• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crazy Fair food season is here: Deep-fried Starbucks spotted at San Diego County Fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Deep-Fried Starbucks Among the Insane Fare at San Diego County Fair

Coming in strong for the 2015 season is an item you may have previously thought was un-deep-fryable: coffee. That’s right, there’s deep-fried Starbucks at this year’s San Diego County Fair. Bacon A-Fair, a popular vendor there, takes finely-ground Starbucks coffee, infuses it in a sweet pastry dough, deep-fries it until golden, rolls it in sugar and serves it with whipped cream.

“So you have that coffee, sugar and cream effect,” Bacon A-Fair owner and deep-fried coffee inventor Mike Peterson told ABC News. “It gets golden crunchy on the outside and it’s sweet and gooey on the inside, and the coffee is melted into the dough and it gets a good buzz going.”

Peterson thought up the idea as a way to avoid going to the bathroom so many times after drinking liquid coffee.

“I thought it would be great to have a caffeine shot in a form that was not liquid, so I started playing around with different ways we could deep fry it,” he said. “We’ve been having a hard time even keeping it. They’ve been our big seller this year.”

Bacon A-Fair has other crazy items at this year’s fair -– which is the country’s fourth largest -– such as deep-fried foot-long bacon, bacon-wrapped turkey legs and a bacon wrapped wasabi bomb.

ht_starbucks_lb_15061t2pda.jpg

A couple of years ago I had a deep fried mac and bacon cheeseburger. I knew it was going to get messy so I got naked when I took a shit later that night.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
A couple of years ago I had a deep fried mac and bacon cheeseburger. I knew it was going to get messy so I got naked when I took a shit later that night.

I'd imagine coffee grounds make for a pretty uncomfortable shit, too. I got a bag of chocolate covered espresso beans back in the day. The beans come out in about the same state as they go in. If you don't chew thoroughly, it's like pooping razor blades.

It'll be better with finely-ground beans, but Starbucks coffee is ass so why bother anyway.

Acidote

Some pics look just like delicious "buñuelos", a deep fried dough served with sugar, hot chocolate sauce...

I expected much worse when I opened the thread.

I actually envisioned this as a deep fried thing in the shape the liquid would take when inside the coffee cup and for it to still be liquid coffe inside.

That isn't too crazy. Sounds tasty though.

Here is my personal contribution:

Flame Hots - Pulse in food processor until crumbed.
Flour - add salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, onion powder, and garlic powder.

Mix the two above to create Flamin' Flour

Chicken thighs and wings - coated in above mixture

Deep fry for your pathway to Heaven.

Well, I like to be a man of my word so...

Heaven is pretty tasty. I'll make a dipping sauce with some funyuns or something next time.

andycapps

I thought they'd figured out a way to deep fry liquid coffee. This is just a coffee flavored donut. I don't see what's the big deal. I'd try it, though it annoys me how they say they deep fried Starbucks. Starbucks isn't a thing, it's a brand. They deep fried coffee grounds with donut batter, that's all.

I must be in the minority to not find eating grounded coffee beans remotely appetizing.

Because that doesn't sound appetizing.

Good lord people will deep fry anything won't they?

Must be like eating a solid laxative that tastes nice and then just randomly releases in your bowel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom