• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crusader Kings III |OT| Per omnia saecula saeculorum

Kadayi

Banned
So I found some time to get into the game but somehow I can't unlock achievements :messenger_face_screaming:

You can only unlock achievements in Ironman mode, also some mods will also interfere with it as well. Generally, check on the mod pages to find out.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
Also, there's a bug causing some achievements to not unlock if you're loading a previous Ironman save. I've been trying to get the one for starting as one of Ragnar's sons and conquering the British Isles and apparently now I'm locked out of getting it :messenger_loudly_crying:

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Any good breakdowns out there of how war works? I'm still on my first game and have only been warring when the enemy faction and their allies have inferior forces to mine, but I imagine there must be some flexibility to the system or ways to win wars even when your military forces are outnumbered.

Any good breakdowns out there of how war works? I'm still on my first game and have only been warring when the enemy faction and their allies have inferior forces to mine, but I imagine there must be some flexibility to the system or ways to win wars even when your military forces are outnumbered.

One of the best and unfortunately gamey ways is to go for the enemy capitals. You have a chance at kidnapping them and their families and winning outright. The ransom alone will also pay for the war. AI limewise has a laser like focus on your capital.

As for actual combat, terrain matters.

If you're fighting in anatolia or persia then it's all hills and mountains. So focusing on pikes will seriously fuck up big empires like the abbasids and byzzys who are cavalry heavy. Gives you half a chance as interesting starts like the Zoroastrians.

Keep your best heirs away from warfare by forbidding them as heterataria/knights.

Siege engines are seriously OP. They will win you wars and give you serious gold from all the settlement looting. I have two full 8 stacks currently and will buy more when I form/take over empire.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Does anyone know if there is a way to cure Lovers Pox?

I tried to seduce the King of France with my Duchess so he would marry his heir to my daughter, but apparently the King is a whore because now I have Lovers Pox.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know if there is a way to cure Lovers Pox?

I tried to seduce the King of France with my Duchess so he would marry his heir to my daughter, but apparently the King is a whore because now I have Lovers Pox.

I think it's permanent ><. Congenital, too...

lefty1117

Gold Member
yea i saw last night that terrain and defensive advantage actually plays a big part and allowed a smaller force of 1800 to beat my force of 2900. Knight quality also plays a role - there are a few perks in the Martial skill tree that are must haves if you plan on conquering stuff

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
yea i saw last night that terrain and defensive advantage actually plays a big part and allowed a smaller force of 1800 to beat my force of 2900. Knight quality also plays a role - there are a few perks in the Martial skill tree that are must haves if you plan on conquering stuff

I gotta look into this more... No wonder the AI keeps trying to maneuver their forces.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The character I'm playing now had the Sterile Trait (-50% Fertility), so I went and found a Lustful bride and seduced to her be my lover. Now we have 8 kids and I'm still just 40 years old!

Bolivar687

Banned
Speaking of which...

I've had a few events where someone reveals that a child is not mine and that my wife had been having an affair, giving me the right to imprison her. However, the parentage of the child does not change to the alleged extramarital parent. It still says they're my kid and dynasty. The first time this happened, I banished my spouse, but we were still lovers after that continuing to generate Soulmate events.

A user on the Paradox forums claims there is a Scheme for "Fabricate Bastardry." I'm not sure if: a) that scheme is what's going on, b) there is a later event to confirm illegitimacy, or c) if this is all just more weird bugs. I think I'm just going to disinherit the kid anyway since I don't want it to get confirmed that he's a bastard just before he inherits the Kingdom I nominated him for in the election.

manfestival

Booted the game up for the first time last night. Twas the endeth of the evening. I grew weary from a long day. Therefore, I decided twas the hour of which I must call an end. Mid tutorial upon myself I saved and made way to my bed chamber of which I would begin my slumber.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I think it's permanent ><. Congenital, too...
Yeah I figured that out. Luckily I already had 2 Robust and Handsome heirs. But holy crap that is a crazy punishing mechanic for any seductions you might wanna do.

Crazy thing was the King didn't have it visible as a trait, but I got it anyway.

I started playing the game yesterday and I quite like it but I have no clue of what the hell I'm doing most of the time. The tutorial was helpful but there's so many characters, menus, titles and so much more. I don't have a lot of gold so I can't do much. I'm going to keep at it because I know games like this one take dozens of hours to really understand so I'll just keep fumbling my way through it.

amigastar

I started playing the game yesterday and I quite like it but I have no clue of what the hell I'm doing most of the time. The tutorial was helpful but there's so many characters, menus, titles and so much more. I don't have a lot of gold so I can't do much. I'm going to keep at it because I know games like this one take dozens of hours to really understand so I'll just keep fumbling my way through it.
How about watch some Youtube tutorials?

