• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Credit Suisse upgrades Nintendo rating, expects 130m Switches by 2022

ramparter

Banned
Ya okay... lmao. No one's going to buy a 720-1080p console/handheld in the next few years. 2022? lol
I love how people think everyone have the same standards as themselves. Many people don't care that much about resolution and others don't care at all. Otherwise 3DS would have been dead. For me 720p is more than enough not only for my handheld experience but also for my 49" TV since I'm playing from 2 meters far.

boiled goose

good with gravy
So, wait, this is because of that whole (if 1% of China buys it) theory? Ahah ahaha ahaha. Wait.... ahaha aha. This is benderlaughing.gif type of response that must be given. Has China demonstrated that anything other then personal phones or PCs sell as far as gaming goes? PS4 and Xbone are not doing too hot. Nintendo or Sony handhelds never sold well (of course not allowed officially) and there is no culture there of folks paying $30-60 per game since vast majority of successful titles are F2P.

I still don't see above 3DS level success here, maybe I am wrong and Nintendo blows it out of the park and sells 80 mil in 5 years. 130mil though and because of China Tencent deal👍😂.

Why would you expect the 3ds to do better than the switch? The switch is more expensive and tracking it's sales. It will also get better support both from Nintendo and third parties

Theonik

Why would you expect the 3ds to do better than the switch? The switch is more expensive and tracking it's sales. It will also get better support both from Nintendo and third parties
Tracking it to the 3DS or DS at this point doesn't tell you anything. Both systems sold poorly early in their lives.

Majmun

Even if I haven't touched my Switch in over a month, I really hope it's going to sell 130mln.

It's such a great device. And so much potential for redesigns.

Tracking it to the 3DS or DS at this point doesn't tell you anything. Both systems sold poorly early in their lives.

The Switch seems to be tracking ahead of the 3DS even post price cut, basically everywhere but Japan. And that's solely due to it not having enough stock.

The fact that it's doing this while still at full price should indicate that the sales ceiling after a price drop or two is probably a good deal higher than the 3DS's.

Even if I haven't touched my Switch in over a month, I really hope it's going to sell 130mln.

It's such a great device. And so much potential for redesigns.

Do yourself a favor and get Mario + Rabbids. Soooo good.

DKPOWPOW

It's definitely possible. I mean, the appeal is there. Just depends on Nintendo. If they release a mini and XL versions it'll probably happen, we already have 2 in the household because they're right.

It is going to sell like a handheld, but it's going to sell like a handheld+ because hooking it up to the TV is easy and works well. A lot of the games look surprisingly good on a big 1080p TV (sorry people, most of us do not have 4k TVs and probably won't for 2-3 years).

But it is also just not as portable as the 3ds, you can't just slip it into your back pocket so I feel it really won't tap into that market until they have a mini version. Clamshell design where the removable mini joy-cona slide into the top cover so when closing it's just like a 3DS. Still works wirelessly with all Joy-Cons.

Also, they still need apps, but I kinda feel like that might be a bigger hit on the XL version. As of now it's a games only machine, but if you wanna hit that mass market having Netflix and Hulu and other apps would broaden it's appeal as a tablet like device.

I can see this thing selling for years if they price it right. Hopefully they don't get greedy, I wouldn't launch the mini or an XL for 2 years. At that time, drop the price. Mini for $200, standard for $250 w/ a game, XL for $300. But the XL should be BIG, like a 10 - 12 inch screen.

Top Bottom