• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CRACKDOWN 3 |OT| The Cloud Only Plays Multiplayer Games. BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!!!

I'm at 13 hours now and I have 2 bosses left. I decided to kill them all, because why the hell would you not? I've really enjoyed the platforming and finding agility orbs and even grinding the map markers. Though, I'm pretty burnt out on the formula at this point, I must admit.

I was going around clearing out the last few "doxic bipelines" and just felt annoyed by how many enemies the game starts throwing at you in the late game on this harder difficulty. Everything you do results in a mass assault at this point. I should probably go ahead and just kill the last 2 bosses.

One random thing that amazes me is the complete lack of presence on Twitch. Right now the game has 4 viewers. There are FOUR people in the world watching this game on Twitch. I've never seen a game with lower viewership on Twitch.

Best way to avoid starting a lockdown or raising your wanted level is actually to go kill the bosses early or just ignore the grunts when they shoot at you. They aren't doing significant damage and as long as you don't fight back your wanted level isn't raised. Lockdown will happen from time to time until you take out the last boss. After killing it, I've only run into one lockdown because I got a bit too close to a convoy, then decided to pick the convoy up and throw it at the moon.

Twitch thing isn't all that surprising, streamers are trying to be famous, this game wasn't well received, nobody is searching for it. Anyone that likes it is either playing it or is finished playing it.

I'm at 13 hours now and I have 2 bosses left. I decided to kill them all, because why the hell would you not? I've really enjoyed the platforming and finding agility orbs and even grinding the map markers. Though, I'm pretty burnt out on the formula at this point, I must admit.

I was going around clearing out the last few "doxic bipelines" and just felt annoyed by how many enemies the game starts throwing at you in the late game on this harder difficulty. Everything you do results in a mass assault at this point. I should probably go ahead and just kill the last 2 bosses.

One random thing that amazes me is the complete lack of presence on Twitch. Right now the game has 4 viewers. There are FOUR people in the world watching this game on Twitch. I've never seen a game with lower viewership on Twitch.

Youtube partnered franchise, 90K on Youtube gaming.

Grinchy

Banned
Best way to avoid starting a lockdown or raising your wanted level is actually to go kill the bosses early or just ignore the grunts when they shoot at you. They aren't doing significant damage and as long as you don't fight back your wanted level isn't raised. Lockdown will happen from time to time until you take out the last boss. After killing it, I've only run into one lockdown because I got a bit too close to a convoy, then decided to pick the convoy up and throw it at the moon.

Twitch thing isn't all that surprising, streamers are trying to be famous, this game wasn't well received, nobody is searching for it. Anyone that likes it is either playing it or is finished playing it.
Yeah I mostly do avoid conflict whenever possible now. It's just that even going in to clear out a pipeline means after shooting a few guys you have at least a level 1 wanted level. So you kinda just have to hop around and hack things or blow things up as fast as possible while not shooting anything and hope you don't die as the game spams a ton of mechs and snipers and drones. Luckily the level goes down when you complete the objective.

It's just a strange concept to me to avoid shooting enemies and it kinda feels a little backwards. When the best path seems to be to not shoot enemies, that's a bit of a head-scratcher in a game like this, I guess. I think they just overdid it a little bit. The lockdowns are especially annoying after the first couple times, but you can always just let yourself die. I've cleared out the vast majority of the map before beating most of the bosses so maybe that's why I'm more worn out on it.

I think my biggest problem with this game is that the city feels like a purpose built arena as opposed to a, well, city. Nothing about it makes it look or feel like a place to life, work and leisure. I may have to boot up Crackdown again, but I remember that the different environments felt lively and had some character. This feels more like some VR simulation of a city.

Caayn

Just completed the story and defeated Niemand. Final skill tally: Strength 6, everything else 5.

Overall impressions: I'm happy with the game and don't regret buying it on release.

The good: Yes the gameplay feels like a game from over a decade ago, but that's not a bad thing imo. Platforming, shooting rockets (ducks) everywhere, climbing buildings in a car, etc it all felt fun and decently executed. It felt like a modern sequel and evolution to the original Crackdown without adding too much on top which is a huge plus in my book.
From the get go I could go wherever I wanted to and use everything I stumbled upon without annoying limitations *cough* BOTW *cough*. I felt my character growing stronger over the course of the game although I had my doubts about agility being too "bionic" rather than "superhuman" but that faded once I reached higher levels.

Undecided: The bosses felt like they could've used a bit more work. While a lot of them had their own execution of the same concept (mech) only Breg (the very first one), Roxy, Quest and Niemand where unique. Not bad per se but the mech battles felt like they could've used a bit more work as they now felt a bit too bullet spongey.

The bad: I miss the transforming car. Having one vehicle that can transform into a tank, race or stunt vehicle was handy to have but it lacked the charm of seeing your vehicle grow with you as you progressed.
Some strange issues such as not always being able to summon the vehicle on the first try when you're standing on a road with seemingly nothing blocking it. Nothing too annoying or game breaking.
Draw distance for orbs felt a bit too short.
Tad on the short side, could've been a bit longer.
Echo's voice actor's accent is kinda annoying. The way she pronounces all words that start with a T as a D (Dake out those durrets, Doxic, Deranova, ect) and then P words are a B (Bipeline, Bowers, ect). I don't know why but I can't help but focus on it every time her voiceovers pop up.
Did you? I kinda liked it, felt different, but I can see how it could be annoying.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Did you? I kinda liked it, felt different, but I can see how it could be annoying.
Agreed with most of those impressions. As far as the voice actor, I dunno if annoying was the right word. It just stuck out so much and once I got to the point where she was warning me of "incoming 'gilling matcheens'" for the 50th time it was just too much. Maybe it was that her voice popped up with those same lines every time something that had become annoying hours ago was taking place.

RPS37

14 hours. Level 5 everything, except 4 driving. Starting to burn out and I’ve still got a few bosses left. :(

Agreed with most of those impressions. As far as the voice actor, I dunno if annoying was the right word. It just stuck out so much and once I got to the point where she was warning me of "incoming 'gilling matcheens'" for the 50th time it was just too much. Maybe it was that her voice popped up with those same lines every time something that had become annoying hours ago was taking place.

Echo's voiec actor Ulka Mohanty just wasn't in the same league a some of the other VAs, it was her first role in a game and voice acting a game can be really tough as you don't even know what the scenario will be where the voice is going to be featured. I do think games should have additional lines recorded that slowly filter in and out of rotation to avoid hearing the same lines ultiple times in a row. Terry was excellent, and stuck to his usual insane rant-filled hilarious insanity I like him for "Fuck you gravity!". The Commander was voiced by Michael McConnohie who has done voice work in almost everything ever made. I never get tired of his lines. Pretty much the entire cast is composed of long-time voice actors with long running carreers.

TLZ

Banned
Echo's voice actor's accent is kinda annoying. The way she pronounces all words that start with a T as a D (Dake out those durrets, Doxic, Deranova, ect) and then P words are a B (Bipeline, Bowers, ect). I don't know why but I can't help but focus on it every time her voiceovers pop up.
And I thought I was alone. That's exactly the problem for me with the voice actor. Her accent stuck out WAY too much to the point I felt distracted every single time she spoke. Many times I couldn't understand what she was saying.

The bigger issue for me with her wasn't that though, it was her sheer enthusiasm! (Being sarcastic of course). Compared to the other male person, she never sounded like she cared. I always had this feeling like she's reading a bedtime story. Her tone is so bad. At times she spoke about brutal instances like we're going for a picnic. No enthusiasm. Dead. Like, show some oomph fgs. So add her very distracting accent to that and... Ugh. I wish they gave us choice to pick who we want.

I'd rather both shut up though. Many a time they spoke when totally unneeded.

TLZ

Banned
Echo's voiec actor Ulka Mohanty just wasn't in the same league a some of the other VAs, it was her first role in a game and voice acting a game can be really tough as you don't even know what the scenario will be where the voice is going to be featured. I do think games should have additional lines recorded that slowly filter in and out of rotation to avoid hearing the same lines ultiple times in a row. Terry was excellent, and stuck to his usual insane rant-filled hilarious insanity I like him for "Fuck you gravity!". The Commander was voiced by Michael McConnohie who has done voice work in almost everything ever made. I never get tired of his lines. Pretty much the entire cast is composed of long-time voice actors with long running carreers.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. So total lack of experience. No wonder she's so bland and unenthusiastic. Imo they shouldn't have given her the role. This game needed a lot more oomph. Not bedtime story reading.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Really hoping to see that 30fps coop lock addressed soon for PC. I haven't uninstalled this yet as I really want to play it coop, but I won't wait much longer.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Finished this today. Loved it. Old style game maybe, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Couldn't care less what the critics thought 🙂

I have gone over the entirety of New Pantheon almost a dozen times over, I'm still missing one agility orb. I'm going to have to use a guide, but I think I'll wait until an expansion is released to do it.

If anyone is interested in playing a game with similar gameplay to Crackdown, try ReCore. I'll spoiler the rest as it's off-topic.

I'm playing it right now and feel kind of disappointed that I didn't try it earlier because it was pooly reviewed. It's actually one of the better games I've played in a while. The gameplay is almost identical to Crackdown's, lock-on shooting, quick switch weapon variations, and the game focuses entirely on platforming at times trying to find parts for yout robots and life bar expansions. Jumping mechanics are a bit more advanced than Crackdown but you get a forward boost dash and double jump that you can chain for more distance (boost front the edge of a cliff doesn't remove your air boost, then jump 1, then air boost, then jump 2) Camera control is not as well implemented as Crackdown when platforming but there is always a yellow reticle on the ground directly below you which helps. The camera is sometimes taken over to direct you where the game wants you to go which gets annoying but it's rare. The game is not hand-holdy at all, and you are free to pretty much go where you please when you please, and some things aren't really even explained to you, but by fiddling around you'll figure it all out. The game is a massive overworld with dungeon areas, so in that way it plays like Zelda:BotW. You explore the overworld trying to unlock the dungeons. There are pure platforming dungeons, combat areana dungeons, and exploration based dungeons. Each dungeon ends with a reward room, and to get everything you have to meet each objective and a time limit. At the same time, it's a loot shooter like Borderlands, as you constantly get rewarded with more upgrades for your robots, hundreds of them. You get a bunch of robots that have different capabilities to help you along, they help you fight but also work as items to unlock things in the world (Dog-bot can dig, Gorilla-bot can smash rocks, Spider bot can climb things and drag you along for the ride, fly-bot is the glider from Zelda, and tank-bot is a segway scooter on steroids). The story is kind of bare-bones but interesting enough. It's play-anywhere and on Gamepass so if you tried Crackdown with Gamepass and liked it you might like this game to. I'm playing on PC and it's running super stable, 4K/60 with no issues, and it looks pretty good.

RPS37

What's in the new update?

Just downloaded Crackdown 2 as well and trying it out. Forgot if I played it before.
It’s 9GB.

CAMPAIGN:
Crime Map Updated

Now any District that you have completed 100% will turn blue on the Crime Map! 100% means completing all objectives and side missions, getting a Gold medal on all Rooftop and Road Races, destroying all Monkey Moonshine Kiosks, and collecting all Agility and Hidden Orbs.

Boss Fight Balance Updates

We’ve heard feedback from lots of you that the Ngata and Niemand boss fights are much too difficult on Super Agent and Legendary—and we agree. So we’ve made the following changes:

The Ngata fight has been rebalanced on all difficulty levels by adjusting the spawn waves and limiting the snipers with Omni Rifles to the upper platforms.
The Niemand fight has been rebalanced on all difficulty levels by adjusting the spawn waves and limiting number of Hades units to 4, along with reducing their projectile damage globally/throughout the game

PC Improvements:

Hitching on PC with some graphics cards has been improved.

Game Improvements:

Added the ability to delete World Saves while in Co-Op.
Added the ability to disable damage numbers in gameplay.
Added checkpoints and player camera improvements to the Science Center.

Other Bug Fixes and Improvements:

Reduced the number of Industry drones that attack the player during a level 3 Escalation.
Fixed an issue where Industry Drones could fire from a range farther than their threat Icon would render on the HUD.
Increased the impulse on the Anubis weapon.
Adjusted camera shake on most weapons.
Adjusted the damage curve for the Pulse Beam weapon.
Reduced repetition of some lines of dialog.
Fixed an issue where only one player would hear Khan’s dialog in a co-op boss fight.
Fixed an issue where AI would sometimes get stuck inside their spawn door.
Fixed an issue where elevators would stop working when jammed by an object.
Fixed an issue where vehicles could get stuck in geometry in certain areas of the map.
Fixed an issue where AI would slide on the ground when existing vehicles.
Fixed an issue where a player carrying an object could get stuck in geometry.
Multiple audio and haptics feedback improvements throughout the game.
WRECKING ZONE:
Hitching on PC with some graphics cards has been improved.
Accessibility options have been improved, specifically Text To Speech.
Several other bug fixes and improvements have been made.
Party Support continues to be worked on! It’s not in this patch, but don’t worry – it will be coming!

LMJ

I am really glad to see the developers continuing to support this game despite its very negative reviews, as someone who really enjoyed the game this is awesome.:goog_lol:

Especially when you consider certain developers get great reviews and then barely support their game even when the few updates actually do more harm than good...

looking at you just cause 3:goog_mad:

Grinchy

Banned
I wish I had waited for that patch before playing. They fixed a lot of things that annoyed the shit out of me during my playthrough.

Xenon

Oof that hurts. All that work wasted.

Yeah I was pretty bummed. It wasn't that hard getting back up there. Then just I just used the normal version of the car and slowly rolled off.

First you clear the building of enemies, makes life easier. Then connect the power sources at the top of the tower. Once they're activated the fans on the side pillar shoot you all the way to the top. So you really only have to make it up half way.

Last edited:

louis89

I was once this game's biggest defender but honestly the more I've played it the more I've turned against it. This video sums up a lot of my complaints and doesn't even fully cover the fact that the driving controls are completely broken, the bosses are all the same boring mech fight copy pasted, the sound effects are much worse and the audio often cuts out, etc. I have done a total 180 from my previous stance and I now understand and agree with why people gave it 5/10. It's just not acceptable for a current gen game that was feature complete in 2017.

ph33rknot

Banned
I was once this game's biggest defender but honestly the more I've played it the more I've turned against it. This video sums up a lot of my complaints and doesn't even fully cover the fact that the driving controls are completely broken, the bosses are all the same boring mech fight copy pasted, the sound effects are much worse and the audio often cuts out, etc. I have done a total 180 from my previous stance and I now understand and agree with why people gave it 5/10. It's just not acceptable for a current gen game that was feature complete in 2017.
I had a ton of fun with it can't wait for dlc

oldergamer

I think people forget how long it takes to make a GTA clone ( minus cutscenes ) with the original crackdown. I mean most of the functionality in the game originally came from GTA. They had to recreate this in unreal ( which I think nobody has done until now? ). One thing I saw in the video that was incorrect was that targeting tires isn't possible in the new game until a higher level. Also you can't send cars flying in the air with a ground pound unless you do it from a bigger height. However the car physics aren't very good and need to be improved. I would also redo the agency vehicles.

Still there's a level of interaction that we don't see in the new game. Specifically with vehicles. I think there's a lot that can be done to make the vehicles better in the new game ( you should be able to flip vehicles and use them as cover imo ). More interactions with the pedestrians.

The multiplayer doesn't appeal to me unless its more like the single player game on a small island. co-op multiplayer is better then the wrecking zone imo. wrecking zone is missing the majority of the elements that make the game fun Vehicles, pedestrians, random enemies.

oldergamer

Imo, since they recreated the original tech with the first game in unreal for crackdown 3, I think they should make crackdown 4 and expand on it.

once you beat crackdown 3, they should reintroduce gangs and precincts, and give you missions that make you feel like a cop again.

Xenon

No denying MS sent this game to die after the original concept pitch of building it around cloud tech failed to turn into anything worth selling. Then they spent three years backpedaling while a team put together a enjoyable single player campaign all while still salvaging something from the original concept to pass off as a multiplayer mode. The PR around this game was a complete failure and set expectations that they never lived up to.

I just finished it on super-agent difficulty and I had a lot of fun. Also the down scaling of the interaction with citizens never really bother me and I say that having just gone through Crackdown 1 completely recently. The cars however did bother me a little. The inconsistent destruction and physics could have used more work. Still I got over it quick. The agent mobility improvements along with the division of the game in sections for tasks and orb counts more than made up for it.

Last edited:

Xenon

I have one freaking hidden orb left to find in the center and need to beat the final boss on legendary for my 100%. Those races were brutal but strangely rewarding. No guides so far but this last orb....

outsida

What confused me the most about this game is that it was on sale for £50 in Game, but gamepass was £40, with Crackdown as a title.

Why purchase one game for £50 when I could have many games for £40? :pie_thinking:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
What confused me the most about this game is that it was on sale for £50 in Game, but gamepass was £40, with Crackdown as a title.

Why purchase one game for £50 when I could have many games for £40? :pie_thinking:

Why stream a movie for $5 when I can own it for $10?

It's just your choice. Do you want to own it or so you want to play it and be done with it?

Top Bottom