• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Criticize one aspect of each of your top 5 favorite games

7EYEyY-RnxJw8WK001FGJi9OQxRhT_4XL-AAbqLR_LoDgvz8W6uGUpMPd3fMrjtHEFJAyzQuteYNcSCwIqX_PrSvwTcs6tJIjXyZV_C4DtK9JP19IcXOQAfTlTvY6MDWfo57noqwTwqJUoR7MgAIXEz3iF2dg5I2wFoNmw

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Don't know if Top 5 but now those are which come to mind:

SMT III: the final boss was kinda easy and the sound quality of the battle music sucks, which is a same because the music itself is awesome.

SMT IV: the difficulty curve. The first hours of the game are there to turn children into real men. After that it becomes your average JRPG in terms of difficulty. (Except for that optional tree boss)

Dark Souls: while I don't agree that all of the second half is shit, I still think Lost Izalith is beyond shittiness in every level. At least it makes you appreciate more the rest of the game. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

DOOM (1993): while I still enjoy playing it from time to time I find some of the later levels to be lacking in design. Also the Spider Mastermind is a total pussy and the Pain Elementals suck.

Dragon's Dogma: Quests suck. The story meh. Most of the game is too easy. Traversing the world early game is a pain. It needed like another year in the oven for all the content it's clearly missing. And I still love it.

Kenpachii

They are billions - remove hero missions in the campaign and add a speed up button
Divinity original sin 2 - refill source points automatically each fight and start with buffs every fight without having to press it manually, remove magic resistances on enemy's
Witcher 3 - fix your inventory system
heroes of the storm - stop making the new champions god tier overpowered.
wow classic - stop asking a montly fee for it and start banning bots.

Fredrik

Hmmm

Super Metroid - Some boss fights are too easy.

Breath of the Wild - The weapons break too easily and can’t be repaired.

Cyberpunk 2077 - No way to alter the body on the main character.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps - The worm boss/chase is one of the most frustrating gaming sequences in the history of gaming.

Skyrim - There is too much to do and so many ways to do things so I’ve never actually managed to finish the game before I found a reason to start over and do things in another way.

Tschumi

1- Witcher 3. If you want to skip forward through the story to get levels for expansion access you miss out on assloads of content and development. Not really an issue, but a painful reality.

2- Human Revolution. It ends.

(The list got really fucking hard here.. i gave up on numbering or limiting)

Vanilla WoW. All the private servers died.

AoE2 and expansion. Campaigns are honestly a bit low tech, narrative wise.

Morrowind and Oblivion (i always consider these a pair). Going back the gameplay is outdated enough to be hard to get back in to.

Homeworld. It ends.

Operation Flashpoint+Expansions. No sequels under any title lived up to the story component or sense of scale and isolation.

Metal Gear Solid 5. Final act problem.

Warhammer Total War 2. Mastery/Endgame is less interesting than the first hundred turns, by far.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. Replaying it really is bullet fast.

Gran Turismo 6. Released for PS3 only, after PS4 came out.

Gladius. (Lucas arts tactical combat/gladiator management sim from GameCube generation) Really hard to get to run on dolphin.

Metroid Prime. Flawless, only i got a headache from the fov last time i played it.

Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire. It ends.

Edit:

Ahh one more:

Football Manager. Gets worse, in myriad creative ways, every year.

Last edited by a moderator:

mcjmetroid

Super Metroid - controls are too floaty and were bettered in Zero mission and other games

Resident Evil 4 - Cannot run and shoot

Breath of the Wild - Weapon durability is too aggressive

Sonic 2 - Slowdown in split screen multiplayer

Super Mario World - Why is Mario pink?

sncvsrtoip

Lou2 - pace/too long, shorten by 5h and would be perfect, give player choice in final mission

Rdr2 - progress(weapon, character strength) could be done better, after bank mision quite early in the game you are done for rest of the game, pace couod be better

Witcher 3 - graphics didn’t age well, weapon stats depanding on levels (some mesterious weapon find at beginning of game will be pice of shit comparing to dropped from any enemy later in game), ubsurd choices that can decide of Ciri path

Mgs5 - not finished, lack of cutscenes, mission repetition at the end

Batman arkham knight - too similar to previous games

klosos

Baldurs Gate 2 - Pathing AI is horrible at times

Inside - two short and no Platinum trophy

Everquest - My internet was shit 99-2000

Vanilla Wow - too casual

Darkest Dungeon - Not enough skills per class

Cyberpunk 2077: no vanity option, so you end up looking like a complete twat.

AC Odyssey: ships - naval battles are fucking rubbish which is why I always swim to the target ship and assassinate everyone.

Every AC: the modern, outside of the animus crap.

Borderlands 2: some skills don't scale well with your level.

Guilty_AI

Hard to pinpoint my favorites, so i'll just put 5 games i really liked from this gen

Nier Automata -> worldbuilding is a clusterfuck, could've done better with combat too

MGSV -> the cut kingdom of the flies content, without it a plot point is completely left out in the open

Death Stranding -> come on game, obligatory boss fights? Thats not what you've taught me to do

Yakuza 0 -> typical disconnect between what happens during gameplay and the story in cutscenes

Tales of Berseria -> stop acting and talking like an emo teenager Velvet.

Last edited:

Audioout

Top 5 changes a lot...

Mega Man 2: Not a fan of Wily stage 4 or it's boss.

No More Heroes: Too short, open world very clunky.

The Legend of Zelda: Not enough music tracks. A little too esoteric.

Final Fantasy 6: Too easy. Several throwaway characters.

Persona 5: Never was a fan of the instant game over when the protagonist dies. Too much of Morgana telling me I need to go to sleep.

I'd say a lot if my favourite games this gen was on PC, but I'll add in Sony games as well to balance it out.

1. Crusader Kings III:

Needs a "hey, you've been playing for 6 hours straight, can you please take a break?" warning sign.

The problem with finding flaws in this game for me is because I dont fully understand all the numbers and stats, but I sure as hell had a lot of fun learning how to play the game.

And perhaps for many, that is a flaw.

It's not a pick up and play kinda game at all.

2. Bannerlord II:

The stupid main quest goes nowhere, absolutely nowhere at the time its current state. The fact that it's my only complaint shows the game is still fun regardless.

I'd say the commands for troops is a little bit too confusing and not intuitive, but maybe that'll iron out soon.

Just glad they added "Cheering" as a thing.

3. Cyberpunk:

Honestly, why the fuck cant I customise my character mid game and what the point of food vendors if theres no eating animation? Why the fuck do I need food if at any difficulty level you play, you have at least 100 asthma healing items just by picking it up.

I have a lot of problems with feeling like some questlines end abruptly, Beat Down the Brat quest line for one, because of glitches or because it feels like content has been cut.

Whatever. 130 hours in and I'm done with the game.

4. God of War:

Honestly, the ending was a cliffhanger. Which I understand why they did so, but something about it felt unsatisfying.

Mini boss battles that repeat the same enemy is the worst.

Lack of more unique finishers like GOW3 also kinda sucks, but at the same time, timing really great combos in itself felt like a finisher.

But still. I do miss gutting out the entrails of a chimera.

5. The Last of Us 2

It's fine that they killed Joel.

But why the fuck do you deprive me of spending actual time with him throughout the campaign that wasnt just an interactive cut scene?

I love the moments we had with Joel in the game, but at the same time, I guess I just wanted one or two sections where we play as Joel, or even Ellie, and did a story beat with enemies to kill so you can relive that first game for a brief moment.

I think the biggest issue I have is how they ripped Joel away from us, but also not really giving us what we want - which isnt just these heartfelt moments with him - but also that sense of needing to protect one another.

Which yes, I get it, they replaced with Abby who parallels with Joel and Ellie in the first game.

Ahh well, still loved the game.

Isendurl

Baldurs Gate 2 - Game is so rich in content that you cannot go 5 seconds without triggering some quest or story beat, also because its high level adventure you are just overflowing with magical items. Those quiet relaxing moments from original Baldurs Gate are gone.

Heroes of Might and Magic III - Multiplayer is not fun, not only because game is turn-based, but also because it can be so easily exploited.

Fallout: New Vegas - Caesars Legion is not as fleshed out as it should have been due to cut content.

Dark Souls - Once you obtain the Lordvessel a whole sense of exploration and wonder is gone.

Gothic 2 - Final dungeon is just bad. Piranha Bytes just dont know how to end their games.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
  • Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (My GOAT).
    • The wireless hacking with the goggles breaks the game. It's way too OP. You can hack a PC from across the map, rendering the need for stealth moot.
  • Alien: Isolation.
    • The checkpoint save system. As much as a I love this game, the save system sucks. They're way too close to each other, making them no different than a quick save. System Shock 2 has quick saves and it's still one of the scariest games ever made.
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
    • The on-rails, forced-walking opening of the game. This also applies to Mankind Divided. Cut that shit out! Leave that crap to Half-Life, Eidos. You're better than this.
  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within.
    • Fuck that cargo ship terror mission. Jesus Christ, I don't think I've ever been more frustrated by a video game mission than that god forsaken map.
  • Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005).
    • The bounties get increasingly more annoying the further the game goes. Since you're always faster than the police, you get to a point where you need at least a level 3 heat for the chases to become interesting again. Until that point, you actually have to wait for the police to catch up to you in order to not lose the heat and bounty you already have. It's annoying as hell.

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

Space Harrier - Nothing. Impossible. This is the perfect game.
World of Warcraft - Unrecognizable, moron friendly rubbish.
Asheron's Call - Impossible to play.
Zelda OOT - Water Temple is too cryptic.
Mario64 - Camera issues.

gtrwll

Deus Ex - The enemy AI could be better

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - The gacha system for obtaining blades was bad

Super Metroid - Grappling hook was a pain to use at some points

Jade Empire - The game was almost too easy

Halo: Combat Evolved - The later part of the game has too much backtracking and reusing levels

Last edited:

gypsygib

Witcher 3 - couldn't find any amour that looked better than the starting armour. For some reason it really bothered me to do all that work/exploration for better armour only to have it look worse.

Deus Ex HR and MD - probably not getting a sequel because MD didn't sell well enough.

GOW - Had to play at 1080p 30FPS on PS4 after years of PC gaming at 1440p high FPS. Perfect game (for me) that was hard to look at for half of it until I got used to 1080p 30FPS again. Even then, it was just not being distracted/focused on how blurry/ghosty it looked instead of it actually looking good. When not moving the camera it had some of the best albeit blurry graphics I've seen all gen including on PC.

Wolfenstein New Order - maybe I'm dumb, but my game was locked at 60FPS on PC and a not a very smooth 60FPS at that, not sure why.

MGS 5 - story started off great then went to absolute shit, last quarter of the game the missions went to shit also. Sad ending for one of my favourite series of all time - not sad because of Kojimia's narrative and genius direction but because I felt the development shitshow in the game.

I imagine for Kojima it was like hearing "times up" when writing a final exam that he was dominating but having 30% of the questions left to do and circling C for every remaining answer just to get it done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom