• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CRACKDOWN 3 |OT| The Cloud Only Plays Multiplayer Games. BOOMSHAKALAKA!!!!!

betrayal

Banned
Phil is a human being. I'm sure he's made real life friends along the way. To suggest otherwise is extremely disingenuous and heartless.

I never said that they don't were friends, because they probably were even very good friends. I just don't liked the way he expressed his feelings linked to a new game release. For me it's insensitive when put into context (job of Phil Spencer, previous posts, etc.). I honestly don't even see a problem here. Like i said, maybe i'm right, maybe not. It's just a personal opinion and i don't claim to be right by all means.

I appreciate your explanation and that makes a bit more sense, but if you read your original post it comes off in a trolling way. "I played the game for 3 mins and now i will sell my xbox".

But if you made your original statement the same as this one, then there would be no issues with it and no one would see it as trolling.

You're right, but honestly i already forgot about the "3 minutes" statement. It wasn't supposed to be a troll post.

I never said that they don't were friends, because they probably were even very good friends. I just don't liked the way he expressed his feelings linked to a new game release. For me it's insensitive when put into context (job of Phil Spencer, previous posts, etc.). I honestly don't even see a problem here. Like i said, maybe i'm right, maybe not. It's just a personal opinion and i don't claim to be right by all means.

You're right, but honestly i already forgot about the "3 minutes" statement. It wasn't supposed to be a troll post.
Imagine a long time co-worker that passed away and you get to see his image memorized in a game like that. There's nothing wrong with referencing that, especially when some may not recognizing who it may be resembling, being he was more of a behind the scene guy.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Is just about every boss a person in a mech suit? It seems to be a pattern. The upside is I can see them from anywhere, they don't blend in with the little generic bad guys.

Climbing the towers is as sweaty palm inducing as they ever were in the original! Nice that we have little checkpoints to help with the falls though :)

RPS37

I’m really liking it now.
Just grinding mostly. Gotta get those level 6’s. Almost level 5 agility. Just got level 4 strength.
At least 4 hours in and I haven’t took out one boss yet. I’m actually having fun hopping around, climbing towers, doing rooftop and street races and trying to figure out how to get through stunt rings.

Iced Arcade

Few days in pkaying.... yeah reviewers just followed a trend of shitting sheep. Game is a blast and still vastly different than the first.

only thing i wasn't a fan of.... looks and feels like this game is set 200 years after the 1st game. They definitely tried to replicate some of the feel/humor of sunset overdrive. And firefights can be intense trying to figure where you are getting shot from.

Last edited:
The new charts from TGN show that the cloud MP, the most advertised part of Crackdown 3, is dying off fast.

The Single-player seems to be the primary reason why people are playing the game. While on one hand this means people are playing the game, it's got to be a smack in the fact that the reason for all the delays and the main feature is basically a flop!

I mean the cloud stuff was throw around for years, and it was basically for naught. Once the novelty wears off I wouldn't be surprised if people remember Cracdown 3 as a SP game.

The new charts from TGN show that the cloud MP, the most advertised part of Crackdown 3, is dying off fast.

The Single-player seems to be the primary reason why people are playing the game. While on one hand this means people are playing the game, it's got to be a smack in the fact that the reason for all the delays and the main feature is basically a flop!

I mean the cloud stuff was throw around for years, and it was basically for naught. Once the novelty wears off I wouldn't be surprised if people remember Cracdown 3 as a SP game.

Well, to be fair, there is no such thing as a cloud-powered multiplayer.

What is there is an incredibly toned-down tech demo. Not a game.

The core campaign, on the other hand, is exactly what Crackdown fans wanted: a sequel to the original (which feels a lot like a remake, which is why I love it).

Any news on the update to the pc coop?

Last edited:
Well, to be fair, there is no such thing as a cloud-powered multiplayer.

What is there is an incredibly toned-down tech demo. Not a game.

The core campaign, on the other hand, is exactly what Crackdown fans wanted: a sequel to the original (which feels a lot like a remake, which is why I love it).

Any news on the update to the pc coop?

Nope not yet, still fixing it.

louis89

I have no idea why they put so many resources into multiplayer. Nobody was asking for it. I feel like this project was totally mismanaged from the beginning.

Last edited:

nowhat

I have no idea why they put so many resources into multiplayer.
"The power of the cloud". Once the feature was advertised, you had to roll with it (especially since "the cloud" was one of the main bullet points to be sold). Even if the results were nothing like the previews.

It's great that people are having some fun with it. It's just a shame its overall taste is that of disappointment.

The price point, the delays, the broken promises, out of date gameplay, it's a shame.

I'm not surprised SP is doing better. The MP has two modes and what, 3 maps? There's no content there!

By the time they get their 50GB patch to add more MP content added the MP will be near death.

Xenon

I've been enjoying the game on Super agent difficulty. I haven't died that much and have gone through most of the first bosses. The one place I'm getting destroyed at is lock down with a combination of Drones and shield units. Normally Im not stocked with ammo when it starts since it's right after finishing a goal.

Grinchy

Banned
I've been playing a decent amount of the campaign lately. My buddy dipped out of our co-op world/characters, so I started fresh and used the Terry Crews agent this time.

I do find myself having fun at times while playing, and there are aspects that I do like about it, but it's also very primitive and simple. It really does just feel like an entire game built out of Ubisoft open world side quests.

I've actually been playing on the X instead of on PC this time. For some reason I just prefer it on X despite the bad framerate (which adds a big chunk of input lag compared to the silky PC version). It's probably just that it's hooked up to the big 4K set with HDR and a nice sound system. I just prefer that to playing on a monitor with headphones, maybe.

TLZ

Banned
I'm also enjoying it, but I can't help but feel the first Crackdown did some things better, like certain physics. Felt more immersion there.

Finished the game earlier and I have to say, I had a blast. An 8/10 blast. I loved the original Crackdown though and I feel that Sumo nailed the feel. Some things could be better such as draw distance on agility orbs but the game didn't outstay it's welcome and was complete in about 8-10 hours or so. I'd rather a game be fun for 8 hours than be 40 hours long and only fun for 20 (because I'd probably set it down and never play it again in the 'unfun' parts).

Started playing it today. It’s a fun game just like the original. Sure it looks like a 360 game upscaled but it’s fun. Gonna play coop with my kid and enjoy it for what it is.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm also enjoying it, but I can't help but feel the first Crackdown did some things better, like certain physics. Felt more immersion there.

From what I can remember of playing the first one, I also feel like I remember it having almost like actual missions. Like you'd go into a big apartment complex area and have to fight your way through to a boss. Or I remember some like rich mansion area doing a similar thing.

This game is just moving from point to point on the map and dispatching some very brain-dead groups of minions until something bigger spawns in front of you and you kill that too. The first one seemed to handle these kinds of things better. It's fine if you're in a "turn your brain off and grind" mood but it's hard to give it a whole lot of credit for being this basic.

RPS37

I know I was basically talking shit a couple posts ago, but I’m actually kind of addicted at this point.
New milestones:
Got half of the stunt rings
Got half of the monkey moonshines
Got like 45 hidden orbs
Got level 5 agility
Got 4.9 in almost everything else

I want to know how far reviewers got before they decided it was a turd.
I’m not even worrying about taking on all of the bosses, I’m just having fun making sure I’m overpowered when I do.
Another thing. Something that has been streamlined to make the game more fun is the way if you pick up a weapon it automatically becomes something you can put in your load out. Same with vehicles. It’s cool.

Anyway, obsessed. It’s not a masterpiece by a long stretch and it probably should’ve launched at a cheaper price, but it’s still good.

