• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CRISIS CORE: FINAL FANTASY VII REUNION |OT| So I can cut loose, right?

Trunx81

Quick question: Did they also remaster the ending song? “Why” was the first time I cried in a game. Yes, not even Aerith had this effect.

njean777

I'm around level 67 with 97k HP and 99k Costly Punch damage, also in chapter 4 near Aerith. All the open missions are now done (Mission Completion = 60%) except the Minerva mission, which I want to save till the end of the game.

So I guess I've pretty much finished the main game that is the missions. Now I can play the side game which is get on with the story, lol.

Use Electrocute for Behemoth as it hits multiple times due to Behemoth's size. Energy is also good, but Electrocute has more base power so requires less setup to buff damage.
What is your material set up? I am at chapter 5 and nowhere near that and have done a lot of missions. How are you lvl 67? I am 32 or 33 and am playing on normal if that matters.

Exentryk

What is your material set up? I am at chapter 5 and nowhere near that and have done a lot of missions. How are you lvl 67? I am 32 or 33 and am playing on normal if that matters.
Well I had done all of the missions that were available and to beat some of them I had to get higher stats and that involved some stat farming. Main was HP+999% materias and getting two of them. You can steal HP+ materia from those large Vajradhara enemies and then combine two HP+ with 80 potions to get HP+70%. Keep combining those to get to 999%.

After that aim to get Adaman Bangle for break HP Limit, Brutal for break Damage Limit, and Costly Punch and then you're set to clear pretty much everything.

Edit: If anyone needs to know the the best place to max out stats, try this:

Last edited:
Completed the game. Stream of consciousness, don't care for formatting or giving it any consistency, too lazy and tired right now, take it as it is.
Enjoyed the game in its semplicity quite a lot. It's fun, it's a good game that shows sign of aging but I do like that era. I completely missed a row of missions and no idea how to unlock them, but no intention of replaying it just to see a few things/magics that I missed. Never engaged in materia fusion, way too annoying, cumbersome and convoluted for no reason. Buster Sword level up is laughable. Combat is kind of decent, but just spam firaga and hope to win the lottery for a limit break. RNG is shit.
Leveling up materia is crap. The game is way too small for all the materia combinations and having to level them up in the end is just pointless and I ended up never using any combo I liked because I was leveling them up BECAUSE - then bam! the game ended. Surprised on how short the game is.
Zack and Cissnei are pretty good and likeable, but the rest of the cast OH GOD WHY. "Angeal", "Genesis"; Already the names are so fucking stupid and the writing is so fucking bad and cringe, Genesis being the worst offender, constantly citing fictional quotes as they were smart or witty... maybe the worst writing for a FF character ever? And he even has fans (quite some people in DFFOO subreddit asking for him to be added to the game, I hope they aren't older than 16). Angeal acts so fucking random and his face ends up everywhere because adding cells to a subject apparently make extra faces spawn on them (SCIENCE!). Oh, and Aerith really seems to have mental issues here.
You get a wing, you get a wing, EVERYBODY GETS A WING! Everyone is a pigeon and loses feathers constantly - should have been bald pigeons in no time. Their cellular degradation shows... on their clothes (lol). Is there a limit to FF trope stupidity? Trying to replicate Sephiroth's popularity ends up only in cringe. Hollander, an overweight scientist, running away from a superhuman trained soldier VERY SLOWLY is just too much.
Great ending, but overdone and they should have stopped before the STUPID came in (just let him die and NOT talk after and see angeals and shit).
Anyway, yeah, good game and excellent remaster. Lots of options for customization, runs flawlessly. This is how it's done. Props to Square.
Genesis is basically Kuja, except way worse. How anyone thought that a character whose lines revolve around a random poem would be received well is beyond me.

jm89

Completed the game. Stream of consciousness, don't care for formatting or giving it any consistency, too lazy and tired right now, take it as it is.
Enjoyed the game in its semplicity quite a lot. It's fun, it's a good game that shows sign of aging but I do like that era. I completely missed a row of missions and no idea how to unlock them, but no intention of replaying it just to see a few things/magics that I missed. Never engaged in materia fusion, way too annoying, cumbersome and convoluted for no reason. Buster Sword level up is laughable. Combat is kind of decent, but just spam firaga and hope to win the lottery for a limit break. RNG is shit.
Leveling up materia is crap. The game is way too small for all the materia combinations and having to level them up in the end is just pointless and I ended up never using any combo I liked because I was leveling them up BECAUSE - then bam! the game ended. Surprised on how short the game is.
Zack and Cissnei are pretty good and likeable, but the rest of the cast OH GOD WHY. "Angeal", "Genesis"; Already the names are so fucking stupid and the writing is so fucking bad and cringe, Genesis being the worst offender, constantly citing fictional quotes as they were smart or witty... maybe the worst writing for a FF character ever? And he even has fans (quite some people in DFFOO subreddit asking for him to be added to the game, I hope they aren't older than 16). Angeal acts so fucking random and his face ends up everywhere because adding cells to a subject apparently make extra faces spawn on them (SCIENCE!). Oh, and Aerith really seems to have mental issues here.
You get a wing, you get a wing, EVERYBODY GETS A WING! Everyone is a pigeon and loses feathers constantly - should have been bald pigeons in no time. Their cellular degradation shows... on their clothes (lol). Is there a limit to FF trope stupidity? Trying to replicate Sephiroth's popularity ends up only in cringe. Hollander, an overweight scientist, running away from a superhuman trained soldier VERY SLOWLY is just too much.
Great ending, but overdone and they should have stopped before the STUPID came in (just let him die and NOT talk after and see angeals and shit).
Anyway, yeah, good game and excellent remaster. Lots of options for customization, runs flawlessly. This is how it's done. Props to Square.
Won't be surprised if they bring back genesis in some form.

They are expanding the world with the story and characters with the remakes, and genesis hate it or love it would work as they just introduced him to a whole lot of people with the crisis core remake.

Last edited:

jm89

Oh, I never doubt modern Square stupidity.

He's gonna end up in the Remake - as if it's not a piece of shit enough.
If the did bring him back hopefully they see sense and don't write him to be insufferable or atleast give us an option to strangle him if he starts reciting.

• LOL
Reactions: Fuz

Exentryk

Defeated Minerva on Hard Mode. They raised her HP from 20 million in the original game to 77.7 million in this remaster. It basically just drags out the fight for no reason. Took like 20 minutes, but was fairly easy with max stats and gear. If you have the patience to farm lots of gil (think wasting 20 odd hours), then you can shorten this fight to like 6 minutes.

Synless

Defeated Minerva on Hard Mode. They raised her HP from 20 million in the original game to 77.7 million in this remaster. It basically just drags out the fight for no reason. Took like 20 minutes, but was fairly easy with max stats and gear. If you have the patience to farm lots of gil (think wasting 20 odd hours), then you can shorten this fight to like 6 minutes.

If the fight was 20 minutes… why waste 20 hours to shorten it to six minutes?

Exentryk

If the fight was 20 minutes… why waste 20 hours to shorten it to six minutes?
Yeah, normally you wouldn't bother doing that. But if some completionist wants to have the shortest time for the fight, then they would have to put in the hours.

Neff

How anyone thought that a character whose lines revolve around a random poem would be received well is beyond me.

Yep. What's worse is that it's basically the only dialogue he has. He rarely reacts to events or other characters, he just speaks in his own pretentious, context-free language, often at the most ridiculous of times. With that fucking apple.

He has a cool design and I have no problem with the idea of inserting a real life pop star into the series, but functionally speaking he's a terrible character with a dumb name. But that's Crisis Core for you.

Great gameplay, ridiculous story, uneven characterisation, dubious lore additions, fantastic ending.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Platinumed the game finally now to finish FF7 Remake Plat.

100% the game at 37 hours (you have to do everything in one playthrough since there is no chapter select) and had 3 dmw cutscenes (1 Sephiroth, 1 Aerith and 1 Tseng) and it took me leaving my playstation on for 10 hours with the DMW reel materia to finally get them as its a random chance to get that cutscene, was frustrating but finally did it.

Loved playing the game though and never got bored

Astral Dog

Still going through this one since outside the battles its pretty limited(because of its PSP design) and i got distracted by other games, im currently after beating the scorpion robot

-the Battle System is simple but very fun, im learning a few things still about Materia fusing and playing on hard mode so its not difficult but not that easy either
-there is not things to do outside battles and short missions, while i won't complain the PSP design will annoy some players, its still a solid game with lots of quality as i keep going through
-the art and visual upgrade is amazing, again there are vestiges since its a 2007 handheld game, like the animations(but they upgraded some of them 👍)
-Zack Fair is a pretty cool main character guillible but a real hero with spiky hair
-music is awesome👌
-combat mode voice is annoying 😒
-the story is, well.. There are some good parts like Zack, he carries this game, and overall world development of FFVII is solid as well, its a game worth checking out for any fan.
Though at this point there are a lot of random stuff hapening that don't make sense, Genesis this Genesis that, LOVELESS, Angeal monsters, Clones, Angel wings(i thought they weren't real at first) no idea what the plot is about exactly

So yep, its a solid game and cool remaster of 2007 PSP, some people won't like it as much now but very rad that Square Enix did this for fans of FFVII

Mr.ODST

Still going through this one since outside the battles its pretty limited(because of its PSP design) and i got distracted by other games, im currently after beating the scorpion robot

-the Battle System is simple but very fun, im learning a few things still about Materia fusing and playing on hard mode so its not difficult but not that easy either
-there is not things to do outside battles and short missions, while i won't complain the PSP design will annoy some players, its still a solid game with lots of quality as i keep going through
-the art and visual upgrade is amazing, again there are vestiges since its a 2007 handheld game, like the animations(but they upgraded some of them 👍)
-Zack Fair is a pretty cool main character guillible but a real hero with spiky hair
-music is awesome👌
-combat mode voice is annoying 😒
-the story is, well.. There are some good parts like Zack, he carries this game, and overall world development of FFVII is solid as well, its a game worth checking out for any fan.
Though at this point there are a lot of random stuff hapening that don't make sense, Genesis this Genesis that, LOVELESS, Angeal monsters, Clones, Angel wings(i thought they weren't real at first) no idea what the plot is about exactly

So yep, its a solid game and cool remaster of 2007 PSP, some people won't like it as much now but very rad that Square Enix did this for fans of FFVII
Here is a sort of gist from what I can remember.

EDIT: Sorry I dont know how far you are in the game but i thought id outline it here

Genesis, Angeal and Sephiroth are all experiments done from "Project Gillian, or a person called Gillian (who Dr.Hollander thought was a cetra (or ancient) but they were not, from there her combined Jenova/Gillian cells were injected into test subjects, from what I can remember:

Genesis was directly injected with "G Cells", his body rejected causing the "Degredation" and its why his body is disappearing, the G cells allowed Genesis to create copies of himself as a mutation.

Angeal was the same and injected with G Cells or he was born from someone who was injected with G Cells, his body rejected them giving him the "Degredation", his mutation was that he could apply his abilities into other living things or "clones" and thats why the creatures have his face.

Both of these candidates were extremely strong from the Jenova cells

Sephiroth was Hojo and Lucrecia's son and while unborn he was injected with Jenova cells before Lucrecia gave birth to him, his body became one with the Jenova Cells and he body never rejected them creating a new type of cell the "S Cell"

In Crisis Core, Genesis is trying to get "S Cells" as they do not cause body degradation and is the only way it can save him.

Later on in the game when Zack and Cloud are caught and put in Mako experiments for 5 years, Cloud originally could not join SOLDIER as he never passed their tests for Jenova Cell injection and most candidates who were injected with Jenova Cells ended up dying or not fusing properly, after the 5 years of experimentation it turns out that Cloud was injected with Sephiroths "S Cells" and he survives and his body becomes one with them, making him extremely powerful and the only true person to be able to take on Sephiroth (it also makes him a valuable asset to SHINRA as he is the only person to fuse with S Cell correctly).

From here Zacks body is starting to deprecate over time and Cloud has Mako Posioning, I wont spoil the end but from there Cloud is technically one of the most powerful SOLDIERS because his body accepted the S Cells so he could potentially be Sephiroths Equal.

Its confusing as fuck and I might of got some stuff wrong but the S Cell injection and more are now making a huge impact on the alternate timeline in FF7 Remake.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
I honestly need the people who were in charge of “upscaling” the pre-rendered cutscenes to be fired IMMEDIATELY. They don’t even run properly! There’s stuttering. Wtf

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Here is a sort of gist from what I can remember.

EDIT: Sorry I dont know how far you are in the game but i thought id outline it here

Genesis, Angeal and Sephiroth are all experiments done from "Project Gillian, or a person called Gillian (who Dr.Hollander thought was a cetra (or ancient) but they were not, from there her combined Jenova/Gillian cells were injected into test subjects, from what I can remember:

Genesis was directly injected with "G Cells", his body rejected causing the "Degredation" and its why his body is disappearing, the G cells allowed Genesis to create copies of himself as a mutation.

Angeal was the same and injected with G Cells or he was born from someone who was injected with G Cells, his body rejected them giving him the "Degredation", his mutation was that he could apply his abilities into other living things or "clones" and thats why the creatures have his face.

Both of these candidates were extremely strong from the Jenova cells

Sephiroth was Hojo and Lucrecia's son and while unborn he was injected with Jenova cells before Lucrecia gave birth to him, his body became one with the Jenova Cells and he body never rejected them creating a new type of cell the "S Cell"

In Crisis Core, Genesis is trying to get "S Cells" as they do not cause body degradation and is the only way it can save him.

Later on in the game when Zack and Cloud are caught and put in Mako experiments for 5 years, Cloud originally could not join SOLDIER as he never passed their tests for Jenova Cell injection and most candidates who were injected with Jenova Cells ended up dying or not fusing properly, after the 5 years of experimentation it turns out that Cloud was injected with Sephiroths "S Cells" and he survives and his body becomes one with them, making him extremely powerful and the only true person to be able to take on Sephiroth (it also makes him a valuable asset to SHINRA as he is the only person to fuse with S Cell correctly).

From here Zacks body is starting to deprecate over time and Cloud has Mako Posioning, I wont spoil the end but from there Cloud is technically one of the most powerful SOLDIERS because his body accepted the S Cells so he could potentially be Sephiroths Equal.

Its confusing as fuck and I might of got some stuff wrong but the S Cell injection and more are now making a huge impact on the alternate timeline in FF7 Remake.

Hope this helps
I haven't finished the game, don't get me wrong because im still enjoying the story 🤭

Only finished FFVII Remake and watched the movie so i don't know much outside of those but its its still fun to play a prequel with the characters younger selves

Oberstein

FloC3Y6XoAIr6xc

Neff

I am at chapter 4... how man i suppose to clear those 6 star mission? Mob there 1 shot me

As far as not getting killed goes, you'll need to boost VIT (physical defence) and SPR (magic defence). Equip accessories and Materia which will bump these up.

For handling aggressive mobs, find, steal or make Darkness and boost it with ATK. For a Materia you can get relatively early, it's a god damn beast and borderline breaks the game, even on hard.

-AOE with great range
-Good damage, massive at higher levels
-Spammable due to short casting
-Ignores elements, defence and buffs
-Hits airborne and grounded enemies
-Doesn't consume MP or AP (uses HP instead)

You'll want to complement it with a good healing Materia, so I recommend Curaga with a HP boost. An endure accessory is useful as well, so that your attack will hit even if you're interrupted. Go nuts.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It’s different now because the upscaling was SO BAD. I’m still not over it.

These were cool but I thought they were way too short this time around!

Yeah, it's ridiculously noticeable when the still images from the FMV's pop up in the corner during modulating phase and they look fucking PRISTINE in their little corner box. Oh what could Have been.

Also, beat Minerva for the first time ever tonight. That was cool.

Kacho

Gold Member
Theatrhythm got me jonesin for some Final Fantasy so I grabbed this and completed it in about a week and a half.

Not as good as I remember! If you strip the nostalgia you’re left with a pretty bad game. It was a novel experience back in the day but definitely doesn’t hold up.

My biggest issue was the story. It’s utter fucking nonsense lol. When it stays true to what was established in FFVII it’s great. Those memba berries taste good. However when it veers off into Nomora fanfic territory it’s impossible to stay engaged. People don’t talk or act like normal humans lol. It’s kinda creepy in a way, like something an AI would conjure up.

Anyway, I enjoyed it enough to stick with it to the end, even though I started skipping a lot of the cutscenes. Glad to be done with it so I can move on to a palate cleanser.

I got it 'cause I wanted to be up to speed before Rebirth comes out. I love the style of the battle system in these games... but I'm having a hard time staying interested in this game. Zack is so annoying, and the story pace is grueling, at least early on.

Does the game get better? Does Zack get better? He's such a contrast to Cloud.

Kacho

Gold Member
I got it 'cause I wanted to be up to speed before Rebirth comes out. I love the style of the battle system in these games... but I'm having a hard time staying interested in this game. Zack is so annoying, and the story pace is grueling, at least early on.

Does the game get better? Does Zack get better? He's such a contrast to Cloud.
Not really. The whole experience is kinda at the same level for the majority of the game. Zach has a visual change halfway through but he doesn’t grow or anything. You’ll have this super dramatic moment and then 30 seconds later Zach is like, yeah let’s eat these apples guys!

You basically just go through the motions to get to the very few high points.

Top Bottom