• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Sony get away with a $19.99/month GamePass type price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony has arguably the strongest first party in the business.

Would you sign up for 19.99/month to get access to every exclusive game day and date?

that’s $240/yr per customer. Close to 3.5 fully priced $70 games per year, which is honestly pretty close to what they typically release each year (2 big AAAs and maybe a handful of smaller budget titles).

I would subscribe, but I wonder if Sony would be concerned about it seeming expensive compared to MS GamePass (justified by better exclusives)

jhjfss

Cbs No GIF by HULU

Would you sign up for 19.99/month to get access to every exclusive game day and date?

that’s $240/yr per customer. Close to 3.5 fully priced $70 games per year, which is honestly pretty close to what they typically release each year (2 big AAAs and maybe a handful of smaller budget titles).

I would subscribe, but I wonder if Sony would be concerned about it seeming expensive compared to MS GamePass (justified by better exclusives)

Issue is a lot of those great games are gifted for free with the PS+ Collection, which takes away from the perceived value of the backlog as it stands at the moment given the lack of games on PS5.

Also, one of the reasons why Gamepass works well is the sheer volume of games on offer. For $20/month, Sony would have to offer more than its exclusive AAA games to give customers incentives to sign up (free DLCs? additional free monthly games on top of PS+?), otherwise customers might as well buy their favourite Sony AAA games on a standalone basis.

Zeroing

Banned
errr looks too good to be true!

people who think MS is not dumping a lot of money on the service in hopes it pays off... are in for a rude awakening!

The model is not sustainable! So either developers will receive less money or the prices will go up, or the service will end up with smaller titles meaning indie games!

same applies to Sony, Nintendo or any other company that tries to jump at this trend!

OrtizTwelve

I don't see SONY offering something like this because their business model requires the need to constantly push software and hardware.

If they do offer it, it will be something where new 1st party titles show up many months later on the service, like what EA does.

I'm sure if you asked them to charge $30.99 per month to rent the ability to play Skyrim they would gladly say yes and take your money.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Already paying Netflix $15/month for 4K HDR content that is not available with every title. Would easily sub for downloadable content.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
if it included all legacy titles from ps1, ps2, and ps3, then yes they probably could because the library is just unmatched, however, if they do a service I hope it is either the same price as gamepass or cheaper for being competitive.

Last edited:

Schmick

How often would Sony be releasing their first party games?

Ellery

Well yes and then I just sub when the new AAA PS exclusive games are releasing. I am not going to pay 240$ a year and wait for many months inbetween games just to find out I have been waiting for the likes of Days Gone and The Order 1886.

How many objectively great exclusive games are Sony releasing each year? We have to stay grounded here, because for me personally I don't see Sony releasing 3-4 AAA PS exclusive games each year that would be worth Full Price.

Not to be overly critical of Playstation, but I think that there needs to be a lot more value. As great as the Playstation exclusives are there is no way it would compete with a much cheaper gamepass that offers a much bigger range of indies, older games or third party licensing deals.

sainraja

Well, game pass is $10 or $15 (if you want online play), so Sony would have to include online play in one of their plans. That could be the $20 a month plan. But, do you really want another monthly subscription? I signed up for game pass ultimate because it bundles online play with it and I see game pass games as a bonus (if I have to pay, I might as well get a little more for what I am paying.)

Last edited:
Well yes and then I just sub when the new AAA PS exclusive games are releasing. I am not going to pay 240$ a year and wait for many months inbetween games just to find out I have been waiting for the likes of Days Gone and The Order 1886.

How many objectively great exclusive games are Sony releasing each year? We have to stay grounded here, because for me personally I don't see Sony releasing 3-4 AAA PS exclusive games each year that would be worth Full Price.

Not to be overly critical of Playstation, but I think that there needs to be a lot more value. As great as the Playstation exclusives are there is no way it would compete with a much cheaper gamepass that offers a much bigger range of indies, older games or third party licensing deals.

they’d lock you into a contract, like with TV

Sony release about 2-3 AAAs each year, and a bunch of content a tier below

last year we got TLOU2, GOT, Miles, and Demons Souls. Collectively they cost $240 at retail

below that tier you have stuff like Sackboy and Dreams, then a tier below that you have indies

Ellery

they’d lock you into a contract, like with TV

Sony release about 2-3 AAAs each year, and a bunch of content a tier below

last year we got TLOU2, GOT, Miles, and Demons Souls. Collectively they cost $240 at retail

below that tier you have stuff like Sackboy and Dreams, then a tier below that you have indies

Then it would need to be cheaper for me personally. Maybe 120$ a year or is PS+ included in the 240$?

Sony only launches 2-3 large first-party AAA games per year, and most of the time they offer no multiplayer component to extend longevity. Once you finish the 8-12 hour cinematic experience, there's very little incentive to replay. The type of games Sony makes is not compatible with a subscription service.

Sony only launches 2-3 large first-party AAA games per year, and most of the time they offer no multiplayer component to extend longevity. Once you finish the 8-12 hour cinematic experience, there's very little incentive to replay. The type of games Sony makes is not compatible with a subscription service.

not really, they release a lot more than 2-3 total games per year, and you have access to all the older legacy content

it is compatible with a subscription service at the right price.

rob305

I mean in their defense, the games are not 8-12 hours anymore (I think the order 1886 was the last shorter game). Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn, TLOU2, God of War etc are all triple that time at least. But I get what youre saying, once youre done theres no incentive to go back

Gone

Banned
errr looks too good to be true!

people who think MS is not dumping a lot of money on the service in hopes it pays off... are in for a rude awakening!

The model is not sustainable! So either developers will receive less money or the prices will go up, or the service will end up with smaller titles meaning indie games!

same applies to Sony, Nintendo or any other company that tries to jump at this trend!

It is sustainable if you get like 50 million subscribers or something like that.

Jaxcellent

Not for me, ill probably can get away with going super cheap this new gen, besides it is obvious Sony is still on the PS+ collection routine, basically filling it with a wide range of first party accolade game, pretty good deal if you don't already own those games on ps4.

sainraja

I find it interesting that when discussing a game pass like option on the Sony side, most people assume that it will only have Sony games. The question being asked is, because of Sony first party games, could they ask for $19.99 and Game Pass is being used as an example to support that idea, so what you're looking at is basically what Game Pass is right now (and its future promise of first party day one) so the $19.99 based on that, would get you everything that game pass gives you right now with third party games and Sony's first party day one.

The only thing that is being switched is Sony's games. You will also have third party games and indies on it. So, I would think, that people who like game pass would jump on this. A little weird or odd that people are hesistant.

Last edited:

RCU005

Microsoft was thought to destroy the industry when they first announced the Xbox, and if they make Game Pass popular enough to take the entire industry to that direction, then they will certainly destroy it.

People will not own games anymore, not even in a "symbolic" way with digital games. Having a Netflix of gaming is a horrible idea, because games take so much more time than watching a movie or a TV series. You get a game, download it, and if the game is removed from the service, it's gone. This is even worse than the whining people are making about Sony closing the PS3/PSP store.

It looks great as a short term idea, because people is made to think that games are "free". Because "you can play as many games as you want for a small monthly fee", but then what? What would happen in the long term? What would happen to games that disappear forever and nobody has them to play them again anymore. At least when Sony closes the PS3/PSP store you can still play them, and even if you couldn't download them anymore, as long as you have it in an HDD you are good to play them.

Microsoft is ruining the industry because they are so incompetent to make a good business model, that they are just thinking short term in a way that " I don't care who lose or what is lost as long as I win" mentality.

Again, Game Pass SEEMS like a great idea but it's just in the short term. Microsoft should become a third party developer and quit destroying the industry with their predatory ideas, that don't make sense and will not allow the industry to improve in the future.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
you are overestimating how many people want to play that old crap. i wouldn't pay more than £5 for any subscription service
calm down there Jim Ryan, I really think people underestimate how many people want to go back to relive old titles, especially during dry seasons much like this. A lot of people online, podcasts etc have stated they are playing legacy titles right now because there isn't anything else to play. Plus it also helps preserve their history by allowing and having those titles on said service. Sure people will be on the service for new games, but the older titles which at times can give the newer ones a run for their money when it comes to quality and storytelling can be unmatched as well and are a welcomed addition to a service.

xShaun

Do not even mention Gamepass and Sony in the same sentence.

Jim Ryan had said he doesn't think Gamepass is the future for PlayStation. He would rather game prices go up and retell cinematic blockbuster hits.

Please do not delude yourself or hope of Gamepass. If Sony do start implementing it, the infrastructure could take time.

If they do by some miracle do though, I'd be right in line for it.

SLB1904

Banned
calm down there Jim Ryan, I really think people underestimate how many people want to go back to relive old titles, especially during dry seasons much like this. A lot of people online, podcasts etc have stated they are playing legacy titles right now because there isn't anything else to play. Plus it also helps preserve their history by allowing and having those titles on said service. Sure people will be on the service for new games, but the older titles which at times can give the newer ones a run for their money when it comes to quality and storytelling can be unmatched as well and are a welcomed addition to a service.
dry season like this? there are loads of games to play and in this world of gaas crap, a person gets stuck with one game and plays it forever. yes, there are people who prefer going back to old games, and that's fine, but that number is so minuscule that they aren't crazy enough to charge 20 for it.

I just organically don’t like idea of being force fed something in order to validate the price I’m paying for the service. There are years I only play few games and let’s say they’re not on this Pass. You play what they offer you and that’s not how I ever functioned. I can play one or two games (of which one is FTP) for half a year. So that sub money would be a huge waste.

People that only want to play, play, play, whatever, just play to kill time, this is for them. And Sony’s games are not sufficient for this one, it would only make sense if it encompasses all 1st and 3rd party major releases throughout the year.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe if it had PS+ and their cloud service stuff included. I don't think so, though.

Bryank75

Banned
Ohh didn’t the fanboys claim that ALL Sony games are enough to hold Sony as a whole? Damn shame huh? Lol 😂
I get them individually, in collectors editions usually.

Yes, I wouldn't leave due to games like GOW etc.

But to get me to sign up to a service, it needs stuff to offer beyond the games that I want in CE anyway.

How many games do they make? ND makes like 2 games per gen if they are lucky.

I wouldn't sub to that service. Microsoft knows this and went up to 23 studios. Sony doesn't have the studios to feed a service like that. Neither do they have the money to feed it substantial third party games unless they want to stop moneyhatting games.

NahaNago

$20 monthly subscriptions are a hard sell for anyone. They would need to start around at least around14.99. Lower than that would be nice but Sony likes money more than growth.

Last edited:
Sony has a great first party but their output is not high enough to support $20 a month.....I think Gamepass prices would be about right, otherwise I might as well just wait and buy the games on sale. Does Sony really have 4 games per year that you would buy day one, full price???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom