• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Series S run the Unreal 5 demo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMiyagi

Banned
As a person with limited tech know-how, I'm just trying to wrap my brain around how this will work out. So mods... please don't ban me Mmmkay! :)

With all the talk about Series S being a 1440p version of Series X, I am just honestly wondering how something like the Unreal 5 tech demo would work on Series S, assuming Epic was running with optimal graphics settings and were maxing out the ps5 at 1440p/30fps already?

Raphael

Also why 1440p is even a thing. Is it some scaling thing? Why not just Say what it Will do at 1080p or 4kas thats what the tvs are. It may confused people.

Last edited:

T-Cake

Also why 1440p is even a thing. Is it some scaling thing? Why not just Say what it Will do at 1080p or 4kas thats what the tvs are. It may confused people.

Two reasons, one 1440p sounds more impressive than 1080p and perhaps they want PC gamers who operate on a 1440p monitor to pick one up as a cheap, second device to play occasionally.

This! So much this. The output resolution of the Series S will be 4K, just like in the Xbox One S. The games will render at whatever internally and the Xbox will upscale it to 4K. That internal resolution might sometimes be close to 1440p, or not. Also, the machine is capable of outputting 120fps, but I doubt many games will actually do that.

The idea that you are getting a ”1440p/120fps” machine at $300 is ludicrous, but some people seem to actually believe it.

skneogaf

I'm sure it can but at what resolution! The 1440p is the aim for the games on it but I'm quite sure a lot will be 1080p or have adaptive resolution.

It would be amazing to see the demo on all the consoles with a digital foundry or similar look at the results.

MrMiyagi

Banned
Well it was 1440p upscaled to 4k. Ps4 pro's sole purpose was to play current gen games at 4k, but hardly any of them were actually native 4k, though. Its just that nobody cared as checkerboard looks almost as good as native 4k for most people.

Armorian

Banned

Higher base resolution should look better upscaled to 4k. But 1080p to 4k is perfect 4x scaling so I don't know if that's the case.

Op: No, demo shown on PS5 can't run on XSS, aside from resolution it's using more ram than this console have. Maybe in 720\900p with lower quality assets.

Relativ9

Well as with all marketing out of both Sony and MS, what they say the "target" is and what most games will actually hit are two different things. If most games in 3-4 years start running on UE5 engines with Lumen and Nanite technology (and actually utilizing it) I would guess things like draw distance, dynamic resolution, and LOD will be severely impacted. They are far more likely to scale using those metrics than with resolution.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

If people are saying it can do it at 1080p then why can’t Xbox 1 X and PS4 Pro as they are close to 4tfps And over....

I doubt it works like that

Wouldn’t we have similar results from Xbox 1 X currently?

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
If people are saying it can do it at 1080p then why can’t Xbox 1 X and PS4 Pro as they are close to 4tfps And over....

I doubt it works like that

Wouldn’t we have similar results from Xbox 1 X currently?
a PS4 Pro at 4TF is not the same as a Series S at 4TF.

kikkis

lol. lower resolution sure but not "extremely"

if PS5 can only manage 1440p 30fps then Series S would probably get similar visuals at ~900p. texture/asset streaming would be a little slower but hardly noticeable.

Series X could probably manage 1800p 30fps.
I just think 900p is low resolution for 2020, its not much more pixels than consoles from 2005 were pushing. Sure there is TAAU component in UE5 but I dont think it works as well on lower resolutions.

if PS5 can only manage 1440p 30fps then Series S would probably get similar visuals at ~900p. texture/asset streaming would be a little slower but hardly noticeable.

How did you get to just 900p? You understand that PS5 is 2.5x as powerful as the Series S based on on paper GPU grunt, don't you? I was actually being kind with the 720p for Series S. It'd be 540p in all honestly. To me, 540p can't truly be considered running the demo. We're not in 1999.

Last edited:

MrMiyagi

Banned
Probably, but at extremely low fidelity and resolution.
True but then it would've been a terrible showcase for the Unreal 5 engine and they likely would have made a different demo altogether so it could hit 1440p on Series S.

Obviously, UE5 was just a tech demo to showcase the ps5 and UE5 engine in the best light possible. But wouldn't it make sense for Sony to do the same thing with their exclusives, instead of playing into Series S's cards by blindly persuing native 4k? Imo its far more likely that the ps5 exclusives will also be targeting 1440p (upscaled to 4k).

Azurro

Banned

1800p has about 1.5 times the amount of pixels that 1440p does. You won't get that with the modest ~18% increase in performance between the PS5 and XSX.

True but then it would've been a terrible showcase for the Unreal 5 engine and they likely would have made a different demo altogether so it could hit 1440p on Series S.

Obviously, UE5 was just a tech demo to showcase the ps5 and UE5 engine in the best light possible. But wouldn't it make sense for Sony to do the same thing with their exclusives, instead of playing into Series S's cards by blindly persuing native 4k? Imo its far more likely that the ps5 exclusives will also be targeting 1440p (upscaled to 4k).

Too early in the generation for that. Expect Native 4K at 30fps for the next few years. When Naughty Dog comes around again then you'll see 1440p 30fps.

1800p has about 1.5 times the amount of pixels that 1440p does. You won't get that with the modest ~18% increase in performance between the PS5 and XSX.

All of his numbers are fabricated. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I know his game here.

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
The Series S will not run it anywhere close to how the PS5 ran it.

I like to keep tech demos separate from actual games. The real test is going to be how games in 2 years time will run on the S

Azurro

Banned
All of his numbers are fabricated. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I know his game here.

True, but I still just wanted to point it out. Not like CU counts and frequencies say everything, it's how the system as a whole works.

I would like to see what kind of sacrifices would have to be made to cram that demo into 8 GBs, a bit above a third of the GPU performance of the PS5, lower I/O performance and much lower memory bandwidth.

3liteDragon

You know it’s funny when people mention how the demo was running at 1440p@30FPS only while Epic confirmed temporal accumulation was being used and the final output was 4K. I bet if they hadn’t mentioned that it was running at 1440p no one would’ve seen the difference anyway.

FireFly

How did you get to just 900p? You understand that PS5 is 2.5x as powerful as the Series S based on on paper GPU grunt, don't you? I was actually being kind with the 720p for Series S. It'd be 540p in all honestly. To me, 540p can't truly be considered running the demo. We're not in 1999.
1440p is almost exactly 2.5x more pixels than 900p. (It's almost 7x more pixels than 540p)

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance

I think you don’t understand the power requirements to push such a massive increase in pixel count.

Hint: it’s more than an 18% increase in theoretical GPU compute.

MrMiyagi

Banned
Too early in the generation for that. Expect Native 4K at 30fps for the next few years. When Naughty Dog comes around again then you'll see 1440p 30fps.

You're probably right. Still, Guerrilla Games ain't no slouch when it comes to pushing hardware either. Will be interesting to see if HFW will be hitting 1440p at launch or not.

Dunnas

Because he knows what he is talking about and you don’t. 1440p is 2.56 times as many pixels 900p. 540p is less than 1/7 the number of pixels as 1440p.

Elog

Key question is the I/O - I am of the opinion that nothing we have seen indicates that the latency with the velocity architecture allows rapid swapping of the VRAM pool on XSX and XSS. I might be wrong but if that is the case both systems are much more VRAM limited for that demo than the PS5 - and even with the PS5 you could see how it was at its limit in some scenes to load those textures fast enough.

It is not the pixels (resolution) that chokes a system in that demo.

Last edited:

MrMiyagi

Banned
To be honest, we haven't seen a PS5 game running it either...

(There is a big difference between a tech demo and an actual game)
I know, but I was talking about that specific tech demo. Besides Ratchet, it's the only thing we've seen so far that's build from the ground up for ps5 hardware.

Aladin

1080p : 1K
1440p : 2K
If a game runs at native 4K on ps5, it will run at 2K with drs on Series S.
Ue5 demo will run @ 1080p on Series S.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Shouldn't be an issue. UE5 is created to work on all devices, so they'll just have to make some optimizations for the XSS, just like they can make it even better on the XSX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom