• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmic Star Heroine |OT| Alyssa's Chrono Phantasy

kaitain19

So apparently this game (as well as several others I'm interested in) isn't available in my home region (Asia). Is creating a US PSN account my only option for purchasing this game or is there somehow a way to change my preexisting account's region?

Honome

So apparently this game (as well as several others I'm interested in) isn't available in my home region (Asia). Is creating a US PSN account my only option for purchasing this game or is there somehow a way to change my preexisting account's region?

The only option is to create an us account and buy the game there, but don't worry, you just need to purchase and download the game in this new account and can play in your main account just like any other digital game you have.

Linkura

Got this all installed and ready to go for when my husband is out of town in two weekends from now. He's hogging the PS4 going for DQH2 trophies until then. :p

Can I just say... thanks for actually making the font a decent size so you don't have to work hard to read it. One of the worst things in games these days is devs not making the damn font readable. So hats of to you guys for that :)

Just starting my play through now but that stood out to me immediately.

Lime

The game is currently on sale on PSN - if I buy the PS4 version, does that grant me a Vita version once it releases or...? I.e. is it cross-buy?

Well I'm only 2 hours in and it's a very good game so far. Can't believe I held off so long (though the sale was the sweetener). Having lots of fun. Battle system is easy to grasp but has plenty of depth and strategy with the focus and recharge. But it's just great turn based battles which I love.

Seems to get a lot right (such as aforementioned font and changing run to default). The dialogue is great too. Listening to everyone which isn't something I normally do, because there's some funny comments that made me smile and have character.

Anyone on the fence should take advantage of the current sale and invest. So far it doesn't look like it's going to disappoint. More a real pleasant surprise and gem more people need to play.

Exentryk

Just bought it on GOG. Good time for a sale as I had just finished Hollow Knight and was looking for something new to play. Will start it this weekend.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Can I just say... thanks for actually making the font a decent size so you don't have to work hard to read it. One of the worst things in games these days is devs not making the damn font readable. So hats of to you guys for that :)

Just starting my play through now but that stood out to me immediately.

Haha, yeah, tiny text in games (especially text-heavy ones) is a pretty big pet peeve of ours. Big text for various sized TVs is important. Also the big text will come in handy for the portable version(s) too.

DxD

Banned
Great game. I really love the sprites and the Chrono Trigger-SNES style.
But if they are making a sequel, they need to nerf Vulnerability though.
I think I was doing 10-12k a pop near end game with combination of Vulnerability+Boost.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Great game. I really love the sprites and the Chrono Trigger-SNES style.
But if they are making a sequel, they need to nerf Vulnerability though.
I think I was doing 10-12k a pop near end game with combination of Vulnerability+Boost.

I think they can keep it as is, but they should make the final bosses tougher. I found some of the mobs and bosses in the game to be decently challenging on Heroine, but the final bosses were a total joke and I wasn't ever in any danger. I wasn't using any significantly OP/broken tactics either.

Keym

I'm experiencing a weird bug with the PS4 version. Every time I make the screen move by running, everything blurs, and everything looks as if a bilinear filter is being applied to the screen. Same thing happens for a split second when I go to the menu, sometimes when picking commands in battle, and sometimes when character portraits come up during conversations. Is it just me?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Three times now I've wanted to start this, but all three end with the same issue I can't seem to solve - at the very first point you control Alyssa she automatically walks left. It has to be some sort of software conflict but I have no idea what. I've tried unplugging all my controllers and restarting the PC, and even with just mouse and keyboard I get the same issue.

Hard to search for anything to see if anyone else has had the problem or solved it since the terms to describe it are so vague.

One little issue I have with the game (and it's not a biggie) is when you approach something or someone that has a prompt (ie talk or examine), you have to be right on it, like the area for it to pop up is very small. Also when say you've talked to a shop keeper or a person, to talk to them again, you have to walk away and walk back to them for the prompt to come back up, it doesn't stay on.

Like I say just little niggles, because mostly everything else is spot on with the game.

As a suggestion though I also wouldn't mind some sort of double speed (if there isn't one already). Even just in the battles.

But I'm about 5 or so hours in now and just done the
underwater
section. Also never knew there was a sort of overworld in the game which is cool. Very much still loving the game. Coming from FFXII straight to this, I'm actually enjoying this much more. The characters have a character to them and I dare say, the more I play, the more I'll care for them, something XII lacked for me.

I'll have to do some research on what certain status changes do though (like rust etc), as I haven't seen anything negative about them when I've used them yet.

Keym

I fixed that weird blur bug I had before, it was some setting on my TV. Now I can enjoy the game without being distracted every two seconds!

Lucent

One little issue I have with the game (and it's not a biggie) is when you approach something or someone that has a prompt (ie talk or examine), you have to be right on it, like the area for it to pop up is very small. Also when say you've talked to a shop keeper or a person, to talk to them again, you have to walk away and walk back to them for the prompt to come back up, it doesn't stay on.

Like I say just little niggles, because mostly everything else is spot on with the game.

As a suggestion though I also wouldn't mind some sort of double speed (if there isn't one already). Even just in the battles.

But I'm about 5 or so hours in now and just done the
underwater
section. Also never knew there was a sort of overworld in the game which is cool. Very much still loving the game. Coming from FFXII straight to this, I'm actually enjoying this much more. The characters have a character to them and I dare say, the more I play, the more I'll care for them, something XII lacked for me.

I'll have to do some research on what certain status changes do though (like rust etc), as I haven't seen anything negative about them when I've used them yet.

From what I saw it seems like rust caused machines to slow down. I cast it on one and it was pushed back on the turn line so it had to wait longer to attack.

Finished it. Loved it. Thanks for making this game. I want more like it. Great characters and world you created. Some nice music. Love the title music and the winning battle jingle. Game had some niggles but nothing major to spoil a great game. Battle system was a treat. There's probably a bit I missed in regards to side missions and maybe dungeons but the main game took me 16 hrs on Agent. Which is a really nice length and didn't outstay it's welcome. There's certainly potential if you ever created another and work on the things that were right whilst improving in other areas that maybe didn't hit the mark.

Exentryk

Just put in an hour or so and really enjoying the combat! I love how the items aren't a limited resource, but you can only be used once per battle. The skill-recharge system along with hyper also adds nice planning to the combat. I started in the highest difficulty, and it isn't so bad after the first couple of fights. I love how quick and easy it is to retry.

Other aspects seem okay so far. The art is nice, and the whole agency stuff seems okay so far. The NPC conversations have some easter eggs thrown in which is neat. And I'm also liking the small cutscenes thrown in there.

It would have been nice if there was a quick-save shortcut button though.
Anyway, let's see how it progresses.

Holy crap at the Resident Evil themed side mission. That was great. Neat touch :)

Just platinum'd it. Missed the soda one right at the start of the game so had to start a new game to grab this. The rest you can all go back for except the soda one.

Btw a bit of an annoyance I found that throughout the game I got stuck 3 times in separate spots with the main character. You can look around but you can't move meaning a reload or restart. Just had this near a chest as I was going for the soda trophy again, meaning I had to restart the game again. Thankfully I wasn't too far in.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Holy crap at the Resident Evil themed side mission. That was great. Neat touch :)

Just platinum'd it. Missed the soda one right at the start of the game so had to start a new game to grab this. The rest you can all go back for except the soda one.

Btw a bit of an annoyance I found that throughout the game I got stuck 3 times in separate spots with the main character. You can look around but you can't move meaning a reload or restart. Just had this near a chest as I was going for the soda trophy again, meaning I had to restart the game again. Thankfully I wasn't too far in.

Glad you liked it; as for the stuck thing:

It's kinda hard without screenshots but I can fix instances of this pretty easily if I know the spot.

I'm guessing the one in the early game is between the chest and that computer terminal? Huh, thought I'd fixed that. I"ll check on it.

Also, if you ever get stuck like that, you can always save the game and then quit / load the game and you'll start out from the entrance of that area nearby.

Glad you liked it; as for the stuck thing:

It's kinda hard without screenshots but I can fix instances of this pretty easily if I know the spot.

I'm guessing the one in the early game is between the chest and that computer terminal? Huh, thought I'd fixed that. I"ll check on it.

Also, if you ever get stuck like that, you can always save the game and then quit / load the game and you'll start out from the entrance of that area nearby.

Yeah that's the one. Just before the robo dog in the building. Sorry can't remember the other 2 spots as it wasn't something that really bothered me too much except when I had to restart the game to get the soda trophy after the above known glitch. I had thought about saving but then didn't want to mess my save if it reloaded me back in that same spot but cool to know it wouldn't. I'm playing on PS4 if that helps.

Got Cosmic Star Heroine deployed & running on an Xbox One devkit for the first time. Save/achievements aren't working yet & there's a Steamworks error I need to clean up, but otherwise, the game seems to be running fine from the few minutes I've tried it.

Exentryk

Played a little more, and had a fair few retries against
those 3 spider shaped droids with 700 HP. Then I realized I had a water up accessory that I wasn't using, and that was the key to victory. Other than that, the other fights have been okay.

I am not a fan of fights taking too long, but I do appreciate that the number of encounters in an area aren't too excessive. This helps with the pacing quite a bit.

In the story,
the decision about turning against their agency seemed a little rushed and less impactful.

Anyway, back to playing some more!

Edit: Loving this
Nightshade club. Beautiful music, and art! Also lol, the future:

qQnjQAC.png

Robert, will you guys be announcing a new project this year? Will you be returning to Kickstarter?

I thought they had announced plans for an Xbox version to come at some point after the PS4/Vita release. Of course that doesn't preclude them from making another project as well, I'd imagine the porting would be less encompassing than building the whole game, so fewer people would be necessary.

I thought they had announced plans for an Xbox version to come at some point after the PS4/Vita release. Of course that doesn't preclude them from making another project as well, I'd imagine the porting would be less encompassing than building the whole game, so fewer people would be necessary.

If you look a few posts up, I was talking about how I managed to get the game working on an Xbox One devkit earlier this week. Still have to do a couple things before we can release on XBO (like hook up achievements), but making good progress.

