• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudNull

Banned

In the past month Sweden went from 5,13 the number of deaths per million Denmark had to 5,35 times as much.

I said that already. I also said it looks like Denmark is about to have a second wave. We will have to wait and see.

Also, as people have mentioned mental health decline is a real issue. I promise you Sweden will have less than all other countries.

Last edited:
All fake news to take our freedom! Don’t believe the hype!
It’s a study of 100 people from a specific age group (mid 40s to early 50s). The study openly admits it is too small to draw any conclusions. So yes, if you want to draw any conclusions from it, you are fear mongering. They also say there is no way for them to know whether there is any lasting impact from their findings. It’s very small study that will need to be looked into further.

Don't even know who Jim Jordan is but seems like another dumb republican. Faucci is not a politician, he is clear, crowds increase the spread of the virus, what the governement does about them is not up to him to decide.
Fauci had no problem specifically calling out churches or reopening protests. But for some reason, he’s very hesitant to explicitly mention these BLM protests. He’s being his typical weasel self. You don’t have to be a politician to act like a politician. And Fauci has been acting this way for a while. If he’s unwilling to be as direct about the protests as he has been about many other things, we should wonder why that is.

Outrunner

Fauci had no problem specifically calling out churches or reopening protests. But for some reason, he’s very hesitant to explicitly mention these BLM protests. He’s being his typical weasel self. You don’t have to be a politician to act like a politician. And Fauci has been acting this way for a while. If he’s unwilling to be as direct about the protests as he has been about many other things, we should wonder why that is.

He said it very clearly, people should stay away from crowds, all kinds of crowds, that includes the protests.

He said it very clearly, people should stay away from crowds, all kinds of crowds, that includes the protests.
Yes. He lumped it into a broader category that includes other things. He made sure to not explicitly mention them though. Who knows why that is. I don't know why, as a public health official, it would be hard for him to say, "protesting spreads the virus."
“My recommendation still holds that the choirs should refrain from singing. When you sing and you project your voice, the aerosols of the virus come out,” he said, contradicting Centers for Disease Control recommendations on socially distanced worship.

"Bars: really not good, really not good. Congregation at a bar, inside, is bad news. We really have got to stop that," Fauci said to the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee hearing on "COVID-19: Update on Progress Toward Safely Getting Back to Work and Back to School."

See, here he is making all kinds of recommendations on banning certain behaviors, curtailing first amendment rights. No weaseling. Very clear.
But then:
"I don't know how many times I can answer that," Fauci said. "I am not going to opine on limiting anything. ... I'm telling you what there is, the danger. And you can make your own conclusion about that. You should stay away from crowds."

See the difference? Wonder why that is.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Yes. He lumped it a broader category that includes other things. He made sure to not explicitly mention them though. Who knows why that is. I don't know why, as a public health official, it would be hard for him to say, "protesting spreads the virus."

See, here he is making all kinds of recommendations on banning certain behaviors, curtailing first amendment rights. No weaseling. Very clear.
But then:

See the difference? Wonder why that is.

Don't forget he said the anti lockdown protests will "backfire" and will just prolong reopenings. He was pretty clear on those protests.

He could of said to Jordan that with the increase in cases the George Kirby protest will "backfire" and get more black people sick and then die but he was weaselly to make sure to mention masks a million times (to keep the narrative that Kirby protesters all wear masks perfectly 100% of the time) and being vague about "crowds".

FireFly

New York got COVID in January. It spread unimpeded for a good 2 months at least, and the system handled it just fine. We lived our normal lives. There were even massive parades and gatherings that the lockdown maniacs were telling us we should go to. When we got sick, and I got very sick with a flu-like illness that included a fever, hacking cough, and joint pain, we stayed home until we felt better.

NYC went into lockdown hysteria at the same time that everyone else did, when retard Rudy Gobert got that positive test that shut down the NBA. The truth is we have no idea how many people got COVID during this time, because nobody was testing, and nobody was implementing these insane procedures. We also have no idea how many people got or had the disease as late as May because there wasn't the test infrastructure to do so on a wide scale - the advice was, if you think you have it, stay home unless you have to go to the hospital. But just going by what living in this petri dish is like, it was a lot.

We don't know exactly how many people got the virus, but we do know that it initially spreads exponentially, and that the number of new cases and new deaths will be accelerating until the peak is reached. So we should expect deaths to initially remain at the baseline level, while absolute case numbers are low, and then to rocket upwards after several weeks of doubling (eg doubling every two days, cases can go from 2 to 46,000 in a month).

So if you are right, and we had two months of free spread, there should be a big "undiagnosed" jump in deaths before the first case was seen at the beginning of March. Here you can see the excess death figures for NYC:

Deaths are basically flat and below the baseline level until 21st of March when they start increasing. With a 3 week lag, that puts the start of the spike at around the beginning of March, and widespread community transmission perhaps several weeks before, which matches up with evidence that the virus was already circulating at low levels in February.

"It is not known how many U.S. infections occurred during February and March, but overall disease incidence before February 28 was too low to be detected through emergency department syndromic surveillance data."

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6922e1.htm

Finally, if you look at the actual peak of the virus in NYC, it occurs at the exact same time there as it does in the state as a whole (https://gothamist.com/news/coronavirus-statistics-tracking-epidemic-new-york). If NYC really peaked because the virus "burnt out" there, shouldn't this have happened before the rest of the state, which had a proportionally smaller case/death count? Especially if your argument is that there were several months of free transmission time in NYC. And again if the virus has burnt out in NYC, then it's strange that R is still around 1, since without enough remaining susceptible population to infect it should rapidly die off.

(Obviously even if "only" 25% of the population of NYC is immune, that will still make it significantly easier to keep R below 1. And there may be specific neighbourhoods that do now have herd immunity – https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...dies-neighbourhoods-second-wave-a9612166.html )

pel1300

In transfer at Qatar Airport. Mask wearing mandatory but not really enforced. Most wear one. But even a few airport security guys strolling around mask less.

As for the plane ride, once meal time started a few ppl didn't bother to put the mask back on until the end of the flight.

"Please put your seat belt on" says flight attendant. Meanwhile another person in the same row just sitting her mask off.

Last edited:
My country reached a hundred thousand deaths today. Something about round numbers feel so heavy, so devastating. Our president said recently that "life goes on" and today as we hit that terrible number, he tweeted to congratulate a local soccer team on a meaningless championship. Let Brazil be an example of why this new kind of leadership centered around obscurantism and antagonism will lead you nowhere. As soon as you see an iceberg on the horizon, that's where motherfucker will take you. Sad we needed an example and even sadder that it comes at such an unbelievable cost, but never forget it. Never accept it, never condone it, never allow it again.

Joe T.

My country reached a hundred thousand deaths today. Something about round numbers feel so heavy, so devastating. Our president said recently that "life goes on" and today as we hit that terrible number, he tweeted to congratulate a local soccer team on a meaningless championship. Let Brazil be an example of why this new kind of leadership centered around obscurantism and antagonism will lead you nowhere. As soon as you see an iceberg on the horizon, that's where motherfucker will take you. Sad we needed an example and even sadder that it comes at such an unbelievable cost, but never forget it. Never accept it, never condone it, never allow it again.

Obscurantism is what allowed this to become a pandemic, we have the Chinese Communist Party to thank for that.

Chaplain

So what did she do precisely? Because they’re arresting her on a sidewalk with no one else around, so it’s a bit confusing.

From the article:

She claimed they had been standing in public “with a poster about Russian politics” when police approached them. She said both women were issued a $1652 fine for breaching coronavirus restrictions ... "Victoria Police confirmed two women holding placards were arrested. “The two females were requested to state their names and address, and produce identification as they were in breach of the chief health officer’s directions,” a police spokesperson said. “After numerous attempts from police to have the females provide their details which was refused, they were both arrested. “One of the females resisted arrest, and had to be taken to ground during the incident. Both females were issued with a $1,652 fine each for breaching the chief health officer’s directions and were released pending enquiries on further charges.”

Joe T.

No doubt the biggest offenders overall. It doesn't excuse the dismal situation and braindead leadership in some countries.

Some of the criticism is warranted, but I don't see it quite the same way from the 30,000 foot view. Some of the biggest weaknesses were baked into the cake in many of the larger countries and focusing the blame almost entirely on current leadership serves as a very convenient distraction for the CCP and those among us that chose unhealthy lifestyles. Brazil, Mexico, US and India, for example, all have large portions of their populations that are overweight, obese or in poor health.

I doubt there are too many leaders that will be able to look back on the first half of this year and say they did everything right, maybe one or two from the smaller or more isolated countries. Death tolls that are shoved in our faces every day with extremely irresponsible media coverage will naturally inflame tensions. As it was recently pointed out, public perception is way off base and that applies to a lot more than just the numbers.

Some of the criticism is warranted, but I don't see it quite the same way from the 30,000 foot view. Some of the biggest weaknesses were baked into the cake in many of the larger countries and focusing the blame almost entirely on current leadership serves as a very convenient distraction for the CCP and those among us that chose unhealthy lifestyles. Brazil, Mexico, US and India, for example, all have large portions of their populations that are overweight, obese or in poor health.

I doubt there are too many leaders that will be able to look back on the first half of this year and say they did everything right, maybe one or two from the smaller or more isolated countries. Death tolls that are shoved in our faces every day with extremely irresponsible media coverage will naturally inflame tensions. As it was recently pointed out, public perception is way off base and that applies to a lot more than just the numbers.

I can't speak for every country, but I can speak for mine. In this case, there are simple questions to be made. Could our current leader have dealt with the situation better? Would it have helped somewhat? Could the numbers have been reduced if there was ever a plan in place? Did he compare it to a common flu at any point? Did he say "so what?" when asked about the rising number of deaths? Did he fire two health ministers, one out for jealousy and the other to force that fucking bullshit thing that is HCQ? Did he leave that position vacant for two months? Did he propose we go out in the streets like men to get it? Did he play a part in our country running low on anesthetics leading to the risk of patients being intubated awake? Did he tweet about soccer while that number reached a hundred fucking thousand?

The answer to all of those is a resounding yes. The thing about facts is that no narratives can change them. You can deflect guilt, but it finds its way back to the guilty party. So while I won't pretend I know anything about what is happening in the US, Mexico or India, I do know what is happening in Brazil. And what's happening in Brazil can at the very least only be described as criminal negligence. And that's being kind. For me, it's a crime against humanity through and through.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Bret Weinstein made a good point in that while we may have an idea of how many lives COVID takes, we don’t yet have an idea of how much life COVID takes. Meaning, even people who survive or it hasn’t affected all that much... will it lower their life expectancy? Will people with neurological issues or heart inflammation live fulfilling lives? Will they die at an earlier age because of complications?

We just don’t know the magnitude of how much life it’s robbing from people and we won’t know that for a while.

Last edited:
Bret Weinstein made a good point in that while we may have an idea of how many loves COVID takes, we don’t yet have an idea of how much life COVID takes. Meaning, even people who survive or it hasn’t affected all that much... will it lower their life expectancy? Will people with neurological issues or heart inflammation live fulfilling lives? Will they die at an earlier age because of complications?

We just don’t know the magnitude of how much life it’s robbing from people and we won’t know that for a while.
I wonder how much life a lockdown takes....

Majukun

Indeed. It’s a fine line to walk. We hear about about the lives taken by the disease, but very little about lives being destroyed trying to stop it.

the thing is, if you don't keep the virus under control, the economy takes a hit even without lockdown.

i don't think anyone ever said that the lockdown is not an hurtful solution, but the covid issue ain't gonna solve itself

Joe T.

I can't speak for every country, but I can speak for mine. In this case, there are simple questions to be made. Could our current leader have dealt with the situation better? Would it have helped somewhat? Could the numbers have been reduced if there was ever a plan in place? Did he compare it to a common flu at any point? Did he say "so what?" when asked about the rising number of deaths? Did he fire two health ministers, one out for jealousy and the other to force that fucking bullshit thing that is HCQ? Did he leave that position vacant for two months? Did he propose we go out in the streets like men to get it? Did he play a part in our country running low on anesthetics leading to the risk of patients being intubated awake? Did he tweet about soccer while that number reached a hundred fucking thousand?

The answer to all of those is a resounding yes. The thing about facts is that no narratives can change them. You can deflect guilt, but it finds its way back to the guilty party. So while I won't pretend I know anything about what is happening in the US, Mexico or India, I do know what is happening in Brazil. And what's happening in Brazil can at the very least only be described as criminal negligence. And that's being kind. For me, it's a crime against humanity through and through.

I'm not trying to deflect guilt at all, I'm trying to give it the proper weight. Brazil, like every other large country, was doomed to suffer large losses with or without its current leadership. Would 50-75,000 deaths be preferable to 100,000? Most would reflexively say yes while still holding the same negative view of their leaders because, like the weaknesses I mentioned earlier, that's also baked in.

the thing is, if you don't keep the virus under control, the economy takes a hit even without lockdown.

i don't think anyone ever said that the lockdown is not an hurtful solution, but the covid issue ain't gonna solve itself
First there's no real way to know what would happen so it is very hard to discussion it. Second there is more to life than the economy. This has damaged society structurally. Freedoms people held very dearly are being cast aside. And not apologetically but with scorn being thrown at the people upset about it. Take this church in California:
Whether you agree with them or not is irrelevant. The first amendment is explicit about freedom of religion and the practice of religion.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof
Then you look at what the judge in California says from the article:
Guasco cited “an immediate threat to public health and safety due to the 2019 novel coronavirus” in his restraining order. “The Constitution is not a suicide pact,” he said. “The exercise of individual liberties has to be consistent with public health.”
A big part of a religious person's life is wrapped up in their religion. To tell them they cannot practice their religion when the ultimate law of the land says they are allowed to, and then scorn them as essentially suicidal is disgusting to me. This whole enterprise of using the government to enforce public health to the absolute destruction of personal liberty is insane. If this virus, which while bad, in the grand scheme is pretty insignificant, is enough to cost us our liberty as people, then we didn't value our liberty much to begin with.

Last edited:

WoJ

I am mostly a lurker at this site, but have followed this thread religiously since March. I felt the need to post this article I stumbled across today and also comment more generally:

I read a scientific journal (can't remember which one or else I'd link to it) back in early May that said similar. To me, articles like this are really positive, and I deeply wish that there was more discussion of what the long term strategy to manage this disease is.

I have many more thoughts on COVID, and the way this whole thing has been handled, masks, Fauci, all that. But I'll keep it to myself. Either way, I thought the above article was positive (and the most likely scenario), but no one in a leadership position or in the media is willing to really have a conversation about what this all means and what the end game and herd immunity looks like.

It's incredibly frustrating and infuriating as someone who has had a very difficult time dealing with this pandemic.

No doubt the biggest offenders overall. It doesn't excuse the dismal situation and braindead leadership in some countries.

In absolute numbers, of course 100.000 desths sound terrible. But the Death rate in Brazil os still smaller than most country.

Without a doubt, huge number of infection occured at home. Our country has a Very specific social condiction in wich small houses are filled with big famílies, with people who literally need to work to feed their family, otherwise there would be true famine and that, my friend, is pretty much destructive to the immune system wich could only lead to more deaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom