• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could the treat of Luna & Stadia Could gaming services force MS, Sony and Nintendo into in an unwritten partnership?

DESTROYA

You are seriously overestimating the appeal of God of War. It can move units, yes, but it can't sustain a corporation like Sony.
And you seriously underestimate 10 million copies sold just for the PS4 that’s nothing to simply wave your hand at.
Thats not even adding the other 30+million games of the franchise sold across the PS platform.
It has clearly shown it can move units that make lots of money to help sustain a corp like SONY.

And you seriously underestimate 10 million copies sold just for the PS4 that’s nothing to simply wave your hand at.
Thats not even adding the other 30+million games of the franchise sold across the PS platform.
It has clearly shown it can move units that make lots of money to help sustain a corp like SONY.

Not at full price. And without 3rd party sales, forget it.

Yes at full price the 10million+ sales of the latest GOW has clearly shown us that.

With all of the big games launching between now and the end of the year, it can be easy to forget about all the games that came out in the past year. Sony apparently hopes you won't forget some of the recent PS4 exclusives. The company has dropped the suggested retail price of four of its big games: God of War, Detroit: Become Human, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, and the PS4 remaster of Shadow of the Colossus.

Two of this year's biggest PS4 exclusives, God of War and Detroit: Become Human, both got $20 price drops, bringing them down to $40 apiece. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and Shadow of the Colossus are available for $20 each going forward.

One thing that hasn't been factored into our discussions yet: the DOJ antitrust review of Big Tech started last year, with indications recently that Google might be first to get the stick.

The landscape could look quite different in the next few years and I'd bet it will.

sainraja

It's just an example. Sony has a number of first-party studios that have recently produced big hits. And Nintendo is, of course, Nintendo.

Look, I have Resting Dubious Face.

They can leverage those first-party studios to support their streaming business. All I am saying is, depending on your preference of how you like to play games, Luna & Stadia entering the market will definitely force some kind of change and whether we like it or not, they are a threat to how the gaming landscape is today. I mean, I never thought I'd be okay with owning movies that are tied to an online service to stream, but here I am. I like that a lot of them let you download those but it's not download to store in your catalog or anything like that. Changes are definitely ahead.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Luna is not nearly as much of a threat than tablets are. My kids play on their tablets 90% of the time.

Kagey K

Banned
They are going to need a lot more titles like that at a lot faster pace if MS/Amazon get into a pissing match and start buying up all the 3rd parties.

DESTROYA

They are going to need a lot more titles like that at a lot faster pace if MS/Amazon get into a pissing match and start buying up all the 3rd parties.
They already have those

Last of us remastered - 10 million
Horizon Zero Dawn -10 million
Marvel’s SpiderMan -14 million
Uncharted 4-16 million

lock2k

Banned
1ijBF5Z.jpg

M

Mr.Vodoo

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft and Sony are in deep feces where cloud gaming is concerned, I think. Google can leverage YouTube and Amazon can do the same with Twitch. If these companies can get game developers on board, then it wouldn't be too hard for them to get a piece of the market.

There is a reason why Microsoft tried to purchase Twitch. Why it purchased Mixer, and why it made attempts to grab TikTok. Microsoft needs its own successful video platform to help with xCloud integration. The ability to jump from YouTube into a Stadia game is a great idea, especially when you can do it from another person's stream. Amazon will do the same with Luna and Twitch.

longdi

Banned
Why would MS be afraid?

Amazon, Google, MS and Apple are the biggest capped companies around. They will compete on the same footing for next gen gaming. Tencent will join too. China is rising powerhouse. :messenger_bicep:

MS has the advantage because they can do cloud streaming and local client rentals(GPU!)

As i was saying, MS will bleed Sony out of the market.

You cant mess around with trilion dollars corporates, thats the harsh reality. What hurts more, Sony has entrusted of all persons, the PS division to this Jim Ryan clown. 🤷‍♀️

Sony will likely respond since it (unfortunately) seems dominated by SCEA culture whereas, Nintendo like SCEJ probably too stubborn and have a cultural bias to continue with their own plan.

Top Bottom