sure I remember seeing mods where they essentially were porting the campaign into the MP component of Crysis but I could never find a definitive guide or answer.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Have played about an hour or so on my PS4 Pro, the only graphics setting that makes is playable is setting it to Performance. And even then it still will stutter if you're in a gunfight with four or more enemies, or if something is exploding. When I turned on Ray Tracing it was a PowerPoint presentation and my PS4 Pro sounded like a jet engine about to take off.

Fake

I could swore I thought Digital Foundry said it was the same PS360 code enhanced for the new consoles. Which I'm not the hugest fan of, but I did like how they combined some of the nano suit powers to make easier to use over the original release like they did with the sequels.

I remember the Switch version getting the PS360 because ' Nintendo Switch don't support the lastest version of Cryengine' while PS4/XBX/PC get the lastest version.

Both PS4 and Xbox One supports Cryengine 5 because Hunt:Showdown runs using Cryengine 5 on those games, and believe or not, runs quite stable... at least in comparison with this mess.

Dunno 'why' they thought rolling back to Cryengine 3 was a good ideia.

Last edited:

Connxtion

Getting micro stutters when in RT mode when it’s loading stuff in or saving (checkpoint) also when you pause crap flickers black 😂 (in any mode)

also another issue is on the left side of the screen clouds vanish, but not on the right if you do the same thing on that side 🤷‍♂️

There are other weird graphical glitches on water eg...

Also a side note, they fixed the way out of the map on the first mission 😩 you now hit an invisible barrier that pushes your boat up out of the water. (Its collision is removed, but you can get in and out of the boat)
QuaintClutteredAmphiuma-size_restricted.gif

Lol. The PC landscape was completely different back then. Crysis was developed when the thought process for where CPU growth was going more toward frequency rather than cores/threads. So for example, at the time Crysis would run like a fucking dream if you had an 9800GTX and a CPU clocked at 6ghz. Problem is, CPU's didn't go that way. So there way of future proofing essentially meant that no one would be able to achieve it completely for a long long time. Even still today, there's no perfect solution to running the original DX10 mode other than pure BRUTE fucking force.

"Can it run Crysis" mode is a different paradigm entirely. They essentially are rendering EVERYTHING at full LOD and with no-pop in. So it's a ton of shit loaded into memory and most games aren't made that way. It's incredibly inefficient but it is a really cool idea that you no long have to worry about shitty LOD-transitions or character/shadows/items popping up into sight only when you are in proximity. It's not really meant for anyone that wants to play it at 60fps with today's cards because there aren't really any cards on the market that can run it properly, I'd bet the 3090 will do ok though. Even still, when they actually implement DLSS 2.0 it'll open up the possibility to a TON more people.

Playing the remaster on High setting at good framerates is what is intended for the vast majority of players. Console players always get ass-blasted when it comes to choice so I don't know what to expect on that side of the fence.

Conroe was known about prior to Crysis's release. Everyone knew the industry was heading parralel. It had full support for 2 cores, but gained less from quads.

Rikkori

If you want good performance you have to put shaders on low, this very well known for Cryengine game. Btw presets don't work so you have to change settings individually. Performance is actually quite good when you dial things in. People who thought remaster = it will use all 32 threads simply don't understand remasters. There's plenty here too enjoy but clearly it does require a patch or two in order to fix some bugs. You can get 1080p 60fps with an RX 580 and the game looks crisp, that's nothing to sneeze at.

KCtKK6V.png

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Do you have any source for that? doubtful at best, to think that a game studio would hire not one but two youtubers to fix their game. sounds silly (havent watched their pilgrimage to crytek HQ, at least not fully)
His statement is not remotely accurate, they were invited to look at the game and DF commented on how receptive they were to their input. Like most successful and competent individuals, the dev appreciated an outside perspective to shine a light on some issues they may have overlooked. It's easy to develop blind spots when you're hyper focused.

ZywyPL

Banned
This game should never land on PS4/XB1, the most advanced physics to date running on the shittiest CPU ever made = absolutely garbage performance, dunno why people are so surprised? Crytec should've wait a bit more and release the game only on PS5/XBX.

Chiggs

His statement is not remotely accurate, they were invited to look at the game and DF commented on how receptive they were to their input. Like most successful and competent individuals, the dev appreciated an outside perspective to shine a light on some issues they may have overlooked. It's easy to develop blind spots when you're hyper focused.

Well, that sure worked out, didn't it? And when was the last time Crytek were successful?

Last edited:

bee

pretty much what I expected but I hope it gets a load of patches

one of my all time favourites but was always day 365 for me due to epic but if they don't remove denuvo after release i'll never buy it and just stick with the modded original, they already had shiity drm on the original which now blocks me from playing both my copy on steam and origin due to install limits, thank fuck for old no cd cracks

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Well, that sure worked out, didn't it? And when was the last time Crytek were successful?
Why are your such a hater. Does it make you feel better about yourself? I bet it doesn't.
Now is Crytek successful hmmmm.... They are a independently operated company that has been in business for 21 years and employees over 200 individuals. Their last game "The Hunt" sold over 2 million copies. Would you call that successful? Are you successful? Think you need to look inwards man, seems like you're projecting.

Enough though, My point was to correct your false claims. Your goalpost shifting has me ranting now. I have no dog in this fight.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

Have played about an hour or so on my PS4 Pro, the only graphics setting that makes is playable is setting it to Performance. And even then it still will stutter if you're in a gunfight with four or more enemies, or if something is exploding. When I turned on Ray Tracing it was a PowerPoint presentation and my PS4 Pro sounded like a jet engine about to take off.

dIJCCBS.gif

Oh wow. How did this get even get released in this state?

Chiggs

Why are your such a hater. Does it make you feel better about yourself? I bet it doesn't.
Now is Crytek successful hmmmm.... They are an independently operated company that has been in business for 21 years and employees over 200 individuals. Their last game "The Hunt" sold over 2 million copies. Would you call that successful? Are you successful? Think you need to look inwards man, seems like you're projecting.

Crytek has been struggling financially--and culturally-- since 2016. They're a shell of their former selves and it doesn't seem like a great place to work. I assume you're using SteamSpy numbers to back your claim for Hunt, but I'd wager that most of those copies sold were at a discount...if those numbers are even accurate.

And now...their remastered Crysis, which for PC gamers is only on Epic Games store, (if that's not a clear sign of their financial problems) is a broken mess.

As for me, I make a pretty fantastic living, but I always do find it funny when people use the "oh, you must be projecting" retort. Look, I'm glad you passed your Junior College Psychology course, or you were listening when your therapist explained to you why *some* people criticize others, largely to make you feel better about her $150.00 an hour fee, but it's not the reason behind my comments in this thread, regardless of whether or not you find them distasteful.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

LIRIK is currently streaming it if you're curious about seeing it in action, you can see it here:

It's rough port on PC as well, it's a shame. LIRIK has a pretty costly rig and on ultra it fluctuated between 26-36 FPS. So, he bumped it down to high and it went up to 60 at that point, but as he continued playing it still dropped to like 35-45 in some segments. He kept making the comment that it feels like the further he gets into the game the FPS just gets worse. Saw a few stutters here and there as well.

I think the most annoying thing has been the loading bar because it fills up and then it just sits at 100% for awhile before transitioning into gameplay, lol.

Noooooot the best remake/remaster, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Fake

How can use Directx 11 and not be optimize for multi cpu system at the same get my attention.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Crytek has been struggling financially--and culturally-- since 2016. They're a shell of their former selves and it doesn't seem like a great place to work. I assume you're using SteamSpy numbers to back your claim for Hunt, but I'd wager that most of those copies sold were at a discount...if those numbers are even accurate.

And now...their remastered Crysis, which for PC gamers is only on Epic Games store, (if that's not a clear sign of their financial problems) is a broken mess.

As for me, I make a pretty fantastic living, but I always do find it funny when people use the "oh, you must be projecting" retort. Look, I'm glad you passed your Junior College Psychology course, or you were listening when your therapist explained to you why *some* people criticize others, largely to make you feel better about her $150.00 an hour fee, but it's not the reason behind my comments in this thread, regardless of whether or not you find them distasteful.
Dude... What does any of this have to do with your false claims that I corrected? Nothing.... Stop moving the goalpost. You made up some shit and got called out. Go rant to someone else.

MiguelItUp

Lol, LIRIK just said, "This is the worst remaster I've ever played. The mouse feels like shit, the performance is shit, this whole experience is shit."

Chiggs

Dude... What does any of this have to do with your false claims that I corrected? Nothing.... Stop moving the goalpost. You made up some shit and got called out. Go rant to someone else.

Maybe you should get out of this thread, or just send me a DM. I responded to your Crytek comments and your insinuation about me being some failure, and quite frankly it seems like you're a wee bit sensitive yourself.

See post #51 for reasons why we should just stop.

LIRIK is currently streaming it if you're curious about seeing it in action, you can see it here:

This is a fucking mess. Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Picked it up. It's only $20 on Epic. I'm good with that.

It's rough port on PC as well, it's a shame. LIRIK has a pretty costly rig and on ultra it fluctuated between 26-36 FPS. So, he bumped it down to high and it went up to 60 at that point, but as he continued playing it still dropped to like 35-45 in some segments. He kept making the comment that it feels like the further he gets into the game the FPS just gets worse. Saw a few stutters here and there as well.

I think the most annoying thing has been the loading bar because it fills up and then it just sits at 100% for awhile before transitioning into gameplay, lol.

It's mostly in the 50fps range from what I can tell watching his stream. It looks like a lot of fun to be honest.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
This is gonna be a pass or a deep sale for me. A shame, because I was looking forward to replaying it on my PS4.

MiguelItUp

Picked it up. It's only $20 on Epic. I'm good with that.
It's mostly in the 50fps range from what I can tell watching his stream. It looks like a lot of fun to be honest.
It's been incredibly inconsistent honestly. It'll appear consistent one moment, then it plummets, etc. It's all over the place. Crysis is a lot of fun! Even watching him playing it I remember playing the original and having fun though it ran like ass on my PC at the time, lmao.

Vtecomega

Banned
Why has no one mentioned the HDR is completely broken. Washed out grey levels. Blown out whites, completely oversaturated colour. Ugly bloom. It also disables ray tracing.

Turning off HDR is night and day difference.

Crytek hire me as a play tester. I'll do a better job.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Sounds like a memory leak

Anyway they delayed it too. This is embarrassing but my guess is the top talent at Crytek is long gone.

Also funny that the lazy emu job from Nintendo is getting tons of loves from players while this is just a piece of shit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom