• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Sony be saving their big announcements for The Game Awards?

The big announcement is that they're gonna spend the next 6 years pumping out remasters (or 'directors cut') because it's hard to make original games when everyone is working from home in their underpants

Last edited:

nbkicker

No sony will do there own show, every yr i think game awards are gonna be good and go along with the hype just be disappointed when i see it, to me this yrs e3 was better then any past game awards and this yrs e3 was 💩

SaucyJack

Yeah no . Not interested in a fat bitch that wear diapers and woke.
Horizon 5 is more fun than this will ever be even though it was “ don’t want to cuss “ weird of you to even compare both games and they are not even same genre.

and what he said is right , Halo alone will probably sell more than any other game song releases this year and probably next.

You sure about that?

Last time I checked Horizon Zero Dawn had sold circa 10 million units whilst Halo doesn’t quite reach previous heights.

KAL2006

Banned
We pretty-much know all of the upcoming games from their first party studios. What else could they announce? 🤷‍♂️

Damn what's Guerilla Games 2nd team working on? As well as Studio Bend? Bluepoint?

Also doenst Santa Monica have a 2nd team as well with Barlog running it that's not God of War.

Has Media Molecule just been working on Dreams updates and nothing else.

What about Factions multiplayer that has yet to be announced.

MOTM

Banned
I think it is cute that people think Sony has suddenly gone dry and has no games. Have you not been paying attention? They don't have to show anything right now because their competition is showing the same three franchises they have been showing for decades and games that will not be out for at least another two to three years. Sony has always been good at waiting until the right moment to take the wind out of competitors sails.
What a load of rubbish.

I don't think the Xbox will ever outsell the PS5 outside of maybe the odd freak month for some of various reasons. None of that is a focus for me. I care about good games and my comments were based on Sony should be showing good games. I hope no one at sony has the mentality of "MS will never outsell us so we can just show and have nothing for an entire peak period" that would be shit.

I want there to be good games on all my devices and I hope the PS5 has some great games for xmas this year.
Does it matter since atm both ps5 and series x are esdentially sold out instantly when they are available

Dream-Knife

Banned
Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4 and The Last Guardian all released before 2018. I'd say those were all "major" releases.

After 2018 it was GOW, Spider-Man, Days Gone, Death Stranding, TLoU2 and Ghost.

So it's 4 vs 6. Not too big a difference.
Including HZD, most of those games came out after a Pro revision.
Honestly the entire market has to come together and figure out how to develop games in a far shorter time span.
As games get more and more complex, it will take longer and longer for games to come out. It almost makes buying a console at the end of a gen make more sense.

Look at how many Atlus games on 3ds there were. Compare that to Switch.
Plus, with the F2P multiplayer, how many will actually buy the single player campaign, even more as it is part of Gamepass?

Expect exciting reports of amounts of fallen Craigs and fired shots!
Sad thing is, that f2p multiplayer with I'm assuming microtransactions will generate more money.

Zannegan

Honestly the entire market has to come together and figure out how to develop games in a far shorter time span.
Full on ray tracing will simplify some things. Procedural generation will help with environments and, soon, asset creation. Writing and designing quests and objectives will always take human hours...

...then again, with the quality of game writing these days, AI may as well do that too. Matrix, here we come.

Bold of us to assume they have more announcements.
I'd rather see some gameplay for the new titles announced last yr

Well it's not like they quit the industry. If you didn't know Sony has developers under their wing developing new games. At some point they will get announced.

I would say it's dumb to assume that Sony will stop announcing and releasing games in the future.

Dolomite

Well it's not like they quit the industry. If you didn't know Sony has developers under their wing developing new games. At some point they will get announced.

I would say it's dumb to assume that Sony will stop announcing and releasing games in the future.
Heart Attack Close Call GIF by reactionseditor

Whoa, What?! that's great news bro, I'll keep that in mind

3liteDragon

Not only they are planning a big showcase for the summer, but they also have tons of unannounced stuff ready to be shown (and whoever argues otherwise doesn't know what he's talking about).

Be patient people, the fact that the event has not happened yet for a series of reasons doesn't mean that it does not exist.
This^^^

We'll definitely get a show this summer, just calm the fuck down people.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Well I hope they save something for TGS because that market really needs some attention right now..

And don't tell me that it's hopeless, and that they need to give up on Japan.. I don't believe in that. Yes, Nintendo is dominating, but it hasn't been like this forever. Back in the PS2 era, the japanese market was in a serious downward trend, and then BOOM, DS came.. And the rest is history.

Impotaku

Well I hope they save something for TGS because that market really needs some attention right now..

And don't tell me that it's hopeless, and that they need to give up on Japan.. I don't believe in that. Yes, Nintendo is dominating, but it hasn't been like this forever. Back in the PS2 era, the japanese market was in a serious downward trend, and then BOOM, DS came.. And the rest is history.
PS5 came out way too early, the games drought is real im convinced most people are using them just to play their PS4 stuff. PS4 has a huge install base in japan and yet you look at whats coming out now and there's hardly anything now and yet you would think there would be loads of PS5 games to take the PS4's place and yet there isn't, a lot of devs jumped ship to switch where they can easily make a killing on cheaper budget games with a huge install base. The japanese charts are crazy at the moment you see just how few games for either PS4&5 are released and they aren't exactly selling gangbusters when they are. In comparison in the days of PS1&2 there was so much more variety in the charts, kind of went to shit around the PS3 era with devs playing it way more safe gone are the wonderful days of weird experimental PS1&2 games.

In time the games will come but it's slim pickings till they do, there's a reason i kept my PS4 and am now mopping up all the games in the back catalogue instead of jumping to next gen. Just not worth the cash investment for so little back at the moment.

PS5 came out way too early, the games drought is real im convinced most people are using them just to play their PS4 stuff. PS4 has a huge install base in japan and yet you look at whats coming out now and there's hardly anything now and yet you would think there would be loads of PS5 games to take the PS4's place and yet there isn't, a lot of devs jumped ship to switch where they can easily make a killing on cheaper budget games with a huge install base. The japanese charts are crazy at the moment you see just how few games for either PS4&5 are released and they aren't exactly selling gangbusters when they are. In comparison in the days of PS1&2 there was so much more variety in the charts, kind of went to shit around the PS3 era with devs playing it way more safe gone are the wonderful days of weird experimental PS1&2 games.

In time the games will come but it's slim pickings till they do, there's a reason i kept my PS4 and am now mopping up all the games in the back catalogue instead of jumping to next gen. Just not worth the cash investment for so little back at the moment.

I'm not sure if the PS5 came out too early though. It's not like Sony hasn't released any quality titles on the platform.

yurinka

I'd say making the games shorter. AAA games were ok when they were 10-20 hours long and had 5-10 additional hours to be completionist. Cases like AC Valhalla where the game is like 60 hours long and has like additional 100 hours of secondary stuff to be completionist.

I agree the silence is kind of annoying but it will be over once the announcements are made. Which is similar to what happened last year BTW.
Well, they aren't silent.

They are just spreading the announcements, specially the smaller ones instead of putting all of them on a single event. This summer:
-Released Ratchet, Guilty Gear Strive and FFVIIR Intergrade
-Shown Horizon gameplay
-Announced they have 2nd party new IP from the new studio headed by experienced devs from Destiny and others
-Announced they have 2nd party new IP from the new studio headed by experienced devs from AC/Ubi Toronto and others
-Announced they have 2nd party new IP from the new studio headed by experienced devs from CoD BO and others BO and AC/Ubi Toronto (and more) people
-Announced Bend is working on a new IP and that there's an Uncharted 4 PC port coming
-Bought Housemarque
-Bought the top PC porting team
-They may announce soon they bought Bluepoint (and who knows if are working on a MGS remake)
-They will have EVO, and during the EVO finals there are always cool fighting game announcements
-Delayed GoW to 2022 and we know like GT7 is crossgen, and since they focused the last State of Play on 3rd party and indies we mays see them in the next one with Horizon and who knows if some announcements of big 2022 exclusives.

If they would have put all these things on a single E3 event people would have been crazy for a few days, but doesn't make sense for them to pump hard the hype without consoles in the stores. They prefer to slowly keep releasing news across all summer.

PS5 came out way too early, the games drought is real
No, it had many great games during the first half year. Some exclusive, some multi, some next gen only some crossgen, big AAA, AA, and indies, Japanese and western. And on top of that the PS Plus Collecton and the BC. Way better catalog than most other consoles had on the first half a year or so.

And we also have to consider we're in the middle of a huge ass pandemic that delayed many games originally planned for 2021, like Horizon 2, GoWR, GT7 and way more. And even considering this, in 2021 like in 2020 and the last decade, the GOTY candidate list will feature many Sony's exclusives.

Last edited:
Top Bottom