Currently learning the game also. Looks like its fun once you get the hang of it. My first Paradox game.

Last edited:
How about watch some Youtube tutorials?

Currently learning the game also. Looks like its fun once you get the hang of it.
Yeah I'm going to do that, maybe watch someone play the game from scratch. I remember I went through something similar with Stellaris, another Paradox game. It took me a while to get it but once I did it was super fun.

So I'm a count and obviously I'm trying to roleplay as a good person as much as I can but I cannot see any way of upgrading my title to duke unless I kill my brother who is the duke or go to an independent war/claimed war which will give me penalties because I'm allied with him. Any other way to do it? I am enjoying the game but I was expecting the roleplay aspect better than what people are prasing. I have no way of beocming an Emperor without going to wars or straight up backstabbing my friends and allies, unless I'm missing something important.

This game is awesome! After my first king died (he was a cannibal btw), his grandson took over because the first son was killed in battle and now everyone hates the little brat. I was about to unite Ireland when Scotland attacked and now half the country belongs to them. The Pope is about to call a crusade though so once the Scottish go fight it, I'm going to wipe them out. :messenger_smiling_horns:

amigastar

I'm really happy this game is on Game Pass. Watched some tutorials and now watching a lets play, this game is complex for sure.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finally made it to 1453 with my tutorial Dynasty. Ended as an Empress of all of Brittania as well as most of central/eastern Europe.

Now that I feel somewhat comfortable with the high level mechanics, I think I'm going to try an Ironman game starting in 867.

amigastar

Patch 1.1 coming tomorrow, it's massive.

Hari Seldon

That is a big patch. Man this game is perfection already. It is a ton easier to understand than CK2 due to the event thing telling you the most important issues to deal with. And now the patch is bringing alerts when you are being sieged which is super useful if you are playing a big empire. I have like 50 hours in already and barely have scratched the surface. The only annoyance is how long you have to deal with partition succession, especially if you start in 867. Going to have to disable cheats and play in ironman and embrace the chaos lol.

Kadayi

Banned
GOTY for me. This is cocaine.

Indeed. I've logged 167 hours so far, and I'm not remotely done (mainly because I keep noodling 867 Ireland which is my favourite start place...doing a write up on unadulterated micromanagement about that BTW). Looking forward to the patch though and what it brings. Albeit I'm looking forward to CP2077, CKIII definitely has my heart at present.

ILOuyAS.gif

OPB on the patch:-

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
This game is fucked up. My son and heir who's 23yrs old is banging his mother/my wife who's 62 yrs old. I mean morally I would throw both in prison but my heir has great stats and will make a great ruler in the future. Fuck it I'm going to cover for them and let them go. Cuckhold by my own son, fuck lmao.

Well, think of it as the ultimate validation that you were tapping a good piece of ass I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Being serious though, I've never found the incest thing comes up all that much on the whole. The more annoying issue is Dynasty Vassals marrying other members of the Dynasty which pisses me off no end. I know the Victorians were all over that Marry your cousin BS, but it's not good for your Bloodline.

Well, think of it as the ultimate validation that you were tapping a good piece of ass I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Being serious though, I've never found the incest thing comes up all that much on the whole. The more annoying issue is Dynasty Vassals marrying other members of the Dynasty which pisses me off no end. I know the Victorians were all over that Marry your cousin BS, but it's not good for your Bloodline.
I'm still on my 2nd ruler so I haven't gotten too far. I don't even know what Dynasty Vassals or Bloodline issues are. This game is so deep with so many layers to discover.

Well at the end I begged the queen like a little bitch and she broke off the relationship with my son. But now I got a Loyalty Hook on her. I shall make her pay somehow lol.

Raphael

Game is amazing but think i already did and saw most of the stuff, including world conquest. Might do an africa and inidian campaign and thats all. Bring in the dlcs with big new mechanics!!!

Kadayi

Banned
Game is amazing but think i already did and saw most of the stuff, including world conquest. Might do an africa and inidian campaign and thats all. Bring in the dlcs with big new mechanics!!!