Grinchy

Banned
I've only killed one boss so far on this world file and I'm already at level 5 agility and in the 4s for some other things. I think I might need to stop clearing entire sectors and just start sprinting through the rest of the game or I will burn myself out before I finish it.

Uhm, did the game just bug out, or did they seriously not bother with animating the legs of foot soldiers? They are just sliding everywhere, it almost makes them look like toy soldiers lol.

Grinchy

Banned
Uhm, did the game just bug out, or did they seriously not bother with animating the legs of foot soldiers? They are just sliding everywhere, it almost makes them look like toy soldiers lol.
lmao yeah it seems like whenever they come out of cars (when backup is called) they don't have moving animations. They just skid along with straight legs. It looks absolutely ridiculous.

TLZ

Banned
Just finished it with strength maxed out, the rest on level 5 and driving on level 3.

Will have some fun with the agency spider car now and try jump through a few hoops.

Also collected about 650 green orbs and a 103 hidden ones. Can't be bothered looking for any. Most of them I happened to come across anyway, so if I come across more would be a bonus.

I think the most weapon I've used was the Mass Driver. But near the end I went with the Plasma Rifle, Ragnarok, Homing Rocket and Incendiary Charge combo.

Where do I check how many hours I've played?

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Echo's voice actor's accent is kinda annoying. The way she pronounces all words that start with a T as a D (Dake out those durrets, Doxic, Deranova, ect) and then P words are a B (Bipeline, Bowers, ect). I don't know why but I can't help but focus on it every time her voiceovers pop up.

Arun1910

I know I was basically talking shit a couple posts ago, but I’m actually kind of addicted at this point.
New milestones:
Got half of the stunt rings
Got half of the monkey moonshines
Got like 45 hidden orbs
Got level 5 agility
Got 4.9 in almost everything else

I want to know how far reviewers got before they decided it was a turd.
I’m not even worrying about taking on all of the bosses, I’m just having fun making sure I’m overpowered when I do.
Another thing. Something that has been streamlined to make the game more fun is the way if you pick up a weapon it automatically becomes something you can put in your load out. Same with vehicles. It’s cool.

Anyway, obsessed. It’s not a masterpiece by a long stretch and it probably should’ve launched at a cheaper price, but it’s still good.

What makes it addicting? Most of what you listed was gaining collectables, if that's the reason reviewers shouldn't have decided it was a turd... then it's not a good reason.

Finished the story. Boss battles was nothing too interesting. All mech suits and a flying mech dragon. Fun game still. Definitely worth signing up for Game Pass just to play it.

Grinchy

Banned
Man, I'm starting to really dislike the wanted system. Once you get a faction to level 3 (which is very easy in late game), there's just no getting rid of them. You can fight endlessly, get insanely lucky to find a nook somewhere where the brainless AI doesn't just know you're there and wait until they've lost you, or you can just purposely die. Not great options.

Then there are the lockdowns. The first couple times it was cool. By the 5th time when you're in late game and every faction is at level 3 and all spamming you at the same time, what is even the point anymore? Only one faction counts toward the percentage for ending the lockdown so you have 20 enemies spamming shit at you that don't matter. You have to pick out the little red ones in all of the chaos. Or, once again, you can just purposely die because it doesn't appear that the lockdown has any meaning whatsoever.

Where do I check how many hours I've played?

Time played is in the Acheivements area on the Xbone and in the Xbox app on Win10.

GMukgO9.jpg

I have a few more agility orbs left to find in New Pantheon and I can finally move on. They hid some of these really well.

TLZ

Banned
Time played is in the Acheivements area on the Xbone and in the Xbox app on Win10.

GMukgO9.jpg

I have a few more agility orbs left to find in New Pantheon and I can finally move on. They hid some of these really well.
Whoa nice stats. I love stats! Don't know how I missed that :D

So apparently I've played 18hrs so far :)

Last edited:
I've collected all the hidden orbs and 99% of the agility orbs without using a guide which has eaten up a shameful amount of my free time...