Also, this week, we got the game running on Linux for the first time. :)

As far as our next game, we're planning things out, but not ready to make an official announcement yet. It will most likely have gameplay similar to Cosmic Star Heroine but with a multi-class system. Battles will probably be first-person perspective (like Cthulhu Saves the World but nicer) since we want to get it done within a year and not in 4 years like CSH took. Leaning towards an "Alternate Modern" setting, but haven't finalized things there. Haven't decided if we're going to do Kickstarter or not.

Exentryk

I love how the game keeps introducing new characters; it keeps the game fresh. Be careful with switching gear though, as the gear doesn't get removed when they leave the party. So you might be stuck if you put some uber gear to a character, and they leave the party.

Also, when buying weapons, it'd be nice to see what weapon we currently have, and if we already own the gear, etc.

Re story,
the fair was awesome, and a nice little callback to Chrono Trigger. Sector 7 was a neat reference too
. It's been going well so far, and I'm enjoying myself.

Tailzo

If you look a few posts up, I was talking about how I managed to get the game working on an Xbox One devkit earlier this week. Still have to do a couple things before we can release on XBO (like hook up achievements), but making good progress.

Also, this week, we got the game running on Linux for the first time. :).

Did you get any closer to releasing the Vita version since those memory issues I read about? :)

Exentryk

Really enjoying
Arete's buffed drones and Chahn's party regen (via Lauren's shield), along with Kevin Clarke's passive regen.
Cleaning up in Super Spy now. I love this aspect of RPGs where you can create really strong parties if you spend time with the systems.

Also, the game really opened up
once you get the airship. Being able to recruit these passive characters is a cool feature
. Having a really good time so far!

Question 1: Does having two Poison Up or Water Up abilities stack? Since the game gives you both weapons and accessories with these abilities, you would think they'd stack, but just want to be sure.

Question 2: Is there a way to see detailed info for programs? Like how much damage percentage does Void Blast/Lightning/Incinerate/Earthquate/etc do for example?

delroy

Neo Member
Finished this up over the course of a week after picking it up on the recent PSN sale. After playing through a few longer RPGs recently (FFVI, P5, Fire Emblem), CSH was a breath of fresh air. It doesn't waste time getting started or getting to where it's going. Only real knocks I have are that it crashed a few times which was annoying, and that there's not a follow-up in this universe already announced.

Finally got around to playing through this (was in on the kickstarter, and I have it on Steam...I double dipped on the recent PSN sale and that is the version I'm actually playing). I'm about 10 hours or so through. I have my full party and have done all of the optionals I can find before heading to what I feel like is the last area.

Really enjoying this game and all of the shout outs/homages to various games.
was not expecting the Resident Evil side quest. Also like when you pick up Lauren, the Bubblegum Crisis vibe from that cut scene.

Exentryk

I wish the programs weren't fixed in their respective shields. It would have been better if we could remove and add whatever programs to whatever shields we wanted. I say this because there are good programs embedded in early game shields and the def stats on those are really low.
Maybe something for them to think about in their next game.

Exentryk

I'm lost. How do I get the dress for the party? I got the voucher code and spoke to the tailorbot. Nothing.

You get it from the general store. If you spoke to that bot, you already should have it. It won't show in your item list or anything though, and it won't change your appearance right then, but later.

Exentryk

Just finished the 3rd area
(Nuluup)
and ran in to a
superboss (Dem)
. Killed him, and he didn't even get a 2nd turn, lol (on Super Spy of course). Love the variety in abilities and their interactions!

Anyway, enjoy a screenshot of this nice view (not really a spoiler, but ymmv)

New game idea: Hospital where an elite team of doctors use miniaturized mechs to fight crazy bio-terrorist diseases. Based on the CSH engine & gameplay. Lots of fun dungeon possibilities & it'd be really easy to throw in some Persona/Sakura Taisen-style story stuff between mission. And hey, between playing through Trauma Team & watching Doctor Crush, I think I've got the relevant medical background that would be necessary to pull this off.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Wasn't there story DLC planned for this game? When will it be released? I'm waiting for all the game's content to be released before purchasing.

Keym

New game idea: Hospital where an elite team of doctors use miniaturized mechs to fight crazy bio-terrorist diseases. Based on the CSH engine & gameplay. Lots of fun dungeon possibilities & it'd be really easy to throw in some Persona/Sakura Taisen-style story stuff between mission. And hey, between playing through Trauma Team & watching Doctor Crush, I think I've got the relevant medical background that would be necessary to pull this off.
Sounds like the logical continuation of the Trauma Center series.

Brashnir

I'm presuming these "dungeons" would be your team of tiny mechs exploring a body looking for disease? If so, I approve.

You could even go a little more persona-ish with the angle and have the people you saved somehow be able to supplant their sentience into the mechs to form the adventuring party.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
I'm lost. How do I get the dress for the party? I got the voucher code and spoke to the tailorbot. Nothing.

In some rare instances the Tailorbot doesn't mention it when you get it. Haven't been able to recreate or find the cause of this. But normally the Bot will deliver dialogue telling you clearly when you have the dress.
At the very least even when this occurs, entering the Mansion with the dress and invitation will work.

Top Bottom