• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Mortal Kombat 11 beat Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in sales?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Good job ignoring the post.

I'm not ignoring anything. You told me I was factually incorrect when that was a lie. Like it or not, Mortal Kombat is available to more people than Smash.

Smash is available in more retailers and more countries. Japan is a significant chunk of Smash sales, MK doesn't have that. Same with a few European countries.

MK being close despite again is impressive, there is no spin you can possibly come up with to dismiss this fact. We all know this thread would be completely different if the opposite was true.

It's close on 4 platforms and the biggest region for Mortal Kombat is the United States.

Mortal Kombat doesn't have the world wide appeal as Smash, a game which features some of the most iconic characters in gaming.

You have MANY fighting on the market in Japan that has more appeal, but the sales are small compared to smash.

SLB1904

Banned
tenor.gif

Could a game that's available on 5 platforms and banned in several countries and retailers with the sales momentum of its predecessor beat a game that's available on a Nintendo platform? 🤷‍♂️

I'm not ignoring anything. You told me I was factually incorrect when that was a lie. Like it or not, Mortal Kombat is available to more people than Smash.
Yes you are because you keep thinking platforms = availability and that's not how it works especially in this comparison.

Mortal Kombat does have world wide appeal, even countries it's banned in no the iconic MK characters in many cases, the difference is that MK is banned in countries Smash isn't and several of those countries have strong Switch sales and thus Strong Smash sales since Nintendo made it a frontline game.

This isn't hard to comprehend, Smash is available to more people WW than MK11, yet MK11 is selling faster than SmashU most of this year and still maybe, and it's closer than any other fighting series.

Definition of impressive yet again.

Could a game that's available on 5 platforms and banned in several countries and retailers with the sales momentum of its predecessor beat a game that's available on a Nintendo platform? 🤷‍♂️

Said game also building off predecessor momentum, and have a higher marketing budget from Nintendo. while being the only major releases on the platform making it a near must by for switch ones even if they don't prefer it.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Yes you are because you keep thinking platforms = availability and that's not how it works especially in this comparison.

Mortal Kombat does have world wide appeal, even countries it's banned in no the iconic MK characters in many cases, the difference is that MK is banned in countries Smash isn't and several of those countries have strong Switch sales and thus Strong Smash sales since Nintendo made it a frontline game.

This isn't hard to comprehend, Smash is available to more people WW than MK11, yet MK11 is selling faster than SmashU most of this year and still maybe, and it's closer than any other fighting series.

Definition of impressive yet again.
We're talking about owners of platforms, which is available to more people.

It does have wide world appeal just as much as Smash?

Smash has Pokemon, Zelda, Mario... These characters appeal to a lot more people than the top MK characters out there. That's a big reason why Smash is successful.

Ahh autocorrect got me on that one let me rephrase.

It's also ONE of the FEW major releases this year on the SWITCH this year so it also has the advantage of being a must-purchase game for Switch owners like Pokemon to some extent, and others.

Where as MK has competition and competes with AAA games in other genres, and also is banned in multiple countries and retailers, and came out 4 months later, and etc.

I would say that's pretty impressive.

We're talking about owners of platforms, which is available to more people.

It does have wide world appeal just as much as Smash?

Smash has Pokemon, Zelda, Mario... These characters appeal to a lot more people than the top MK characters out there. That's a big reason why Smash is successful.

And MK has characters that make it successful.

The problem is you're denying facts and like others can't actually find a way to counter the facts so come up with excuses that don't make anysense

For example, you say that more platforms means that a game would be available to more people than a game on one platform, but that's literally nonsense to the highest degree.

MK11 is on the PS4, 100 million PS4 owners do not have access to MK as around half that user base can't even purchase the game. Add in retailer selectiveness for areas that do sell it making the amount of access even smaller and this throws your theory right in the trash.

For Smash all Switch owners have access to the game everywhere the Switch is sold and as the Switch sales more additional sales will be added to Smash from nearly every location the Switch and the game is sold in.

MK11 is on the Switch, and it's the 3rd or 4th best fighting game on it but it's below games like Pokken, why? Because you can't freaking buy MK11 in most places WW.

So the fact that MK is outpacing Smash in 2019, and may have reached over 60% of Smashes currently sales while releasing 4 months late is impressive.

For some reason people want to pretend MK sales aren't impressive, but if SF had these sales you'd be diving into each piss saying it was gold.

Not a single excuse so far makes anysense, and downplaying MK's relative unavailability to Smash is dumb, only some retailers carry the game in countries it's sold in, even here though just a few, in the US. Other countries straight up banned the game. Yet it's still selling this well?

If that's not impressive to you than you are in upside down land and may have to put whatever you're using down.

Where as MK has competition and competes with AAA games in other genres
Hold the phone. Because Mortal Kombat 11 was reported to have surpassed sales of Kingdom Hearts III back in June, you think it's competing with other genres? As if the people looking to play a new fighting game might have skipped Mortal Kombat in favor of an action RPG with terrible writing?

Let's try and stay within the same genre when talking about competition.

Hold the phone. Because Mortal Kombat 11 was reported to have surpassed sales of Kingdom Hearts III back in June, you think it's competing with other genres?

Not a single think I said implied this or a gave you any logical platform to jump to this assumption. That's actually quite a reach. I didn't even mention KH3 in the post you quoted.

My point was that due to being on more platforms MK has to sell among more competition than Smash. Which doesn't have much competition on its single platform, which does make a difference. I'm not saying MK is competing with COD, which it's not.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
And MK has characters that make it successful.

The problem is you're denying facts and like others can't actually find a way to counter the facts so come up with excuses that don't make anysense

For example, you say that more platforms means that a game would be available to more people than a game on one platform, but that's literally nonsense to the highest degree.

MK11 is on the PS4, 100 million PS4 owners do not have access to MK as around half that user base can't even purchase the game. Add in retailer selectiveness for areas that do sell it making the amount of access even smaller and this throws your theory right in the trash.

For Smash all Switch owners have access to the game everywhere the Switch is sold and as the Switch sales more additional sales will be added to Smash from nearly every location the Switch and the game is sold in.

MK11 is on the Switch, and it's the 3rd or 4th best fighting game on it but it's below games like Pokken, why? Because you can't freaking buy MK11 in most places WW.

So the fact that MK is outpacing Smash in 2019, and may have reached over 60% of Smashes currently sales while releasing 4 months late is impressive.

For some reason people want to pretend MK sales aren't impressive, but if SF had these sales you'd be diving into each piss saying it was gold.

Not a single excuse so far makes anysense, and downplaying MK's relative unavailability to Smash is dumb, only some retailers carry the game in countries it's sold in, even here though just a few, in the US. Other countries straight up banned the game. Yet it's still selling this well?

If that's not impressive to you than you are in upside down land and may have to put whatever you're using down.

MK is mainly popular in the US, as it always been.

100 million PS4 owners do not have access to MK? WTF? :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's on PC
It's on Xbox
It's on Switch
It's on PS4

All available in the biggest market.

Smash Ultimate released in 2018.

Smash continues to chart in the top 20 (which includes no digital Data) far more frequently than Mortal Kombat 11 and\or higher than Mortal Kombat 11. This is 2018

Smash sold more in a shorter period of time than MK11.

What in the hell are you even talking about? lol

If a game is available on more platforms with a bigger install base, it should generate more sales, but it hasn't. MK doesn't have the same appeal as it does in the US.

That's just the fact.

Smash appeals more to casuals than Mortal Kombat.

You're having a hard time accepting this.

My point was that due to being on more platforms MK has to sell among more competition than Smash. Which doesn't have much competition on its single platform, which does make a difference. I'm not saying MK is competing with COD, which it's not.
So Mortal Kombat 11 is not actually competing with those games on the other platforms but you still think it's impressive because it is "selling among more competition".

MK is mainly popular in the US, as it always been.

100 million PS4 owners do not have access to MK? WTF? :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's on PC
It's on Xbox
It's on Switch
It's on PS4

All available in the biggest market.

Doesn't matter, MK sells millions worldwide, in the countries that sell the game.

You aren't refuting any point I'm making you're just ignoring it and repeating the same thing and igoring the facts. MK is less available than Smash that's a fact, It doesn't matter if the US is the biggest market for MK, the US is also the biggest market for Smash, congratulations?

