• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cowboy Bebop | Trailer Livestream Event | Netflix | 4:00pm PT

Kev Kev

"Join Terri Schwartz for a special trailer livestream event featuring the world premiere of the trailer, exclusive clips and special guests. Bring your own noodles."

Just stumbled across this. Looks like we'll get a new trailer and possibly our first real clips from the live action Netflix show, plus commentary. It'll never live up to the original imo, so I'm just going to try and enjoy this live action "reimagining" for what it is 🤠

EDIT: Here it is...

EDIT 2: And here's a short clip... Starts at 24:48, in case the time stamp doesn't work...

Last edited:

*Nightwing

AQwHIbE.gif

Shouta

This trailer seemed a lot more like what I was thinking they were doing with this. It's got some of the flair from that Lost Session thing they put out but not too much. CG doesn't look shabby either? Still probably 50/50 on whether it'll be good or not though.

Javthusiast

Banned
As with Tom Holland and Marky Mark, I am not getting Spike from Cho.

Some line delivery sounds off, sets and effects do look good in some scenes, then kinda cheap in others.

Not sold still and dreading One Piece live action.

Vaelka

Danielle looked way better as Faye in the trailer, I still think that her outfit that is meant to be the one from the show looks bad tho and I still don't think she'll be the same character...
Still looks like an edgy teenage hipster girls outfit and no headband.
But at least they don't seem to be going puritan with her character.

I keep forgetting that tv and movies are actually not as bad with this as video games ( the AAA industry anyways, and outside of Disney ).
Sure there's a lot of obnoxious stuff but the gaming industry in NA is just wacky a shell, even just having '' male and female '' in character creations is now '' problematic ''.

John Cho just felt out of place tho imho.
And he was being a weirdo in the podcast.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Liked the first trailer but everything in this has to be funny or full of quips. Literally turned Bebop into Seinfeld in Space for the normals to find comfort in watching it.

Labolas

Yeah ain't interested in watching this. The cinematography looks terrible and the visuals look like a Syfy original movie. If anything I'll go and watch the superior version instead.

Nah, it is worse than I thought actually. All casting is trash with the possible exception of Jet (who was still race swapped to score woke points I guess), the sets are C-tier and apparently what they got from the original Bepop was... quips. Not the entertaining campy space adventure with a deep story and characters that get revealed over time. No, just quips, which there were very few in the original. (a joke is not by default a quip)

And they also seem to think that campy means putting in no effort, and a scene can just be "absurd" so the characters can joke about it. (very unlike the original Bepop, which put effort into every absurd seeming scenario)

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I’m in fuck it.

I hope this and the Witcher become some big name series on Netflix. Get all the filthy casuals.

you know what the original is amazing if this gets halfway there. Then yeah I’m sold.

appreciate the effort Netflix.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

I think it looks pretty great, for a live action adaption that has no chance at living up to the original, at least. They are really nailing a lot of different things, from the costumes to the sets, the music, the feel and voices of the actors. It’s way more faithful than I’d imagine it’d be and it’s also going to have its own feel to it.

No one has really figured out this whole how to make an anime live action, but Bebop seems to have come the closest yet. Now granted, Bebop is the only anime I like lol, so that’s worth noting.

In the end, I can’t really judge until it releases and I see the whole thing for myself. But what I see so far looks fun, decent quality and pretty damn close to the source material. I’m looking forward to next month.

thefool

I think it looks pretty great, for a live action adaption that has no chance at living up to the original, at least. They are really nailing a lot of different things, from the costumes to the sets, the music, the feel and voices of the actors. It’s way more faithful than I’d imagine it’d be and it’s also going to have its own feel to it.

No one has really figured out this whole how to make an anime live action, but Bebop seems to have come the closest yet. Now granted, Bebop is the only anime I like lol, so that’s worth noting.

In the end, I can’t really judge until it releases and I see the whole thing for myself. But what I see so far looks fun, decent quality and pretty damn close to the source material. I’m looking forward to next month.

Speed Racer is a great live action anime adaptation. Even the Kenshin movies, in some moments, are pretty decent.
The thing is that Bebop is basically a space-adventure show influenced by 70-80's west movies and Lupin III. There's no need for this hyper-stylization, flamboyant (almost absurdist) look, full-on gags (all the characters are probably depressed lol. The tone is so wrong). A low-key adaptation, more grounded with great set design is really the only thing it needed. Not this cartoonish mess.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Speed Racer is a great live action anime adaptation. Even the Kenshin movies, in some moments, are pretty decent.
The thing is that Bebop is basically a space-adventure show influenced by 70-80's west movies and Lupin III. There's no need for this hyper-stylization, flamboyant (almost absurdist) look, full-on gags. A low-key adaptation, more grounded with great set design is really the only thing it needed. Not this cartoonish mess.
Fair enough. Sounds like it’s not for you. Enjoy Speed Racer tho, and Kenshin (whatever that is)

Last edited:

TrueLegend

How many times and how many things Netflix is gonna ruin ....
Let me give you a hint, they will change some things....
and then

Last edited:

Durask

Confession: I was never a big fan of the original. For whatever reason it never clicked with me.
Standing on it's own merits the trailer does not interest me in the show. Looks like a by the numbers Hollywood product.

Kev Kev

They are stretching one season into two?
the first season will be 10 episodes, and i imagine there will be a second and a third, which makes about 30 episodes. the original was 26 episodes, but it was all one season.

from what weve seen in trailers and clips, they will be redoing a number of episodes from the original (some of the scenes look like 1:1 recreations of important scenes from the original) , but im sure they will take liberties and expand on certain ideas/plot points. and im also certain they will be doing some of their own original content. so i expect it to be longer than the original, yes.

if it goes on to do 4 or 5 seasons, thatd be a bit of a stretch for me. but then again, if its really good, i wouldnt mind that. however, anything beyond 5 seasons is too long for just about any TV show imo.

Irobot82

the first season will be 10 episodes, and i imagine there will be a second and a third, which makes about 30 episodes. the original was 26 episodes, but it was all one season.

from what weve seen in trailers and clips, they will be redoing a number of episodes from the original (some of the scenes look like 1:1 recreations of important scenes from the original) , but im sure they will take liberties and expand on certain ideas/plot points. and im also certain they will be doing some of their own original content. so i expect it to be longer than the original, yes.

if it goes on to do 4 or 5 seasons, thatd be a bit of a stretch for me. but then again, if its really good, i wouldnt mind that. however, anything beyond 5 seasons is too long for just about any TV show imo.
I started re-watching the Anime. Haven't seen it in like 10 years. It's so much better than 90% of the crap out here.

Kev Kev

I started re-watching the Anime. Haven't seen it in like 10 years. It's so much better than 90% of the crap out here.
yep. they dont make them like that anymore.

i was watching jumanji the other day and started thinking the same thing. like, wtf happened?? where did that magic go? why is the feel of stuff back then so much more organic and alive? the music, the acting, the pacing, the script, the sets, etc., its just all so much better. at some point between then and now, movies and TV lost the "magic" that they had back then.

i have no doubt this show will never be as good as the original. which is why ive made the decision to not compare so much to the original, and just try to have fun with whatever it does. the OG is my favorite show ever, and its the ONLY anime that i like (trigun and samurai champloo are pretty cool too). so while i understand why people are going to hate this, it just seems like they are going to be missing out on something that actually looks like a lot of fun

NahaNago

That trailer was a lot better than I thought it would be. I'm now onboard to at least watch the first episode. I think I like Spike less in this trailer and it was good idea to show Faye in a different outfit for parts of this trailer.

Kev Kev

That trailer was a lot better than I thought it would be. I'm now onboard to at least watch the first episode. I think I like Spike less in this trailer and it was good idea to show Faye in a different outfit for parts of this trailer.
yeah she was looking pretty sexy in that red dress.
SkxKvub.png

which is similar to the red dress she wore in session 5 of the original, "Ballad of Fallen Angels"
33cbb9e4fc63645ae63479af1c0d8e34.png

Kev Kev

With the drama surrounding her outfit I was shocked to see her in such a dress.
yeah same. i thought they were going to go the ultra conservative route. glad to see they arent afraid to do those kind of things.

im also happy to see they will be dropping f bombs and it will definitely be a mature rated thing. good move on that.

Irobot82

yeah same. i thought they were going to go the ultra conservative route. glad to see they arent afraid to do those kind of things.

im also happy to see they will be dropping f bombs and it will definitely be a mature rated thing. good move on that.
Wonder what the pregnant lady will look like in episode 2.

Kev Kev

Wonder what the pregnant lady will look like in episode 2.
i think youre talking about session 1 "asteroid blues", where the lady was hiding the red eye in here "pregnant" hump...
fc6b213aadbf430bb354e9b1e1cb01a7a47520e52099f9d33fefa77945c65002._SX1080_.jpg

and she is actually in the trailer as well! right here at about 1:05...
xigZa4R.png

Top Bottom