• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Mortal Kombat 11 beat Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in sales?

Mortal Kombat 11 came out in March 2019 running off the momentum of Mortal Kombat X which sold 11 million copies, making MKX the best selling MK game of all time and the best selling real fighting game of all time.

We know that Mortal Kombat 11 has done well in most NPD and international charts most of the year, and we know that it had passed Kingdom Hearts 3 early this year. Kingdom hearts 3 sold 5 million in only a few weeks so we don't know where KGIII sales were at in June, but in June we received articles reporting that MK 11 outsold KGIII as the best selling game of 2019 at that point.

This means that by June we know MK11 sold at least over 5 million, how much more? We don't know, but we know it charted well for months and just had large sales in stores for November.

Some outlets say Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the best selling "fighting game" at 15 million units.

This brings me to the following prediction. I believe that it may be possible that MK11 will sell or come close to selling 10 million units by the end of the year. Everything shows MK11 much selling faster than MKX, and it has been charting well for most of the year. This would put MKX in a prime position to outsell Super Smash Ultimate which is slowing down in sales. MK would only have to sell around 6 million more or so in order to best SSBU and prove these outlets incorrect.

I think there's a very strong chance of this happening.

Some outlets say Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the best selling "fighting game" at 15 million units.

Pretty sure Super Smash Bros. can still be classified as a fighting game since you choose characters to fight on stages even if knocking your opponent off that stage by way of hitting them to increase their percentage (health) bar is different from most other games.

It's like implying Need for Speed isn't a real racing game but Gran Turismo is. Arcade racer =/= Racing simulator, but it is still a racing game. Super Smash Bros. is a crossover fighting game, not a "party" game, not a brawler etc.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Super Smash Bros. can still be classified as a fighting game since you choose characters to fight on stages even if knocking your opponent off that stage by way of hitting them to increase their percentage (health) bar is different from most other games.

So my your loose definition Mario Party and several other games are fighting games.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if MK11 can reach past the number Smash got either way. I think there's a strong chance.

What is your criteria for a fighting game?

A fighting game.

Most of the market doesn't treat Smash like a fighting game, it's an action party game at best. The fact I have to change the game to make it closer to a fighting game should already be enough, and it's clearly not designed to be one which was true with even Melee, where several of the "fighting" aspects of the game were glitches.

Compare it to other 4 player fighting games of the past then you see there's clearly a different objective in the design. I doubt most casual powers, the ones buying it the most, even try it as a fighting game, they are probably playing with items and weird stages with hazards and not Final Destination or equivalents, and I doubt they are plugging in a Gamecube controller. Calling Smash a fighting game wasn't too common until Melee as well. Also despite Brawl being the start of people really fighting massively to call it a fighting game, core fans though it was a step back from melee.

It seems more of a way to defend it's place at evo and many core fans find it to be the only fighting-style game they are good at imo. Again look at other 4 player fighting games of the past not using Smashs formula and notice how the design direction is completely different.

But even if we were to consider it a fighting game, that doesn't change the thread. It's about a prediction of where MK11 will be in sales in relation to Smash anyway.

A fighting game.

Most of the market doesn't treat Smash like a fighting game, it's an action party game at best. The fact I have to change the game to make it closer to a fighting game should already be enough, and it's clearly not designed to be one which was true with even Melee, where several of the "fighting" aspects of the game were glitches.

Compare it to other 4 player fighting games of the past then you see there's clearly a different objective in the design. I doubt most casual powers, the ones buying it the most, even try it as a fighting game, they are probably playing with items and weird stages with hazards and not Final Destination or equivalents, and I doubt they are plugging in a Gamecube controller. Calling Smash a fighting game wasn't too common until Melee as well. Also despite Brawl being the start of people really fighting massively to call it a fighting game, core fans though it was a step back from melee.

It seems more of a way to defend it's place at evo and many core fans find it to be the only fighting-style game they are good at imo. Again look at other 4 player fighting games of the past not using Smashs formula and notice how the design direction is completely different.

But even if we were to consider it a fighting game, that doesn't change the thread. It's about a prediction of where MK11 will be in sales in relation to Smash anyway.

These are a lot of words for "I have no idea what the fuck I'm talking about."

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Oh is Evo what determines what a fighting game is now?

Poor KOF XIV, not even on the front page of Evos website.

Not at all HOWEVER, until Jackbox, Mario Party and Just Dance show up at EVO, I'll consider the premier fighting game tournament a fair metric on what qualifies a fighting game.

Not being included does not mean it's excommunicated from the genre.

A fighting game.

What does this have to do with anything? The core mechanics are still in the base game. Most of the market plays call of duty for the single player. That doesn't negate what's in the actual game.

The objective of the game is to win. By fighting your opponent.

which 4 player fighting games are you speaking of? What is the design direction? We judge games on their mechanics. Not there intentions. What the fuck are you talking about?

Say something stupid. Expect to get called out on it

Shaqazooloo

I don't think this is so impossible considering MKX sold 11 million.
You really think MK11 will have the legs to outsell Smash? Smash will sell until the Switch is dead and buried and beyond, I don't see it selling any less then 20 million lifetime.

MK11 has until the next Xbox and PS5 release and I don't even think it'll last that long considering Joker releases in January and they don't seem to have plans beyond that for DLC.

You're suggesting that MK11 will not only close the gap between it and Smash bros but also outsell it and remain at point of sales that Smash bros cannot obtain.

With how good the legs have been for Nintendo evergreens on Switch, this has next to no chance of happening.

Edit: I have been corrected on the DLC for MK11, Spawn is in March and they might have plans after that, I still don't think it makes much difference, Smash legs are going to be bigger and longer then MK11 regardless.

Last edited:
What does this have to do with anything? The core mechanics are still in the base game. Most of the market plays call of duty for the single player. That doesn't negate what's in the actual game.

That the part you forgot to read, Smash doesn't have fighting game mechanics, look at older 4 player fighting games that don't use that formula, notice how they still play and feel like fighting games? Because of the mechanics.

Just because you hit something off a stage doesn't make it a fighting game.

The objective of the game is to win. By fighting your opponent.

That's a lot of genres that just suddenly became fighting games.

See already you are in a hole.

You really think MK11 will have the legs to outsell Smash? Smash will sell until the Switch is dead and buried and beyond, I don't see it selling any less then 20 million lifetime.

MK11 has until the next Xbox and PS5 release and I don't even think it'll last that long considering Joker releases in January and they don't seem to have plans beyond that for DLC.

Why do you think the MK11 is going to randomly stop selling by Nov next year because of new consoles? That's never happened with an MK game before.

Last edited:
That the part you forgot to read, Smash doesn't have fighting game mechanics, look at older 4 player fighting games that don't use that formula, notice how they still play and feel like fighting games? Because of the mechanics.

Just because you hit something off a stage doesn't make it a fighting game.
To say nothing of ring outs and stage fatalities. Hm.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Fresh off a ban already instigating people making silly threads I see.

I guess I’m too dense to understand the point but even for discussion sake ..... who cares?

I own both and both are fun.

To say nothing of ring outs and stage fatalities. Hm.

Stage fatalities have to be activated and you have to get your opponent into them.

Ring outs end a round and you can't get back on stage after one happens.

This are bad comparisons.

If it makes you feel better PSABR isn't a fighting game either, but it's arguably closer than SSBU.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Smash has spacing, area control, footsies, whiff punishing, frame advantage, hit boxes, hurt boxes, reads, combos, is viable for tournament play, is highly skill based instead of random.

Sounds like a fighting game to me.

Smash has spacing, area control, footsies, whiff punishing, frame advantage, hit boxes, hurt boxes, reads, combos, is viable for tournament play, is highly skill based instead of random.

Sounds like a fighting game to me.

Most of that list is in other genres. I mean did you actually list Hit Boxes?

Shaqazooloo

Why do you think the MK11 is going to randomly stop selling by Nov next year because of new consoles? hat's never happened with an MK game.
It's not gonna be outselling Smash on a weekly or monthly basis. It's sales aren't gonna be noteworthy, when everybody is trying to get the next gen consoles and sales for this gen start to crater.

oagboghi2

Why do you think the MK11 is going to randomly stop selling by Nov next year because of new consoles? That's never happened with an MK game before.
Mortal kombat does not sell long term the same way Nintendo titles do. Smash bros still sells as if it was just released.

Hell, we don't even have to wait long. Let's see what does better this holiday season. Smash bros or Mortal Kombat.

Stage fatalities have to be activated and you have to get your opponent into them.

If it makes you feel better PSABR isn't a fighting game either, but it's arguably closer than SSBU.
losing stock in ssbu is no different than losing a character in something like king of fighters. There is no significant difference.

Last edited:
Mortal kombat does not sell long term the same way Nintendo titles do. Smash bros still sells as if it was just released.

Hell, we don't even have to wait long. Let's see what does better this holiday season. Smash bros or Mortal Kombat

So you're just going to pretend the last 3 MK games didn't exist that all sold amazingly because they had legs? You need long term sales in order to sell 11 million units with MKX.

You have to keep fighting your opponent in Super Smash Bros. to get the equivalent of a ring out.

In Soul Calibur, you can walk backwards long enough to get a ring out but it is still a fighting game. Same with Super Smash Bros.

Last edited:
Yes, like genres called "fighting games" 😂

Smash players discuss hit and hurt boxes in the same contexts that SF /Tekken /MK /Marvel /etc players do. Not in same contexts as say, CoD players would.

I mean did you actually comprehend these words?

You're already backpedaling adding things you hadn't previously.

Let me educate you guys on what a real fighting game is, you pay attention too OP.

You know how you go to the supermarket and buy some milk? You drink the milk and realize it's expired, so you return it. That's what Smash Bros. is, spoiled milk. You may think this doesn't explain anything, and you would be right i'm drunk.

oagboghi2

So you're just going to pretend the last 3 MK games didn't exist that all sold amazingly because they had legs? You need long term sales in order to sell 11 million units with MKX.
none of those 3 examples sold as well as smash bros.

No, the legs of previous MK games are not impressive, especially compared to a franchise that outsells it routinely. MKX came out in 2015, and it took 5 years for it to hit 11 million. SSBU has beaten that in one year.

Um, Spawn releases in March and NRS has made it clear they intend to support MK11 for a long time to come, so I wouldn't just expect the DLC to stop due to the PS5 and XSX launching in Fall 2020.

Top Bottom