WW MK is has less reach than Smash, and what's funny is you're contradicting yourself because you're saying one one hand that Smash has sold more because of iconic characters, but then come up with the it's on multiple platforms excuse for why MK11 is selling FASTER than SMASH in 2019, so those are too conflicting beliefs, it's either Smash is selling more because of Iconic characters, or Smash is selling less because MK is on platforms, you can't have both.

Sorry.

Smash Ultimate released in 2018.

Smash continues to chart in the top 20

Smash sold more in a shorter period of time than MK11.

And MK has been charting on top since it came out this year until now in December. You aren't refuting any points just trying to throw random statements out like it means anything.

Sure Super Smash U had sell more copies, around 10 million, in a short time. But that means Smash sold 6 million or less in 2019 by the start of this month, which means that MK has been selling faster than it this entire year since it launched in March nearly 4 months after Smash, which means, again, wait for it, it's closing the gap.

If a game is available on more platforms with a bigger install base, it should generate more sales, but it hasn't. MK doesn't have the same appeal as it does in the US.

Yet MK sells millions outside the US, you aren't refuting anything you keep making up lies with nothing to support it and you aren't actually showing how anything I said is wrong. You keep coming up with strawmans and pointless stasticitcs that don't apply when implemented honestly.

For example, yes in most cases more platforms would mean a bigger install base, that's one of the reasons why COD is one of the biggest games every year if not the biggest.

Except MK is banned in several more countries than COD, and COD is usually within most retailers without them being selective on whether to carry MK, in the countries MK is not banned from.

This is the part your brain has problems comprehending. I can go to nearly any country and any retailer and by Smash, I can't do that for MK.

Also MK is currently outselling Smash for 2019 at a faster pace, and as I said above you keep making contradictory statements. You say Smash is outselling MK because of Iconic characters but it's not currently outselling MK and MK also has Iconic characters, you can't just combine a bunch of random statements together and then say it's a fact.

If MK was COD, or SF, or Crash, or Madden you'd have an argument for platforms and installbase but MK is a clear exception, it is the MOST banned active gaming franchise on the market WW right now with likely the most retail selectiveness WW as well. Smash does not have this problem.

That fact doesn't change because you keep repeating "4 platforms" over and over, if you disagree than refute it, but you can't that's why you keep dismissing posts and saying the same thing over and over again, it's a fact that MK is banned in several countries and doesn't have a large retail presence compared to Smash. So why are you arguing against that fact like it doesn't matter when that alienates millions of potential sales?

Smash appeals more to casuals than Mortal Kombat.

Most casuals don't have access to MK, especially in the countries were it's banned in.

Do you see why you're argument becomes more faulty every time? You're excuses have to pretend that MK is sold in every store/country relative to Smash but it's not so they always fall apart. This is an example of a statement that makes zero sense because you're trying to use casuals as a means for why Smash is ahead, yet MK11 since it launched has been outpacing Smash the whole year and many casual markets are closed off to it.

So again, I don't see how MK11 is NOT impressive in sales considering all the advantages Smash has. Tekken is a popular fighting game series with none of MK's handicaps and sells much less, and this was a franchise for now, has the highest sales of any traditional fighting game although it will be passed by MK with MK11.

oagboghi2

I come back to this thread and you’ve invented some new bullshit excuse that apparently no one can buy MK11. 😂

Not a single think I said implied this or a gave you any logical platform to jump to this assumption. That's actually quite a reach. I didn't even mention KH3 in the post you quoted.

You’re entire ridiculous theory relies on outselling KH3.

And let’s be clear, your thread is arguing it will outsell Ultimate lifetime. Not in one year

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Doesn't matter, MK sells millions worldwide, in the countries that sell the game.

You aren't refuting any point I'm making you're just ignoring it and repeating the same thing and igoring the facts. MK is less available than Smash that's a fact, It doesn't matter if the US is the biggest market for MK, the US is also the biggest market for Smash, congratulations?

I'm refuting it and destroying your point.

You're ignoring the bigger install base, and you want to keep saying, "many people don't have access to MK11."

