• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Creator of Days Gone- John Garvin- LiveStream Friday 11am- and yeah, he's talking about the article.

MrSarcastic

Banned
Playstation PR have been sweating their balls off for the past 3 weeks; it seems the drama is going to continue for at least one week more. Now they know how team Xbox felt over several years.

yurinka

Big props, davidjaffe davidjaffe . Mumbauer, Jeff and no John. That's 3 very interesting interviews more, and more gaming journalism, than many gaming media outlets made in the last year or so.

Send him a big hug and tell him we love Days Gone, the Syphon Filter games, Golden Abyss and many other games more bend made. And tell Jimbo I want to play Days Gone 2 asap. If they want to release before the TLOU multiplayer game, the Uncharted spin-off and a Bend new IP it would be ok for me, but I want to see that manly main character back. Games need more manly main characters.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Friday 11am PST over on the channel: youtube.com/davidjaffegames

John Garvin- Creator, Writer, Director of DAYS GONE, the entire Syphon Filter series, Golden Abyss, Resistance Retribution, and a SHIT TON MORE- is coming on the stream.

And yeah,he read the article. And yeah-the man likes to talk.

Hope to see ya live.
JtX6kTQ.jpg

JAFFE

Thank you for offering such quality content.

The God of War games on PSP were developed by Ready at Dawn, not Bend Studio. I agree that those games were quite impressive.

That said, Bend Studio did some good work of their own on PSP, including the Syphon Filter games and Resistance: Retribution.

That's right I just got it mixed up. Never had a chance to play Resistance Retribution.

Portugeezer

Playstation PR have been sweating their balls off for the past 3 weeks; it seems the drama is going to continue for at least one week more. Now they know how team Xbox felt over several years.
Same thing was said when Sony was quiet before the PS5 launch, then PS5 came and broke records.

A lot of games media make a bigger deal out of these things than is necessary.

yurinka

They shouldn't give a fuck about gossips that doesn't affect even a 1% of their userbase. They need to announce stuff at the right moment, that isn't when Jason decides to leak their projects.

They now should be focused on selling the games they will release in the next couple of months like Returnal or Ratchet, plus preparing an E3/summer online event that would blow people away announcing a couple of big H1 2021/ 2022 exclusives like Spider-Man 2 and the ND+Bend multiplayer game or some new IP (from SSM or Guerrilla?) and showing GoW Ragnarok, Horizon 2, GT7 and other H2 2021/H1 2022 AAA and indie exclusives they have, announced or not, published by them or by 3rd party.

Last edited:

MrSarcastic

Banned
They shouldn't give a fuck about gossips that doesn't affect even a 1% of their userbase. They need to announce stuff at the right moment, that isn't when Jason decides to leak their projects.

They now should be focused on selling the games they will release in the next couple of months like Returnal or Ratchet, plus preparing an E3/summer online event that would blow people away announcing a couple of big H1 2021/ 2022 exclusives like Spider-Man 2 and the ND+Bend multiplayer game or some new IP (from SSM or Guerrilla?) and showing GoW Ragnarok, Horizon 2, GT7 and other H2 2021/H1 2022 AAA and indie exclusives they have, announced or not, published by them or by 3rd party.
PR absolutely should care about the PS brand perception (it's kind of their work), But that doesn't mean they need to damage control everything, Yes, I agree they should focus on selling their games but not only on that because Game Pass has reached this momentum of "is not about the quality of games but the value for money that you get" No one is talking about PSNow, is like it doesn't exist that's is a PR failure too.

Camreezie

This should have been another breakout series for Sony, it could've used some more distance from The Last of Us in their events. Hopefully they come to their senses and we get a Days Gone game this generation at least

yurinka

PR absolutely should care about the PS brand perception (it's kind of their work), But that doesn't mean they need to damage control everything,
Yes

Yes, I agree they should focus on selling their games but not only on that because Game Pass has reached this momentum of "is not about the quality of games but the value for money that you get" No one is talking about PSNow, is like it doesn't exist that's is a PR failure too.
As of now they are selling console at a pace nobody else in gaming history did and there's such a demand that new shipments get sold out in a few minutes. PS4 the console who sold more games in gaming history, with over 1.5B. Sony's game subscriptions generate way more revenue and have more subscribers paying a full subscription than the MS ones. These are the important things.

They don't care about what a few people (less than 0.1% of their userbase) say in game forums. As of now they don't give a fuck about Gamepass and Xbox because isn't a threat for them. They know MS is throwing Billions to the garbage bin purchasing studios and giving away day one all their 1st party, 2nd party games, and even paying big and small 3rd partys to do the same, because they are desperate and doesn't have any other option to get some attention. Just to say they have a lot of subscribers even if most of them don't pay a shit and/or are there because got a free 3 months trial somewhere.

Current MS strategy doesn't make sense at all on a business perspective. And would make less sense for Sony to implement it, because unlike MS they aren't desperate. The current Sony strategy is performing better than any console maker had in gaming history and they are in a growing trend, so it would be stupid to change it too much.

But even considering all this, they know that have to reach, because if people gets used to play brand new big games with green MC score (unlike the big amount of yellow ones we saw in GP), then an important amount of people will stop buying games because they will be playing only the GP ones.

So they will need to react somewhere in the future, and they said to be working on improvements for PS Now in several areas. But I think their take shouldn't be to put their (and 3rd party) AAA games day one on PS Now. It should be to merge the game downloads part of PS Plus into PS Now, and to include in these games added monthly some brand new cool 3rd party indie plus some AAA 1st/2nd/3rd party games that were released like 6 months or a year ago, once their sales die after some temporary discounts and permanent price drops.

By doing that, their game subscription would be more appealing but wouldn't kill their super profitable day one sales and PS Now would remaing as a profitable business.

A nice extra would be to emulate the digital PS1 classics on PS4+PS5, adding to your PSN account to download for free the ones you purchased on PSP, PS3 and PS Vita. On top on that, include them on PS Now to stream or to download to make the PS Now catalog grow to over a thousand games. And on top of that add some extra digital PS2 games to the ones that already are available on PS4, PS5 and PS Now.

Sony doesn't need two zombie games. What they actually need is a WRPG to compete with Elder Scrolls and Starfield.
This would be if the next Elder Scrolls and Starfield aren't released on PS5 day one or after a timed console exclusive. Rember that the ones who aren't from MS, like the ones from Ubisoft, EA or CD Project will be on PS5 too, and very likely on most cases as the lead platform (with the exception of a few PC centric companies like CD Project, whose main platform is PC).

There are more big selling WRPGs than big selling zombie games on PS5. This is why they did bet on zombies over WRPG.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Bump. I think this should start in about half an hour, for those who're interested. I won't be listening myself, but I look forward to hearing any tidbits Garvin might drop.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Imma be real, whoever green lit Days Gone wasn’t thinking straight. Did WWS really need another zombie game? TLOU takes care of that.

Fake

Days Gone shits all over TLOU as a game for me personally.

Not to mention Days Gone is a open world, unlike TLOUS. Even if people get no attached to the plot, there are other things to do on a open world. There is a fun aspect, with is more strong than TLOUS with took a linear route.

While in TLOUS people need to get over and over with NEW GAME PLAY PLUS, on Days Gone you can either start a NG+ or stay on your save slot doing what you've been doing since the start.

And Days Gone is really focus on zombies, aka freakers, unlike TLOUS with mix zombies with human people dark lore.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Imma be real, whoever green lit Days Gone wasn’t thinking straight. Did WWS really need another zombie game? TLOU takes care of that.

Its not really a "zombie" game. its an open world action game where some of the enemies are mutated humans and animals. At no point does it ever really veer into the horror genre. Its much more Mad Max than 28 Days Later, most definitely more so than TLOU.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Personal opinions aside, strategically it doesn’t make sense.
I guess.... but I feel like DG is way more of a zombie game than TLOU is. Relied on them for actual gameplay purposes far more than TLOU.

But they could have made it about really fast alien invaders and I wouldn't care; I'm a gameplay guy.. lol

bitbydeath

I’ll have to go back and watch later, it sounded like he inadvertently said Days Gone 2 was greenlit when he was there.

Edit: Maybe it was just that they were working on it before getting the green light since he left so soon.

Last edited:

Fake

It would make sense few years back. Now Metacritic is filled with trolls, woke, anti-woke, SJW BS agenda that most jornos don't even finish the games.

No. No make sense since no game can be perfect. 'Oh but metacritic is infected by trolls', don't matter at all. We still have game journalists with can't even press the jump button.

Is fun the score war, but from company pespective is nonsense.

Look, try to launch GTAV today... do you think would get a decent score?

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
No. No make sense since no game can be perfect. 'Oh but metacritic is infected by trolls', don't matter at all. We still have game journalists with can even press the jump button.

Honestly though, a French journalist reached Jeff and said the game was unplayable and filled with bugs before day one patch. So probably that made it get that score as well. That's something we shouldn't escape, I think. Metacritic been usually good indication of what to expect, although the shit reviews involved.

Fake

Honestly though, a French journalist reached Jeff and said the game was unplayable and filled with bugs before day one patch. So probably that made it get that score as well. That's something we shouldn't escape, I think. Metacritic been usually good indication of what to expect, although the shit reviews involved.

I watched the recent Mario 3D World DLC review, and the game decrease the score because he want to not lose a life when he fall the edge.

This is nonsense dude. Score don't tell shit. From both sides, gamers or journalist, don't matter. Sony have tools to collect proper data instead of rely in Metacritic bullshit.

ManaByte

Gold Member
No. No make sense since no game can be perfect. 'Oh but metacritic is infected by trolls', don't matter at all. We still have game journalists with can't even press the jump button.

Look, try to launch GTAV today... do you think would get a decent score?

The problem is people at the top of game companies these days usually come from outside of the industry as opposed to working their way up from the trenches. That fancy business school MBA they have doesn't teach them the nuances of what makes a good game, and instead want to rely on a single website number to tell them if the game their company made is good or not.

Keihart

Cool interview, but i gotta say. When i heard something like they thinking that games can't convey strong emotions without cutscenes i got super triggered, considering that one of the best games to succeed at precisely that it's The Last Guardian.
The way that game builds the bond between the characters and how it's translated to you it's amazing and most of it occurs outside cutscenes.

I hope David Jaffe keeps trying to do this type of content, it's always cool to hear people inside of the industry talk about the process. Maybe get Bruce Straley next? wink wonk
nicolas cage wink GIF

Top Bottom