• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Core PS Gamers. If and when would you commit to PC gaming?

Whats the tipping point of making PC gaming your major hub?

• Recently converted to PC

Votes: 12 6.0%
  • I will convert only if tons more PS first party games go PC

Votes: 14 7.0%
  • I will convert based off recent official porting strategy (ports trickle in slowly like 1/yr)

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Not going anywhere. Will stick to PS no matter what PC strategy Sony does

Votes: 126 62.7%
  • Other

Votes: 42 20.9%

• Total voters

White-fire

There’s probably nothing that would convince me to go to PC if their currently strategy holds. The games release so infrequently and at a higher price than they do on PS4/5, there no reason to delay playing your favorite series new entry by 4/5 years just to use a keyboard and mouse. I also enjoy the console ecosystem much more.

I also wonder why people don’t ask this of Xbox gamers as often. Literally every game is day and date on PC, and some even skip Xbox until much later.

*Nightwing

As someone who works in IT and has to launch updates constantly via scripting to thousands of computers weekly and remote into the ones that fall out and need it done manually, there is no way I am wasting one second of my time configuring and updating manually as needed per game on PC when a console will do it automatically and all I need to do is turn it on and play. I don’t work for free

I'm a PS5/PC gamer that dislikes waiting for games to be ported to PC. So Sony sticking to their current strategy won't deter me at all from owning their future consoles.

The only time I may take pause is if they start releasing all their games day and date on PC but even then I'll probably still buy their consoles for the convenience.

I love PC gaming but there's something relaxing about playing games on consoles that is missing from PC gaming (not talking about controllers or gaming on a couch).

The small form factor of consoles and the fact i don't have to do any setups or tweaking with games means that I'll probably always own a console in addition to my PC.

Last edited:

welshrat

The thing is the living room experience is vastly different to gaming pc. I have both and appreciate what both have to offer but would not swap either. I am too old to sit at pc all evening especially as I am a programmer who sits there most days. I am aware that I could have a pc in the living room but I have been there and find that I much prefer the consoles there.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Would I ever switch to PC?
2R75fS0.png

Naw, I'm good.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I know about hibernate/sleep, but that's not really what I was asking. Can you do it with your controller? Can it bring you straight into gaming mode even if you were previously doing something else with the computer, or do you then have to manually open Steam and then open the game etc?
If the computer is on, and Steam is open, you can bring up Big Picture mode with a press of the gamepad's "home" button.

Might be two presses actually, one for focusing on Steam, and another to bring up BP mode, but I'm not sure.

Quasicat

I’m on a computer at work way too much as it is. I’m a console gamer and that’s pretty much where I’ll stay, except for PC exclusives, which are few and far between for me.

Brofist

I work an IT job with computers all day, and I...still don't give af I play on PC because playing a game on Steam and doing my job are 2 completely different things and when I play a game I want to play the best version not some 30fps garbage with no settings.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I work an IT job with computers all day, and I...still don't give af I play on PC because playing a game on Steam and doing my job are 2 completely different things and when I play a game I want to play the best version not some 30fps garbage with no settings.

This nonsense about looking computers all day is unreal. How is work related computing comparable to gaming?

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

demonstr8

Why do you care about what would make "core PS gamers" "commit" to PC gamers so much that you make a thread with a poll about it? That would be the more interesting question to ask.

When it’s all digital, or when ps4 and ps5 games don’t work on ps6+.

I PC game already with nice specs but it’s a secondary machine for me.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Luckily pretty much all PS5 games have 60fps options, and they're usually rock solid. I haven't played at single game at 30fps on my PS5 since I bought it. Many games even have three different graphics modes to choose from depending on what you prefer. So I guess that argument doesn't hold up anymore. But I guess your next one will be that 60 is also garbage.

Brofist

This nonsense about looking computers all day is unreal. How is work related computing comparable to gaming?

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN
The problem is there are still tons of misconceptions about PC gaming as you can see from topics like this. It's 2021 and people are still using the comfy couch logic, it's mind blowing.

Personally I don't really care where people play games, and I have no interest in converting anyone. I usually enter these topics to set a few idiots straight and leave.

Lethal01

If every Playstation Exclusive launched day 1 on PC then I would be mainly on PC but Sony isn't going to be dumb enough to do that anytime soon.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I dont think you get common usage of tvs, console, and pc. And the practicality of moving around a pc due to usage back and forth.

I feel like you're intentionally ignoring what I'm saying, because I have addressed this multiple times. A PC doesn't have to be a 50 pound box. A PC can be just as compact as a console, especially if we're talking about the current-gen behemoths. My desktop PC is the same size as my PS5. If I go to a friend's house I can take my PC with me, and I have done this many times.

Unless someone is single and does what they want and doesnt care about using a m/kb on a tray on their lap in front of their tv, most people are not going to be using their big screen tv for PC gaming as a focus. It'll be TV watching and/or console gaming. PCs have their own source of viewing (monitor), consoles dont come with one. And as I said people who either dont want to sit with tray on their lap using m/kb in front of a tv is going to be using a PC at a desk or on a table.

"Unless someone is single..." Are you serious? I'm married. This has nothing to do with someone's marital status. You don't need to use the mouse/keyboard for anything other than logging in and starting your game. You can also get a keyboard/mouse combo in a compact form factor to reduce space.

That takes up as much space as an Xbox Controller. Space is not an argument against the PC. Having to have a keyboard/mouse is not an argument when you're perfectly fine with a controller the exact same size being there.

Also, PCs don't have their own source of viewing anymore than a console does. Both can be connected to a TV or a monitor. You can't argue that the PC can't be connected to the TV/monitor, but that somehow the console is allowed to do this.

with tray on their lap using m/kb in front of a tv is going to be using a PC at a desk or on a table.

You're skewed thinking of playing PC games taking over a family's main TV is due to your situation. Vast majority of people dont want their PC hooked up to their tv for many reasons.

What is my situation? The only situation I have is that I'm living proof that you can use the PC just like a console while having the best of both worlds. Again, you can't argue that people don't want their PC hooked up to their TV, but that they also want their console hooked up to their TV. The console is a low-spec PC with a custom OS that is far more locked down than an actual PC has. Consoles aren't somehow inherently better hooked up to a TV than a PC is.

That's what I thought and hopefully what I'm gonna do next year.

Of course not everybody can have both the PC and the TV in the same room and buying a second TV and couch only for gaming is definitely not an ideal option.

The plug and play nature of consoles will always be a winning argument for them in my opinion.

I completely understand that not everyone can afford a good gaming PC, and that's why I said that finances are a valid reason to opt for a console over a PC. Especially with the cost of components in the current market. (It's crazy out there!)

To your other point, PCs and consoles have the same plug-and-play nature. They're both being hooked up by an HDMI cable to either a TV or a monitor. They both require you to log in and complete the setup when you first get it. They both require you to insert the game disc or download the game before you can play. If you get a controller both PC and console requires you to sync it with the device (or connect it via USB for a wired controller). I had far more problem syncing my PS4 controller to my PS4 than to my PC because I found out that you can't use any micro-USB cable to connect it in order for it to sync to the console. That's actually far less intuitive than it was for me to connect it to my PC. I guess I'm just not clear how a PC is not plug-and-play, but a console is. If I'm missing something definitely let me know!

Brofist

Luckily pretty much all PS5 games have 60fps options, and they're usually rock solid. I haven't played at single game at 30fps on my PS5 since I bought it. Many games even have three different graphics modes to choose from depending on what you prefer. So I guess that argument doesn't hold up anymore. But I guess your next one will be that 60 is also garbage.
That's good that 60fps is becoming more commonplace. I kind of got the impression that 60fps mode in console games came at a big expense of fidelity and things like RT but I could be wrong. I don't think 60fps is garbage though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's good that 60fps is becoming more commonplace. I kind of got the impression that 60fps mode in console games came at a big expense of fidelity and things like RT but I could be wrong. I don't think 60fps is garbage though.

RT @ 60fps is more uncommon for sure, but the arguably best looking game on the console (R&C) does it. Not at 4K (it's 1440p I believe), but that's difficult to do even with a high end PC.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
RT @ 60fps is more uncommon for sure, but the arguably best looking game on the console (R&C) does it. Not at 4K (it's 1440p I believe), but that's difficult to do even with a high end PC.

60 fps is definitely not garbage. I think the only time it truly matters is with multiplayer FPS games. The faster the refresh rate the better chance you have of reacting. But I don't play those anyway.

I will say, I am playing Tales of Arise at 4k with maxed out settings and resolution set to 200% (basically making it 8k), and I'm getting a minimum of 200 fps (except the cutscenes which only run at 60 fps), and I think that's awesome. I was lucky enough to find a 3090 in stock and get that, and sell my Strix 2080 TI (that I'd been using for over 2 years) for $1,200 (meaning the 3090 only cost me $400 out of pocket). The GPU shortage is the only reason I pulled the trigger on the 3090, because it inflated the used prices to exorbitant levels.

bender

What time is it?
I'd guess the same dumb reasons console games seem to care what platform other people play on? Immaturity? Who knows.

I'd say small dick syndrome or it is their first time owning a PC and they need to extol the virtues of what most gamers have realized for decades. Droll either way.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Why do PC Gamers care what platform other people play on? How droll.

Nobody should really care. Even though I think people are missing out by playing on a console, I definitely am not going to disparage console-players. I never understood why PC elitists thought it was necessary to insult console players.

Sentenza

The more I'm hanging around this forum, the more I'm starting to develop this irrational fear that sticking around may infect me with the mental illness that is Playstation fanboyism.
Most of you are borderline painful to even just read.

What a bunch of rabid autistics.

Last edited:

Rubik8

I buy some games on PC. But more than I’d like, I have issues with PC games that keep it from making it my primary platform.

June

The only reason to prefer a console over a gaming PC would be for console exclusives (which are starting to be brought to PC more frequently), or finances, or friends with consoles playing games without cross-play. There is no other reason to want to stay with a console instead of a (good) gaming PC.

- Having to play against keyboard and mouse users and having to use one yourself to remain competitive in anyway

- Hackers and cheaters

Those are two big reasons also

The biggest reason is money though, if money wasnt an issue then you could just get all consoles to experience the good things they offer. But if you got to make a choice between platforms then there are several drawbacks to PC gaming that make it a less desirable choice

baphomet

Once Playstation goes day 1 to PC will be the day I sell my PS5 and only game on PC.

Even with games like Deathloop running like shit on PC, it still runs and looks significantly better than a PS5 could ever do.

Ragnarok at 100+fps and ray tracing, fuck yeah.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
- Having to play against keyboard and mouse users and having to use one yourself to remain competitive in anyway

- Hackers and cheaters

Those are two big reasons also

The biggest reason is money though, if money wasnt an issue then you could just get all consoles to experience the good things they offer. But if you got to make a choice between platforms then there are several drawbacks to PC gaming that make it a less desirable choice

I was just as good at Halo (multiplayer) on PC (playing with an Xbox One controller) as I was when I played it on the Xbox One. There has been no evidence to support that keyboard/mouse players outclass controller players. At least, not that I am aware of.

There are cheaters and bans for virtually every platform. The question isn't, "Are there hackers/cheaters?" The question is, "What does the developer do to prevent hacking/cheating, and how do they punish the hackers/cheaters to keep the game fair?"

I don't understand your last point about the PC drawbacks unless the two you listed were the drawbacks you were referring to.

Top Bottom