You think it will sell a lot in Japan if it was released in that region when you're talking about a niche genre and a game that doesn't have the same amount of appeal outside of the US.

And MK has been charting on top since it came out this year until now in December. You aren't refuting any points just trying to throw random statements out like it means anything.

Sure Super Smash U had sell more copies, around 10 million, in a short time. But that means Smash sold 6 million or less in 2019 by the start of this month, which means that MK has been selling faster than it this entire year since it launched in March nearly 4 months after Smash, which means, again, wait for it, it's closing the gap.

You said it's out pacing it, which means you're saying it's selling faster than Smash did.

WW MK is has less reach than Smash, and what's funny is you're contradicting yourself because you're saying one one hand that Smash has sold more because of iconic characters, but then come up with the it's on multiple platforms excuse for why MK11 is selling FASTER than SMASH in 2019, so those are too conflicting beliefs, it's either Smash is selling more because of Iconic characters, or Smash is selling less because MK is on platforms, you can't have both.

Sorry.

Again, this is absolutely stupid.

No one is contradicting themselves.

I said Smash appeals to more gamers than Mortal Kombat and that's why it's one of the reasons why best selling fighting games.

You tried to counter that by saying Mortal Kombat has them too, but it's obvious they're not as iconic as Smash's characters.

You can't sit here and say Mario, Link and Pokemon has the same appeal as Scorpion and Sub-Zero.

If MK was COD, or SF, or Crash, or Madden you'd have an argument for platforms and installbase but MK is a clear exception, it is the MOST banned active gaming franchise on the market WW right now with likely the most retail selectiveness WW as well. Smash does not have this problem.

No

Mortal Kombat 11 is available to MORE gamers in the US and Smash still sells better.

What you're not getting is that MK has less appeal outside of the US.

Smash over a million in Japan in less than a week. You actually think Mortal Kombat can compete with that? :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

then come up with the it's on multiple platforms excuse for why MK11 is selling FASTER than SMASH in 2019,

Wrong.

I said it's on multiple platforms and Smash STILL sells better.

Most casuals don't have access to MK, especially in the countries were it's banned in.

Do you see why you're argument becomes more faulty every time? You're excuses have to pretend that MK is sold in every store/country relative to Smash but it's not so they always fall apart. This is an example of a statement that makes zero sense because you're trying to use casuals as a means for why Smash is ahead, yet MK11 since it launched has been outpacing Smash the whole year and many casual markets are closed off to it.

No.

The US is Mortal Kombat's biggest region BY far and it still doesn't sell better than MK, when it's on MULTIPLE PLATFORMS.

You're trying to tell people Mortal Kombat will do very well in Japan when evidence suggest otherwise. That's your problem.

I LOVE how you keep saying it's outpacing Smash this year when Smash launched in 2018 and MK11 launched in 2019. IT's such a stupid statement to make.

Last edited:

neto

I LOVE how you keep saying it's outpacing Smash this year when Smash launched in 2018 and MK11 launched in 2019. IT's such a stupid statement to make.
He keeps forgetting that every game is frontloaded and yes mk might have sold more this year but only because smash launch wasn't this year, I'm pretty sure if you launch align both games you could see that smash sells on average more than mk and I still can't believe he thinks mk characters are more appealing than smash, that's nuts

Klayzer

Who are these banned countries, where all these theoretical missed sales for MK11 are supposed to come from?

Afro, you have a tendency to bunker down on outdated or incomplete data. Your penchant for posting strange and baity argumentative style topics never ceases to amuse me. Do you purposely like being obtuse just for a circle jerk? Asking for a friend.

CrisPy2019

Oh is Evo what determines what a fighting game is now?

Poor KOF XIV, not even on the front page of Evos website.
Appereantly you are what defines what a fighting game is?
Not people playing it. Not people playing fighting games in tournaments in general.

Oooounlyyyyy youuuuuu......dadum dada Dumm (Imagine music playing and also translate latest word from German)

BTW. Alot of people can play mk or Tekken etc. By just mashing one button and win against other people. Would be news to me if that would be as simple in smash.(because of projectiles etc)
Therefore other games are just button Mashers?

Top Bottom