• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coronavirus Leads EA, CD Projekt Red, Square Enix, Capcom To Abandon GDC, PAX East

bumpkin

Yikes. I mean I guess it makes sense. The company I work for (in Boston) has a running travel restriction list that seems to grow week by week. It started with just China, and has since expanded to Japan, Singapore, Italy, and South Korea.

That said, I dread if/when there are confirmed cases in my town or neighboring towns. If there’s one thing the US populous sucks at, it’s being considerate of other people’s health. I used to work with people at an old job that could be practically on death’s door and they’d still come into the office.

Now granted, our country’s obsession with working til you drop is mostly to blame, but there’s no excuse for grown adults who don’t cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze in public, or wash their hands regularly.

Last edited:

Ivellios

For more sad it can be Brasil confirmed the first case today :(
The guy was one that recently come from Italy and he was near the area of the affected there.

I’m scared? I’m terrified... I have a 9 months old child and if that spread though the country how it will be :(

The Brasilian’s government will make on official pronunciation in few hours.

Unfortunately i expect more cases soon because of Carnaval, lots of people and tourists came here.

Wish you and your son the best, i read somewhere that the very young are safer from the virus. Though i didnt make any research to see if this is true or not.

JAMMA

Last warning for console wars
Just like E3, Microsoft wins by default.

In all seriousness, maybe we should have a complete China Travel ban for awhile. It’s not “racist” to do so, it’s ignorant to not.

Graciaus

I live in Massachusetts not that far from Boston. There was one case a few weeks ago here. I wouldn't be upset if the whole event was postponed or canceled.

Jtibh

Banned
For more sad it can be Brasil confirmed the first case today :(
The guy was one that recently come from Italy and he was near the area of the affected there.

I’m scared? I’m terrified... I have a 9 months old child and if that spread though the country how it will be :(

The Brasilian’s government will make on official pronunciation in few hours.
If i would live in brazil i would cover my face with hot brazilian asses.
No need for masks

Google it, lazy troll. Be informed for once.

I've been informed since beginning of Dec when NHK world news started talking about it. You can read daily updates on WHO and CDC websites.

I disagree with the poster I quoted because all they do is go into thread and post hot take headlines which they either clearly haven't read the story or incapable of understanding it.

Look, people are scared, I get that. But do not go online and spread a bunch of bullshit and pretend you are the know-it-all.

I was gonna go to PAX but No FF VII no Cyberpunk No Last of Us Part II, and counting. plus its starting to sound more risky. Seems like it won't be very crowded this year

FFVIIR will still be there, so I'm still going. If this fear-mongering means less people and less crowds, then that's better for me!

MagnesG

Banned
I've been informed since beginning of Dec when NHK world news started talking about it. You can read daily updates on WHO and CDC websites.

I disagree with the poster I quoted because all they do is go into thread and post hot take headlines which they either clearly haven't read the story or incapable of understanding it.

Look, people are scared, I get that. But do not go online and spread a bunch of bullshit and pretend you are the know-it-all.
I didn't know about those hot takes down the line, except the previous lists are all true, non-bullshit news.

Even with some exaggerations, it's not uncommon to be a bit concerned imo.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Between 12,000 and 60,000 people die of the Flu virus in the US every year. People still attend big sporting events, conventions, concerts and go to the airport. Sure some get a little sick but as long as you are careful with what you touch and keep your hands clean, it's not a huge issue. Why is this so much more dire than the Flu?

NickFire

Between 12,000 and 60,000 people die of the Flu virus in the US every year. People still attend big sporting events, conventions, concerts and go to the airport. Sure some get a little sick but as long as you are careful with what you touch and keep your hands clean, it's not a huge issue. Why is this so much more dire than the Flu?
Because the death rate is supposedly much higher.

Garjon

My company has little presence in China and is still taking the virus VERY seriously.

People need to realise that companies aren't worried too much about the mortality rate, they're worried about having to shut down entire departments due to high numbers of staff potentially being exposed by a single person and possibly having to be quarantined.

MagnesG

Banned
Actually 400,000 people die of the flu globally each year with a mortality rate of 1%
Coronvirus is 2% and most that die are elderly or those with weak immune system like the flu

So, not much higher at all.
Is there any wide range preventive measures and quarantines being done for the common flu? Imagine what will happen if COVID-19 spreads with the same response...

Also the death rates within the limited timeframe is still high.

KiNeMz

Banned
It's worse that the flu sorry. We don't have any herd immunity. Also it's only 2% if China's numbers are accurate. Which many fear are not. Based of the other countries statistics the death rate is higher. We don't know yet and that is the issue.

ethomaz

Banned
A virus with few months of life already with bigger death ratio than Flu for years.

And people still says it is about the same lol

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Of course elderly and weak people can die... it is not a big deal.... it should not enter in the statistics at all.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Good to see the gaming community taking precautions, you have to prepare for worst case scenarios.

Arkam

This event will get cancelled mate. I would honestly be shocked if they still went ahead with GDC with so many companies pulling out.

IDK, we are talking about the IGDA and their big cash cow. I mean these are the same tools who refuse to move GDC to Vegas or Orlando which are much better equipped to handle the event. Plus there is not human shit on the side walks of those towns.

MagnesG

Banned
Yet cars are all around us! Boston has what 200 people under quarantine?
Most of the time accidents would happens due humans being careless (drunk driving etc.), unlike a fast spreading epidemic without any proved vaccines existing. At this point, it has more than enough uncontrolled, unknown variables to make people be scared about/companies not taking risks, understandably so.

JAMMA

Last warning for console wars
Hand sanitizer doesn't help for things like this..
Of course it helps, but it’s only if you use it before any instance of touching your eyes, ears nose & mouth or objects that may come into contact with said places (Food, etc).

No it’s not going to stop you from inhaling the virus. Keep your distance from people and don’t be embarrassed to wear a face mask if it starts spreading in your area. Also eat at home as often as possible in such a scenario, you control who prepares your food and comes in contact with it at home. Canned goods are a plus.

efdhwMJ.gif

Dlacy13g

Except for the purpose of the expo is to let the fans play the games. Which is not the same thing as streaming.

Its not a perfect solution BUT it is an alternative and can help keep some positivity in the face of the scare this has brought about. For GDC.... it absolutely is an effective alternative since a lot of what GDC is about is developer presentations w/ Q&A that can be done virtually.

TindalosPup

I was watching the local news this afternoon and they covered PAX-Corona (I'm from Massachusetts), the crowd is still pretty big, certainly not FULL swing, but enough people to communicate disease. Lots of reassuring that they're taking precautions at the event, lots of attendees are taking personal precautions, but the janitorial crew does not seem jazzed about having to wipe door handles at constant intervals throughout the day.

Then, not too long after that story they covered the first US case of Corona that was contracted from the community in California...

3Mv1vIX.gif

Last edited:
This is probably a good move. A conference isn't super important when all the information can be sent out via email. I think it would be a smart move to avoid massive gatherings.

oagboghi2

San Francisco’s mayor issued a state of emergency today!
San Francisco is a disgusting city with a huge homeless problem. We were seeing cases of Typhus and plague come back to California cities years before this “outbreak”.

SF isn’t passing a state of emergency becuase corona is actually there. They are doing it becuase they know they wouldn’t be able to create an effective quarantine. They want to drive down outside tourism and keep people out as much as they can.

honestly the city should step in and cancel all the events at the Moscone center

Last edited:
Top Bottom