TLZ

Banned
I've collected all the hidden orbs and 99% of the agility orbs without using a guide which has eaten up a shameful amount of my free time...
Still kinda fun I think. Don't know if you had fun with them or they felt like a chore to you though :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Kinda feels like playing Mario then switching to blowing up stuff. Hehe.

RPS37

What makes it addicting? Most of what you listed was gaining collectables, if that's the reason reviewers shouldn't have decided it was a turd... then it's not a good reason.
Part of it is what collecting entails.
In order to grab some agility orbs, you’ll have to do some fun platforming.
Last night, my palms were literally sweating and I was super anxious trying to get to the top of a tower.
In order to find hidden orbs, you’ve gotta just explore and look in little books and crannies in the world.
It can be a little bit of a puzzle trying to figure out how to get through some stunt rings.
The reason I questioned how long reviewers took before they wrote the game off is because a huge part of the game (as with the first two) is leveling up your agent. The game gets more and more fun the higher your agent’s levels are. The higher your agility level, the more grippy your agent becomes.
I’m sure you could brute force the game and beat all the bosses and say you were done with a really low level agent. But it would be a terrible experience.
People have said the game is short, and they may be pretty right, but I’m at around 12 hours and I’m not nearly done.

Still kinda fun I think. Don't know if you had fun with them or they felt like a chore to you though :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Kinda feels like playing Mario then switching to blowing up stuff. Hehe.

Oh I'm still having a blast! It's the biggest reason I haven't used a guide. The movement in this game, especially once you're maxed out, is just great. I can pinpoint landings without looking down thanks to a well designed camera that pulls out more the faster you move. I've enjoyed figuring out a ton of different way to scale everything. I even like the driving, which I seem to be in the minority on. The cars drive like an old arcade racer, I was kind of let down there wasn't more racing with how many roads are in the game. Same goes for rooftop races, I would have done a hundred of them.

I'm really looking forward to any expansions they're cooking up. I really do hope they beef up Wrecking Zone too.

TLZ

Banned
Oh I'm still having a blast! It's the biggest reason I haven't used a guide. The movement in this game, especially once you're maxed out, is just great. I can pinpoint landings without looking down thanks to a well designed camera that pulls out more the faster you move. I've enjoyed figuring out a ton of different way to scale everything. I even like the driving, which I seem to be in the minority on. The cars drive like an old arcade racer, I was kind of let down there wasn't more racing with how many roads are in the game. Same goes for rooftop races, I would have done a hundred of them.

I'm really looking forward to any expansions they're cooking up. I really do hope they beef up Wrecking Zone too.
I actually haven't touched the Wrecking Zone yet. And not sure I intend to.

And yeah I agree with the jumping and landing. Feels so satisfying.

LMJ

TLZ TLZ

I'm in the same boat, level 5 in everything except strength which is level 6 just beat the game getting ready to run through it again on hard mode, the game is a freaking blast everything I wanted out of another Crackdown.

By the way, tried taking the final tower without taking out any of the generals it's a real challenge, but it is doable got all the way to the top before I got distracted by an agility orb and a collectible and then fell all the way down lol

The robot section is by far the hardest, stupid regenerating turrets lol

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I'm at 13 hours now and I have 2 bosses left. I decided to kill them all, because why the hell would you not? I've really enjoyed the platforming and finding agility orbs and even grinding the map markers. Though, I'm pretty burnt out on the formula at this point, I must admit.

I was going around clearing out the last few "doxic bipelines" and just felt annoyed by how many enemies the game starts throwing at you in the late game on this harder difficulty. Everything you do results in a mass assault at this point. I should probably go ahead and just kill the last 2 bosses.

One random thing that amazes me is the complete lack of presence on Twitch. Right now the game has 4 viewers. There are FOUR people in the world watching this game on Twitch. I've never seen a game with lower viewership on Twitch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom