• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cruis'n Blast - Announcement Trailer - Nintendo Switch | E3 2021

bender

What time is it?
...but this game could help bring back classic arcade racing.

ExaltedDiligentEgg-size_restricted.gif

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I just wish I knew how it feels/handles. I don't think review coverage is going to do much good either.
the person that played it on the handheld seemed to be pretty good with handling the game. idk how the review coverage will be, could be anything between 60 and 75 I guess, but to be honest the series was never known for being acclaimed by critics so I don't really care to be honest.

bender

What time is it?
the person that played it on the handheld seemed to be pretty good with handling the game. idk how the review coverage will be, could be anything between 60 and 75 I guess, but to be honest the series was never known for being acclaimed by critics so I don't really care to be honest.

Yeah, I'm in the fuck it camp too. I'll settle for just about any arcade racer at this point.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I wish Microsoft would have taken better care of Bizarre Creations.
Michael Rainey Jr Yes GIF by Power Book II: Ghost

I don't think they ever made a bad game, they should've been a first party dev.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Looks like a lot of fun. Been wishing for a Road Rash game ever since Road Rash 64 and this game sort of reminds me a bit of all those good times playing Gran Turismo 2 and Road Rash 64. Especially when you’d go off the track or road, speed up towards a green hill and go up that son of a gun full speed with your hogg to catch like 60 ft of air. Those jumps were one of a kind

To be honest I didn’t know the series was still going strong on the arcades but there is something with the old digitized sprites that gave the series personality. Unfortunately, this iteration visuals looks more like a mobile racing game.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I'll buy this videogame just out of respect for Gene Jarvis. The man is a legend, and how many of those are still stomping around in this industry?

In other words, "Thank you for Defender and Robotron. Here's my money."

bender

What time is it?
It's 1:00AM, I just finished Doom 64.

You cannot play this software or downloadable content yet. Please try again later. Restarting the console or entering the Nintendo eShop will have no effect on the availability of this content.

200.gif

Mr Branding

I just wish I knew how it feels/handles. I don't think review coverage is going to do much good either.
Yep, I'm here. Game looks zany and fun but the gameplay looks on rails easy mode on. I want arcade racing back since I'm not attracted to sims at all, but this looks to be super floaty and kart-y and my switch is already flooded with this sort of games: mk8, sonic racing, hotshots racing, horizon chase tb, etc.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
reviews on Metacritic are out, they are as expected:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/cruisn-blast

but seriously what's with the guy that thinks a lack of content (a simple career mode and no online to be precise) justifies a 5/10!?
I get it, a real career mode is nice and the lack of an online mode is disappointing, but it's way too harsh to be honest. Mario Kart 8 wouldn't be a 5/10 without online and half the content either (not to mention there is no real career mode either way), because the gameplay at it's core is great and so is the track design. A game should nail the basics (gameplay, mechanics) first and foremost. Small but good content is better than a lot of mediocrity and filler.
Idk, maybe it's the price point... at 20 bucks it would be an easier sale probably, but still.

bender

What time is it?
Game is butter smooth and a great sense of speed. Track design is a little simplistic so far but the sheer spectacle of it all is great. On the track you have a shortcuts, drifting, boost, tricks and a takedown system. The keys seem decently hidden and there are seemingly lots of cars, upgrades and paint jobs to purchase with the in game currency. My initial impressions are favorable, especially considering the budget price and the hole in the market for these types of racers.

bender

What time is it?
Yep, I'm here. Game looks zany and fun but the gameplay looks on rails easy mode on. I want arcade racing back since I'm not attracted to sims at all, but this looks to be super floaty and kart-y and my switch is already flooded with this sort of games: mk8, sonic racing, hotshots racing, horizon chase tb, etc.

I really like the way it feels but it is super grippy and with the lack of hairpin turns (so far), you aren't going to be pinballing through corners much. The focus seems to be more about creating boost opportunities (stunts, boost pads, etc).

bender

What time is it?
There is something satisfying as drifting around corners as a Triceratops taking down opponents while avoiding a runaway/out-of-control 18-wheeler that is having missiles shot at it shortly before having to avoid a massive donut signage rolling down the racetrack in the span of 30 seconds.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
There is something satisfying as drifting around corners as a Triceratops taking down opponents while avoiding a runaway/out-of-control 18-wheeler that is having missiles shot at it shortly before having to avoid a massive donut signage rolling down the racetrack in the span of 30 seconds.
that's how they should market the game:
"ey bro, do you drive a Triceratops?"
"yeah, you can also drive a unic..."
"holy cow there is a huge donut coming my way"
"can I play too?"
"sure"

I don't even know how you can market something so absurdly over the top. It should market itself, but sadly only a niche audience will be interested in the game... but who knows.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Bleh. This has nothing to do with the Cruisin games from back in the day. Looks extremely generic and overly shiny and flashy.
Jimmy Fallon What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Are you sure?

Seems like a modern rendition of past titles.

... and how a game with such over the top tracks and such a ridiculous cast of vehicles could be described as generic is baffling to me. Like how many games of that kind are out there? You make it sound like you can race a Triceratops while driving on top of moving trains in just about any other racing game.

Top Bottom