• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Jsisto

I just think it’s funny that probably a majority of the people not wanting to “put that in my body” are probably on some kind of prescription drug with potentially horrible side effects that they take daily. Vaccines are typically a one and done. We are a horribly unhealthy, over drugged and food addicted society in America, and vaccines are really the least of our worries when you take into account all the other things we do(or don’t do) daily that are detrimental to our health.

TDiddyLive

A few people pounding their chest here praising the vaccines using anecdotal evidence as if it’s the absolute measure of success. My anecdotal experiences differ, with many people I know that have been vaccinated experiencing various medical issues since, while unvaccinated haven’t had any such issues. And both groups seem, in my anecdotal experience, have had positive tests at the same rate. I could pull “evidence” for both sides on the internet, so let’s keep the anecdotal “evidence” to a minimum, ok?

A few people pounding their chest here praising the vaccines using anecdotal evidence as if it’s the absolute measure of success. My anecdotal experiences differ, with many people I know that have been vaccinated experiencing various medical issues since, while unvaccinated haven’t had any such issues. And both groups seem, in my anecdotal experience, have had positive tests at the same rate. I could pull “evidence” for both sides on the internet, so let’s keep the anecdotal “evidence” to a minimum, ok?
You realize getting vaccines don’t necessarily make you immune, but makes the viruses much less dangerous right?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

The pro-vaccinaton anecdotal evidence in this thread has been minimal relative to the mountain of empirical data cited that demonstrate the efficacy of vaccines to reduce severe illness and death from COVID.

A few people pounding their chest here praising the vaccines using anecdotal evidence as if it’s the absolute measure of success.

Where has anyone here acted as if anecdotal evidence is the absolute measure of success? If anything it's the opposite. I'll be happy to change my mind with examples though.

FunkMiller

Ah yes, all those scientific and medical establishments and organisations across the world, relying on just anecdotal evidence… and not the reams of empirical evidence they’ve all gathered over the years.

Naughty, naughty.

Telling Off Premier League GIF by ThreeUK

The Fartist

Gold Member
Ah yes, all those scientific and medical establishments and organisations across the world, relying on just anecdotal evidence… and not the reams of empirical evidence they’ve all gathered over the years.

Naughty, naughty.

Telling Off Premier League GIF by ThreeUK
Why is that cat abuser wagging his finger at me?

Forsete

I was promised millions of deaths from the antivaxxers.

I didn't take the covid vaccine since I got covid before the vaccine was available for my age group, so I skipped it thinking natural antibodies were fine.
That made the antivaxxers think I was one of them. We are the "pure bloods" according to them. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Now I hear as soon a a young person dies from whatever, that it is due to them having taken the vaccine. They said airlines don't want to hire pilots which have taken the vaccine because they are afraid of sudden blood clots/heart attacks. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

These same persons are now Russian boot lickers. The same pattern emerges all over the place, which is hysterical to me because they all think they are independent thinkers.

G-Bus

Banned
Had this come through the house a month ago or so.

Kids had what we thought was croup because of the very noticeable cough. I ended up getting sick a week later. Really really bad cough. Go to a walk in and he says it sounds/looks like bronchitis so I take the rest of the week off.

After that week I go back and my wife and daughter get sick, ultimately test positive for COVID. Fairly mild symptoms all considered.

Still on the fence about another vaccine. We haven't got the kids vaccinated at all for COVID.

So is natural immunity just as good as the vaccine? I see it's recommended to wait 3 months from when you have had COVID to when you should get the shot.

We've all had COVID a few times now and it's never that bad. Kind of the main reason we aren't too motivated with getting another shot/kids vaccinated for it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So is natural immunity just as good as the vaccine?

In terms of protecting you from severe illness the next time you're exposed to the virus? They should have comparable efficacies. In my opinion, however, natural immunity is not as good as the vaccine because of one huge factor - natural immunity requires you to actually contract COVID first. Vaccines let you skip that. Personally, I would like to increase my probability of avoiding sick days if I can help it.

I see it's recommended to wait 3 months from when you have had COVID to when you should get the shot.

That's probably because you still have a lot of antibodies from the previous infection after the first 3 months, so getting a vaccine at that point wouldn't give you much additional benefit. After 3 months, I assume the active circulating antibodies go down as your immune system transitions to memory, so a vaccine at that point will give it another stimulus to keep it in active mode. I didn't fact check this statement, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

We've all had COVID a few times now and it's never that bad.

That's great, but some people aren't so lucky. My personal calculation in getting the vaccine was to do as many risk averting measures at the least amount of cost. It's cheap, the benefits are high, and the side effects are negligible. Kind of a no-brainer decision in my case. Everyone's different, though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Covid era passed a good 12-18 months ago. Nobody cares anymore. I dont think even the typical vaxxer cares. I did my 3 shots, but I'm not anymore. Every once in a while the Ontario government talks about new covid strains and people whould get a booster shot. Nobody cares, talks about it, and not even the news lingers on about it. If this was 2021 it's be all month news. By the next day, that vax article will be replaced by typical car crash and highway construction delay articles.

I think after 3.5 years of covid, everyone has learned covid isnt as bad as initially shock valued to everyone and that nobody is dropping like flies despite the gov plugging needing booster shots or else a new strain will kill you. its such a non issue, I havent seen any covid or death trackers since probably 2021.

Almost nobody wears masks now, and there's zero mandatory masks even on public transit which they got rid of the rule in 2022. So even the gov doesnt really care.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I think after 3.5 years of covid, everyone has learned covid isnt as bad as initially shock valued to everyone and that nobody is dropping like flies despite the gov plugging needing booster shots or else a new strain will kill you. its such a non issue, I havent seen any covid or death trackers since probably 2021.

Almost nobody wears masks now, and there's zero mandatory masks even on public transit which they got rid of the rule in 2022. So even the gov doesnt really care.

COVID isn't as bad now precisely because of the vaccine and the boosters. Now that it's widely available, much less people are getting sick and dying. Compare that to the high death toll at the beginning of 2020. Over a million Americans died from this virus who didn't have to.

Covid era passed a good 12-18 months ago. Nobody cares anymore. I dont think even the typical vaxxer cares. I did my 3 shots, but I'm not anymore. Every once in a while the Ontario government talks about new covid strains and people whould get a booster shot. Nobody cares, talks about it, and not even the news lingers on about it. If this was 2021 it's be all month news. By the next day, that vax article will be replaced by typical car crash and highway construction delay articles.

You might see the odd person wearing a mask grocery shopping. If you're over 70 or otherwise vulnerable you may be offered a covid shot or a flu/covid combo shot. You may talk about lockdowns or work from home with colleagues and friends. Otherwise everything for most people is back to normal.

Omicron and the vaccines changed the landscape. If we were still on the first variant with no vaccines it would be a very different picture. We'd still have a mortality rate of 1% for this disease. And governments wanted to get back to normal as quickly as possible, they knew covid deaths were inevitable and it was a managed risk. Once that risk was within tolerance the media no longer need to report it and so you get to say that "nobody cares anymore".

Go_Ly_Dow

Nice to see the truth continuing to come out with hard data for the UK. The NHS was fine during COVID, but it isn't now because of the damage caused by lockdowns when the data shows it wasn't necessary to lock down for so long in the first place.

The lockdowns at the end of the day was just a move to protect the wealthy and giant wealth transfer making the wealthy even wealthier. White collar people stay at home, work remote and make similar if not more money. Walmart/target and other big box store get to stay open while the smaller ones forced to stay closed. Amazon gets to become the de facto necessity to survive in that environment for every household in America. Small businesses/blue collar mostly get fucked. I’m not complaining, I enjoyed working from home.

However, in a true free market and in the spirit of capitalism, I think the people willing to take the risk and have public exposure should’ve had the opportunity to displace the old boomers in power. I think a lot of people would’ve taken the risk.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member
So I started feeling sick on Monday after a trip to Atlantic City this past weekend. Tested on Wednesday to be safe with the holidays coming up and yup, popped my Covid cherry. I feel I'm back to about 90% health at this point (it was a pretty mild sickness overall), just a little stuffed up with the occasional phlegmy cough. The tests I took yesterday and today are still showing up positive though. I'm vaccinated (no boosters), by the way.

With the holidays upon us, I'm not sure how I should handle isolation, especially being that there are some older folks in my family and I don't want to put anyone at risk. Christmas Eve is a big deal in my Italian family, but I should continue to stay home if I'm testing positive, right? I thought I would pick the brains of some knowledgeable/sensible NeoGAF people as opposed to the lunatics on Reddit or something.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So I started feeling sick on Monday after a trip to Atlantic City this past weekend. Tested on Wednesday to be safe with the holidays coming up and yup, popped my Covid cherry. I feel I'm back to about 90% health at this point (it was a pretty mild sickness overall), just a little stuffed up with the occasional phlegmy cough. The tests I took yesterday and today are still showing up positive though. I'm vaccinated (no boosters), by the way.

With the holidays upon us, I'm not sure how I should handle isolation, especially being that there are some older folks in my family and I don't want to put anyone at risk. Christmas Eve is a big deal in my Italian family, but I should continue to stay home if I'm testing positive, right? I thought I would pick the brains of some knowledgeable/sensible NeoGAF people as opposed to the lunatics on Reddit or something.
Yes, you should isolate for at least five days after becoming symptomatic and/or testing positive. Current guidelines:

30Ta5Iv.jpg

MastAndo

Gold Member
If you tested positive for COVID-19 and have symptoms, isolate for at least 5 days* after your symptoms first appeared. You can leave isolation after 5 full days if:

• Your symptoms are improving 5 days after the start of your isolation, and
  • You have not had a fever for 24 hours without use of fever-reducing medication
...but it's been 6 days since my first symptoms appeared and my symptoms are improving, with only a slight fever earlier in the week. Doesn't that mean I'm good to go according to these guidelines?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
...but it's been 6 days since my first symptoms appeared and my symptoms are improving, with only a slight fever earlier in the week. Doesn't that mean I'm good to go according to these guidelines?
Per that part of the guidelines, yeah, you’re okay to go. The next section does specify that you shouldn't be around weakened, immunocompromised elderly people and so forth, and that you should wear an N95/KN95 mask for another 5+ days.

You're most contagious for that initial five day period, and still somewhat contagious for another 5 days or so after that. Of course, at Christmas dinner you can't keep a mask on the entire time. So wash your hands and limit contact with your grandparents et al for their safety.

Don't go if you have elderly relatives in poor health or immunocompromised. Otherwise just be pragmatic. That's my interpretation of the guidelines at least, not a medical professional and use your discretion, consult with a doctor if you're unsure.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Does that mean you are currently asymptomatic? As in, you feel perfectly fine, but you still test positive on tests? If that were me, I'd be fine with just using a mask while interacting with young people in an environment where I don't have to unmask.

However there are two points on that checklist that are still relevant to your situation - Avoid interacting with people who are immunocompromised or have a risk for severe disease (in other words, most old people), and avoid going to places like restaurants where you will be eating in close proximity to others.

With these caveats in place, if it were me, I'd just stay home because the risk is too high for my comfort zone. With today's technology, video chatting is so good that it doesn't seem like a big deal to not be there in person, for one year, with a good excuse. I don't know how many elderly people will be at your family's Christmas gathering, or the robustness/fragility of their health, so that will be for you to determine.

MastAndo

Gold Member
Don't go if you have elderly relatives in poor health or immunocompromised. Otherwise just be pragmatic. That's my interpretation of the guidelines at least, not a medical professional and use your discretion, consult with a doctor if you're unsure.

Does that mean you are currently asymptomatic? As in, you feel perfectly fine, but you still test positive on tests? If that were me, I'd be fine with just using a mask while interacting with young people in an environment where I don't have to unmask.

However there are two points on that checklist that are still relevant to your situation - Avoid interacting with people who are immunocompromised or have a risk for severe disease (in other words, most old people), and avoid going to places like restaurants where you will be eating in close proximity to others.
Thanks, guys. My plans today included my 82-year-old dad and 73-year-old mother (though they are in good health) and my brother-in-law's elderly mother who seems to be prone to sickness, so I decided to skip it. I feel basically fine, but I'm still a bit congested and every once in a while, a phlegmy cough will sneak up on me, so besides not wanting to chance it at making anyone sick, I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable. I've got Christmas day plans with the girlfriend tomorrow with only a few people who are all around my age and have said they're cool with the situation, so I'll just be doing that.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Thanks, guys. My plans today included my 82-year-old dad and 73-year-old mother (though they are in good health) and my brother-in-law's elderly mother who seems to be prone to sickness, so I decided to skip it. I feel basically fine, but I'm still a bit congested and every once in a while, a phlegmy cough will sneak up on me, so besides not wanting to chance it at making anyone sick, I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable. I've got Christmas day plans with the girlfriend tomorrow with only a few people who are all around my age and have said they're cool with the situation, so I'll just be doing that.
82 especially is pretty far up there, so you’re making the right call 100%.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

That seems like a reasonable call to me. That's a pretty high age, and beyond my personal comfort zone. Plus, being still ever so slightly symptomatic is an issue. I wouldn't want my elders to think that I'm indifferent to their health and well being.

dave_d

That seems like a reasonable call to me. That's a pretty high age, and beyond my personal comfort zone. Plus, being still ever so slightly symptomatic is an issue. I wouldn't want my elders to think that I'm indifferent to their health and well being.
The only thing I'd add to this is that the above advice would apply for the flu as well. (Don't be around people if you have the flu or have had the flu. Yeah I know, most people don't know the difference between the flu and a cold.)

Tams

Gold Member

Definitely a good call. No point in risking having no more Christmases with someone just to have this one.

People up at 82 can be fine one minute and then at death's door another. And if they get seriously ill and survive, they almost never fully recover.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
People up at 82 can be fine one minute and then at death's door another. And if they get seriously ill and survive, they almost never fully recover.
So true. Neighbor's mom (mid 80s) was doing great, driving no problem, walking no problem, until she had a bad fall one day. After that she needs a walker, can't drive anymore, and mostly sits on the couch all day. Huge difference in a very short period of time. Value your health while you can, friends.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I had Covid a little over a month ago, first time. I can tell you that shit sucked, only lasted a week or so but I had horrible aching and lack of energy + some fever, cough and pulmonary symptons were minimum thankfully.

RAÏSanÏa

Starting to feel better after a week since onset of symptoms. I'm fairly convinced from my experience that it could've been much worse without the vaxx and boosters and would've really sucked.
I feel psychically stronger than before. Maybe an aftereffect of feeling clear after being so foggy for few days.

Top Bottom