• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrossfireX announced for Xbox One, Coming 2020

Mista

Banned

Smilegate Entertainment announced CrossfireX for Xbox One at the Microsoft E3 2019 press conference. It will launch first on the platform in 2020.

Here is an overview of the game, via Microsoft:
With 650 million registered players LTD over its 10-year history, Crossfire is one of the most played PC games in the world. A free to play first-person shooter, Crossfirefeatures two mercenary corporations—“Black List” and “Global Risk,” who battle each other in an epic global conflict. Players assume the role of either a Black List or Global Risk mercenary, joining a team that must work together to complete objective-based scenarios.

Powered by Unreal Engine 4, CrossfireX is being developed by our team at Smilegate Entertainment, based in Seoul, South Korea, and we have enlisted world class development partners including Remedy Entertainment to deliver a platform of rich experiences for Xbox players including a single player campaign, battle royale, and competitive multiplayer. We have partnered with Microsoft to create an amazing Crossfire experience for Xbox fans when it ships in 2020.

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified
So I have been searching youtube for any video on this game and 8 can't find anything other than the Xbox e3 trailer

nikolino840

Hot off Control, one of 2019’s biggest games, Remedy Entertainment is working on an all-new single-player campaign for CrossfireX. According to Tuukka Taipalvesi, executive producer at Remedy, the team at Smilegate were big fans. “They came to us because of our strengths of building worlds, building characters which are not one dimensional and that actually have a lot of depth,” he says. “That’s what we do. We tell stories through characters in worlds that either we build or someone else has built.”

nikolino840

You guys are working with Microsoft again, huh?

Read more
Taipalvesi: Yes. Yes we are. But then again, how we started this was a developer-to-developer relationship with SmileGate. That's been the strand for us for the longest time. And then SmileGate branched out and partnered with Microsoft. We're extremely happy to be working with these guys again, because there's a lot of friends that we have on this side of the table.
Puha: A lot of the same people we worked with on Quantum Break are still there.
You're back doing a Microsoft exclusive, like it's 2013.
Puha:
Yeah, but for us it's like, we're working on the single-player content and the campaign. And then a lot of the other things are like, well, that's not really our concern, which is a nice place to be in.

Did you guys know anything about Crossfire when contact was made? It's not a big game over here yet. But did you have to do research, find out what it was about, play the game? How did you react to that initial contact?

Read more
Taipalvesi: I've been big in esports for quite a long time so I had heard of it. I had heard there's this game being played by millions, but because its availability in Europe wasn't that high, it wasn't really on my radar. But as soon as these guys contacted us, I was like, okay, so now is the perfect time for me because I now have a reason to actually dig in and try to find out more about this game and this IP.

Article Continues Below
Crossfire has over 650 million players. You're making the campaign for the biggest game in the world.
Puha:
You hit the nail on the head - not the coffin.
Not yet!
Puha:
That's exactly how we also looked at it. That's an interesting place to be to get to flex our muscles and get to make a first-person shooter. A lot of us want to make an FPS. Like, what would that look like?
You're not known for FPS.
Taipalvesi:
No. this is the first FPS we've done. But what we are known for is world-building, interesting characters and everything else. So it was a very, very interesting mental mind map. What do we need to know from Crossfire in order for us to be able to mentally construct the sandbox for ourselves? How do we play in this space? And then start to do the world-building as well as character-building.

You guys are working with Microsoft again, huh?

Read more
Taipalvesi: Yes. Yes we are. But then again, how we started this was a developer-to-developer relationship with SmileGate. That's been the strand for us for the longest time. And then SmileGate branched out and partnered with Microsoft. We're extremely happy to be working with these guys again, because there's a lot of friends that we have on this side of the table.
Puha: A lot of the same people we worked with on Quantum Break are still there.
You're back doing a Microsoft exclusive, like it's 2013.
Puha:
Yeah, but for us it's like, we're working on the single-player content and the campaign. And then a lot of the other things are like, well, that's not really our concern, which is a nice place to be in.

Did you guys know anything about Crossfire when contact was made? It's not a big game over here yet. But did you have to do research, find out what it was about, play the game? How did you react to that initial contact?

Read more
Taipalvesi: I've been big in esports for quite a long time so I had heard of it. I had heard there's this game being played by millions, but because its availability in Europe wasn't that high, it wasn't really on my radar. But as soon as these guys contacted us, I was like, okay, so now is the perfect time for me because I now have a reason to actually dig in and try to find out more about this game and this IP.

Article Continues Below
Crossfire has over 650 million players. You're making the campaign for the biggest game in the world.
Puha:
You hit the nail on the head - not the coffin.
Not yet!
Puha:
That's exactly how we also looked at it. That's an interesting place to be to get to flex our muscles and get to make a first-person shooter. A lot of us want to make an FPS. Like, what would that look like?
You're not known for FPS.
Taipalvesi:
No. this is the first FPS we've done. But what we are known for is world-building, interesting characters and everything else. So it was a very, very interesting mental mind map. What do we need to know from Crossfire in order for us to be able to mentally construct the sandbox for ourselves? How do we play in this space? And then start to do the world-building as well as character-building.
Whoever is interviewing seems like they are treating Microsoft like the scarlet letter. Why does this matter so much?

Roberts

Can't really see myself playing MP for more than a few matches, but I'm intrigued about Remedy's single player campaign.

J-Roderton

You can use the Insider app on Xbox to get into the closed beta today. Installing now. 5.88 GB.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
I’m just not sure this type of game can work on console. Played a few matches, and the aiming just doesn’t feel good. AA would ruin the gameplay, but you really need precision like you have with a mouse without any AA

Reactions: JLB

Vasto

I’m just not sure this type of game can work on console. Played a few matches, and the aiming just doesn’t feel good. AA would ruin the gameplay, but you really need precision like you have with a mouse without any AA

Same why I feel about it. I need mouse and keyboard for this one.

MDSLKTR

Playing as a white male tactical sweatlord + Remedy's trademarked bullet time without the paranormal stuff = I'm so in.

Kadve

Strange that AMD would allow that name. They still claim trademark to Crossfire (and presumably CrossFireX too)

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

After much deliberation, and in consideration of the challenges faced by the Smilegate development team due to COVID-19, we have made the difficult decision to delay the release of CrossfireX to 2021.

Moving our release will allow us to deliver the Crossfire experience on console our team set out to create. We’ll have more to share in the future.

Top Bottom