I don't know. The game throws up some surprises with the random events all the time. On my umpteenth noodle starting as the Earl of Ormond in 867 (I like the twin challenge of fending off the Vikings as well as negotiating the troublesome Neill Clan to the north of me and their alliance with the King of Alba) I was looking for a primary Spouse and doing a search of 'sum of all skills' and the game threw up this Genius Bavarian Commoner with 10+ scores across the board and I was all

200.gif

So I wifed that up straight away (whilst using my brother and sisters to form a few alliances), but being Insular Christian the games bugging me to get more wives, however, albeit you can marry a Christian as your primary, with insular Christianity you can no longer get successful betrothals to Christians after that, so you're limited in the pool you can draw from at the game start, namely Irish. Anyway, I found a decent Irish lass with 25 learning who I thought would come in handy as a physician.

Anyway games underway, go to romance the Primary wife, turns out the wife is more into GirlsTown (someone didn't check the sexual preference marker because they were in a rush ) so I'm like

ce018548463c43fb9cbb554dbfd0b710.gif

But I'm like

GoRGIg.gif

But anyway apparently contrary to how I thought things were going to go. She's all up for the baby-making, dropping a genius-level daughter in the first year and then saddling up for more barely a couple of months later. I'm now

nr891dR.gif

4 kids in a matter of years 3 of them geniuses (though typically my first son misses out on that, because CKIII loves first pancake syndrome) so overall I'm like

giphy.gif

But then suddenly I get some random event chain come up. Apparently, the remains of a body were discovered and the peasants are getting restless. I'm thinking 'ooh ooh' Cannibal secret in the Court. So I've got my Spymaster full-time on the case, but nope the bodies start piling up. First one of my random dynasty courtiers, then my second wife the Physician, then one of my councillors. All the while I'm doing what I can with the event choices to try and bring the matter to an end (none of which work) eventually my father is found strung up with a note attached saying that that would be the last death but that the killer was watching me.

giphy.gif

Anyway, Spymaster is coming back to me saying 'It's this kid' whose all of about 12 as the killer of my father so I'm kind of sceptical, but then he also comes back and points the finger my Wife (the Genius) for the other murders (implying they were working together...). So then I'm like

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Problem is I don't have the crown authority to imprison either of them, plus the wife is still dropping more genius kids like there's no tomorrow (up to 7 now, including a few more sons). Ultimately I'm...

giphy.gif

Sadly I just died from bubonic Plague, but I did have the sense to arrange a few alliances for my kids beforehand so hopefully, the dynasty will continue. I just wonder whether my heir's mother will go on any more murder sprees. I might have to marry her to the Neills... 🤔

Last edited:

Raphael

I don't know. The game throws up some surprises....

Haha, amazing. Love reading people's game stories.

Also it's such a wonderful and unique thing about CK where You do those narratives for yourself. I don't think I experianced it myself or saw a lot of other people to have done this in any other game

amigastar

CDkeys has this for $26. Will I enjoy this if I like other strategy series like Total War and Civ?
It's on Microsoft PC gamepass also (just saying)
Once you learn the mechanics it can be really fun. I'm personally waiting for a DLC until i play it further.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
CDkeys has this for $26. Will I enjoy this if I like other strategy series like Total War and Civ?

Is it this civilization/historical aspect of those games that you like most? This game is decidedly less "gamey" than either and the consequences of your decisions often do not present themselves immediately or even for quite a long time. It's an incredibly deep experience, but you have to be into the idea of role playing a dynasty and engaging with all of the political intrigue and geopolitics that comes with that.

Kadayi

Banned
Sweet thanks for the responses. I think for $26 I can definitely take a jump into it.

Do it. It's an extremely fun game. Do the Tutorials to get a sense of the systems, and then find a lowly Count/Earl somewhere and start scheming.

As soon as I reach over 2 mill levies all the irrelevant 0% factions suddenly go to 1000% in power and starts declaring war even though they're basically only got a few 1000's levies and yet challenging 1000's times stronger empire. I could wipe them out , but if every peasant county continues declaring wars it's completely immersion braking. Is this a known bug or a mod causing it? Even when I disable all mods and load the save this nonsensical anomaly still persist.

Just to add. Weird thing is that the most powerful faction with mulitple powerful vassals is not effected by this 'bug' and stay at the same for example 14% power.

ed: just noticed that all OT's are getting moved to this separate subforum. I have never even visited this place previously. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a disclaimer on the main gaming section, so more visitors and surprisingly frequent users are aware of this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom