• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross-gen Mess (or what correct version of FFVI Remake should I buy)

Ozrimandias

Hi Gaf, this is a question, i hope you can help me.
Today more than ever buying the correct version of a game is difficult with cross-gen.
I have FFVII Remake thanks to PS Plus, I KNOW I can't get PS5 upgrades (I have PS5) but can I buy the upgrade for $ 20? does it work or do I definitely have to buy the Intergrade version for 69? This situation makes me desperate

I'm not interested in the DLC content, only 60fps or 4k support etc.

LordCBH

You can’t get the upgrade if you have the PS+ FFVIIR. You’ll be stuck paying full price I think. The $20 would only be for the DLC if you were eligible for the free upgrade.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
I assume $20 is for the PS4 disc version? You can download the PS5 version once you put the disc in the system, no fee.

oh wait I misunderstood lol. What $20 upgrade is there? Is that the deluxe version or whatever?

Last edited:

elliot5

If you have PS+ you cannot upgrade. You have to buy Intergrade as is for PS5 which includes the Yuffie DLC, otherwise sold separately for $20. Buying the DLC alone will not get you access to the game and you'll end up overpaying.

The DLC is sold separately for people who BOUGHT FF7R for PS4 on disc or digitally -> upgraded for free, but the DLC wasn't included with the upgrade to FF7RI

Last edited:

Urban

Unfortunately, that's incorrect.

But you can buy the PS4 version cheap on disc and get the PS5 upgrade for free. That won't include the Yuffie DLC though.
Hm ? I thought if you get the ps plus version you upgrade it for 20 and the whole package with the DLC is 69?

sorry for the post before then. Don’t want to spread misinformation

I'm kind of on the fence with the Yuffie DLC. Sure I would like the whole package but it costs a lot more than just the PS4 disk version which has the free upgrade. The upgrade is what I care about the most.

RCU005

Think of the PS+ as a trial version or a demo. If you want to get the PS5 version, you'd have to purchase it fully. Or, you have the option to buy the PS4 version, then get the free upgrade, and then get the DLC for $20 (which will turn out more expensive, I think).

LordCBH

Hm ? I thought if you get the ps plus version you upgrade it for 20 and the whole package with the DLC is 69?

sorry for the post before then. Don’t want to spread misinformation

Nope. PS+ version has no upgrade path at all. I’ve even heard reports of disc owners who also claimed the Plus version being locked out of upgrades on the disc version, but I’ve no idea how accurate that is.

Ozrimandias

What.a.mess.

Thanks to all,
Just to clarify, i have a Digital Version PS5, and i really want t experience the best posible version of FFVII Remake, but it seems that i will be stuck with the PS4 version thanks to PS Plus... no way to avoid spending 69 bucks then.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Oh I'm sorry, I thought gaf told me only idiots would misunderstand things, and Sony were not making bad pr for themselves later down the line?

I feel your pain, op, you seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place.

RCU005

What.a.mess.

Thanks to all,
Just to clarify, i have a Digital Version PS5, and i really want t experience the best posible version of FFVII Remake, but it seems that i will be stuck with the PS4 version thanks to PS Plus... no way to avoid spending 69 bucks then.

Having the PS+ version won't allow you to purchase the game (PS4) from PS Store?

I've had this question since January when I joined PS+ for the first time. I got PS+ for the exclusive discounts, but I wouldn't want to not being able to purchase a game I like because I got it from PS+ (If that ever happens).

Ozrimandias

Oh I'm sorry, I thought gaf told me only idiots would misunderstand things, and Sony were not making bad pr for themselves later down the line?

I feel your pain, op, you seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place.
I think it's not only with this game, others are a mess to upgrade, you dont know if you're playing the best version. Dunno if Xbox owners have the same problems....but some upgrades are free, some are paid, some are don't existent and you have to rebuy the game like Observer Redux.... it's confusing

Ozrimandias

Having the PS+ version won't allow you to purchase the game (PS4) from PS Store?

I've had this question since January when I joined PS+ for the first time. I got PS+ for the exclusive discounts, but I wouldn't want to not being able to purchase a game I like because I got it from PS+ (If that ever happens).
Just now I found something. I've downloaded the PS Plus version of FFVII Remake, and I can't buy the game, because, I've already own it, obviously. But the downside is that you can not buy the upgrade. Maybe I misunderstood but, I think that if you downloaded the PS Plus version and want the best experience, you just have to buy the game for 69 bucks.

Kilau

Gold Member
Nope. PS+ version has no upgrade path at all. I’ve even heard reports of disc owners who also claimed the Plus version being locked out of upgrades on the disc version, but I’ve no idea how accurate that is.
Not accurate, at least in my case but it wasn’t automatic, I had to look for the free upgrade and it only showed up when the play disc was in.

Just now I found something. I've downloaded the PS Plus version of FFVII Remake, and I can't buy the game, because, I've already own it, obviously. But the downside is that you can not buy the upgrade. Maybe I misunderstood but, I think that if you downloaded the PS Plus version and want the best experience, you just have to buy the game for 69 bucks.
The whole convoluted mess is broken down on the store page lol.
WWRDmrt.jpg

Last edited:

ksdixon

I think it's not only with this game, others are a mess to upgrade, you dont know if you're playing the best version. Dunno if Xbox owners have the same problems....but some upgrades are free, some are paid, some are don't existent and you have to rebuy the game like Observer Redux.... it's confusing
Sony also had a messy non-upgrsde path for Spiderman Remastered, before I think they fixed it by allowing people to purchase SM:R seperately from SP:MM.

Then there was Remedy saying their was no way to do PS5 upgrade for Control without having bought the ultimate edition, then accidentally proving themselves wrong and giving it out before taking it back. I think Sony stepped in to tackle the bad pr here, and gave everyone Control Ultimate Edition on PS+.

They're totally confusing their messaging about PS5 upgrades, what games are and are not next-gen exclusives and more are falling on the "also on PS4" side, and they're trying to raise the price of day 1 purchases to 70 USD.

Jim Ryan and Herman Hulst are fucking idiots. They're completely throwing away the PS4's should-be#-a-carry-on slam dunk victory, and doing more to advertise XB's GamePass strategy than XB is. They are the only reasons I own a Series X in addition to my PS5.

Top Bottom